Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Wild Horses posted:

its his username in forums and irc

ah, cool. thanks

TraderStav posted:

Her kidnapping could be the original event where she started forking personalities to cope.

Thematically similar but I think the show said that Elliot got locked in a server room or something by his coworkers once and had a break down.

Wild Horses posted:

i'm gonna humor the Darlene theory a bit by asking: does angela know?

she talks with both "sides" after all, and calls them their name.

I would guess that she knew. Randomly made me think of the fact that Elliot's had a crush on Angela (and she wasn't interested) and Elliot was always jealous of and stalked the dudes Angela dated.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wild Horses posted:

She knows about Elliot and Mr. Robot, I wouldn't put it past her.
One of the supportive points about the Darlene theory is how she's never around whenever they show Elliot's mom.
Another supportive point about Darlene theory: There are 4 chairs at what I am now calling the "Elliot's brain table" at the end of the latest episode. One is for Elliot, one is for Mr. Robot, one is for Darlene, and the last one is for the mystery person who told Darlene not to worry about Vera. Still calling Sam Sepiol on that one.
One of my qualms with the Darlene theory is that means the entire "Elliot was in prison" plotline was pointless filler. Which is exactly what I called it towards the end of Season 2. However, by being the filler, it actually supports the Darlene theory.

I might be on board with the Darlene theory. Now I want to see a flashback of her trying to make out with herself.

TraderStav posted:

Don't kink shame
I said I want to see it. No shame there!

I may as well add that, as good faith as my posting usually is, I don't believe the Darlene theory. Although I could keep making points that support it (Elliot and Darlene sound exactly the same in the Happy Mother's Day tape. We only see Dom's stuff through Darlene's eyes so anything involving Elliot could be in her head, including seeing his face on the board) there's just too much poo poo that happens separately between Elliot and Darlene to make sense of it on a rewatch.

*Tinfoil hat on* Maybe Elliot as a person exists, but he's actually Sam Sepiol, and he doesn't even know who Darlene is, but Darlene imparts her Elliot persona onto him oooooo (I give up now.)

Though now I'm wondering if Shayla is just in Elliot's head.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 17, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Don't kink shame

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
the other personality IS vera and elliot killed shayla :tinfoil:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At this point the only thing I'm really convinced about is that Elliot has never been Elliot and it must be someone else all along.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m mildly concerned that this season is going to down a Metal Gear Solid-style rabbit hole.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

I’m mildly concerned that this season is going to down a Metal Gear Solid-style rabbit hole.
That's something to be concerned about?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rageaholic posted:

That's something to be concerned about?

I mean, I hope they get the big, dramatic final CQC fight between Whiterose and Elliot atop Arsenal Gear correct.

Also, nanomachines.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The Darlene theory is plausible because it goes back to themes from the first season, which would make sense if it's meant to be the planned ending of the plot they started with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Listening to these theories about who the third personality could be just further cements the idea that it being any established character is going to be stupid and it's gonna be really hard to write themselves out of this dumb hole. If it's any established character than Elliot has the magical ability to be in multiple places at once and everyone who talks to him doesn't seem to notice that he's a different person. If it's Darlene then the FBI recruited Elliot to spy on Elliot and didn't notice that the person they're getting to spy on Elliot looks exactly like Elliot. Also he managed to commit murder in someone's home while he was physically in prison. A member of F-Society asked Elliot right to his face where Elliot was and Elliot said it didn't matter.

It's also really dumb to pull the same twist twice.

Besides, chair 3 and 4 are for qwerty and flipper. We'll get a flashback of Elliot making GBS threads on his own pillow.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

its more plausible elliot created his current self as a coping mechanism, and his real "self" is a lot angrier, vindictive and in general more antisocial than the young hackerman that can charm people with his wide eyed innocence.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Played by Brad Pitt

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

a young, sexy and sculpted brad pitt with 90s hair and not a hair on his body

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Wild Horses posted:

a young, sexy and sculpted brad pitt with 90s hair and not a hair on his body

That but also Brad Pitt Benjamin Button personalities. Baby hacker's gonna save the day.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

id rather EvilElliot follow through on his hacks and send the whole world into a new dark age like a present day Ted Kaczynski

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Wild Horses posted:

id rather EvilElliot follow through on his hacks and send the whole world into a new dark age like a present day Ted Kaczynski

Actually, and MKUltra-esque experiment that Kacyznski was subject to would explain a decent amount of the show.

Speaking of, we still don't really have any info on what White Rose has been building, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This show should pull a Deus Ex and we get to click a button to choose one of three endings.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

It's definitely Alf.

This was my first reaction but now I'm leaning towards Freddie Mercury.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
We the audience are the 3rd personality and the rest of the episodes are going to be interactive like Black Mirror's Bandersnatch.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

This show should pull a Deus Ex and we get to click a button to choose one of three endings.

It's going to be something like this. The name DEUS Group couldn't be more on the nose if it had Groucho glasses and a mustache.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey it's been two episodes where the gently caress is my main man?

