Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want a cruiser in that price range. I'm in New Orleans. Not a lot of selection here (currently) on CL. Where do you guys usually search? Could you recommend another classy looking cruiser for a first rider? Rebel seems to be what the internet recommends. I read the new rider's OP post, and Rebel is mentioned there, too. I don't want a Ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suzuki Intruder 250
Yamaha Virago/star/xj250
Hyosung gv250/aquila
Suzuki Ls650
Rebel 250
Enfield selfloather 350

The main players, in that order, in my opinion, with some assumptions on my part about what classy looking is.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Check Facebook marketplace. Seems like a lot of people are listing there now instead of CL for whatever reason.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

cosmin posted:

So what’s the dad bike du jour?
I’m early 30s and right in the demographics it seems... I’ve asked the thread before on a tracer 900 gt and a r1200 gs and the consensus was on the bmw but some medical issues this year prevented me from making the leap...

Now as the offseason starts and if God helps and keeps me healthy, i plan to go back to riding next year - i’m on a thin line between financial responsibilities for my family due to my illness and carpe diem enjoy your life screw money have fun...

I still oscillate between the tracer gt and the r1250gs... although they’re in very different price range.

My brother in law wants to lease a 1250 gsa and proposed to share the lease and the two bikes (the new 1250gsa and his k1600gt), but basically this means renting a bike at ~200 EUR/month with nothing to show after 3-4 years (as it’s an operational lease and he wants to renew the bike at the end of the leasing)

For 12k (my share of the GSA), i’d get a new tracer that i could sell or do whatever when I want...

So is this the right financial advice thread or do i head over to A/T? :downs:

In europe btw if the currency doesn’t give it away :)

The 900gt is a great bike and the cost difference between it and the GS will allow for a couple of years of riding expenses. However personally for some reason the r1250rs does something for me, if I could go for any faired bike that'd be it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Suzuki Intruder 250
Yamaha Virago/star/xj250
Hyosung gv250/aquila
Suzuki Ls650
Rebel 250
Enfield selfloather 350

The main players, in that order, in my opinion, with some assumptions on my part about what classy looking is.

This is a good list. The Yamaha is noticeably better if you go riding them back to back, but not by much. And most of these bikes can be had under $1,000 bucks if you don't shop dealers. Just bought a virago 250 for $570 at the public auction for a friend. After fees and maintenance, it ended up $950. There are also small Japanese cruisers in 5-750 range, they will handle highway riding much better. But if you learning the basics, the lighter is better. Keep in mind, that running beginner bikes are always in demand, and if you buy it cheap enough, you will sell it for the same amount of money. It can be a free motorcycle for you, just don't overpay up front.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ought ten posted:

Check Facebook marketplace. Seems like a lot of people are listing there now instead of CL for whatever reason.

Big time. CL is drying up right now. Facebook Marketplace is booming because people are already on Facebook (again, for some reason). I don't facebook but they are pulling me in with marketplace. One advantage over CL is response time. Now, if they could just make the interface not suck and not use so many WE FOUND THIS FOR YOU search algorithms, just show me the most recent entries and make that the default.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think there's a lot more trust in Facebook, at the moment, before scammers figure out how to flood it with bots. People have Facebook on their phones and can instantly respond.

Craigslist is bad on many levels, the biggest of which is their inability to make money and then invest said money into improving their own service. We just put up with it because nothing better is available. Not for long

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the insight, guys. Will continue to look.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah don’t buy a bike with rust. Bikes, especially cruisers are never exposed to things that would cause them to rust, so rust is an indication that something is wrong, or went wrong in the past

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah don’t buy a bike with rust. Bikes, especially cruisers are never exposed to things that would cause them to rust, so rust is an indication that something is wrong, or went wrong in the past

If you or your bike are existing in Britain that could certainly be described as something having gone wrong

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rain shouldn’t make it rust. Paint coming off does

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Neglect, riding when you shouldn't be (early spring rises where salt is still on the surface) or storing your bike outside uncovered. In general, not a good sign.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Rain shouldn’t make it rust. Paint coming off does

I thought you knew sv650's??

