Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

I'm trying to do this.

I find the place that seems to fit the description but nothing happens when I interact with the door.

am I missing something or is this bugged.

did you end up getting in somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Been playing this game for a while and love it. I got sucked in right away the Art is brilliant.

Some questions:
1. Does equipping thoughts change your personality and dialogue? Or is it just a perk to skills or exp/money gain?

2. Does the game have a time limit? Like if I don’t do something in day 1 does the option to do it permanently close for the rest of the game? Is there a game over screen if you take too long?

3. Can you recover from the problems you had prior to the start of the game? Like will the game reflect your attempts to become a competent, healthy and well adjusted person? Is that even possible? Can you change your appearance so you look less messed up/drunk/disheveled?

4. Does it matter much what your politics are? Can you change something in the world?

5. Do you have any options to pursue personal relationships or mend old ones?

6. Do you ever find out who you were, your name, who your ex wife is etc?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kraftwerk posted:

You can find your name, your old case book and some other stuff on day 1.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

SelenicMartian posted:

You can find your name, your old case book and some other stuff on day 1.

Okay so is it gone for good because I’m in day 2?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it’s not gone.

If you want a hint search the trash behind the hostel and talk to the union boss

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is this like Planescape where you want to have high points in certain skills to maximize the experience?

Just wondering what skills I should be putting the most points in to get the most out of the game, or if it's pretty equal no matter how you allocate points.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

theblackw0lf posted:

Is this like Planescape where you want to have high points in certain skills to maximize the experience?

Just wondering what skills I should be putting the most points in to get the most out of the game, or if it's pretty equal no matter how you allocate points.

The idea is each specialization gets it's own variation of events - higher points in anything are better than an even spread in all.
They've done a decent job of making them all equally valid, unlike planescape which really has one ideal build. you want to be a strong drunk, or an authority/cop figure, or unhinged psychic - they are all very valid.

with any given build you'll fail many different things and succeed where it counts - the idea is to embrace being mostly bad at things and scrape through with that you are good at.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

theblackw0lf posted:

Any skill is a good skill to put points in. Don't try to minmax, just put things in what you think would be interesting.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

theblackw0lf posted:

Everything seems pretty good. I'm running a physique psyche guy and he gets a lot from both. I can't imagine intellect getting less or motorics.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

theblackw0lf posted:

it's pretty equal no matter how you build yourself, i would say if you're not sure what kind of role you are playing then try to make sure you have no dump stats rather than trying to boost some stats to extreme levels. your stats should support your preferred playstyle, rather than trying to tailor your playstyle to make the most of your stats

in fact, the game punishes minmaxing by making your high point stats become more dominant, often compelling you to do dumb poo poo

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

luxury handset posted:

it's pretty equal no matter how you build yourself, i would say if you're not sure what kind of role you are playing then try to make sure you have no dump stats rather than trying to boost some stats to extreme levels

in fact, the game punishes minmaxing by making your high point stats become more dominant, often compelling you to do dumb poo poo

But isn't that the point? I say as I throw a ball into the sea to showcase my manly muscles.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, throwing the ball into the sea is the exact situation i had in mind lol

"hm, maybe these guys will be impressed if i just butt in..." *yeet* *splash* "well, that didn't work, but drat i threw that fucker pretty far"

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

ymgve posted:

1. I have no idea what that even is
2. You get it crossed off your list after being inside the boardwalk building
3. I think it's story gated, but would love to know if anyone found a way out there before big standoff

Gotcha. Thanks but...

How do you get inside the building? The only thing I can interact with is the billboard on the side and there's no skill checks or anything there..

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

willing to settle posted:

Gotcha. Thanks but...

How do you get inside the building? The only thing I can interact with is the billboard on the side and there's no skill checks or anything there..

Progress through other quests related to the murder

Spoiler hint: finish up everything related to the hardy boys if you haven’t

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I appreciate any game which lets me borrow my partners gun then threaten to kill myself as a way to assert authority.

it was a good idea HONEST

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Zikan posted:

Yeah I've done this, still nothing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

I appreciate any game which lets me borrow my partners gun then threaten to kill myself as a way to assert authority.

buddy, sometimes you've just gotta prove a point no matter the cost

Char
Jan 5, 2013
My playthrough ended abruptedly, I've gone ironman. All saves deleted.

I provoked the union boys so much they shot me dead in the cafeteria. Whoa guys, keep it cool!

