Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carecat posted:

Generally the thought cabinet does not work in obvious ways.

Is that in relation to the harbour? I’ll meditate on it, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Alright.

What about going deliberately balanced, like with 3 in everything. Will that be taking away from the experience?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
god drat it, I took the pants off in the initial room because it decreased my selected stat or whatever, and then spent 10 minutes getting increasingly frustrated.

it kind of works for my 1-4-4-3 character though so I'm gonna roll with it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OscarDiggs posted:

Alright.

What about going deliberately balanced, like with 3 in everything. Will that be taking away from the experience?

Not at all. There's even an achievement for being the most boring cop possible.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Really the only advice for stats is probably don't do your first play through with 1 in physique and/or psyche. Although the game teaches you that lesson hilariously fast.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

OscarDiggs posted:

Alright.

Alternatively, 1 in everything

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Alternatively, 1 in everything

actually do this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any recommended starting build for a first playthrough? Specifically from a "embrace what a weird game this is" standpoint. I don't want to accidentally stumble into a build that makes things more tame, if that's even possible.

lol what if I read the current discussion at all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I get the impression that even the boring, radical centrist copotype playthrough is pretty wild so don't fret about things being too tame

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

OscarDiggs posted:

Alright.

I’ve been playing a 3-4-3-2 so I started pretty balanced. Your dialog choices and level ups influence a ton of what you do anyway. I’m sure you could start with the same stats and have a wildly different experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What does it mean for something to be your "signature" skill?

I can't decide between going heavy on the Int and going for like Conceptualization or Drama, or going paranatural with either Inland Empire or Shivers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Any recommended starting build for a first playthrough? Specifically from a "embrace what a weird game this is" standpoint. I don't want to accidentally stumble into a build that makes things more tame, if that's even possible.

lol what if I read the current discussion at all

this is a game where stats support your actions rather than actions following stats. you're better off thinking about what kind of detective do you want to be. addict sherlock holmes? rear end in a top hat dick tracy? drunken dale cooper? think about how you would prefer to approach problems and then build your attributes around the kind of voice you would like your character to have

Harrow posted:

I can't decide between going heavy on the Int and going for like Conceptualization or Drama, or going paranatural with either Inland Empire or Shivers.

it's like the one skill you are Known for, you get an extra point in that skill and a bonus to all skills for the attribute

heavy int conceptualization would be like an artist cop. drama would be an actor cop. inland empire is the david lynch cop, shivers is spooky hunch cop. whichever of these sounds most fun to you, go with that - you won't be gated, it'll just be the thing you use slightly more often than others

e: if you want to do a brainy cop who is logic smart and spooky smart you can't go wrong with 4-4-2-2

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2019

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

It gives you a +1 bonus to that skill and increases the cap for all skills in that category

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What would be a good Sam Vimes build?

Something like 4-2-4-2 with Signature in Shivers perhaps?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
huh, i restarted my game and now the game will not give me credit for picking up my right shoe. it just vanishes into the nether. i wonder if a patch screwed that up?

edit: it will let me grab one shoe but the other vanishes. it won't give me Both Shoes or credit for finding them

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 17, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I went super deep in Half Light and I'm surprisingly not being told to kill people or run away as often as I expected.

Also I can't believe that I almost missed a huge chunk of lore by not admitting my amnesia at the start. That Jamais Vu thought is crazy when you follow it to the end.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Verviticus posted:

huh, i restarted my game and now the game will not give me credit for picking up my right shoe. it just vanishes into the nether. i wonder if a patch screwed that up?

its a known bug

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verviticus posted:

Close the game out fully before restarting.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Close the game out fully before restarting.

this worked, thank you

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Game good. Not sure on the ending probably need to do another playthrough and try some other stuff to fully decide. The number of softlocks I started getting towards the end wasn't great.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Everything about inventing house music and dancing so hard I met the spirit of the city and meeting the giant mantis was great. Doing the first on the last day before doing the last was totally the way to go. Sadly the bed at the end bugged out and I never got the last dream.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Broken Cog posted:

What would be a good Sam Vimes build?

Something like 4-2-4-2 with Signature in Shivers perhaps?

I think he needs more Psyche to have Esprit de Corps and Empathy.

But yeah, Shivers for sure. You could play early Vimes as a big alcohol brawler guy and late Vimes as a diplomat with rage issues (physical instrument or Half Light?)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mulva posted:

Everything about inventing house music and dancing so hard I met the spirit of the city and meeting the giant mantis was great. Doing the first on the last day before doing the last was totally the way to go. Sadly the bed at the end bugged out and I never got the last dream.

Ending spoiler:Meeting the phasmid was going great and was really atmospheric and then the game softlocked on me ruining the whole moment

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 17, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

space uncle posted:

I think he needs more Psyche to have Esprit de Corps and Empathy.

But yeah, Shivers for sure. You could play early Vimes as a big alcohol brawler guy and late Vimes as a diplomat with rage issues (physical instrument or Half Light?)

You're right, maybe something like 2-4-4-2 would be more fitting, he's more people/street smart than intelligent.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

itry posted:

This made me laugh more than it probably should have:

It's just a cropped out of context comment by Conceptualization.

Skill comments are some of the most entertaining writing in game. I don't know if I love it more when they dunk on NPCs, dunk on you, accidentally start working in tandem or entirely lose it due to both you and the world itself being such wrecks. I mean, look at this poo poo (should be out of context enough to not spoil stuff):

I also appreciate how the game is not above squeezing comedy out of everything it can, UI elements included (look at that arrangement of response options):

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Late game-ish spoilers I guess? Where do I need to stand for mapping out the possible shooter locations? I found the spot at Land's End but I can't figure out where it wants me to be for the boardwalk and islet.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Okay, I'm being blocked by a major -10 modifier in the church, so I have to ask, how do I learn about the Pale
I found a book in the bookstore that mentioned it, but it didn't change anything.

