Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Speaking of hats, I ran into an amusing sequence bug involving them.

Early on, if you manage to let the bookstore woman's daughter back inside she gives you a detective hat, which I wore through most of the game. Later on, you get an opportunity to give your hat to a chick standing out in the ice. I was sad to lose my hat. Later on, while doing a quick roundup before beating the game, I talked to the little girl again and the dialog repeated as if she had never given me the hat, including me getting another copy of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Yep, this. Then after the conversation you should be able to choose the relevant option. (Might need to have your partner with you throughout for option to appear, can't quite remember.)

Yeah, I talked to him and didn't get the option. I'm not really sure what else I need to do if you really can get it there.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Did you talk to him again after Kim joins you? After conversation is concluded you should have one of your skills interrupt and go, "But where is home?"

VV Exactly the same for me. VV

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the moment I fell in love with Kim

extremely minor spoiler

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did you talk to him again after Kim joins you? After conversation is concluded you should have one of your skills interrupt and go, "But where is home?"

Huh, that didn't happen.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hmm, maybe there was some conversation node you didn't take. Don't think it's locked behind any of the skills.

Either way, I think there are more chances to get that thought. Basically, just keep an eye for "gently caress everything. Hobocop." and suchlike response options.

ETA: Booted up old save out of curiosity - completing the conversation with Garte, prompted blue orb to float around my head, and clicking on that opened the where is home? interaction. Don't know how long it lasts if you don't click it.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 18, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I did Karaoke! Not really sure what I was expecting but holy poo poo that voice, I guess Reptile Brain was a clue...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Welp, I was unable to beg the rich lady for money. I guess I'd better find a bench or something to sleep on?

I did successfully shoot down the body, and did well on the autopsy, but I failed a very high Perception check, and flubbed convincing Cumo to find a fridge, so I guess I'll leave that be. I did manage to pass the 28% Empathy check but picked the wrong approach and locked it again.

I was also going to ask if Volumetric poo poo Compressor meant it removed all locks for Endurance checks, but after failing, it turned out that nope, it really does mean it was a one-time only lock remover. If I ever fill out my cabinet with the fill 12 thoughts and still need space, I'll chuck that one in the bin first.

Re. curtains - obvious question, but you have a flashlight equipped, right? Can't think of what else would prevent you finding anything of interest, as your perception should be high enough with that 4 in MOT. How far could you go? Did you open the door further behind the curtains?

I found the gym behind it, and a hall which was collapsed, but nothing else. It didn't seem too dark, but maybe that was wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is a Dirk Gently simulator?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

This is a Dirk Gently simulator?

You can definitely do it! Problem is, with Shivers being physical, I came up with two ways to do it. Just look for my post history in the thread and look for "one more" at the start of the post.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I found the gym behind it, and a hall which was collapsed, but nothing else. It didn't seem too dark, but maybe that was wrong.

look a bit further, you are missing a fairly big area. it can be a bit tricky cause the door isnt super obvious

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I was also going to ask if Volumetric poo poo Compressor meant it removed all locks for Endurance checks, but after failing, it turned out that nope, it really does mean it was a one-time only lock remover. If I ever fill out my cabinet with the fill 12 thoughts and still need space, I'll chuck that one in the bin first.
I think that one in particular was designed to be discarded after it serves its purpose (it's the "tutorial" Thought, 4 Endurance is fairly quick to level to, and I've yet to see it provide other specific check bonuses besides approaching the hanged man).

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Oh yeah, there's definitely more to it. Equip the flashlight and go opposite direction from the collapsed hallway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you remember which actual choice you need to pick? I've done that conversation several times now and no matter what I pick I can't get the thought to show up. Same for Cop of the Apocalypse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

frajaq posted:

make this the thread title somehow

it's impressive in a way, every skill usually contributes something useful to the conversation but EC is just an infinite bad-decisions generator that whirrs into life anytime someone even tangentially mentions substance abuse

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

it's impressive in a way, every skill usually contributes something useful to the conversation but EC is just an infinite bad-decisions generator that whirrs into life anytime someone even tangentially mentions substance abuse

Volition always being right is a good running joke through the game. Especially as it argues with the other thoughts.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Basileus777 posted:

Volition always being right is a good running joke through the game. Especially as it argues with the other thoughts.

it's also the best argument for ignoring it entirely, fuckin buzzkill

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Davincie posted:

jesus thats strong, some conversations have like a dozen encyclopedia checks

This thought did not work for me, in that it gave neither xp nor real for passive encyclopedia checks.