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Verman posted:

Neglect, riding when you shouldn't be (early spring rises where salt is still on the surface) or storing your bike outside uncovered. In general, not a good sign.

I don't really get that, since I'm going to do most if not all that once I get my hands on it. I figure some wear and tear from being actually ridden regularly makes for a nice discount over some garage queen "never ridden in rain" that I'm just going to ruin.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Subjectively speaking, what's the difference between a DRZ400 and an XR650L? The power and weight seem similar on paper, but XRs don't seem anywhere near as popular

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mirconium posted:

Subjectively speaking, what's the difference between a DRZ400 and an XR650L? The power and weight seem similar on paper, but XRs don't seem anywhere near as popular

Isn’t the XR650L a super grunty rally bike? Like gobs of big hit taking suspension and low gear torque?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mirconium posted:

A drz is like the most basic water cooled dirt bike available, not much more to say. An xr650L is an enduro homologation special which is vastly better in every way and much more rare and desirable.

A regular air cooled xr is an old fashioned enduro and noticably heavier and cruder than a drz.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I meant this thing, fwiw:
https://powersports.honda.com/street/adventure/xr650l

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Isn’t the XR650L a super grunty rally bike? Like gobs of big hit taking suspension and low gear torque?

Slavvy posted:

A drz is like the most basic water cooled dirt bike available, not much more to say. An xr650L is an enduro homologation special which is vastly better in every way and much more rare and desirable.

A regular air cooled xr is an old fashioned enduro and noticably heavier and cruder than a drz.

You guys are thinking of the XR650R, which was homologated to race in the baja 1000.

The XR650L is a normal air cooled thumper, and you'd be better off with a DR650

The DRZ is a liquid cooled enduro bike. On paper it makes similar power to the XR650L, but it delivers it differently

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Between the DR650 and DR-Z, the DR-Z is a little more dirt worthy by virtue of its slightly higher clearance, lighter weight, and better suspension. The DR is more roadworthy by virtue of its gearing, weight, and top speed. On gravel roads and dicking around on pavement they're pretty indistinguishable. If you're a good rider you can do trails on a DR, if you're a very patient rider you can tour on a DR-Z.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You guys are thinking of the XR650R, which was homologated to race in the baja 1000.

The XR650L is a normal air cooled thumper, and you'd be better off with a DR650

The DRZ is a liquid cooled enduro bike. On paper it makes similar power to the XR650L, but it delivers it differently

If by differently you mean lamely then yeah.

Why would they call the not-Liquid cooled one the L model, fucken Honda.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nothing delivers power in a more lame manner than an xr650l. Just a wet fart from idle to redline.

DRZ’s are weird because they don’t really like to be lugged like the 650’s do. They’re happier higher in the rev range.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Um excuse me my bike has rust. Oh god is the surface rust everywhere.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verman posted:

"Riding when you shouldn't", yeah, nah. Bike is life, I'm not going to stop riding for anything but black ice. I acknowledge this means my poo poo will get hosed up because they're all designed as summer toys.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am unwilling to accept that this thread has zero opinions on a VFR :colbert:

VFRs are fantastic all-rounders, not great at any particular thing. If you like sporty riding, you'll love them. Engine is by far the best part, though if you've ridden bigger stuff you might be wanting for more torque down low. Earlier models need to keep an eye on the wiring loom. Engines can go 100k km easily. Suspension can be iffy, but at least they can generally be adjusted for preload.

I found the 15 model I had put a little too much pressure on my wrist for my liking, and you really feel the weight of the bike relative to more modern stuff. That said, in fast flowy corners it's really a pleasure to ride. I did 35k km on mine and had 0 issues whatsoever. Bought and MT10SP because I wanted something more upright with more grunt.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

"Riding when you shouldn't", yeah, nah. Bike is life, I'm not going to stop riding for anything but black ice. I acknowledge this means my poo poo will get hosed up because they're all designed as summer toys.

You can ride year round and still take care of your stuff. Like washing off salt residue and whatnot. But if you want, and it's entirely up to you, can just accept the wear and tear and all degradation that comes with it. We just bought a Road King at the auction, it's 10 years old and has 123,000 miles. What's remarkable, is that it looks like your average garage queen when it comes to cleanliness and care. No sign of rust, damage or even above average wear. Oh, and that's in Pennsylvania.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitrox posted:

You can ride year round and still take care of your stuff. Like washing off salt residue and whatnot. But if you want, and it's entirely up to you, can just accept the wear and tear and all degradation that comes with it. We just bought a Road King at the auction, it's 10 years old and has 123,000 miles. What's remarkable, is that it looks like your average garage queen when it comes to cleanliness and care. No sign of rust, damage or even above average wear. Oh, and that's in Pennsylvania.

I really like a liberal spraying of ACF-50 to combat rust. I don’t know why fluid film wouldn’t work well too, but I don’t use it for... reasons?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Hello guys! I have a Tekken 250cc 2015. I am thinking on upgrading to a HD Roadster 750cc I got a couple issues the main one being that Im not sure if I can handle it because its too heavy. Im even a bit scared of requesting a test drive and not being able to handle properly.

I seek advice on what bike to upgrade to as I am looking for something that can take me on highways and is safe, I usually carry a bag with me everywhere so need something that preferably has space to put it so I don't need to have it on me.

As a note I don't use the bike a lot, for the bag reasons, just as reference that bike has about 600kms only

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How tall are you? A street 750 isn't very big or heavy tbh and the low seat height makes them very manageable. If you're making GBS threads your pants at even test riding one maybe don't upgrade yet? Bike control is 90% skills and 10% physicality, if you can do confident tight turns on your 250 you'll have no issues.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MikeStmria posted:

Hello guys! I have a Tekken 250cc 2015. I am thinking on upgrading to a HD Roadster 750cc I got a couple issues the main one being that Im not sure if I can handle it because its too heavy. Im even a bit scared of requesting a test drive and not being able to handle properly.

I seek advice on what bike to upgrade to as I am looking for something that can take me on highways and is safe, I usually carry a bag with me everywhere so need something that preferably has space to put it so I don't need to have it on me.

As a note I don't use the bike a lot, for the bag reasons, just as reference that bike has about 600kms only

Maybe try shifting up? How fast do you need to go? How fast does the tekken 250 go? Can’t you just strap the bag on the back?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So I went to the motorcycle shop today. It's a dealer that sells lots of different types of motorcycles, KTM, Husqy, Zero...

They have brand new Husqvarna Svartpilen 401's for £3999. They also have the one they are demoing, which the guy said was somewhere around £3100.

1. Is buying a demo bike a bad idea?
2. In this scenario, would you buy the demo bike if it was 20% to 25% cheaper than the the brand new one?
3. Does one get full warranty on a demo bike, as one would from a new bike?
4. I will have my full motorcycle license by the end of November hopefully, at which point I'll try and test ride one from their shop, but they said "usually you have to be riding for a year or more, before our insurer will let you test ride one, but come back when you have your license and we will see if we can work something out". Any thoughts on this? Would you buy a motorcycle without a test ride? Should a new rider?
5. I had a sit on the demo one, felt good, could get one foot down flat, the other tippy toe, so I don't feel scared that it's too tall (I'm 6 foot tall, 32 inseam). I'd prefer it were slightly lower, but it's fine.
6. While sitting on the demo one, the lean angle felt fine, did not feel like I was hunched over too much.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The warranty on bikes is from the manufacturer, providing the bike is within the warranty period it’ll be covered.

Demo bikes are good ... I think? Practically new and been worn in already. Make sure the first service is done for you or on the house, else you’ll be spending another £250 in a week.

I took an XSR700 for a test ride the same day I got my full bike license, dealer didn’t bat an eye. I wouldn’t be spending £4K without a test ride. Go find a dealer who’ll give you one if your local can’t. If he can’t get insurance for a starter bike for a starter rider, his loss/stupidity.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

1. Depends on the bike. Demo Bikes are absolutely not "worn it" - they are demoed by performing not by abiding to the strict break in procedures that are still to this day written in every handbook and for good reason.

So if you are facing a care intensive engine that is already known to punish abuse and lackluster preparation, no its not a good idea. If you buy a mass produced medium power Japanese 4 Cylinder then i guess you would be fine.

