Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the 90s kid in king arthurs court movie is the ultimate isekai because it features a scene where the kid teaches the princess that bad means good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Gulliver's travels? Il Milione? The naked sun? Futurama?
John Carter.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In today's Bookworm, I was surprised to find that crochet wasn't invented until the 19th century so she coming up with the idea actually makes sense. I'm not sure if I buy her inventing pancakes though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fangz posted:

In today's Bookworm, I was surprised to find that crochet wasn't invented until the 19th century so she coming up with the idea actually makes sense. I'm not sure if I buy her inventing pancakes though.

Yeah that's weird as pancakes are 30,000 years old

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Average Isekai would be a pretty great show any other season but there's so many good isekai this season if feels pretty average, ironically.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Genzo dunking on anyone that dares be mean to animals will never get old. It's so loving good. So is the entire show actually.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i wanted to like average abilities but it mostly feels like a worse Endro so far, too many unfunny gags dragging it down

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wish After School Dice Club was better. It's not bad, but I wish it was better than it is

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The fact Dice Club is more explaining games and not leaning into the games being played is kinda of just making the show meh

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fangz posted:

I kinda dislike this criticism of isekais. By that token, someone from a parallel earth could come to our world and trash talk it about how unrealistic it is that we didn't have crocheting (on their world a well-documented 3000-year old practice) until recently while also going "yeah we didn't think of pancakes until a hundred years ago so I can believe it". It's not like earth historically has very optimized technological progression, and I can believe that a world with magic and different politics would have a pretty different tech tree altogether. Sure, I guess it's unrealistic that she keeps finding everything that hasn't been invented yet, but I'm okay with coincidences that give her more objectives to accomplish.

Not to mention that even accounting for the entire country that Maine lives in, she still only has a very localized experience of that world; who's to say that the equivalent of China in that world doesn't already have plant-based paper, much like how actual China had it long before Europe?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hey - Babylon is a fire show, easily the best of the four or so police or detective series this season. The first 3 eps are on Prime all at once for whatever reason.

It’s a really slick detective story that seems pretty grounded while being presented in a cool way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Argue posted:

I kinda dislike this criticism of isekais. By that token, someone from a parallel earth could come to our world and trash talk it about how unrealistic it is that we didn't have crocheting (on their world a well-documented 3000-year old practice) until recently while also going "yeah we didn't think of pancakes until a hundred years ago so I can believe it". It's not like earth historically has very optimized technological progression, and I can believe that a world with magic and different politics would have a pretty different tech tree altogether. Sure, I guess it's unrealistic that she keeps finding everything that hasn't been invented yet, but I'm okay with coincidences that give her more objectives to accomplish.

Not to mention that even accounting for the entire country that Maine lives in, she still only has a very localized experience of that world; who's to say that the equivalent of China in that world doesn't already have plant-based paper, much like how actual China had it long before Europe?
Honestly bookworm's world doesn't make a whole lot of logistical sense (densely urban population centers with little to no reading is weird though not impossible), but that isn't super important for the story. It does also mostly side step the problem of say Choyoyu does, where it assumes people only live in a medieval society because they're stupid and by extension assumes all people in the past were stupid except for special visionaries who pushed society forward. Instead it's just giving higher value to the protagonist's specialized knowledge/interests. Which is the heart of dad-fantasy alt-history stuff, your interest in distilling and accounting saves Rome, your interest in trains propels Russia into the world's leading super power in the 1400s, etc.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

They posted the OP and ED for Beastars ahead of tomorrow's episode if you don't want to wait.

OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9dJB_icw

Dang! Kinda sad the whole show isn't done in this style now, haha.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The fact Dice Club is more explaining games and not leaning into the games being played is kinda of just making the show meh

ImoSae did it better.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

Which is the heart of dad-fantasy alt-history stuff, your interest in distilling and accounting saves Rome, your interest in trains propels Russia into the world's leading super power in the 1400s, etc.

