Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
what a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

Turkey and the US just agreed to a 120 hour cease fire conditional on the SDF withdrawing from Turkey's 'safe zone' and turning over all heavy weapons.

The SDF says they had no knowledge of this agreement

President Deals!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/ynms79797979/status/1184827342713176064

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Smirking_Serpent posted:

THIS IS SO loving STUPID

yeah

it's cool

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

THIS IS SO loving STUPID

I wonder how much of history had people just like us, watching countries get into wars that tore them apart, who looked on powerless to do much of anything and going "what the gently caress, this is the dumbest fuckin' thing in the world" or if that's a modern phenomenon due to how information can spread. It was a lot harder to know just how much of a bad idea WWI was gonna be back then as a random observer in another country than it is for us now to watch this profoundly dumb and cruel travesty play out.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184919982330785792

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184922290246639616?s=20

looks like the SDF aren't confident they can hold Ras Al Ain

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

I wonder how much of history had people just like us, watching countries get into wars that tore them apart, who looked on powerless to do much of anything and going "what the gently caress, this is the dumbest fuckin' thing in the world" or if that's a modern phenomenon due to how information can spread. It was a lot harder to know just how much of a bad idea WWI was gonna be back then as a random observer in another country than it is for us now to watch this profoundly dumb and cruel travesty play out.

these are some good high thoughts, gonna ponder them sometime soon

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

Well, I guess that back when it literally took days to get whatever meager reports were available it was much easier for the ruling classes to hide their staggering incompetence.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ofc the flipside was that whenever there was a cockup too big to hide then the reaction was also much stronger

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kwharezmian Shah decapitating a Mongol envoy was a pretty big gently caress up

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
p hard to cover up a hundred thousand pissed off Mongols ravaging your land, yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
leaders have always been dumb but they didn’t have to tell the poors about what stupid poo poo they were doing

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Grondoth posted:

George Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, so humans have known that they are completely hosed since at least 1948.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

some insane self-deprecation by that minister lol

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pryor on Fire posted:

George Orwell wrote 1984 in 1948, so humans have known that they are completely hosed since at least 1948.

well I mean two world wars probably made a lot of people aware of how dumb and gently caress everything is

now we can even watch all the dumb and gently caress get live tweeted which is a huge improvement too!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
so the net effect of this on the ground is that the SDF will effectively cede the areas Turkey has already captured to Turkey, along with the remainder of Ras al-Ain, which the Turks had not captured yet but were probably about to. in exchange they will receive, uh, nothing, near as I can tell.

that the SDF agreed to this tells me that they are not confident they can hold the Turks back even with Russian and SAA support, and it's difficult to see this as anything other than a straight up defeat for them.

like, Turkey doesn't get anything close to all the territory they wanted, but they still get quite a bit, with absolutely nothing preventing them from just taking more in a few days after they've had some time to lick their wounds.

also the Syrian government were of course not included in these talks at all and are probably not going to accept Turkey essentially just unilaterally annexing a big chunk of their country, not that they are in any position to do anything about it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Both the Korean War and the Gulf War were caused directly by the US not being clear that they would absolutely fight for their client state if they were attacked. Not entirely convinced it wasn't intentional in the Gulf War but Kim il Sing absolutely believed the US wouldn't fight in Korea and I believe that was a legit cockup on the part of US diplomats and that we would have really preferred not to fight in that war.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Mister Bates posted:

so the net effect of this on the ground is that the SDF will effectively cede the areas Turkey has already captured to Turkey, along with the remainder of Ras al-Ain, which the Turks had not captured yet but were probably about to. in exchange they will receive, uh, nothing, near as I can tell.

that the SDF agreed to this tells me that they are not confident they can hold the Turks back even with Russian and SAA support, and it's difficult to see this as anything other than a straight up defeat for them.

like, Turkey doesn't get anything close to all the territory they wanted, but they still get quite a bit, with absolutely nothing preventing them from just taking more in a few days after they've had some time to lick their wounds.

