Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Deku's dad comes back with the pack of cigarettes his quirk needs to be broken and takes down Shiggy in one move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

his dad comes back and informs deku that he's half god.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi has said that Midoriya's father will show up at some point in the story which, good god, it better not be AFO somehow. I'm highly doubting it, but it would be the most cape comic thing ever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi has said that Midoriya's father will show up at some point in the story which, good god, it better not be AFO somehow. I'm highly doubting it, but it would be the most cape comic thing ever.

I forget, has it been said in the manga (or the anime for that matter) where Deku’s dad is at the moment?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 17, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

I forget, has it been said in the manga where Deku’s dad is at the moment?

in the manga proper? I dont think so, but he's in america abroad as some sort of business man

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

I forget, has it been said in the manga (or the anime for that matter) where Deku’s dad is at the moment?

Businessman abroad, like all absent parents in anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, also apparently Midoriya’s dad can breathe fire and his mom is a living magnet (I don’t remember if we’ve ever actually seen her use her quirk though).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, also apparently Midoriya’s dad can breathe fire and his mom is a living magnet (I don’t remember if we’ve ever actually seen her use her quirk though).

In the flashback to the doctor telling Izuku he doesn't have a quirk she uses it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Larryb posted:

There's a few times when you see her using it to grab stuff in the kitchen.

Whenever people bring up Deku's dad, I think back to the Muscular fight when Deku thought he was going to die and he was apologizing to his mom and All Might. Even when he thinks he's about to die, his dad doesn't even cross his mind.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

we have she picked up deku's all might toy

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonne posted:

Whenever people bring up Deku's dad, I think back to the Muscular fight when Deku thought he was going to die and he was apologizing to his mom and All Might. Even when he thinks he's about to die, his dad doesn't even cross his mind.
Well, All Might and old man Torino are sorta like his current dads.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, Deku never really brings up his father that much (if at all for that matter) which sort of makes me wonder what kind of relationship the two have with one another.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Well, All Might and old man Torino are sorta like his current dads.

All Might is dad, Eraserhead is tired dad, Torino is grumpy grandpa.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I know it started as a joke theory but the fact that All for One has the same hair as Izuku has me at a good 70% of him being his dad. You don't have the same hair as someone in a manga without being related in some way. Its a rule or something. Oh and also his doctor is blatantly AfO's evil scientist friend. Theres already a proven connection.

It's gonna be the Obito=Tobi theory of this gen. So dumb it has to be true.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 18, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Deku never really brings up his father that much (if at all for that matter) which sort of makes me wonder what kind of relationship the two have with one another.
Hopefully it's sorta like "Oh, hey dad! You're alive. Everything cool? Cool beans! Cya!". Y'know, just... better expressed than that.

Rhonne posted:

All Might is dad, Eraserhead is tired dad, Torino is grumpy grandpa.
3 Dads for the price of getting into a superhero high school. :10bux:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

By that logic, Deku and Ashido are related too since they have similar hair. And that guy from Toga's flashback that looked almost exactly like Deku.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’d be surprised if Deku’s dad ever shows up even though Horikoshi said he would.

It always felt to me like Deku has an absent Dad less because that’s important to the character or anything but more because having a present and existing father figure would have been an obstacle to the story.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

She's going to use it to save Midoriya from a potentially fatal hit and it's gonna own.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deku's dad was the last hokage

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

This is still the most hosed up thing in the series; the fact that Deku could have had pyrokinesis if he ended up with a quirk or just plain fire breath.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
You goons Hori is such a Star Wars nerd you should know how this reveal is going to go down. AfO is even modelled after Darth Vader.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

By that logic, Deku and Ashido are related too since they have similar hair. And that guy from Toga's flashback that looked almost exactly like Deku.

Honestly AfO's old enough that he could be both dad and grandpa to the entire class and faculty.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Last Celebration posted:

This is still the most hosed up thing in the series; the fact that Deku could have had pyrokinesis if he ended up with a quirk or just plain fire breath.

Or the ability to attract fires to himself. Self immolation, the greatest power of all.

Or maybe he could breathe out telekinetic breath.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I think multi-quirks are a really really boring concept to be honest. One of the most appealing things about MHA to me was the idea that everyone has one skill of varying quality and they develop by figuring out how to make that skill work for them. "I can pull new skills out of my rear end" like Deku and AFO have just bore the hell out of me. I don't mind quirks that can develop to do more things (like Vigilantes does or like what happened in the MVA arc) but just the multi-quirk thing is boooooring.

Fully agreed, the reveal that Deku has like 8 quirks, and that Shiagaraki is apparently going to get access to more quirks too has sucked a lot of the excitement out of the series for me.

Hori hasn't really disappointed me before with plot beats, though, so I wonder if we'll end up with the Eri bullets erasing a good chunk of the multiquirks or something like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deku's gonna give his quirks away to his friends and just keep OfA for himself because that's the quirk the hero he idolized used.

Think of it, Kirishima as a wrecking ball.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Deku's gonna give his quirks away to his friends and just keep OfA for himself because that's the quirk the hero he idolized used.

Oh, actually, that would address that particular set of pages from early on in MHA where Kirishima is wondering what he'll actually end up doing with his Quirk since it's clearly a tier below everyone else's. (Even with the Overhaul arc touching upon that it's still not fully addressed.)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think multi-quirks are a really really boring concept to be honest. One of the most appealing things about MHA to me was the idea that everyone has one skill of varying quality and they develop by figuring out how to make that skill work for them. "I can pull new skills out of my rear end" like Deku and AFO have just bore the hell out of me. I don't mind quirks that can develop to do more things (like Vigilantes does or like what happened in the MVA arc) but just the multi-quirk thing is boooooring.