Maybe a bug, but also maybe they redid the thought itself, because it’s just absurdly the best thought if it did what it says.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

it's also the best argument for ignoring it entirely, fuckin buzzkill

Yeah, but it's the only one not fooled by X. loving drama was useless there. Volition giving poo poo to all of your bedazzled thoughts was real good.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Harrow posted:

Do you remember which actual choice you need to pick? I've done that conversation several times now and no matter what I pick I can't get the thought to show up. Same for Cop of the Apocalypse.

You mean choices in Garte conversation? I literally just now ran through it a few times with random choices to get out of it as quick as I can (didn't even ask him any questions), and had the blue orb show up no matter what. The only time it didn't was when I successfully Savoir Faired my rear end outta there. Then I came back, apologized, left the convo again, and here the blue orb was. It's Encyclopedia that pipes up, and mine's 3, in case that's some hidden passive check.

Other than that, I'm out of guesses. :shrug:

Apocalypse Cop definitely shows up again though, as I didn't take those options once and they keep popping up here and there still. P. sure same should apply to Hobocop also.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I kind of wish I did my first playthrough being a bastard and antagonizing Kim, because now that I've played through as besties with him I'm not sure that I can stomach it. That character is written staggeringly well.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

is finding the badge locked by time? its already the end of day 2 and i still have no clue where it could be.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, Kim's great, and bonding with him feels like my character is making real progress towards becoming a better human being.

So far we've made plans to upgrade his car after solving the case, and he complimented my shoes. Also, sandwich sharing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Greaseman posted:

I kind of wish I did my first playthrough being a bastard and antagonizing Kim, because now that I've played through as besties with him I'm not sure that I can stomach it. That character is written staggeringly well.

if he was too uptight it would have been awful but he's usually willing to go along with your bullshit, and even better, you often can't tell if he's putting up with you out of pragmatism or for his own esoteric amusement

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

the honor cop event is the best event in the game

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Kim doing his best to keep your bitter partner from the 41st from giving you too much poo poo and trying to give positive spins to your negative conclusions is really affirming him as one of the best things that could have happened for your hapless officer.

Roobanguy posted:

is finding the badge locked by time? its already the end of day 2 and i still have no clue where it could be.
You can first find it on day 3, after the water lock is fixed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

frajaq posted:

make this the thread title somehow

oh

well now i'm ashamed of even considering going along with it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hey, it seems to work

can i get a hint on re:badge

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

if he was too uptight it would have been awful but he's usually willing to go along with your bullshit, and even better, you often can't tell if he's putting up with you out of pragmatism or for his own esoteric amusement

I think you meant to say camaraderie.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

hey, it seems to work

can i get a hint on re:badge
A milder hint: a hobo across the water lock has seen you before and can point you in the right direction.

A stronger hint: perhaps the daredevil driver made off with it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oh god it is happening, Rhetoric is saying that the Red Flag must be carried by myself once again (hell yea)

wait

I am dead, GOTY

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay so now I'm out by the boardwalk, can anyone give me a clue on how to enter the Feld building? Need to check that poo poo for crime junk.

Edit: nvm, I got this.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 18, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Hogama posted:

A milder hint: a hobo across the water lock has seen you before and can point you in the right direction.

A stronger hint: perhaps the daredevil driver made off with it.

oh

wait i thought you could get it in the first day

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I still need a hinter about day 4 finding Ruby. I've looked all around the area north of the fishing village but no luck so far.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

I still need a hinter about day 4 finding Ruby. I've looked all around the area north of the fishing village but no luck so far.

Accept the free room.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just got this last night and love it so far, but I have a question regarding the thought cabinet: what is going on with the squiggly white line passing through my thoughts? I can click on a thought to change the path of the line but it doesn't seem to affect whether or not their effects are active. Apologies if this has been asked a lot but I don't want to read the thread for fear of spoilers.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Basileus777 posted:

Accept the free room.

I did. Found the bullet, but then everyone in the village said she went north, and I can't find her anywhere.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got the key to the basement aparment but it doesnt work. im at the backyard or the frontyard to the aparment where the smoke guys live , wtf

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I did. Found the bullet, but then everyone in the village said she went north, and I can't find her anywhere.

You have to be really, really thorough or lucky or have the right build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

Go to the electrical plant. And I hope you have some shiver points.