Are these actual isekais because I'd like to read them

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Dice Club update: Still okay. Best girl shows up in episode 3. Looks like episode 4 is going to cover chapters that haven't been translated yet.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Good thing I check the ADTRW thread list every so often or else I would have missed the newest thread:

quote:

Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2
MAPPA | Yui Umemoto | Kiyoko Yoshimura | Adventure, Fantasy | Game | Oct 5, 2019
Second season of Granblue Fantasy The Animation.
PV
Thread

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Just caught up on the Beastars and No Guns Life premieres, they were both fantastic.

First episode of Babylon felt like a very middle-of-the-road production in all aspects, with no aspect really standing out much about it.

Bookworm episode 3 continued to be really sweet. 20 minutes of this per week just isn't enough.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 17, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

esselfortium posted:

First episode of Babylon felt like a very middle-of-the-road production in all aspects, with no aspect really standing out much about it.

They released the first 3 eps at at once, probably in part because the second and third eps do a much better job of selling the show than the first episode does.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
episode 2 also has some very inspired layouts in it so i recommend watching at least that one

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Stars Align continues to be an extremely solid show.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Argue posted:

Are these actual isekais because I'd like to read them
The distilling and accounting one is Lest Darkness Fall, more or less the first isekai alternate history novel. The Russian trains one is a novel I had heard about second hand from Russian friends and apparently has no English version.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yall read too many isekais

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
ive never read an isekai but thats because i cant read

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Dang! Kinda sad the whole show isn't done in this style now, haha.

Stop-motion anime is very time-intensive and expensive to make compared to regular animation, though it looks fantastic when done right. I'm frankly impressed they put together a full 90-second OP using it, and I'm curious as to if it was done by the same studio that made Rilakkuma and Kaoru. The modelwork looks very similar to their aesthetic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's a fair amount of stop motion anime out there! just gets 0 attention in the west

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Fantastic Mr. Fox is anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fantastic mr. fox was a hell of a movie

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

there's a fair amount of stop motion anime out there! just gets 0 attention in the west

Bad Apple.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

fantastic mr. fox was a cuss of a movie

:colbert:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

No Guns Life moving things along, even if the love-tap knockout was a bit anticlimactic until they explained the sub-brain.

"I gotta stop taking bullets just to look cool."

The sub-plot about cigarettes was a great single-episode payoff.

Didn't watch the outro until now. Just noticed the Unreal Engine logo which is obviously how they're doing the CG backgrounds so well.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A plethora of poo poo CGI would be fixed with better engines like Unreal, I just realized.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just watched the BEASTARS OP and it did not disappoint.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atpyjjgBhCA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rilakkuma and Kaoru is a good show and you should all watch it :colbert:.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stop-motion anime is very time-intensive and expensive to make compared to regular animation, though it looks fantastic when done right. I'm frankly impressed they put together a full 90-second OP using it, and I'm curious as to if it was done by the same studio that made Rilakkuma and Kaoru. The modelwork looks very similar to their aesthetic.

Oh for sure, I was just very impressed with it. :v: If anime-twitter is to be believed the OP was animated by Dwarf Studio, who are the same people working on Rilakkuma and Kaoru!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

The Russian trains one is a novel I had heard about second hand from Russian friends and apparently has no English version.

I know a Russian nerd or two, do you think you'd be able to get the title?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Stars Align is crazy good. The consistency and quality of the animation in particular is really impressive. I think there's some CG in the distant crowd shots, but even there it does a pretty good job of hiding it.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sindai posted:

Stars Align is crazy good. The consistency and quality of the animation in particular is really impressive. I think there's some CG in the distant crowd shots, but even there it does a pretty good job of hiding it.

Just watch the second episode, it's really solid so far. It also has an ED with the cast dancing along to the song, which is an automatic grade bump in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Successful Businessmanga posted:

Oh for sure, I was just very impressed with it. :v: If anime-twitter is to be believed the OP was animated by Dwarf Studio, who are the same people working on Rilakkuma and Kaoru!

Huh, there you go! :eyepop: