Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i unfortunately am acquainted with many racehorse people and they're a big reason i'm so suspicious of livestock producers in general when they claim they genuinely love the animals and are motivated by concern for their wellbeing. every single person i've ever spoken to in the industry has claimed to be devoted to and passionate about horses as an animal, they say they live and breathe for horses and the horses are like their children (beef farmers say the same about their cows, sheep farmers about their sheep, greyhound breeders about their dogs) so of course they would never do anything to hurt them and go to great lengths to make sure they all have long, happy, humane lives. i've also seen that as soon as a horse isn't winning, gets too old to race, develops difficult behaviours, or is otherwise impaired in its cash-making potential, this bond mysteriously disappears. they care very deeply and very loudly about their horses right up until the moment it's going to cost them actual money or even just a bit more effort than they're willing to contribute, and then suddenly "they're just animals who cares". i've concluded that they are in fact mostly psychopaths who don't know what love for an animal feels like, so they just assume what they feel for their horses is love when it's actually just greed. the problem is that people believe what they say when they say that they care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

...that said, i do know exactly one man who is as devoted to horses as he says he is, and as a result he has basically become a hoarder of retired racehorses, his own and others, which have destroyed his property and cost him millions of dollars in upkeep. obviously this is also not an ideal solution to the problem, so tbh i don't know what to do about all these loving horses

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
we should eat the horses, op

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

fauna posted:

i unfortunately am acquainted with many racehorse people and they're a big reason i'm so suspicious of livestock producers in general when they claim they genuinely love the animals and are motivated by concern for their wellbeing. every single person i've ever spoken to in the industry has claimed to be devoted to and passionate about horses as an animal, they say they live and breathe for horses and the horses are like their children (beef farmers say the same about their cows, sheep farmers about their sheep, greyhound breeders about their dogs) so of course they would never do anything to hurt them and go to great lengths to make sure they all have long, happy, humane lives. i've also seen that as soon as a horse isn't winning, gets too old to race, develops difficult behaviours, or is otherwise impaired in its cash-making potential, this bond mysteriously disappears. they care very deeply and very loudly about their horses right up until the moment it's going to cost them actual money or even just a bit more effort than they're willing to contribute, and then suddenly "they're just animals who cares". i've concluded that they are in fact mostly psychopaths who don't know what love for an animal feels like, so they just assume what they feel for their horses is love when it's actually just greed. the problem is that people believe what they say when they say that they care.

Similar with greyhound racers. We have two greyhounds adopted from GAP here in Victoria who were ex racers. I follow a few greyhound owner pages on facebook for cute photos but there is inevitably a lot of pro v anti racing arguments on them, with a lot of (presumably) boomers sharing photos of a greyhound racing and going “majestic- beautiful creatures”

Like our problem is with them enjoying running around and not the slaughter of excess dogs (they call them “wasteage” on the books), hurting them, live baiting, poor living conditions etc.

But oh “the racers I know treat their dogs well!” Well the industries solved then I guess!! Idiots.

The worst is when they go “well without greyhound racing their wouldn’t be so many to adopt”- I would be quite happy to live in a world where I can break my “rescue dogs only” rule because there are none to loving rescue you stupid cunts

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

swimsuit posted:

we should eat the horses, op
i actually agree with this (i won't personally eat the horses because horse isn't kosher, but i'm told it's delicious and very popular in the netherlands). but the problem is that industrial slaughterhouses just aren't equipped for horses, especially highly-strung racehorses. they're not great for cattle or sheep or pigs either, but those animals have different needs and different herd dynamics that make them easier to keep calm until the end. horses panic in enclosed spaces, they fight each other, and they're so delicate that they end up with horrible injuries en route to the slaughter. it's terrible

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

If the animal is your source of income you do not and can not love it, and any time or effort you spend on it's "welfare" is actually just trying to maximise your profit. Keeping a racehorse healthy doesn't mean you love it it means you want it to run as fast as possible.

