Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

In the show 'Halt & Catch Fire' there's a coder at Texas Instruments was making about $17k in the early 80's and for that you had to get dressed up in a nice outfit. Wages in the 70's before inflation really hit look crazy low now.

It's a TV show, but I imagine they didn't pull that number out of their rear end.

quote:

If you want to compare the value of a $20,000.00 Income or Wealth , in 1980 there are five choices. In 2018 the relative:
real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $61,000.00
household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $77,400.00
relative labor earnings of that commodity are $62,900.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $70,300.00 (using production worker compensation)
relative income value of that income or wealth is $100,000.00
relative output value of that income or wealth is $144,000.00

Yeah I guess you could live on that in most areas of the country.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

mind the walrus posted:

I actually had a "Boomer tries to shame Millennial with how they made it on 'so little' only to be shamed by inflation calculators" moment irl. My property taxes had spiked 50% in one years (still not sure why) and I was getting priced out of my neighborhood. My mom was giving me grief and going "I raised you 3 kids on $40k a year in 1996 and we did fine!" and I had to point out to her that $40k/yr in '96 is about $75k/yr in '17.

Boomers can't handle conversion rates. They really can't.
I've had that kind of conversation constantly whenever I say millennials got priced out of the housing market. They never clue in.

"Mortgages seem expensive but they are a good investment! I bought my house 25 years ago and now it's worth 8x the price!"
"Is my salary doing the same job as you 8x what you got 25 years ago?"
"No, not even close. What's your point?"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rereading It has a good bit where the kids who left town aren’t super rich but are treated as 90k being a lot of money at the time, while the one who stayed and became a librarian only makes 11k and lives fine off it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Wafer posted:

In the show 'Halt & Catch Fire' there's a coder at Texas Instruments was making about $17k in the early 80's and for that you had to get dressed up in a nice outfit. Wages in the 70's before inflation really hit look crazy low now.

It's a TV show, but I imagine they didn't pull that number out of their rear end.

Watching Mad Men was the same. There's even a scene where you think they're going to do the standard "write a number on a piece of paper but don't show the camera" routine, but they do actually show it, and wow! It's $19,000 per year!

Then again, this was 1965, and that turns out to be around $150,000/year for a Manhattan ad exec, and I'm pretty sure the rents weren't as outrageous as they are now.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Remember how Winston made 11,500 a year in 83/84 as a Ghostbuster and that was treated as a lot in NYC?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In an episode of Cheers, Sam gives Woody a $20 a week raise and they act like it's a lot. Or maybe they just wanted Woody to think it was a lot.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Grape posted:

Everything about this post... goddamn.
Other things I remember from the 1980s -
Gas was often <$1 a gallon.
ER visits were "outrageous" at $200.
Candy bars & sodas from machines were 50 cents, but all the adults grumbled because that was overpriced and in THEIR day it was a quarter. Or a nickel.
Bubblegum dispensers actually were a nickel.

But my boomer parents, who were there with me this whole time, don't understand that my $50K salary now doesn't make me rich compared to what they were making back then.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

That's pretty loving rad.

Unsanitary, but rad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Me, thinking about lunch*

Hmm... do I want rorst beef or liver sosage today???

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nowadays every one of those sandwiches would be in plastic and I'm kind of missing the old days even if I'm going to get the shits eating any of that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
well look at it this way: you're going to poo poo no matter what you eat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I honestly prefer the "unsanitary way" over the piles of plastic wrapped poo poo we do now. Just stick it in a refrigerated area

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"We don't use enough wax paper anymore like the old days." which is something a Boomer should say, but doesn't because if there's one thing Boomers love it's plastic.

Boomers are why fast food workers have to wear gloves even though I can scratch my rear end wearing latex too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

"We don't use enough wax paper anymore like the old days." which is something a Boomer should say, but doesn't because if there's one thing Boomers love it's plastic.
:yeah:

quote:

Boomers are why fast food workers have to wear gloves even though I can scratch my rear end wearing latex too.
:gonk:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

R.L. Stine posted:

what was the camera

Olympus EVOLT E-500, it's a digital SLR. This was a few years ago - I found a buyer for $150 who wanted it for her teenage son who was showing a passion in photography, so it would go to someone who enjoys taking photos for a pretty decent price considering its age and how much FIL had used it (pretty heavily). He wouldn't budge because of course it cost way more when he bought it new :/ Its current value on bokehmarket is like $70.