2. Whats taking abuse badly when it comes to early days and break in? Piston Rings, Cylinder walls. How expensive is it to replace these pre maturely? (as in - sooner than never?) is that more than the savings you make up front?

3. Depends on the dealer and country. For germany, No. Warranty is a service by the manufacturer, it starts ticking by the day of first registration. In order to be a demo bike here it needs to be registered and warranty ticks down. Some dealers may cover the loss in warranty period, some may not.

4.Never buy without test ride. "You need to have your license for over a year" what BS is this. If this was general practice no new rider could buy new bikes (that is if they fancy a test ride and dont buy blind). If they try to sell you a practically new bike and wont let you test ride it on a silver plate, gently caress them and never go there again.

5. Never buy without test ride

6. Never buy without test ride

Also some general advice on buying any motor vehicle

A: The dealer is a greasy rear end in a top hat. Even if he is not, that is how you have to think about it. He wants your money and he wants as much of it as he can get.
B: Never try to justify a purchase for yourself. If you have to talk yourself into a purchase, go away. dont buy.
C: Never impulse buy. If you are told to "be quick" or "theres other people interrested" - refer to point A. Tell that duder to sell to someone else if he wants to.
D: You buy if you eliminated every possibly superior option. That means take your time to make an educated decision. See the local market, prepare yourself and read up and compare prices. Take a few months to look around. A bad purchase will give you way more Grief than a few extra months of patience.

E: do you really want a new machine for your first big bike? 3000 Pound will buy you plentiful on the used market and the conciousness will be much less cumbersome after dropping an already rough CBR 600F or Yamaha FZR or Suzuki SV 650 in that dastardly sudden rain shower on the way home.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 13, 2019

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I can't speak too much regarding bikes. But I have bought demo cars, and they give you no issues, just make sure the car/bike dealer gives you the same guarantee they give on a new one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A brand new 401 for a first bike is a massively, massively terrible idea because they're absurdly expensive to fix after even a mild drop, the depreciation will rape you etc etc just buy a cheap ninja.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's at least their second bike if I understand the various European license tiers correctly?

Go wild, buy the 401, it's cheap and you can only regret it so much.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

So I went to the motorcycle shop today. It's a dealer that sells lots of different types of motorcycles, KTM, Husqy, Zero...

They have brand new Husqvarna Svartpilen 401's for £3999. They also have the one they are demoing, which the guy said was somewhere around £3100.

1. Is buying a demo bike a bad idea?
2. In this scenario, would you buy the demo bike if it was 20% to 25% cheaper than the the brand new one?
3. Does one get full warranty on a demo bike, as one would from a new bike?
4. I will have my full motorcycle license by the end of November hopefully, at which point I'll try and test ride one from their shop, but they said "usually you have to be riding for a year or more, before our insurer will let you test ride one, but come back when you have your license and we will see if we can work something out". Any thoughts on this? Would you buy a motorcycle without a test ride? Should a new rider?
5. I had a sit on the demo one, felt good, could get one foot down flat, the other tippy toe, so I don't feel scared that it's too tall (I'm 6 foot tall, 32 inseam). I'd prefer it were slightly lower, but it's fine.
6. While sitting on the demo one, the lean angle felt fine, did not feel like I was hunched over too much.

If you're going from a CBT to A1, get a fun underpowered winter hack dual sport like a drz400 that will retain its value no matter how many times you drop it in this coming wet winter of misery. There's heaps of posts here talking about how learning on a dual sport/sumo is great.

It's October, you'll learn faster on a cheap bike in our grey wetness, and you can sell it in the spring if you feel ready for a brand new fancy bike.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sat on a 2018 Ninja 650 today. Sigh, now it’s all I want.

I’ll see how I feel once new riding season starts. I’m still trying to hold out on moving up from the 250.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The ninja 650 is a buzzy piece of poo poo. I mean it's fine but distinctly underwhelming compared to the 250 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You're gonna feel that way about a million bikes forever so just get used to it. Besides, you already have one of the Good Beiks so enjoy that.