Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

That is exactly correct. Sculpted SA R2 and R4 are exactly the same, with the only difference being the orientation the legend. Since your set has no legends, you don't have to worry about which keycap you put in R2 or R4. There should be enough to cover all you need.

I think I encountered that when I wanted some blank caps for the bottom row on a dactyl, I couldn't order row 4, had to order row 2 which is the same mold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can someone recommend me a keyboard that is:

- Availble in MX red or MX black (or similar)
- TKL design
- Easy to clean
- Stylish case
- RGB lighting not required, and probably not necessary
- Removable cable. I wouldn't want to use MX Blacks for regular typing, so i'd like to be able to swap.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 15, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Deviant posted:

- TKL design
- Easy to clean
- Stylish case
- Removable cable. I wouldn't want to use MX Blacks for regular typing, so i'd like to be able to swap.

I assume "easy to clean" means low-profile case. I don't know what "stylish" means to you, and I don't know your budget, so I guess I can recommend the Drop CTRL, then you can buy a set of linear switches to swap them out (it's easy to do on the CTRL).

Otherwise, the Varmilo VA87M keyboards have a low-ish profile case. Scroll through this list to see what tickles your fancy and has your switch choice available:
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=324

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Deviant posted:

- TKL design
- Easy to clean
- Stylish case

Check out the GMMK boards. Despite the gamer bullshit there is no obnoxious logo on front. It's low profile, and available in a variety of configurations. Probably the cheapest board I'd recommend. I suggest getting it without keycaps and buying a set of cheap PBT caps on amazon or aliexpress. You could also save a few bucks buying it without switches and adding your own.

Note that the board doesn't support PCB mount switches so you will likely need to clip switches if you buy your own. Also, don't worry about Cherry vs Gateron or Kailh. Unless you are a switch nerd you won't notice a difference, and in some cases Gateron or Kailh are better than Cherry.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 15, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Okay, I ordered the CTRL, but i don't want blues or browns, so where can I get red/black switches that isn't going to pull my pants down on the price?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Deviant posted:

Okay, I ordered the CTRL, but i don't want blues or browns, so where can I get red/black switches that isn't going to pull my pants down on the price?

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/gateron-switches?variant=19441344839773

Basically the same as cherry (even the colors translate) with less pants-pulling-down. 90 switches is $20

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'd say the Gateron blacks are way better than Cherry tbh. Very smooth.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

SoftNum posted:

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/gateron-switches?variant=19441344839773

Basically the same as cherry (even the colors translate) with less pants-pulling-down. 90 switches is $20

Gateron Clears are not the same as Cherry Clears. That said if you order them you'll accidentally get the best switches out there. This is a very biased opinion.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there a resale market for certain key switches? I preordered a Crtl Keyboard with Halo Trues, but seeing that they are a 60g Tactile and prone to key chattering, I know I am not going to use them. I was under the impression that people use them to make Holy Pandas so I was hoping to sell them to fund my Gateron Reds and GMK Stabs replacements when I get the keyboard.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
In exchange for assembling a board for a friend, he bought me a set of DSA Light Cycle.

So I slapped it on my work board.

Click for big.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there a resale market for certain key switches? I preordered a Crtl Keyboard with Halo Trues, but seeing that they are a 60g Tactile and prone to key chattering, I know I am not going to use them.

Definitely. People are selling all kinds of key switches on r/mechmarket all the time. I recommend you post them there.

edit: Looks like this person sold their set from their CTRL for $50.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 17, 2019

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is there a tutorial or resource out there on how to have material laser cut for a custom build? I don't currently know any CAD but if there's something that simplifies or automates the process I'd be happy to know about it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Definitely. People are selling all kinds of key switches on r/mechmarket all the time. I recommend you post them there.

edit: Looks like this person sold their set from their CTRL for $50.

