Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

What wondrous sort of games shall we expect under glorious future communism, though?

Supposedly the Soviets had an arcade cabinet based on that Afghan game where you ride around on horseback tossing around a headless goat corpse, presumably more stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Don Gato posted:

Supposedly the Soviets had an arcade cabinet based on that Afghan game where you ride around on horseback tossing around a headless goat corpse, presumably more stuff like that.

Excuse me, there's an arcade style Buzkashi game? I'm trying to google it but I can't find poo poo, and I would really like to see that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Serious note: Soviet gaming existed. By that time Soviets decided to stop making their own PCs and just copied IBM. Same happened with videogames. Like the most popular handheld game was a copy of this thing: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/45/36/624536f08e2f7e909fcd672ced7bbedb.jpg with a wolf from a Soviet cartoon but even the egg theme was still there. PC game copies were more like localized pirated games made by an enthusiast.

So I'd say communist videogame market wouldn't look that different from modern mobile games made by all those cheap development companies.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why has no-one said Tetris yet?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Well yeah, there's also Samizdat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Why has no-one said Tetris yet?
Because it's unbelievably boring. :colbert:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MAME actually emulates a number of old Soviet and East German arcade games if anyone ever wants to actually try one. Overall, they're bizarre at best and completely unplayable at worst so I wouldn't really recommend it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
VIsit Moscow or St. Petersburg and see for yourself.

http://15kop.ru/en/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ilitarst posted:

Serious note: Soviet gaming existed.

Soviet hardware still lagged behind the standard of the west, and didn't really proliferate throughout consumers very well. They also decided to one-up the west when there was a scare against violent videogames by outlawing all violence in videogames.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xndvitLa8

Overall, I feel like in a command economy, luxury goods like entertainment would always lag behind in funding, and development of new things or genres will have a harder uphill battle to justify themselves to the central authority rather than being able to find a niche market.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I know about USSR hardware cause I was taught by a guy who developed it and I did some lab work with it. This video is about East Germany and be mindful about it being the most progressive country in the Soviet Block.

It depends with luxury in a command economy. When USSR wanted to compete with the West they spared no resources on movies, sport, circus, and ballet. I imagine that if they decided that video games are serious business they'd do some big budget production; but it might be as likely they'd consider it kids stuff.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'd always heard that the olds in charge of the ussr were kind of dismissive of electronic computers and kept them as a middling priority until the late 70s

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

Excuse me, there's an arcade style Buzkashi game? I'm trying to google it but I can't find poo poo, and I would really like to see that.

I looked into it and turns out I fell for a hoax, there's an article written by the guy who made it. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed now.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I hope the AIDS-Waters of capitalism (I call it crapitalism) hold off on the shores of paradox for as long as possible. I like these games and no other company fills this niche.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I'd always heard that the olds in charge of the ussr were kind of dismissive of electronic computers and kept them as a middling priority until the late 70s

The Soviets actually thought that computers would be the salvation of the command economy; the problem was that they were always a decade behind the curve in implementation and also, as this video (which is a fascinating watch if you're into Soviet history and have 45 minutes to kill) and Victoria 2 both adequately demonstrate, a functioning economy is beyond the ability of a computer program to control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fascinating. they must have been pissed when Chile got overthrown considering Allende was gonna introduce a partial command economy that was computerized from the get go

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think the Soviets would like the Victoria: Revolutions model since capitalism always falls behind when your capitalist POPs decide to spend their money buying multiple airplanes every day instead of building factories.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lum_ posted:

The Soviets actually thought that computers would be the salvation of the command economy; the problem was that they were always a decade behind the curve in implementation and also, as this video (which is a fascinating watch if you're into Soviet history and have 45 minutes to kill) and Victoria 2 both adequately demonstrate, a functioning economy is beyond the ability of a computer program to control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3gwyHNo7MI

the soviet approach to computing can be seen as exactly the same kind of wrong-headed belief in the power of the algorithm that was iconic of 2008-2016 in business and politics in the US and is still kicking around among the social media giants

the irony of course is that walmart and amazon have demonstrated that computers were perfect for the most serious problem facing the soviet economy - distribution - although the tech of the time certainly wasn't up to it regardless.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

We're going weird places with this thread but the problem with distribution in Soviet union was never computational, it was ideological.