I know there was a discussion here earlier mentioning you have to talk to a certain character, but I don't know who they are.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

Okay, I'm being blocked by a major -10 modifier in the church, so I have to ask, how do I learn about the Pale
I found a book in the bookstore that mentioned it, but it didn't change anything.

I know there was a discussion here earlier mentioning you have to talk to a certain character, but I don't know who they are.

a certain liberal woman

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Phoix posted:

Late game-ish spoilers I guess? Where do I need to stand for mapping out the possible shooter locations? I found the spot at Land's End but I can't figure out where it wants me to be for the boardwalk and islet.

I spent so long on this. Just move on, they come in the course of the main objective.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm installing this right now, and my goal is to be Morty Cop, he's doing his best.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Davincie posted:

a certain liberal woman

Do you mean the one on the boat? I exhausted all of her dialogue options and while she does mention it she doesn't go into any detail.

Edit: Hahahaha, I passed the check first try despite having only a 3%, unfortunately this means I used up all my dice roll luck with that and it's time to fail a bunch of 90% rolls too make up for it

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 18, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I honestly think Disco Elysium is one of those games that in a few years we will look back and realize it had a profound influence on the evolution of RPGs. Like a System Shock or Ultima Underworld before it. Games that weren't necessarily blockbusters sales wise, but developers played, went "holy poo poo" and embraced the innovative gameplay ideas.

I'm sure Obsidian is playing this right now thinking "holy poo poo why didn't we think of some of this stuff, and how can we incorporate it into our next game"?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm having a real hard time committing to what I want to do :ohdear:

I know I'm not going to be gated, I just can't decide what kind of experience I want to have. The skills that sound interesting to me are so spread out that I can't really figure out what to do. I'm into Visual Calculus, Conceptualization, Empathy, Shivers, and Perception and it's hard for me to decide what I feel like would be the most fun for my first run.

Do I go all Mind Palace with Visual Calculus/Encyclopedia/Conceptualization stuff, or maybe go Sam Vimes like people were just talking about and accept that I'm not going to solve much with my brain? Difficult choices.

I tried out the very first part of the game with Inland Empire as my signature and I'm not sure I'm into having my clothes talk to me for my first run, but probably next time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for anyone else stuck at this point, i can't help but notice that screen shot was taken at night time or early morning, and the quest pretty explicitly requires you to go there first during the day because they want the guy to come home from work and see that his house was vandalized.

have you tried going to that location in the day, or is it just non-interactive no matter what?

I've tried it day and night and the door only makes a lock rattling noise.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

After failing the check to stare Kassje in the eye, I got really curious about what you'd see so I start to pump points into volition. After failing 3 white checks and now being forced to be the straightest cop, the result didn't disappoint.

Favorite sequence in the game till now. My jaw was on the floor for the entirety of that exchange.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm having a real hard time committing to what I want to do :ohdear:

I know I'm not going to be gated, I just can't decide what kind of experience I want to have. The skills that sound interesting to me are so spread out that I can't really figure out what to do. I'm into Visual Calculus, Conceptualization, Empathy, Shivers, and Perception and it's hard for me to decide what I feel like would be the most fun for my first run.
My spread is 3/3/1/5 and I have all of those p.high by day two, maybe just Visual Calculus suffers a bit. There are early-game thoughts available that raise your Shivers and Perception cap, and you can easily add a few points to most of the above via clothing as well. So, spreading your favorite skills across stats is perfectly doable, unless you wanna completely max them out.

No matter your spread, Perception is handy for everyone though, as without it you'd straight up miss some points of interest that would trigger follow-up skills.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You know guys, it's really tempting to save-scum after failing to bring down the body 5 consecutive times :v: .

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

theblackw0lf posted:

I honestly think Disco Elysium is one of those games that in a few years we will look back and realize it had a profound influence on the evolution of RPGs. Like a System Shock or Ultima Underworld before it. Games that weren't necessarily blockbusters sales wise, but developers played, went "holy poo poo" and embraced the innovative gameplay ideas.

I'm sure Obsidian is playing this right now thinking "holy poo poo why didn't we think of some of this stuff, and how can we incorporate it into our next game"?

i'm not so sure. the depiction of the protagonist and its implication on the gameplay are unique and very impressive, but they're also very difficult and time intensive to write. this was a labour of love that took 5 years to write, obsidian might take some hints from Disco Elysium, but i'm not sure if they'll ever be in the position to properly take these lessons to heart. we might never see something quite like this again

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
I am absolutely loving this game, the only problem is it just barely runs on my laptop. The load times are super long, and while I'm willing to deal with it I just hit what might be a bug in a conversation with the Union meathead.

It's at the end of a conversation where he leaves and comes back, only when he returns the dialogue doesn't continue leaving me stuck. I've reloaded two saves and it hasn't fixed the issue, has this happened to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

oscarthewilde posted:

i'm not so sure. the depiction of the protagonist and its implication on the gameplay are unique and very impressive, but they're also very difficult and time intensive to write. this was a labour of love that took 5 years to write, obsidian might take some hints from Disco Elysium, but i'm not sure if they'll ever be in the position to properly take these lessons to heart. we might never see something quite like this again

Yeah I personally honestly can't really see the larger effort of the game catching on like even the skills talking to you means they have to write lines for a variety of skills for most of the dialog everywhere all the time and thats not including any branching or past choices influencing future dialog.