Dude was having trouble making bills and drowning in stuff, coulda had $150 cash-in-hand and something out of his house, but said no because he couldn't deal with the reality its value didn't hold up as well as he'd thought. After that I stopped helping him sell any of his hoard, bc it was clear he wasn't going to be reasonable about it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 17, 2019

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Krispy Wafer posted:

:chloe: I think you're gonna be the only one dying on this hill, soldier.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and it's stuck a lot more than Eggman since actual good games have called her Peach.

I thought he was only called Eggman in the Japanese version.

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I guess you could live on that in most areas of the country.

Probably more than half the people in this country would suck Satan's cock to make anything in the 60K area.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was never gross enough to scratch my rear end wearing gloves, but that didn't matter with boomers. When I was at Subway they would insist on me changing my gloves out, even if I made a show of putting brand new ones on. One boomer in particular had a habit of picking one of us out and accusing them of picking their nose or scratching their armpits, etc. It sounds silly but when someone repeatedly acusses you of being gross to everyone in the room it starts to weigh on you.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
They like producing and mailing this out.

Thanks for making it easy to decide who to vote for though!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
To be clear I never scratched any part of my body while handling food, but clean hands are as clean as gloves. No one gets grossed out watching cooks handle food bare-handed on the Food Network, but the idea of a Sandwich Artist or fast food worker creeps them out so there's probably some classism there.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

there's probably some classism there.

Definitely.

No one flinches when they watch a reality show like Hells Kitchen, where literally no one at any point wears gloves. Chef Ramsey could physically press his thumb into a scallop and nobody would bat an eyelash.

If the guy at McDonalds isn't wearing a plastic glove while touching a bun made out of 100% preservatives though, that should be illegal

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

No one gets grossed out watching cooks handle food bare-handed on the Food Network
I do, but I couldn't afford that level of food even if I wanted to so :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Achtane posted:

They like producing and mailing this out.

Thanks for making it easy to decide who to vote for though!

I get adds on TV for Kentucky that are about the same, if I lived in Kentucky I'd definitely be voting for whoever is lumped with Bernie and AOC :allears:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Never seen a hawaii in the wild :(

Gotta live/spend time near a military base. You'll get all the unusual ones there.

Dameius posted:

Nah, Peach is Princess Toadstool. Its like first name last name or first name title. Maybe its just my circle of people, but every Millennial knows her by both, but I think everyone just uses Peach, if for no other reason than fewer syllables.

I'm a millennial and she's always been both for me, but I think that's because the Mario game I played the most was SM64 where she calls herself both in the intro.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

I do, but I couldn't afford that level of food even if I wanted to so :shrug:

You remind me of my boomer family members from the Midwest who get grossed out at the idea of drinking soda out of the can.

"You have no idea what's been crawling around the top of that pop can lid, get a straw!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Iron Crowned posted:

I get adds on TV for Kentucky that are about the same, if I lived in Kentucky I'd definitely be voting for whoever is lumped with Bernie and AOC :allears:

lol I'm from there and remember that this is the state that has voted for Mitch McConnell so much for so long he's drat near untouchable. Even now they have a Governor who is a Trump shill, the 2nd most hated Gov in the US, and is still neck and neck in the polls with his opponent.

Corporations have spent over 100 years destroying the local landscape and economy but heaven forbid you don't vote straight ticket or any different than "It's what Daddy did.'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

You remind me of my boomer family members from the Midwest who get grossed out at the idea of drinking soda out of the can.

"You have no idea what's been crawling around the top of that pop can lid, get a straw!"

I worked frontline in hospitals. I've been elbow-deep in things that would make you cry. I like clean hands prepping my food.

For the record I'd be fine if I saw them use some Purell or wash with regular soap before cooking. It's not "ew I don't trust you" it's "you've been on shift six hours and I know you've been stuck in one place prepping meals for the last three, you could stand to wipe down your hands before touching more food."

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Bonzo posted:

lol I'm from there and remember that this is the state that has voted for Mitch McConnell so much for so long he's drat near untouchable. Even now they have a Governor who is a Trump shill, the 2nd most hated Gov in the US, and is still neck and neck in the polls with his opponent.

Corporations have spent over 100 years destroying the local landscape and economy but heaven forbid you don't vote straight ticket or any different than "It's what Daddy did.'