My dad spent part of his youth on a farm and was always pretty blunt about a farmer's actual attitude to their livestock - once you're costing money you're headed for the butcher. Or the mass grave of puppies.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

teacup posted:

Similar with greyhound racers. We have two greyhounds adopted from GAP here in Victoria who were ex racers. I follow a few greyhound owner pages on facebook for cute photos but there is inevitably a lot of pro v anti racing arguments on them, with a lot of (presumably) boomers sharing photos of a greyhound racing and going “majestic- beautiful creatures”

Like our problem is with them enjoying running around and not the slaughter of excess dogs (they call them “wasteage” on the books), hurting them, live baiting, poor living conditions etc.

But oh “the racers I know treat their dogs well!” Well the industries solved then I guess!! Idiots.

The worst is when they go “well without greyhound racing their wouldn’t be so many to adopt”- I would be quite happy to live in a world where I can break my “rescue dogs only” rule because there are none to loving rescue you stupid cunts
:( greyhound racing is just a whole different level of awful. they're dogs ffs. they're basically people

wasn't there a thing a few years back where someone was exposed sending australian "wasteage" overseas to be killed and eaten in dog-meat markets? i'm sort of hoping i hallucinated it

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My brother has an ex racer greyhound, and he’s the best, nicest but a massive sook. That’s because they get basically no positive attention until they are adopted.

There’s also a name for the repeated breaking and scarring of their tails from being in cages with not enough room. I poo poo you not this is referred to as “happy tail”

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
who would win in a race a greyhound or a horse

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Sportsbet.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
my melbourne cup tradition is sitting at my desk at work wearing a horse mask

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

talking to greyhound people always reminds me of the bizarre arguments that would regularly break out between the farm kids and the townies at my high school. the argument was the same every time; it was about shooting dogs. the farm kids had their own odd hierarchy where one's legitimacy as a farmer depended on how hardcore one's dad was, and the hardcore level of a dad was measured by how many of his dogs he shot per year. this was a major beef/lamb/wool region so some of these kids had grown up on massive farms with thousands of stock and dozens of working dogs, and they would brag that their dads shot like twenty dogs a year for underperforming, misbehaving, or just getting old. obviously this upset the townies so they would make a big deal of it just to troll us, but the number of dead dogs was generally legitimate. the weird thing was that the farm kids would then get incredibly upset at any implication that their hardcore dads didn't love their dogs, or that they loved their dogs any less than soft townie dads. the townie argument was that letting an animal survive only on the condition of its profitability, showing it no affection or kindness and then killing it as soon as its ability to work declined, even if it had been a vital part of farm operations for ten years, was in fact not love under any possible interpretation of the word. things would get really heated, because even though killing dogs was this weird status symbol, they also had absorbed the cultural more that a man who doesn't love his dog is in fact a oval office, and were we calling their dad a oval office?! eventually we would end up at the stalemate of "you just don't understand our culture" and things would settle down until the next time the argument happened, which was about once a week

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

a few times some of them even played the "my dad would probably shoot me too if i didn't work, are you saying my dad doesn't love me?" card, and i remember this awkward silence falling upon the group because nobody wanted to answer that question honestly

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

fauna posted:

talking to greyhound people always reminds me of the bizarre arguments that would regularly break out between the farm kids and the townies at my high school. the argument was the same every time; it was about shooting dogs. the farm kids had their own odd hierarchy where one's legitimacy as a farmer depended on how hardcore one's dad was, and the hardcore level of a dad was measured by how many of his dogs he shot per year. this was a major beef/lamb/wool region so some of these kids had grown up on massive farms with thousands of stock and dozens of working dogs, and they would brag that their dads shot like twenty dogs a year for underperforming, misbehaving, or just getting old. obviously this upset the townies so they would make a big deal of it just to troll us, but the number of dead dogs was generally legitimate. the weird thing was that the farm kids would then get incredibly upset at any implication that their hardcore dads didn't love their dogs, or that they loved their dogs any less than soft townie dads. the townie argument was that letting an animal survive only on the condition of its profitability, showing it no affection or kindness and then killing it as soon as its ability to work declined, even if it had been a vital part of farm operations for ten years, was in fact not love under any possible interpretation of the word. things would get really heated, because even though killing dogs was this weird status symbol, they also had absorbed the cultural more that a man who doesn't love his dog is in fact a oval office, and were we calling their dad a oval office?! eventually we would end up at the stalemate of "you just don't understand our culture" and things would settle down until the next time the argument happened, which was about once a week

