Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

Marines are second only to cops for blind loyalty.

Marines and cops will both place racism over loyalty to their respective professions 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Wilhelm posted:

did you browse this subforum back in the 2016 election? needless to say up until the election the population of D&D was feeling pretty cozy with its figures and projections

Everyone was you rear end in a top hat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Those are the highest numbers I've seen yet. 58% is approaching dangerous territory for Trump.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Marines and cops will both place racism over loyalty to their respective professions 100% of the time.

This is probably also true, especially of police

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those are the highest numbers I've seen yet. 58% is approaching dangerous territory for Trump.

Committing crimes on tv and selling out USA allies to genocide and we’re getting near to the point where something might happen

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wilhelm posted:

did you browse this subforum back in the 2016 election? needless to say up until the election the population of D&D was feeling pretty cozy with its figures and projections

sure and i may be wrong but i am just saying what i think. if trump wins we are in way deeper poo poo as a country than even the "doomsayers' are allegedly saying.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lucania posted:

I stayed at Ft. Bragg a few times in the past couple of years and I remember seeing Mattis stickers on cars there. It was odd, that was the only general that I saw that had them.

There was also a person with a Hillary 2016/Michelle 2024/Chelsea 2032/Sasha 2040/Malia 2048 sticker who I was surprised had no damage done to the car.

I think this is worse then those Donnie 2020, Donnie FaillSon 2024/2028, failson #2 , daughter he fucks, wife #2872437823487 memes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fart Amplifier posted:

Committing crimes on tv and selling out USA allies to genocide and we’re getting near to the point where something might happen

It's a very dumb system

We should have just made a parliament

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1185043740106215424

Glad the President can just do this unilaterally from a toilet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RandomBlue posted:

what the gently caress?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/whstancil/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Which countries helping behind the scenes? :thunk:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RandomBlue posted:

Follow up:

The gently caress?!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wilhelm posted:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lucania posted:

I stayed at Ft. Bragg a few times in the past couple of years and I remember seeing Mattis stickers on cars there. It was odd, that was the only general that I saw that had them.

There was also a person with a Hillary 2016/Michelle 2024/Chelsea 2032/Sasha 2040/Malia 2048 sticker who I was surprised had no damage done to the car.

That was Mattis' car.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
why are we tarriffing the eu

is it Renaults? Is it because Trump doesn't understand how cars are made now and no one can stop him from doing the dumbest poo poo?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RandomBlue posted:

It's the result of a WTO ruling about a long-running case involving Airbus and Boeing so it's not really the same as Trump's knee-jerk poo poo.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack

ImpAtom posted:

I served in the Marines. I was a shitbird of a Marine and did all sorts of disobeys.
Got in some trouble.
Had lots of laughs with the others who did all sorts of disobeys.
Looking back, I did experience one acute event involving racism.
But we smoked some weed and went on with our duties.

Good times.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ShuckyDucky posted:

I served in the Marines. I was a shitbird of a Marine and did all sorts of disobeys.
Got in some trouble.
Had lots of laughs with the others who did all sorts of disobeys.
Looking back, I did experience one acute event involving racism.
But we smoked some weed and went on with our duties.

Good times.

Thanks for sharing, shuckyducky.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's the result of a WTO ruling about a long-running case involving Airbus and Boeing so it's not really the same as Trump's knee-jerk poo poo.

Maybe, but it looks like Aircraft will be getting a 10% tariff and things like cheese and whisky will be getting a 25%, so it's probably going to land a lot harder on normal people then it is anybody else. Some time ago Trump was talking about putting a 100% tariff on cheese, olive oil, wines. I have no idea if this is what he was talking about and he was just confused about the amount and the process, or if he's going to keep on with his plan to add a 100% tariff to food.

Because there is no idea better then jacking up the price of staples and modest luxury foods for no reason.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

I mean, he didn't. These are compensatory tariffs awarded by the WTO as a result of arbitration over Airbus subsidies.

It's still dumb for lot's of reasons but this was a long time coming, and WTO involvement dates back to at least 2011.

e:f;b

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Mattis was too busy stroking his hard-on for profiting off imprisoned brown children to give a poo poo what Trump was doing. He's laughing at Trump and shrugging off Trump's criticism because the taxpayers he had a duty to are asking him why he didn't do the right thing while he sleeps on a pile of their money.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My wife works for a wine distribution company and I'm not sure how airbus has anything to do with the massive tarriffs there were just put on huge portions of their European portfolio. Her whole industry is freaking out right now. What's weirder is that what is and isn't included doesn't make any sense to any analysts in any part of her company. It's totally random poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Throwing Turtles posted:

Maybe, but it looks like Aircraft will be getting a 10% tariff and things like cheese and whisky will be getting a 25%, so it's probably going to land a lot harder on normal people then it is anybody else. Some time ago Trump was talking about putting a 100% tariff on cheese, olive oil, wines. I have no idea if this is what he was talking about and he was just confused about the amount and the process, or if he's going to keep on with his plan to add a 100% tariff to food.

Because there is no idea better then jacking up the price of staples and modest luxury foods for no reason.

He started talking about tariffs, then free-associated because he was hungry.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1184632593700048896

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I know people are all dug in but if there's any op/ed that might influence someone, or at least shut up some obnoxious MAGA right winger, it's this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/17/opinion/trump-mcraven-syria-military.html

Written by the former commander of US Special Forces, ADM McRaven.

ADM McRaven posted:

Our Republic Is Under Attack From the President

If President Trump doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office.

By William H. McRaven

Admiral McRaven is a former commander of the United States Special Operations Command.