They already play fast and loose with multi-quirks already. Even though they say that Shoto's Quirk is "Half-Hot Half-Cold" he straight up has 2 quirks. Froppy has like 4+ quirks: enhanced physical abilities, long tongue, acid spit, camouflage, maybe more.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Or the ability to attract fires to himself. Self immolation, the greatest power of all.

Or maybe he could breathe out telekinetic breath.

Actually I could see that morphing pretty easily into him being able to manipulate fire. He can't create it, but he can manipulate already existing fire. That'd be a pretty good power, if it made it so that he has better control over fire than someone like Endeavor or Todoroki.

It would also make him a great teammate/counter to them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RareAcumen posted:

So he’ll be Captain Marvel/Shazam then?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Deku's original power was the ability to suck things into his mouth, like Kirby, then expel them as fireballs, like Yoshi with a red shell.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

Multi-quirks are cool if the setting is designed that people's quirks are drawn from a combination of archetypes like they're playing Magika

We'll call it... Hero X Hero

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter's out.

Endeavor being put into a mentor role to these three is a pretty interesting development. He seems to see a bit of himself in Bakugo's drive to be the number 1. Plus his processing skills gets shown in how he listened to all of Deku's word salad and understood what Deku wanted. Shoto going "Wait, what about my turn?" when Endeavor's all set to go out is some wonderful trolling. :v:

Hori having Shoto reaffirm that he hasn't forgiven Endeavor for what he put him and his mom through was real good. I appreciate that this isn't quietly swept under the rug and that Endeavor trying to atone to his family will be a long and painful process.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Burnin' is great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Burning continues to be very good.

I have to admit I am beginning to like Endeavor. He is still a horrible and morally reprehensible person, obviously, but the whole dynamics where he is finally aware of that fact and is somewhat trying to change, while also trying to emulate All Might without having the disposition and charisma to do so successfully, is interesting. Also Shoto absolutely not buying his poo poo and roasting him every chance he gets will never stop being entertaining. :allears:

I still don't know how I feel about his possible redemption, but I think Endeavor is being set up for a failure as Number One hero with Shoto forgiving him being the sole silver lining before his death and I might be OK with that.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Another note on Endeavor, when he says "one of us". Apparently he had to learn heat regulations just like Deku had to learn strength regulations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Another note on Endeavor, when he says "one of us". Apparently he had to learn heat regulations just like Deku had to learn strength regulations.

I thought that was apparent from his drive to find an ice quirk to help his successor deal with the heat? We knew from Shoto that just using Ice causes problems relating to lower body temperatures so it's obvious that the opposite would be true. As more recently seen with Dabi as well who seems even less equipped to deal with his own fire quirk than the guy who perpetually keeps a fire beard going

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I really enjoyed Endeavor's reaction this chapter. The way he actually listened to Deku ramble on and managed to summarize it in 1 sentence was great. Same with his reaction to Bakugou.
And I love how the manga keeps hammering down the fact that he is not forgiven for the poo poo he did. He's such an interesting character.

Also one more for Burnin' being awesome

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Nthing Shoto not letting his dad off the hook, letting this be the long, hard process it absolutely should be. Dealing with my own lovely parent stuff, that's definitely a kind of mood

Also it's me again, the person who loves little background details

Like Bakugo looking extremely pissed about this whole situation while Deku's trying to explain without outing OfA

And last but definitely not least, Burnin' rules

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As a former Naruto fan, seeing Todoroki continue to show his contempt for Endeavor makes me excessively happy. I feel like I'm congratulating Hori for doing the bare minimum, but I can't help being disillusioned.

Deku feels like the odd one out in Endeavor's group of apprentices, with Shoto having obvious bad blood with him and Bakugou feeling like a younger but less morally reprehensible version of him. Of course, being the former protege of his lifelong rival should affect their dynamic in an interesting way.

w/r/t Deku's potential inheritance: I'm very amused that Deku basically missed out on being born with a generic main character powerset. Feels like every other genre fiction hero out there can spontaneously produce flames. Come to think of it, I wonder if pyrokinesis is going to be one of the last powers he unlocks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supersonic Shine posted:

As a former Naruto fan, seeing Todoroki continue to show his contempt for Endeavor makes me excessively happy. I feel like I'm congratulating Hori for doing the bare minimum, but I can't help being disillusioned.

Deku feels like the odd one out in Endeavor's group of apprentices, with Shoto having obvious bad blood with him and Bakugou feeling like a younger but less morally reprehensible version of him. Of course, being the former protege of his lifelong rival should affect their dynamic in an interesting way.

w/r/t Deku's potential inheritance: I'm very amused that Deku basically missed out on being born with a generic main character powerset. Feels like every other genre fiction hero out there can spontaneously produce flames. Come to think of it, I wonder if pyrokinesis is going to be one of the last powers he unlocks...

Endeavor has recognized, on multiple occasions now, that Deku's quirk is similar to All Might's, at the least, so even if he's not aware of the connection it'll likely color his attitude towards Deku.

And I think that Horikoshi not just not having Shoto forgive Endeavor right away, but having Endeavor acknowledge that and also that he had been hoping it would be easier/seeing what he wanted to see in Shoto working with him, shows that he's putting some thought into it, which is good.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 19, 2019