My favorite trivia is that some of the train routes were called "sausage trains". People from small towns and villages got onto it in special times to get to capitals or big cities. They knew that at the end of fiscal month shops will drop on the counter sausages they wanted to sell under the counter but couldn't find a buyer. It was a mass movement, something everyone knew about. Imagine that, the system moved better goods into cities to make it look more prosperous. It had to be sold for the state sanctioned low price and so shop owners didn't want to sell it at all. And the vast resources were spent on allowing people visit cities to buy stuff. No CPU can do anything with a system like that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ilitarist posted:

It depends with luxury in a command economy. When USSR wanted to compete with the West they spared no resources on movies, sport, circus, and ballet. I imagine that if they decided that video games are serious business they'd do some big budget production; but it might be as likely they'd consider it kids stuff.

"When they wanted to" is kinda the key phrase there, since centralized bureaucracy will always be slower to acknowledge the prominence and importance of some dumb new thing, even before you get into ideological hangups or institutional inertia. Without the west providing an example and competition, I'm not sure how far they'd go. I feel like that's extra salient for this thread, since Paradox's games are incredibly weird and niche to outsiders.

And if you look at it from the other angle, it may be easier to let a free market do its weird dumb thing and then regulate it after the fact to curtail bad things. Hopefully those countries looking at regulating lootboxes will start pushing back against some of the worst mobile games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Paradox confirmed going further into free-to-play: https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1184878409178066945

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Anyway, topical news!

Paradox Sale has reached Steam and Crusader Kings 2 is now free. But it doesn't say "free till Monday" or anything, just free. Do you think it's forever f2p?

Edit: yes, it's free forever.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 17, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
At some point when a game is really just a foundation for DLC sales it's just good business sense to make it free.

They ain't giving it away because they expect everyone to just play the base game forever.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It also significantly lowers the chance of them rolling old essential expansions into the base game, like Legacy of Rome for retunies.

Still it's good and somewhat more honest. I think the famous paywall of DLC that new player sees is much more approachable once you play the base game a little.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I hope they've got a whole load of things to announce and they decided to order the announcements from worst to best

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I guess thats almost confirms CK3 is coming?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm putting my money down on this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
CK3 but only with a handful of starting counts and dates playable with others being unlocked via lootbox gambling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rynoto posted:

CK3 but only with a handful of starting counts and dates playable with others being unlocked via lootbox gambling.

CK3 Mobile exclusive to Epic Games confirmed poggers.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Poil posted:

Because it's unbelievably boring. :colbert:

Tetris is a perfect video game, sorry about your offensively awful taste.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hopefully it takes less then a year and less then two DLCs to get good after its released.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rynoto posted:

"Tired of only getting Comet events? Buy a Fun Pack and get a random random event added to your game. Afraid of duplicates? Don't be, any duplicates merely increase the chance of the event occurring so you can have more fun, sooner!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rynoto posted:

CK3 but only with a handful of starting cousins to date.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SlothfulCobra posted:

Overall, I feel like in a command economy, luxury goods like entertainment would always lag behind in funding, and development of new things or genres will have a harder uphill battle to justify themselves to the central authority rather than being able to find a niche market.

Good. The revolution cannot triumph without the deliberate execution of Gamers.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ck2 has gone free enough times that it probably doesn't mean a drat thing tbh.

also, geez, it's seven years old

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Poor Vicky, gonna go through one entire generation of the other Paradox franchise games before it finally gets some love.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm going to die of disappoint if they don't announce Vicky 3 tomorrow.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

cheesetriangles posted:

Can we make this the permanent thread title?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

Didn't they explicitly say it wasn't Vicky 3 because they hate us?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

AnoHito posted:

Didn't they explicitly say it wasn't Vicky 3 because they hate us?

It's becayse they haven't thought to steal the assets from Imperialism II yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Obliterati posted:

It's becayse they haven't thought to steal the assets from Imperialism II yet

They need to colonize the developer of it first. Or at least sphere it.