Oct. 17, 2019

These men and women, of all political persuasions, have seen the assaults on our institutions: on the intelligence and law enforcement community, the State Department and the press. They have seen our leaders stand beside despots and strongmen, preferring their government narrative to our own. They have seen us abandon our allies and have heard the shouts of betrayal from the battlefield. As I stood on the parade field at Fort Bragg, one retired four-star general, grabbed my arm, shook me and shouted, “I don’t like the Democrats, but Trump is destroying the Republic!”

Those words echoed with me throughout the week. It is easy to destroy an organization if you have no appreciation for what makes that organization great. We are not the most powerful nation in the world because of our aircraft carriers, our economy, or our seat at the United Nations Security Council. We are the most powerful nation in the world because we try to be the good guys. We are the most powerful nation in the world because our ideals of universal freedom and equality have been backed up by our belief that we were champions of justice, the protectors of the less fortunate.

But, if we don’t care about our values, if we don’t care about duty and honor, if we don’t help the weak and stand up against oppression and injustice — what will happen to the Kurds, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Syrians, the Rohingyas, the South Sudanese and the millions of people under the boot of tyranny or left abandoned by their failing states?

If our promises are meaningless, how will our allies ever trust us? If we can’t have faith in our nation’s principles, why would the men and women of this nation join the military? And if they don’t join, who will protect us? If we are not the champions of the good and the right, then who will follow us? And if no one follows us — where will the world end up?

President Trump seems to believe that these qualities are unimportant or show weakness. He is wrong. These are the virtues that have sustained this nation for the past 243 years. If we hope to continue to lead the world and inspire a new generation of young men and women to our cause, then we must embrace these values now more than ever.

And if this president doesn’t understand their importance, if this president doesn’t demonstrate the leadership that America needs, both domestically and abroad, then it is time for a new person in the Oval Office — Republican, Democrat or independent — the sooner, the better. The fate of our Republic depends upon it.

(more at the link)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The former commander of US Special Forces appealing to 'helping the weak and standing up against oppression and injustice' makes me sick. What the gently caress did McRaven think he was doing exactly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

The former commander of US Special Forces appealing to 'helping the weak and standing up against oppression and injustice' makes me sick. What the gently caress did McRaven think he was doing exactly

Appealing to meritocracy.

:laugh:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Calibanibal posted:

There is an argument that can be made that at least a few of America’s international actions were for the good of some marginalized group beset by tyrannical murderous warlords

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Calibanibal posted:

Hey, not all the special forces are SEALs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Stereotype posted:

There is an argument that can be made that at least a few of America’s international actions were for the good of some marginalized group beset by tyrannical murderous warlords

Sure, it was so we could get the natural resources for cheaper and sure, we put like half of those warlords in power 20 years before that, but we were totally trying to help.

I think our intervention in Kosovo was mostly ok, but I'm probably going to get told why that's wrong.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yeah virginia is totally going to flip

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It goes without saying if you were basing it all on economic indicators, which all 3 of Moody's are, Trump would be the projected winner. Didn't work out in midterms and I don't think it will in a year either.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
arent the midterms kind of meanginless in terms of projecting? i thought the incumbent party loses quite a lot

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

goddamn it

just found out cummings was only 68

trump on the other hand, will live to be a thousand

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

cargo cult posted:

arent the midterms kind of meanginless in terms of projecting? i thought the incumbent party loses quite a lot

They typically do, but this was one of the largest swings, and the trend hasn't changed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

Marines are second only to cops for blind loyalty.

Muscles are required, intelligence not expected.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Calibanibal posted:

Something a lot of people don't realize is that some branches of SF exist almost entirely as liaisons to bolster local forces by providing counsel, training, experience, ability to request american air support on the fly, etc.. Even those that operate more independently still get a huge amount of their actionable intel from locals that they build relationships with and depend day to day on local allies for security and other daily needs. Eliminating their ability to work with locals through diplomatic and political blunders (though that doesn't feel like a remotely strong enough word) puts them really badly in harms way.

And yeah then there's SEALS who are famous for loving it all up by trying to do some entirely unnecessary stupid cowboy poo poo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 18, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I don't really think a mall dying in Ohio is any different than all of the malls dying nationwide. This is like claiming that Ohio is experiencing abnormal inflation because the chili spaghetti at Frisch's is more expensive than it was 20 years ago.

I was relating a personal anecdote about how severely economic are activity in the area dried up in the wake of the Great Recession. And it is kind of relevant because Chapel Hill Mall is only about 10 miles away from the infamous Rolling Acres Mall, the mall that became basically the simple of dying malls in the Midwest. ( also a place I spent thousands of happy hours of my childhood/teenage years goofing around in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_8jLBX-2k

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Something a lot of people don't realize is that some branches of SF exist almost entirely as liaisons to bolster local forces by providing counsel, training, experience, ability to request american air support on the fly, etc.. Even those that operate more independently still get a huge amount of their actionable intel from locals that they build relationships with and depend day to day on local allies for security and other daily needs. Eliminating their ability to work with locals through diplomatic and political blunders (though that doesn't feel like a remotely strong enough word) puts them really badly in harms way.

This was even more the point of the betrayal than the pretty minor gain of influence over northern Syria. The foreign leaders yanking Trump around want the US to look untrustworthy and want us to have a difficult time finding local help in military campaigns. They want us to be villains and Trump is all to happy to do that because he is a demented sociopath and doesn’t understand any of that. He and Republicans are allowing the US to fall from our status as a world leader in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That's based on a poo poo model that was wrong in 2016 and proceeded to change its modus operandi to only consider economic growth/job approval. It was initially posted by Washington Examiner, which might as well be Breitbart.

Do you jump at every mouse you see?