i'm absolutely going to write a novel using your posts about your hosed up rural upbringing as a massive inspiration and there's nothing you can do about it apart from go back and edit them out of existence before I can copy paste them all in a big word doc but I hope you know that your sheer nihilistic clarity with which you express this poo poo in a depersonalized context is enthralling and i hope I can do it justice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cool everyone loves the boring slice of life Australian drama novel. It will probably win a big Australian novel prize.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i'm absolutely going to write a novel using your posts about your hosed up rural upbringing as a massive inspiration and there's nothing you can do about it apart from go back and edit them out of existence before I can copy paste them all in a big word doc but I hope you know that your sheer nihilistic clarity with which you express this poo poo in a depersonalized context is enthralling and i hope I can do it justice
haha thank you, i definitely post too much so it's nice to know it's not ruining your forums experience, i hope you get lots of complaints about the dog-shooting thing

the sheer brutality of farmers always amazed me because they'd defend it as if it was the only thing standing between their families and starvation, but like... this is australia, farming sheep in australia has never been a struggle between life and death, there really is no need to take it quite so far

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

And then it will win a prize for the movie with Bryan Brown and that same old lady in it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

Cool everyone loves the boring slice of life Australian drama novel. It will probably win a big Australian novel prize.

if I'm really luckily it'll immediately get optioned into a movie nobody ever sees starring melissa george Bryan Brown and i can take up cocaine once a month

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

And then it will win a prize for the movie with Bryan Brown and that same old lady in it.

gently caress thats a way better joke than melissa george

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Red Dog 3: Dead Dog

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

cohsae posted:

The greatest depiction of horseracing "culture" is in Kenny where all the girls are giving him grief about cleaning toilets for a living and then it cuts to them squatting in the car park in their cocktail dresses.

This

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
bring back chariot racing

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

fauna posted:

so tbh i don't know what to do about all these loving horses

Jerky mate I heard it's pretty chewy

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Bernstrike posted:

bring back chariot racing
it's called harness racing and it may actually have even more psychopaths than the other sort

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
our hosed up rural relatives love the trots

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
did we decide if farmers are working class yet

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Farmers are landed peasants they're pre-industrial age workers.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
what if they have slaves

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
avs how many dogs was the minimum requirement for hardcore status

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Then they're peasants with slaves.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fauna posted:

it's called harness racing and it may actually have even more psychopaths than the other sort

Yah, someone who looks at horses running and says "You know what would make this better? Tying their legs together, gently caress yeah lets do this."

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

swimsuit posted:

avs how many dogs was the minimum requirement for hardcore status
about five, any less than that was just standard wasteage

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

fauna posted:

yeah drat I miss living in central west nsw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Honestly Avs posts are some of the ones I look forward to the most

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Is watching violence harmful to the watcher?
I want to know where you're coming from with this

i just find it baffling that The Terminator is MA rated or whatever when it airs on telly but hey here is two blokes actually beating the poo poo out of each other and because its sport we can put it on in the middle of the afternoon news.

Fake punches in a fake universe in a movie or game: bad, not good. not allowed.

real punches glamorized, rewarded, shown as great achievement you should strive to be like: totally fine. ladbrokes!

and yeah, video games dont inherently promote violence, but impressionable people who dont have proper parents (re: vidjas and kids) or are socially maladjusted (such as roided up gym freaks with fragile egos in a world of toxic masculinity) seeing MMA as a sport is a great way to end up with a bunch of assholes king hitting people on a night out in the city.

wait..

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

fauna posted:

Depends. Are we giving them spears to prod other racers with.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Honestly Avs posts are some of the ones I look forward to the most

if we could replace every JBP post with an Avs post this thread and the world would be a better place

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Remember, my son. It's a dog eats dog world.

*shoots dog*

The only way to stop the barking is through direct a action.

*shoots self*

Fatheeeeerrrrrr

Mom: Now you own the farm.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i don't want to be rid of jbp because his insights on the meat industry are excellent, i just wish there was some way we could give him electric shocks through the internet when he misbehaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I represent the lurkers or as I call them "the quiet posters" of this thread