Restarting as 1263 Half Life rear end in a top hat.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zikan posted:

How did you get in, by the way?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i found out what my real name was but it still says "name unknown" on my profile because i rejected it

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ymgve posted:

How did you get in, by the way?

big spoiler, don't read unless you are pretty close to the end

after shaking down the hardy boys, questioning the washerwoman, finding the secret compartment in the shack, and then questioning the washer woman with the new info; i went to the billboard in the abandoned warehouse and got a challenging Shivers check to make. it gets bonuses from various sidequests and thing you learn in the world so i was able to make it even with low shivers. i then was able to sneak through the sewers into the warehouse.

i'm fairly certain finishing the basement quest starts the endgame quest line that bring you to the crisis of the story so don't do it until you're ready to. it's either this quest or hitting night of day 5, not sure yet

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol I got a heart attack from reading an incredibly boring book

"It will physically hurt to keep reading"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im in the first room of this game and its loving amazing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This made me laugh more than it probably should have:

It's just a cropped out of context comment by Conceptualization.

Al! posted:

i found out what my real name was but it still says "name unknown" on my profile because i rejected it

Guess it's not really your name then. You'd know best, wouldn't you?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I went 2-4-4-2 with Suggestion and realized I've basically made James Bond. I'm only about an hour in but already in love with this weird hilarious game.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

put ONE gun in your mouth and suddenly its all kim wants to talk about

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kraftwerk posted:

Been playing this game for a while and love it. I got sucked in right away the Art is brilliant.

Some questions:
1. Does equipping thoughts change your personality and dialogue? Or is it just a perk to skills or exp/money gain?

2. Does the game have a time limit? Like if I don’t do something in day 1 does the option to do it permanently close for the rest of the game? Is there a game over screen if you take too long?

3. Can you recover from the problems you had prior to the start of the game? Like will the game reflect your attempts to become a competent, healthy and well adjusted person? Is that even possible? Can you change your appearance so you look less messed up/drunk/disheveled?

4. Does it matter much what your politics are? Can you change something in the world?

5. Do you have any options to pursue personal relationships or mend old ones?

It took me a while to figure out but I realized that stat changed from having thoughts internalized and solved never go away, even when they arent activated. Presumably the other stuff doesn't too.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This game whips insane amounts of rear end

(mild early-game communism spoilers)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zikan posted:

big spoiler, don't read unless you are pretty close to the end

after shaking down the hardy boys, questioning the washerwoman, finding the secret compartment in the shack, and then questioning the washer woman with the new info; i went to the billboard in the abandoned warehouse and got a challenging Shivers check to make. it gets bonuses from various sidequests and thing you learn in the world so i was able to make it even with low shivers. i then was able to sneak through the sewers into the warehouse.

i'm fairly certain finishing the basement quest starts the endgame quest line that bring you to the crisis of the story so don't do it until you're ready to. it's either this quest or hitting night of day 5, not sure yet

So you used the billboard and passed the skill check too. I’m wondering if someone has entered the building without doing that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Cubo made me his bitch. I probably shouldn't have pushed that conversation, I didn't like that the only "winning" option was to full on punch him in the face.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

PantsBandit posted:

Cubo made me his bitch. I probably shouldn't have pushed that conversation, I didn't like that the only "winning" option was to full on punch him in the face.

kids had a hard fuckin life let him have his fun, pig

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The first night I played, I listened to my Inner Empire and not looked in the mirror. Last night, I decided "gently caress it", went back, and took a look.

:stonk:

Oh god why didn't I listen? WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Am I gonna... give drugs to the kid

Like obviously on the surface it's a terrible idea but my Esprit de Corps is trying to convince me that this will be a good thing down the line somehow. And Esprit de Corps is like, one of the few... honest skills? Or I guess more accurately, skills without an "agenda", as far as I can tell. I'm also curious how this will go, because I don't think this game is just gonna leave it at "lol of course you don't do that"

Don't answer it though I was kinda being rhetorical. I'm probably gonna end up doing it, just behind Kim's back

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Davincie posted:

did you end up getting in somehow?

for anyone else stuck at this point, i can't help but notice that screen shot was taken at night time or early morning, and the quest pretty explicitly requires you to go there first during the day because they want the guy to come home from work and see that his house was vandalized.

have you tried going to that location in the day, or is it just non-interactive no matter what?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

alcoholism, social awkwardness, getting owned by 10 year olds, man this game really is a goon simulator

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for anyone else stuck at this point, i can't help but notice that screen shot was taken at night time or early morning, and the quest pretty explicitly requires you to go there first during the day because they want the guy to come home from work and see that his house was vandalized.

have you tried going to that location in the day, or is it just non-interactive no matter what?

I went there late at night so that's probably not the issue here.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What do the dead guy's boots do? I'm trying to play an honest cop here, but I wanna know what I'd get for being a little less rigid.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i submitted a bug report to the devs, and in my screenshot it was 16:36, so i doubt the time of day is the issue. its just non interactive. possibly however, i waited to long after getting the key?

CommissarMega posted:

What do the dead guy's boots do? I'm trying to play an honest cop here, but I wanna know what I'd get for being a little less rigid.

+2 authority, -1 composure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Freaking Crumbum posted:

It probably doesn't have anything to do with time of day because that guy doesn't come home until later in the story.