Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

What do the dead guy's boots do? I'm trying to play an honest cop here, but I wanna know what I'd get for being a little less rigid.

It gives a +2 to authority and -1 to composure i think. I wore them exclusively when i found them since very little gear or consumables give you bonuses to authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You know what this game really needs? Outfit loadouts.
I keep switching clothing a lot and it's kinda hard to keep track on what I'm wearing, or looking for.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2019

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Spoilers for around day 4 re: finding someone: I need to search for Ruby, I've failed the Shivers test at the old electronics building, and I don't have enough XP to put more points into Shivers. How do I proceed?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Enjoying this game a lot, but I might want to try a do-over with a custom build. What would you guys suggest for a Dick Gumshoe build?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bloody Pom posted:

Enjoying this game a lot, but I might want to try a do-over with a custom build. What would you guys suggest for a Dick Gumshoe build?

1 Int, 5 Psyche, 3 Phys, 2 Mot

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
So I'm not reading the thread because there's gonna be things I don't want to see but I'm a very short way in, 2pm on the first day, and my loving god the writing in this game is absolutely phenomenal. It's so funny, so reactive, so interesting and the skill tree being actual characters is genius. Holy poo poo. I'm so excited to see what this game has to offer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just pulled the trigger and bought this. The world needs more non-combat RPGs. This seems like what I wished Sunless Sea / Fallen London was, still good atmosphere and writing but a bit better mechanics to back it up.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump points into volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

pedro0930 posted:

After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump in points in volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

this is so far my favorite passage in the game, especially how Drama goes full m'lady

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013
How do you get into the apartment building? I'm late game and I still haven't figured a way in, but I don't know what incredibly obvious thing I've missed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Basileus777 posted:

How do you get into the apartment building? I'm late game and I still haven't figured a way in.

The one across the street from the hostel? Try the bookstore

Edit: This might be obvious, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of dialogue options that only show if you have certain thoughts internalized.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pedro0930 posted:

After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump points into volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

yeah that checks out

electrochemistry's like a yappy terrier tugging at my pantleg

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

pedro0930 posted:

That whole sequence is absolutely phenomenal and it's worth every single point in Volition you might waste to get it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

yeah that checks out

electrochemistry's like a yappy terrier tugging at my pantleg

my electrochemistry is 1 but it seems like as a skill the higher you get it the more you're going to do insane poo poo in pursuit of chemical pleasure

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

The one across the street from the hostel? Try the bookstore

Edit: This might be obvious, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of dialogue options that only show if you have certain thoughts internalized.

The ones all the way to the north of the map.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Basileus777 posted:

I think I found keys under a rock near the east entrance, where Cunoesse is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Basileus777 posted:

talk to the smoker you see

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Dr Snofeld posted:

Spoilers for around day 4 re: finding someone: I need to search for Ruby, I've failed the Shivers test at the old electronics building, and I don't have enough XP to put more points into Shivers. How do I proceed?

I'm stuck here too, I've save-scummed the shivers test and it didn't actually help anything at all. If anybody knows where to go that'd be great.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Zaphod42 posted:

Just pulled the trigger and bought this. The world needs more non-combat RPGs. This seems like what I wished Sunless Sea / Fallen London was, still good atmosphere and writing but a bit better mechanics to back it up.

500%. Couldn't express my take on it better.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Has anyone else had to resort to reading a book a whole bunch to burn time to get to the next day on days 2/4? Because I seem to be running out of things to do long before time runs out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Day 1: I’d really rather not become a racist but I can’t find another way into the harbour, even though it telegraphs a fair bit that you can go through the shack and up the ladder. Am I just missing something to click on?

Also, the map says I can retake the Cuno/Empathy and Corpse/Endurance checks, but I can’t get them to trigger in the dialogue tree.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I just read the production schedule for a computer game company that went under before it released its first game, let's see

It was a role playing game meant to played by people across the world connected to one another by computers.
All of it's money came from investors.
It was pretty much doomed to failure since they were making a 4,000,000 Real game on a 400,000 real budget.
They hired way too many artists, and not enough people who could actually lead a project.
And the death blow came when feature creep set in and the guy in charge decided to spend a crazy amount of money on expensive voice actors rather than just commit too getting the game out the door.

I'm sure I've heard this same story a thousand times before but by golly I can't remember where.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I've got a real problem.

I've restarted the game like 5 times now, and all because I can't settle in and just play it.