Edit: Main men?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 17, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Hey it's been two episodes where the gently caress is my main man?

He went on sabbatical to finish his novel in the last episode of season 3 (seriously).

Also he's in Esmail's other show now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blunt posted:

He went on sabbatical to finish his novel in the last episode of season 3 (seriously).

Also he's in Esmail's other show now.

I didn't know Esmail had another show. Cool, now I have something else good to look forward to watching. Has it started airing yet?

Oh, as far as the new Eliot persona, I was guessing Vera right after the episode, just because he was in the episode preview but didn't appear in the episode itself. Before that guess, my original, instinctual guess was that it was Tyrell, just because of the idea being in my head from reading all the theory-crafting about it over the years in these tviv threads, and due to the fact that young Eliot was in a skyline executive boardroom with an executive secretary in the scene, and it was very reminiscent of the last time we saw Tyrell. Upon further review though, neither make sense, along with the other major established characters. None of them fit as an Eliot alter personality to me. I have no idea where Esmail is going with this plot, but that's a good thing, imho.

Lastly, my favorite thing about the new season so far is the Price faceturn and newfound allegiance to Team Robot. That character always had a great charisma and magnetism to him, it'll be nice getting to root for him unironically in this last season.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's the name of his new show?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Homecoming on Amazon Prime which is a pretty loving good show

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think whiterose is building a time machine? Due to the back to the future references and claims of bringing back the dead.

Maybe there’s an event whiterose regrets? But it just as easily could be creating a portal to the otherworld. :iiam:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Parallel dimension poo poo could be foreshadowed by the window incident, as well as multiple personalities in the same person (whiterose + elliot both have them it seems) might have to to with the merging of different timelines idk

Hero and villain being connected like that is not a coincidence I think

Edit: so whiterose could want to breach different dimensions with some sort of super hadron collider

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Now that I think about more I’m hoping for something batshit insane like the Human Instrumentality Project from Evangelion.

I trust the writers will be more creative then time machine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They will escape to our reality and get mercilessly owned by far more evil powers

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just think a time machine or loving parallel dimensions would take the show in such a weird loving direction. There has literally been no Sci Fi at all in the show so to take it there would be an odd choice. With Lost you set the scene early that there would be more than meets the eye, but there has been none of that so far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

I think whiterose is building a time machine? Due to the back to the future references and claims of bringing back the dead.

Maybe there’s an event whiterose regrets? But it just as easily could be creating a portal to the otherworld. :iiam:

Angela was convinced it was, but we don't know if she was right or if that was a line sold to her to get her to comply.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They will escape to our reality and get mercilessly owned by far more evil powers

Twin Peaks Season 3 crossover

Fake Edit:

To add to the machine discussion, has anyone proposed what white rose is building is a quantum computer of some kind that will basically destroy the cryptocurrencies that just so happen to have come into vogue? If not destroy, then at least manipulate.

Here's an article discussing it in the real world:
Google’s Quantum Computing Breakthrough Brings Blockchain Resistance Into the Spotlight Again
https://www.forbes.com/sites/darryn...n/#7bb500164504

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 18, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A time machine doesn't solve anything, people who died could still die again, could still live horrible lives, and everyone would still be on Garbage Planet living in a society. Matrix and Instrumentality Project both offer a way to improve life itself and solve a lot of the worst things about being a mortal and human.

It's also a weird pitch to Angela, come to my time machine back to before I did all this horrible stuff in pursuit of making a time machine!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

im depressed lol posted:

To add to the machine discussion, has anyone proposed what white rose is building is a quantum computer of some kind that will basically destroy the cryptocurrencies that just so happen to have come into vogue? If not destroy, then at least manipulate.
I want to say someone last season did propose this, because it sounds super familiar. However, it's kind of a boring end-game for someone (and for the show) who began their pet project before cryptocurrencies were even an idea.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think someone suggested she was making a supercomputer capable of creating the matrix and Angela could go inside it and be with her simulated mom.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think someone suggested she was making a supercomputer capable of creating the matrix and Angela could go inside it and be with her simulated mom.

What about a supercomputer to prove we're already living in a simulation? (And then learn how to manipulate it from within.)

5/9 is the Mr Robot equivalent of the S3 plan from mgs2

pitch a fitness fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 19, 2019

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A podcast I listen to was pushing the "angry Elliot" theory, which is fine but I can't figure out how that could possibly be satisfying from a visual storytelling point of view this late in the game (or how/why it would even matter, honestly).

I've only been casually watching up until this point though, so keep that in mind.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

A podcast I listen to was pushing the "angry Elliot" theory, which is fine but I can't figure out how that could possibly be satisfying from a visual storytelling point of view this late in the game (or how/why it would even matter, honestly).
It's not interesting.

It is making me wonder if the Elliot we watch is different from the Elliot who does the voice over narrative and talks to us. Just another way this could all go I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
It’s possible “we” the audience are meant to sit at one of seats.