Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stringent posted:

I've been once and it was nice yeah. I like visiting Kawagoe in general tho.
Cool, I might check it out then! I’m too likely to just sit in a Taito Station and play Chunithm all day if I don’t make plans.

I see that it’s Maru the dog’s birthday on the 20th on the shop website. Anyone know if the shop is open on that day or should I pop in early?

Edit: TeamLab borderless would be great if I could see the exhibits behind everyone getting the perfect instagram selfie

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I think Odaiba is pretty good. Shopping, activities, a fake beach, great sunsets. I suppose if you live 30 minutes away from Mall of America then yeah, Odaiba would seem pretty same-y. Personally one of the things I like about Tokyo is the contrast between the different areas and neighborhoods, so while I'm certainly an advocate of butt-chugging highballs in the tachinomis of cramped alleys, it's also nice to have some open sky once in a while.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

harperdc posted:

It’s also because Odaiba is now flooded with mainland Chinese.

We’re also to the point where TeamLab Borderless is on the checklist for Americans and other western tourists. I went a year ago and then again a couple weeks back and it was noticeably more crowded this year.

Yeah, while I won't say it's 'ruined', it would be wise to look into the quietest times to go if people are keen. If there is such a thing. It was very cool regardless, but I can imagine it being a lot chiller and generally better if there weren't internal queues of 20+ minutes to get into some parts of it, and essentially every room bustling with way more people than they were probably ever anticipated to handle.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

lmao if you dont just keep buying gunpla at Odaiba

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Only buy special or hard to find one there. They're more expensive than any other store

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Absolutely guilty of being an Odaiba tourist

Futurism museum and TeamLABS was 100% worth though. Go as early as you can, avoid the rush.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

lmao if you dont just keep buying gunpla at Odaiba

How is the Gundam store there? I went to the Gundam Cafe in Osaka Expo Park and that had a pretty awesome Neo Zeon soup/ramen bowl that I didn't buy but should have, so I'm looking to pick it up the next time I'm in Japan.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Archer666 posted:

How is the Gundam store there? I went to the Gundam Cafe in Osaka Expo Park and that had a pretty awesome Neo Zeon soup/ramen bowl that I didn't buy but should have, so I'm looking to pick it up the next time I'm in Japan.

If you're a fan, you'd mainly there for the store exclusives kits. I'm not sure about the other merchandise like those you found at the cafe.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
japan is loving boss

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

festivals good always seek festivals

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stumbling Block posted:

If you're a fan, you'd mainly there for the store exclusives kits. I'm not sure about the other merchandise like those you found at the cafe.

There's also the StrictG store if you want some Gundam themed clothing and accessores: https://www.instagram.com/strictg_official/?hl=en

Though be prepared to pay, it's pretty much all collabs with Japanese fashion chains: https://p-bandai.jp/strict-g/

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 17, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Archer666 posted:

its mostly gunpla and i dunno about the osaka one but they definitely have 10x the gunpla the gundam cafe in akihabara has.

But like someone else said 90% of the kits are ones any shop in Japan would sell, but they do have some exclusive kits.

I just like Gunpla and it's right on the way to haneda so I usually grab any kits I want on my way out there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Oh no, apparently the Natsuge Museum arcade closed down last month! There’s been a surprising amount of stuff closed recently of closing soon from my itinerary!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh no...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was told that Akihabara was even worse than before for it being catered entirely to tourists, I have to go see for myself.

I remember there being a taiyaki stall near a Club Sega at least so I can finally try some of that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

its mostly gunpla and i dunno about the osaka one but they definitely have 10x the gunpla the gundam cafe in akihabara has.

But like someone else said 90% of the kits are ones any shop in Japan would sell, but they do have some exclusive kits.

I just like Gunpla and it's right on the way to haneda so I usually grab any kits I want on my way out there.

Do they have any frame arms girls

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Question Mark Mound posted:

Oh no, apparently the Natsuge Museum arcade closed down last month! There’s been a surprising amount of stuff closed recently of closing soon from my itinerary!
Warehouse in Kawasaki is closing down next month too.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

leather fedora posted:

oh poo poo, that clinches that I’m gonna head there this weekend then - was wavering.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ever want to see Japan own China on a volleyball rally from the 1983 Asia Championship? boy, do I have good news for you! you came to the right place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLw95lAUQU&t=757s

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve been able to work out how to pick tickets for a concert on a Lawson Loppi machine but it then asks me for a Ponta card and then I get totally stuck. What am I doing wrong?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve been able to work out how to pick tickets for a concert on a Lawson Loppi machine but it then asks me for a Ponta card and then I get totally stuck. What am I doing wrong?

Tell it you don’t have one and keep it moving.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

Tell it you don’t have one and keep it moving.
It just brought me back to an empty keyword search screen. Is there a “checkout” button somewhere to get the receipt to give to the counter?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Has any goon here been to Tobu World Square? If so, was it any good?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

It just brought me back to an empty keyword search screen. Is there a “checkout” button somewhere to get the receipt to give to the counter?
Oh, some searching online implies I gotta put in my name and phone number on the next screen after skipping Ponta?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, some searching online implies I gotta put in my name and phone number on the next screen after skipping Ponta?

Name (in katakana, plus furigana) then the phone number screen yes.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

leather fedora posted:

Literally closing the day we're leaving Japan.

I'm sad it's shutting down but I'm glad we'll have a chance to see it at least.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Trying the Loppi machine again. Does it not let you buy same-day tickets? The gig isn’t showing up on the search any more.

Either that or maybe it sold out?
Dunno who the person is but my friend seemed excited and they look gothy so that’s cool: https://veats.jp/schedule/489/

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 19, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like tickets were on sale from August so yeah likely it’s sold out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Fair enough! My friend was able to a ticket to the rugby game tonight so they wouldn’t have been going and if I don’t know the artist I probably wouldn’t have gone by myself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Do they have any frame arms girls

Those are made by Kotobukiya not Bandai so no.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Where can I find a store selling bottles of Ichiro’s Single Malt, like the Mizunara Oak? Most seem to barely have any selection out of a few terrible Mars whiskies...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

movax posted:

Where can I find a store selling bottles of Ichiro’s Single Malt, like the Mizunara Oak? Most seem to barely have any selection out of a few terrible Mars whiskies...

Not a whiskey drinker personally, but have you checked Tanakaya in Mejiro? They're supposed to have a p good selection.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Liquors Hasegawa in the Yaesu part of Tokyo Station has a poo poo ton of stuff, I always found what I was looking for there.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Are you talking about regular MWR? Shouldn't be too hard to find.

https://www.nomunication.jp/2019/08/13/where-to-buy-japanese-whisky-in-tokyo-maybe/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ya'll gonna watch Japan vs South Africa in a bit? no way I make it based on where I am, but hope Japan pulls out another miracle

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Flying back tomorrow morning and yet again I have a bag full of 1 yen and 5 yen coins that I don’t want. :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I put mine in a big pile I call Mt. Spendmore. It grows every year.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go donate them to shrines

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

peanut posted:

I have the same problem and this is a brilliant solution, thank you.

Also, shout out to the group of rugby fans who, after failing to argue their way into a bar, shouted to another random group of rugby fans walking by "HEY! Watch out! You have to be POLITE here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

I’m suuuuper shrined out. Although I might do that at the start of my next trip, at the airport now.