Just realized that most of the posts are from the US and I am sure a lot of them will not want to pay traiffs and cross border shipping costs will eat any profitability. I’ll hang on to them.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Mechmarket does have non-US sellers too, though - the other day I saw someone from PH selling off a full ergo set

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Just realized that most of the posts are from the US and I am sure a lot of them will not want to pay traiffs and cross border shipping costs will eat any profitability. I’ll hang on to them.

r/mm is for people all over the world. Don’t hesitate to post there.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone know of a company that makes 90's-style full-size chunky keyboards, but with more modern functionality (volume controls, video controls, etc.)? I'm not really a fan of the modern slab-of-metal/plastic with keys on top aesthetic, but I love the feel of blue switches after typing on an inexpensive board for a while. I don't mind if it's heavy or takes up a lot of desk space as it's only going to be used at home. I get that this is kind of an odd request as the trend seems to be going smaller and lighter, but I'd like to see what my options are (or if they exist).

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 17, 2019

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Chip McFuck posted:

Does anyone know of a company that makes 90's-style full-size chunky keyboards, but with more modern functionality (volume controls, video controls, etc.)? I'm not really a fan of the slab-of-metal/plastic with keys on top aesthetic, but I love the feel of blue switches after typing on an inexpensive board for a while. I don't mind if it's heavy or takes up a lot of desk space as it's only going to be used at home. I get that this is kind of an odd request as the trend seems to be going smaller and lighter, but I'd like to see what my options are (or if they exist).

You don't get much more chunky and 90s than Unicomp. What's that, you say? No media keys? Yes, media keys.

Not sure what's available if you want dedicated keycaps for brightness or a volume wheel or something, though. Maybe go with a black Unicomp and a dedicated volume knob?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

internet celebrity posted:

Is there a tutorial or resource out there on how to have material laser cut for a custom build? I don't currently know any CAD but if there's something that simplifies or automates the process I'd be happy to know about it.

Are you looking to cut a top plate? If so, swill's plate builder simplifies things a bit. You can then send it over to whatever laser cutting service is convenient for you.

http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/

I think if you have specific questions, it's best to head over to geekhack's Making Stuff Together subforum which is more suited for actual DIY DIY keyboards.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is there a resale market for certain key switches? I preordered a Crtl Keyboard with Halo Trues, but seeing that they are a 60g Tactile and prone to key chattering,

I have trues in the alt I got and I don't notice any chatter but I swear the activation point for a few keys is just below the bump which is kind of annoying. Much less chatter than my macbook keyboard at least.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered this beauty from Epomaker's Amazon store. They are a new company specializing in Chinese keyboards. Very high quality and amazing build.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YG3L332/ref=gno_cart_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A31XCF3C216O31

Can't wait.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

redeyes posted:

I just ordered this beauty from Epomaker's Amazon store. They are a new company specializing in Chinese keyboards. Very high quality and amazing build.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YG3L332/ref=gno_cart_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A31XCF3C216O31

Can't wait.

That looks exactly like my Durgod keyboards.
If it's the same build quality then you're definitely in for a treat.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The side printed fonts are super cool and the colors.. so nice.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Constellation I posted:

Are you looking to cut a top plate? If so, swill's plate builder simplifies things a bit. You can then send it over to whatever laser cutting service is convenient for you.

http://builder-docs.swillkb.com/

I think if you have specific questions, it's best to head over to geekhack's Making Stuff Together subforum which is more suited for actual DIY DIY keyboards.

Oh this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

pgroce posted:

You don't get much more chunky and 90s than Unicomp. What's that, you say? No media keys? Yes, media keys.

This looks like exactly like what I was looking for, thanks! I'm a complete novice when it comes to keyboards; are buckling springs similar in feel to Cherry blue switches? Also, if I were to get the media keys, that would mean I need to rebind some of the keys to actually use them, right? What would be a good program to do that?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Chip McFuck posted:

This looks like exactly like what I was looking for, thanks! I'm a complete novice when it comes to keyboards; are buckling springs similar in feel to Cherry blue switches? Also, if I were to get the media keys, that would mean I need to rebind some of the keys to actually use them, right? What would be a good program to do that?

They are similar in that they are both really clicky and tactile. They are different enough that a lot of people prefer one and not the other.

I don't have a buckling spring at hand and haven't used one in a while, but my recollection is the buckling spring experience is smoother overall; Blues feel a bit like a different key after the leaf spring actuates, while the IBM/Unicomp buckling springs tend to feel more consistent both before and after actuation. They're also a little heavier than Blues; a better comparison in those terms would be the MX Green.

