Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s going to be Bran just in a less stupid way.

Well actually it’s going to be no one because there will never be an ending.

No one, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bran being king and "Why do you think I came all this way" makes perfect sense if he's really Bloodraven.
In order to explain this twist, GRRM has to put out a whole series of prequels BEFORE he can even end the first series. It's like a loving fractal of project delay. If he had mapped this out better, he could have dropped a few paragraphs in the first novel about Bloodraven, laid a little ground work, you know?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's supposedly got two more books for Sam to find a chronicle about Bloodraven or some poo poo to lay the ground work. He also dropped foreshadowing that Arya was going to die with her sword frozen in her hand, and we all know he's backtracked from that too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

grrm would finish these in like a year if someone would just bonk him with a car already

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one wants to ruin their car by hitting the human equivalent of a behatted walrus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s going to be Bran just in a less stupid way.

Well actually it’s going to be no one because there will never be an ending.

I didn't know Odysseus was in the series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's supposedly got two more books for Sam to find a chronicle about Bloodraven or some poo poo to lay the ground work. He also dropped foreshadowing that Arya was going to die with her sword frozen in her hand, and we all know he's backtracked from that too.

what foreshadowing for Arya?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

what foreshadowing for Arya?

gurm once upon a time, many many moons ago posted:

You had best run back to your room, little sister. Septa Mordane will surely be lurking. The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You’ll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.”

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope GRRM is ridiculed constantly for the next couple years left of his life and the jokes will continue after his massive heart attack.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

How do you even remember this stuff? It’s been that long since I read the books I can‘t even remember where we’re up to. Where did Arya finish, was she blind? The only one I can remember is Brienne has been hung by old stone face for over 10 years.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

You need to watch more Preston

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel bad for Preston because now that the show is over he can’t put out nearly as many videos and probably needs to get a real job.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel bad for Preston because now that the show is over he can’t put out nearly as many videos and probably needs to get a real job.

He doesn't need the show alive to write his fanfiction.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nice. what is the context there? who is speaking?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kcroy posted:

nice. what is the context there? who is speaking?

Sansa. I think it’s the first time the readers meet Sansa or Arya

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was Jon Snow

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A Song of Ice and Fire, but with Zero and Mikhail from Drakengard 3.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is why you should watch Alt-Shift-X instead. By the time the show slid face-first across the finish line he was just tiredly thankful it was done and he didn't have to talk about GRRM stuff anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He works for the State Department apparently

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did he backtrack or was it just the idiot writers since they basically said "uuuhhh jon snow is too obvious to kill the night king we need someone noone will suspect hmmm lets make it arya i guess"

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 22, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The idiot writers for the show certainly backtracked. I could see GRRM sticking with it, but that would involve him writing and :effort:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I had to look him up.

Two hours of video in six parts on "How I would Fix Game of Thrones Season eight". :ohdear:

That's practically a cry for help.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still stand by my assertion that Season 8 was not that bad. It was the worst season, but I still believe the biggest issue was the lack of episodes and time. The exact same ending could've landed a lot better with more exploration into the characters, Dany and Jon's romance, and what have you. But I'm also not into the whole "professionally outraged" schtick some folks have.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The rise of meta-content as an industry is something that makes me feel kind of weird.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You should make a six part video exploring your feelings.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Deptfordx posted:

You should make a six part video exploring your feelings.

This is not an amazing post, but it's a good post. It's for snarky meta-humor like this that I really enjoy Something Awful.

Hats off to you sir.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I too believe season 8 could have been much better if it was just written to be good instead of bad.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I still stand by my assertion that Season 8 was not that bad. It was the worst season, but I still believe the biggest issue was the lack of episodes and time. The exact same ending could've landed a lot better with more exploration into the characters, Dany and Jon's romance, and what have you. But I'm also not into the whole "professionally outraged" schtick some folks have.

So your argument here is that it wasn't that bad because they could have made it good but didn't?

e:f,b :bahgawd:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 8 was only bad if you compare it to other seasons of GoT. If we compare it to, say, the last season of Dexter it barely clears the bar and could be considered "decent."

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

The idiot writers for the show certainly backtracked. I could see GRRM sticking with it, but that would involve him writing and :effort:

I don't think a random throw away line is a good example of foreshadowing unless you got serious Preston brain

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't think a random throw away line is a good example of foreshadowing unless you got serious Preston brain

Eh, a "random throw away line" about one of the main characters in a series full of super heavy foreshadowing and prophecies. And say what you will about how much of season 8 was following GRRM's outline, I don't expect* the Night King to get killed by a dagger after killing only 2 important people at Winterfell, so I can very easily see Arya dying.

* insert usual joke about how I don't actually expect anything because the books will never be finished etc

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

So your argument here is that it wasn't that bad because they could have made it good but didn't?

e:f,b :bahgawd:

That's not at all what I said. I literally said keep the same ending. Just have more exposition and scenes to position the folks together. That's different than saying "do the same thing but better". I'm not even sure how this is a confusing concept?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dont really expect the night king to exist
Which is good cuz he's super lame

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You can’t fix Season 8 without completely overhauling Season 7 as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

IIRC, GRRM said his wife threatened to divorce him if he killed Arya, so I think she's safe.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC, GRRM said his wife threatened to divorce him if he killed Arya, so I think she's safe.

She’s no longer a maid of ten and three, he’s probably quite tired of her.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Eh, a "random throw away line" about one of the main characters in a series full of super heavy foreshadowing and prophecies. And say what you will about how much of season 8 was following GRRM's outline, I don't expect* the Night King to get killed by a dagger after killing only 2 important people at Winterfell, so I can very easily see Arya dying.

* insert usual joke about how I don't actually expect anything because the books will never be finished etc

No Arya doing the deed seems GRRM. One thing I’d expect from the never to exist book version is Zombie Cat Stark to die there saving Arya instead of Beric Dondarrion dying again.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The dude works for the State Department as an analyst and is like 6'4" and his wife just had a baby. Dude didn't even monetize his poo poo for most of the life of his channel, and when he started it seemed to be clearly a well-timed "let's cash in on the series ending and start a college fund for the kid" thing than like, him actually needing it.

Goons not being able to parse social classes is the most hilarious poo poo.

Weavered posted:

No Arya doing the deed seems GRRM. One thing I’d expect from the never to exist book version is Zombie Cat Stark to die there saving Arya instead of Beric Dondarrion dying again.

It's always seemed really clear to me that Arya's being set up to mercy kill Lady Stoneheart, and that's actually going to be what really makes her put aside the revenge track and go back to her family. There's a lot of poo poo in the Riverlands that's basically a set up for making Arya remember who/what she is and what's really important: the Freys, the Hound-as-Gravedigger, Nymeria, but most of all Lady Stoneheart. If she does team up with Beric, too, and revitalizes him in some way, that would also be where they probably cross paths. At this point I forget if Hot Pie is at the Inn of the XRoads in the book, but if that's not just a show thing, that too.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 25, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Beric is dead-dead in the books tho, he gave up his spark to revive Cat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmfao I got an fb memory from 8 years ago about being me being disappointed after finishing ADWD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188204609510264833