I keep waffling between "Cheat in a perfect stat character" and going "No, thats against the experience the devs wanted you to have, go logic" "No, go dramatic" "Screw it, go full stats" "No dont do thats your ruining the ExPeRiEnCe". I just can't god drat settle on one style.

Am I going to mess things up significantly if I go full stats?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pulsarcat posted:

I just read the production schedule for a computer game company that went under before it released its first game, let's see

It was a role playing game meant to played by people across the world connected to one another by computers.
It was pretty much doomed to failure since they were making a 4,000,000 Real game on a 400,000 real budget.
They hired way too many artists, and not enough people who could actually lead a project.
And the death blow came when feature creep set in and the guy in charge decided to spend a crazy amount of money on expensive voice actors rather than just commit too getting the game out the door.

I'm sure I've heard this same story a thousand times before but by golly I can't remember where.

did the money come from the people of the rhodes isola

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

OscarDiggs posted:

Yes, a lot of dialogue options are unlocked by failing checks

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm defo going to have to cheat at some point and go full on hobo Paul Atredies. My name is a killing word (so it's probably for the best that I don't remember it)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Day 1: I’d really rather not become a racist but I can’t find another way into the harbour, even though it telegraphs a fair bit that you can go through the shack and up the ladder. Am I just missing something to click on?

Also, the map says I can retake the Cuno/Empathy and Corpse/Endurance checks, but I can’t get them to trigger in the dialogue tree.

Generally the thought cabinet does not work in obvious ways.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Traxis posted:

Yes, a lot of dialogue options are unlocked by failing checks

yeah seconding this. don't bother going full stats, it's going to be stupid as hell. having flaws is what makes poo poo fun.

you are supposed to fail, and sometimes having the inability to perform a task will make you find another route to solve a problem, which will have additional game play you wouldn't find if you can just 100% every stat roll.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I dunno why but the idea of setting up to fail deliberately makes my teeth itch.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

OscarDiggs posted:

I've got a real problem.

I've restarted the game like 5 times now, and all because I can't settle in and just play it.

I keep waffling between "Cheat in a perfect stat character" and going "No, thats against the experience the devs wanted you to have, go logic" "No, go dramatic" "Screw it, go full stats" "No dont do thats your ruining the ExPeRiEnCe". I just can't god drat settle on one style.

Dialogue from your skills takes the same amount of in-game time as talking to a person. If you give yourself full stats they will all pipe-up so often that they basically ddos your brain, and your character constantly stares off into space for several minutes at a time mid-conversation.

also,

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah seconding this. don't bother going full stats, it's going to be stupid as hell. having flaws is what makes poo poo fun.

you are supposed to fail, and sometimes having the inability to perform a task will make you find another route to solve a problem, which will have additional game play you wouldn't find if you can just 100% every stat roll.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Failing skill checks has some of the best moments in the game. It’s okay to suck at some stuff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pulsarcat posted:

how many themed buses were involved

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know if the in your head dialogue really takes that long. A lot of time after snapping back into reality it says only 2.2 seconds has passed (obviously doesn't line up with the in-game time) but I guess not every voice talks at the same speed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OscarDiggs posted:

I've got a real problem.

it pretty much doesn't matter, whatever archetype you have in mind is gonna morph into something insane and beautiful but different and I doubt there's any combination of any stats that is actually bad, you could do 1/1/1/1 and never spend a skill point and still make it through and enjoy it (just...have healing items handy)

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Having a lot of points in certain skills can also have detrimental effects since they will overpower other skills and force you down certain routes without giving the player a choice.

And there are scenarios where having a successful skill check leads to a negative outcome while the failed role leads to a positive one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OscarDiggs posted:

I dunno why but the idea of setting up to fail deliberately makes my teeth itch.

they aren't failures in the traditional sense, they're alternative successes

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Einwand posted:

Has anyone else had to resort to reading a book a whole bunch to burn time to get to the next day on days 2/4? Because I seem to be running out of things to do long before time runs out.

this happened to me on day 5, it's no biggie

think the Dick Mullen book is the one that passes time the fastest

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cnidaria posted:

And there are scenarios where having a successful skill check leads to a negative outcome while the failed role leads to a positive one.

Yeah, it might help to think of skill checks as determining whether that aspect of your character takes control and less as success or failure.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

So, about that shipping container... I only have one question: What THE gently caress was THAT?

OscarDiggs posted:

If success means doing something horrific, is it actually a failure?

itry fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OscarDiggs posted:

You aren't failing deliberately, you just aren't up for certain tasks with your skillset. It's part of the RPG experience.