You can see some of what I'm talking about in their force curves: buckling spring, Blues, Greens.

Also, the buckling spring is really actuating the switch. The actuation point and the tactility are closely matched in the MX switches, but they aren't in exactly the same place. That's a pretty subtle thing, but it's definitely a thing.

Hopefully someone with more recent direct experience can chime in on the feel. Unfortunately, there's no great way to understand the difference without experiencing it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Deviant posted:

- TKL design
- Easy to clean
- Stylish case

I like my HyperX Alloy Elite. The FPS pro is similar enough. Ten keyless, your choice of red, blue, or brown switches. Red backlight only but IIRC there might be an RGB version out there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As a Buckling Spring True Believer and Evangelist who is typing these words on his trusty Model M, I will say that buckling springs are very different from any kind of mechanical switch. They're heavier, louder, and (as skooma described) the actuation point is precisely the same point that you feel the bump.

There's an accurate blurb in the OP about the Model M/Unicomp (the Unicomp isn't merely based on the Model M, it--or at least the Unicomp Classic, most precisely--IS the Model M) :

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Buckling Spring

A beloved older design, the IBM Buckling Spring switch is a bit of an odd duck. Most mechanical keyboards use springs that compress under pressure. Instead, a buckling spring bends outwardly, striking the side of it’s housing when it reaches it’s required actuation force. The heaviest switch you’re likely to ever encounter, at a whooping 90 cN. And as a bonus, when someone tries to murder you for the racket these things make, you can use the keyboard as a bludgeon to murder them because they are built like loving Gameboys. Unicomp is the only company producing new buckling spring keyboards right now.

You know how people say don't use Blues in an office setting because the racket they make drives your co-workers insane? Buckling springs are louder. Much louder.

(The Unicomp is still the only extant buckling spring keyboard as far as I know)

edit: Another point in Unicomp's favor is that they are manufactured in the U.S. and if you call for support someone at the actual plant in Kentucky who knows their poo poo will answer, usually within 3 rings in my experience with only one simple menu to go through first. Not that it matters much since a Unicomp will outlive you as long as you don't spill a drink into it (and if you do, you can ship it back to them for like $40 and they'll fix it for you and ship it back).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 18, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you want something quieter and lighteer than buckling springs but still tactile and no-nonsense, the Matias Quiet Pro is a decent alternative. Keyfeel is far better than MX blues in my opinion. I use one at work in a room shared with 6-7 other people and it's not really any louder than the Apple low profile scissor switch keyboards most other people use.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eric the Mauve posted:

As a Buckling Spring True Believer and Evangelist who is typing these words on his trusty Model M, I will say that buckling springs are very different from any kind of mechanical switch. They're heavier, louder, and (as skooma described) the actuation point is precisely the same point that you feel the bump.

There's an accurate blurb in the OP about the Model M/Unicomp (the Unicomp isn't merely based on the Model M, it--or at least the Unicomp Classic, most precisely--IS the Model M) :
Kinda. I guess you can say that the Unicomp makes a Model M. Specifically something quite like the blue label Model Ms made from the mid to late '90s, near the end of Model M production. The differences being mostly cosmetic---thinner plastic on the case, more flashing and sprue marks on the keys, and so on. But the internals are different as well.

I recently did some repairs on an old white label Model M that I use, and the springs from Unicomp are dimensionally the same as the white label's springs, but the foot (or whatever the gently caress you call it---the plastic bit that's attached to the bottom of the spring, which is what is actually in contact with the membrane)---is made of a different kind of plastic and the springs themselves require less force to buckle, at least compared to the white label's springs.

Not to poo poo on Unicomp or anything. They seem cool enough. But the reason I'm in this thread in the first place is because personally I was looking to replace a white label Model M with a modern mechanical keyboard because I tried a Unicomp and it just felt...off to me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was considering getting one of those 122 key terminal model Ms but the membrane thing scares me, the need to bolt mod kinda scares me, the 2-key rollover is pretty much a dealbreaker.. and it's not ANSI layout

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mewse posted:

I was considering getting one of those 122 key terminal model Ms but the membrane thing scares me, the need to bolt mod kinda scares me, the 2-key rollover is pretty much a dealbreaker.. and it's not ANSI layout

I regret not buying a 122 key Model F when they were in the ~$120 range a few years back. The capacitive controller can do n-key rollover. Now they all seem to start at $300 on ebay.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Didn’t Unicomp make a big announcement a few years back that they were finally going to make a TKL version of their buckling spring keyboards? Did that completely not pan out?