also the Syrian government were of course not included in these talks at all and are probably not going to accept Turkey essentially just unilaterally annexing a big chunk of their country, not that they are in any position to do anything about it.
so a few dozen american fobs were all that was keeping turkey from annexing parts of northern syria?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

If this is true, the part I don't get is why Turkey would agree to it. I get 100% why every Syrian faction wants time to reorganize defenses, move troops around, plan, etc., but Turkey has been 100% planning this for a while, what do they need time for?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Azathoth posted:

If this is true, the part I don't get is why Turkey would agree to it. I get 100% why every Syrian faction wants time to reorganize defenses, move troops around, plan, etc., but Turkey has been 100% planning this for a while, what do they need time for?

to get the US off their backs.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

:discourse:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol @ arnold's stunt double

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Syrian government is at least saying they oppose the "deal"
https://twitter.com/ZeinakhodrAljaz/status/1184933888940036096?s=20

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

how much longer can the fiction that trump is putin's puppet withstand reality

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean depending on how this plays out this has worked out extremely well for Putin.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean depending on how this plays out this has worked out extremely well for Putin.

yeah this is simultaneously gonna work out real well for russia but not because our big wet president had anything to do with it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What the SDF gets out of the deal is that they get to withdraw YPG/SDF fighters and PYD personnel from Ras al Ain instead of letting them all be destroyed. TFSA cut off the southern road to the city and there's no telling if the SAA could reopen it because there's already been fighting between them and the FSA around Tell Amr.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

CharlestheHammer posted:

how

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gratitude from the Kurds who have a historically good relationship with Russia, and solidifying the position of Syria in the ongoing civil war. Russia just proved that they're a trustworthy partner to their potential client states, and that they can make things happen diplomatically and not just militarily. The message is that you're better off working with Russia than the United States, who will betray you as soon as it's convenient.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

it brought the Kurds and their oil back into Syria.

they have lost territory so it’s not the best outcome but better than the old SQ.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
doesn't it take some shine off of their prestige project that a piece of territory gets sliced off of syria though

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

only a bit, and only if it stays that way. i still think Turkey is primarily looking to forcibly resettle all their refugees on de jure syrian soil so if they can't hold what they take in syria, they can cut a peace deal back to the old border and still call it a win

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
yeah, most of the territory the Turks have taken is basically empty countryside and some villages that were already mostly abandoned from the war, only two major population centers (really only one, the SDF is voluntarily abandoning the second because they don't think they can hold it). it's still definitely a victory for Turkey but it's not at all a crippling loss for Syria or for the SDF. if they think they can capture and hold more territory they will likely try, but worst case scenario they'll probably be willing to accept just dumping all 3 million Syrian refugees they've got out in the patch of desert they've captured, declaring 'mission accomplished' and leaving.

also with regards to the oil going back to Syria, it's worth noting that US/Coalition forces have still not left the part of the country where all the oil fields are and give no indication that they're in any hurry to do so, nor have Syrian government forces been able to cross the lines into that area.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

When you think about it, where is the lie?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ZeinakhodrAljaz/status/1184972149808873472?s=20

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mister Bates posted:

also with regards to the oil going back to Syria, it's worth noting that US/Coalition forces have still not left the part of the country where all the oil fields are and give no indication that they're in any hurry to do so, nor have Syrian government forces been able to cross the lines into that area.

Once the situation with Turkey stabilizes, the huge hypocrisy that is US troops holding Deir should prove untenable even if the KRG keeps the Dhiban crossing open for resupply.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
this one has been swinging and developing so fast, I wouldn't even attempt to read the tea leaves yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Both the Korean War and the Gulf War were caused directly by the US not being clear that they would absolutely fight for their client state if they were attacked. Not entirely convinced it wasn't intentional in the Gulf War but Kim il Sing absolutely believed the US wouldn't fight in Korea and I believe that was a legit cockup on the part of US diplomats and that we would have really preferred not to fight in that war.

honestly, i'd guess that the US themselves weren't confident they'd fight for their client states until poo poo started happening

the US made a point of limiting South Korea's military power to keep them in check, and the US didn't really care about Kuwait specifically