Matt Bevin is boomer politics made flesh. He caused a huge teachers strike by gutting their pensions. He then said some kids were probably molested because they had to stay home. Despite being the most unpopular governor in the country he's still in a dead heat with the Democrat contender.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I asked my brother that Peach or Toadstool question as "What is the name of the Princess Mario saves?" He answered Daisy. Whats that make him?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

winterwerefox posted:

I asked my brother that Peach or Toadstool question as "What is the name of the Princess Mario saves?" He answered Daisy. Whats that make him?

A normie

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheGunzShow/status/1183896302008094721

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

grittyreboot posted:

Matt Bevin is boomer politics made flesh. He caused a huge teachers strike by gutting their pensions. He then said some kids were probably molested because they had to stay home. Despite being the most unpopular governor in the country he's still in a dead heat with the Democrat contender.

Look at some of the referendums states' voters are passing. A lot of lefty things. Marijuana legalization, anti-gerrymandering, the one in Florida that gave felons their right to vote back after they serve their time... and yet there's this funky chunk of 10%-20% of voters who will back these items, but vote for Republican politicians who then go on to do everything they can to stymie the actions passed via referendum.

In Illinois in 2014, there were three non-biding state ballot measures. Raise taxes on incomes greater than $3million. ~60% yes! Require health insurance to cover contraception. 63% yes! Minimum wage increase 63% yes!

Bruce Rauner (R) for governor - 51%. :suicide:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

He's not even old enough to be a boomer... uuuuugggggghhhh. :barf:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

LabyaMynora posted:

Look at some of the referendums states' voters are passing. A lot of lefty things. Marijuana legalization, anti-gerrymandering, the one in Florida that gave felons their right to vote back after they serve their time... and yet there's this funky chunk of 10%-20% of voters who will back these items, but vote for Republican politicians who then go on to do everything they can to stymie the actions passed via referendum.

In Illinois in 2014, there were three non-biding state ballot measures. Raise taxes on incomes greater than $3million. ~60% yes! Require health insurance to cover contraception. 63% yes! Minimum wage increase 63% yes!

Bruce Rauner (R) for governor - 51%. :suicide:

Even Massachusetts has a bizarre fetish for electing Serious Businessman republican governors, but that brain worm hasn't spread to the federal level thankfully.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

potee posted:

Even Massachusetts has a bizarre fetish for electing Serious Businessman republican governors, but that brain worm hasn't spread to the federal level thankfully.

Still sucks because let's say Warren wins the election and becomes president, Charlie Baker gets to appoint her successor. Best of all, it used to go to a special election, but after Scott Brown the Dems switched it up to governor appointee.

Oh Dems, always stepping on your dicks!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Dude must really love the original Game Boy Super Mario Land

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

PinheadSlim posted:

Definitely.

No one flinches when they watch a reality show like Hells Kitchen, where literally no one at any point wears gloves. Chef Ramsey could physically press his thumb into a scallop and nobody would bat an eyelash.

If the guy at McDonalds isn't wearing a plastic glove while touching a bun made out of 100% preservatives though, that should be illegal

When someone complains about fast food workers not wearing gloves I point out to them that not a single restaurant you'll go to has people using gloves in the kitchen. No one bitches about it because you can't see it. Most people would probably never go to a restaurant ever again if they saw what happens in kitchens.

LabyaMynora posted:

Still sucks because let's say Warren wins the election and becomes president, Charlie Baker gets to appoint her successor. Best of all, it used to go to a special election, but after Scott Brown the Dems switched it up to governor appointee.

Oh Dems, always stepping on your dicks!

Scott Brown only won that seat in Massachusetts because everyone hated the democrat who ran against him in that election. But we're still the state who elected Mitt Romney.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be clear I never scratched any part of my body while handling food, but clean hands are as clean as gloves. No one gets grossed out watching cooks handle food bare-handed on the Food Network, but the idea of a Sandwich Artist or fast food worker creeps them out so there's probably some classism there.

Oh boy you reminded me of a bullshit policy we had at my old job that came after we failed a health inspection due to things like having too small a walk-in to safely contain all our food. Instead of fixing that problem, the owners decided that we would wash our hands every 15 minutes regardless of whether or not we were wearing gloves at the time. It was dumb but even dumber was having to change your gloves and wash your hands every time you handled an egg. Every. Time. So you would wash your hands, put on gloves, crack an egg, take off gloves, wash your hands, put gloves back on.

Edit: I feel it's also worth noting that we had rats in the kitchen as well as German cockroaches but the owners decided that it was easier to give us poo poo about hand washing than to get decent pest control.

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I'm the liver sosage