It seems like it’d be a big moneymaker for them - the 84 key Model Ms go for $$$$ these days, and I know I’d personally love to go back to buckling spring if I didn’t have to dedicate half of my desk to my keyboard.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Didn’t Unicomp make a big announcement a few years back that they were finally going to make a TKL version of their buckling spring keyboards? Did that completely not pan out?

It seems like it’d be a big moneymaker for them - the 84 key Model Ms go for $$$$ these days, and I know I’d personally love to go back to buckling spring if I didn’t have to dedicate half of my desk to my keyboard.

They did and nothing has come of it yet. I doubt they do enough business to have the extra funds to do it, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised one day.

These guys made some new style Model F boards which look nice but are pricey and nobody's gotten them yet, although it seems like they should start being delivered in November:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got Drevo Tyrfing V2 today with Otemu browns. Very happy with the quality and especially that I can swap out the switches if I want to, although I'm not sure I'll need to, it's easy to type on. Might go for some PBT keycaps at some point. A nice point is that you can do most of your configuration on the keyboard itself and only use the software for the bells and whistles.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I saw OLKB has some preonic pcbs and hi pro top plates in store again.

I’ve never built a keyboard myself so I was wondering what else I need to build this.

I already have switches/keycaps/usb cable. For a case I’ll start looking for a 3d printed one (maybe keyboardbelle has some?).

Am I missing something besides that?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

LochNessMonster posted:

Am I missing something besides that?

Nope, and welcome to the ortholinear thug life.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Drop has Preonic kits for sale right now. Pre-soldered with hot swap mounts so you can plug in your own switches. Not cheap at $170, but it does include the olkb keycaps and cases for the price.

https://drop.com/buy/preonic-mechanical-keyboard

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

Can't wait.

gonna order the dark case one in prep for my gmk cyber keys that ship ???

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Anyone got experience/recs re: split keyboards? I think they're cool and am definitely buying into the "better arm position" hype. Not into soldering, currently eyeing Gergo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

Phosphine posted:

Anyone got experience/recs re: split keyboards? I think they're cool and am definitely buying into the "better arm position" hype. Not into soldering, currently eyeing Gergo.

I haven't used one but the Gergo is pretty good as far as I can tell. I'm opinionated but here's my thoughts:

Good:
  • The thumb cluster is better than the Ergodox if you don't suffer from gigantism.
  • The creator is very active on keyboard discords and seems eager to talk about all things gergo and keyboard.
  • It's very low profile. Low profile is best profile.
  • Has room for poo poo like screens if you are into that sort of thing.

Bad:
  • Uses Mini-USB. Mini-USB has been deprecated since 2007 and I personally loathe it. Both Mini & Micro-USB suffer from strength issues and will eventually tear off after repeated plugging/unplugging. It will break even faster with any sort of angular tension. USB-C would be nice.
  • Is so low profile it doesn't have base plate. This might matter if you travel with the keyboard or use it in a place where poo poo may snag on the leads and chips on the bottom.

Ugly:
  • Uses an IO-expander on the left half. The right half is attached to computer with USB. This is nice in some ways as it means you only have to worry about flashing one side. Personally, I prefer the USB connection on the left half but this may not matter to you.
  • IO-expander means custom QMK split matrix scanning code. Will not automatically get all improvements from QMK core. So far the keyboard has been fairly regularly maintained (see https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/commits?author=germ for keyboard creator's commit history).
  • In theory, the io-expander could be slower at matrix scanning than another dedicated microcontroller. It could also be faster. No way to know without testing. I'm currently working on a test rig for split keeb testing so I'll probably have more info on this sort of thing in the future.

Note that if you get addicted to split keyboards you have a good chance of getting into soldering anyway, and you can build a gergo + buy a decent soldering setup for about the same price as a prebuilt.