Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bryan is on Marko's payroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Every time I hear about Dave’s brother I think about how Dave didn’t get to main event his dad’s funeral

that was his brother who is like a prop comedian for corporate presentations, this was his brother-in-law who i don't know if we know anything about

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MRT said brother and Dave has more of a record for being wrong about things, so I know who I believe

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Thank you for your faith and trust.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are you gonna correct the record or what

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

In a rare instance, I thought Dave was being hyperbolic and I found myself agreeing more with Bryan, re: AEW stars being "actually over" or just "live over".

Anyone who is watching Dynamite can tell from the presentation and the crowd reaction who the stars are. Darby and Marko got made last night.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i get dave's criteria, as he's talking about the general public outside of wrestling. the problem with his argument is that the list of "recent wrestlers with recognition outside of wrestling" is incredibly short, and pretty much no regular in wwe meets that criteria either. that, and i'm not sure the definition of "over" is having recognition outside of wrestling anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

are you gonna correct the record or what

I trust that Dave would never introduce a new "brother in law" character without properly establishing him first.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If someone, like a hypothetically steroid-addled weirdo named Shave Seltzer, married their sister their brother and brother in law would be the same person

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have receipts PROVING that mrt knows the anecdote is in reference to daves brother in law but i will give him another chance to correct the record before putting him on blast

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i call him dumbass dave

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Get his rear end

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
dave is pissy on WOR and it's a real great listen

"I don't like stupid wrestlers that don't pay attention to history"

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Classic WO lying:

(after Dave first speaking was un listenable, he moved and fixed it)

Jim Valley "don't worry, I'll edit it out"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Fumi Saito on the genesis of women's wrestling in Japan in the 50s: "There was a war, you know."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

i get dave's criteria, as he's talking about the general public outside of wrestling. the problem with his argument is that the list of "recent wrestlers with recognition outside of wrestling" is incredibly short, and pretty much no regular in wwe meets that criteria either. that, and i'm not sure the definition of "over" is having recognition outside of wrestling anymore.

I think the big one that does fit Dave's point is Omega, honestly. They're starting to turn it around with this Moxley angle, but the losing streak thing did take a good bit of the shine off him. Especially because it's not like he was working a ton of indie dates (and I know it's because he has office duties at AEW, but still) to keep him fresh in the core audience's mind.

Cody's been incredibly smart, honestly (shows the Rhodes in him) in booking himself strong, but using enough sleight of hand that people think he's not booking himself as one of the headline stars. (And that's not shade, he SHOULD be one of the top guys)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i saw the receipts and what mrt is doing is unconscionable

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bryan getting increasingly frustrated at people who say AEW should sign Bischoff on Observer Live is quite funny.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

I think the big one that does fit Dave's point is Omega, honestly. They're starting to turn it around with this Moxley angle, but the losing streak thing did take a good bit of the shine off him. Especially because it's not like he was working a ton of indie dates (and I know it's because he has office duties at AEW, but still) to keep him fresh in the core audience's mind.

Agreed but all it takes is a couple matches for Omega’s star talent to shine through. Between the dark match and the match last night my brothers (who knew he was good but hadn’t seen much of him) think he’s the best wrestler on the roster.

I think the thing Dave was most correct about was the dark matches. They need to recap those things on the TV show and direct people to the YouTube / show highlights. They’re doing good storytelling on those things.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like how in aew the top guys have different power levels in front of different crowds all the time. it's not just "gently caress this one guy who is getting pushed too much, we all want the other guy." it's a much more engrossing situation when one week cody got the biggest pops and then moxley gets the biggest pop and then on another show omega dwarfs everyone's. it's like back when people would argue over who was a bigger deal between austin and the rock as they were both happening. i didn't see this was the podcast thread. shari's berries

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

frankenfreak posted:

Fumi Saito on the genesis of women's wrestling in Japan in the 50s: "There was a war, you know."

lmao

fumi is the best

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bryan and Vinny are lost on me when they think Ortiz shouting THE BEST was a botch and took away from the promo. Just no.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lmao at the guy saying cody booking himself as a top guy is subtle

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lid posted:

Bryan and Vinny are lost on me when they think Ortiz shouting THE BEST was a botch and took away from the promo. Just no.

dave also did not like it. starting my stalker twitter account as we speak

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Lmao at the guy saying cody booking himself as a top guy is subtle

Hey, I actually don't think it's that subtle but 75% of people in the AEW thread talk how he's so humble to book himself in the opener or middle of the card.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, I actually don't think it's that subtle but 75% of people in the AEW thread talk how he's so humble to book himself in the opener or middle of the card.

we really need a good gif of a heel tapping their head to indicate how smart they are for occasions such as this, the eddie murphy one is not RASSLIN' enough

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hmm

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i love that bryan wants to put marko over all the time while keeping kayfabe about hating his guts

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Lid posted:

Bryan and THE BEST Vinny are lost on me THE BEST when they think Ortiz THE BEST shouting THE BEST was a botch and THE BEST took away from the THE BEST promo. Just no. THE BEST

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Lol Bryan doesn't get Nuyoricans

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nor do I, what are they?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nor do I, what are they?

EYFBO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nor do I, what are they?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuyorican

Nuyorican is a portmanteau of the terms "New York" and "Puerto Rican" and refers to the members or culture of the Puerto Rican diaspora located in or around New York City, or of their descendants (especially those raised or still living in the New York area). This term could be used for Puerto Ricans living in other areas in the Northeast outside New York State. The term is also used by Islander Puerto Ricans (Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico) to differentiate those of Puerto Rican descent from the Puerto Rico–born.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

one time i was in a public speaking course and a puerto rican woman did a presentation about how nuyoricans aren't real puerto ricans. in retrospect this was a pretty weird thing to do

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Super No Vacancy posted:

one time i was in a public speaking course and a puerto rican woman did a presentation about how nuyoricans aren't real puerto ricans. in retrospect this was a pretty weird thing to do

when i still lived in chicago i was out on a stoop watching the puerto rican pride day festivities (lots of flags, fireworks, and hanging out of open minivan doors, often simultaneously) and a friend was telling me that when his band went on tour they did a PR date and a lot of people there fuckin hate second-third-etc-gen puerto ricans in the states. said he was told it was like PR's version of white trash.

anecdotal information so ymmv

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can't really think of any ethnic grouping that doesn't have fraught relations with its diaspora.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

i love that bryan wants to put marko over all the time while keeping kayfabe about hating his guts

I came here to post this as well. Going to bat for him yet slipping in that "I hate the guy too" was :discourse:

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

We're going to do a live AAA simulcast watch along tonight at 6 pm PT/9 PM et at https://twitch.tv/rudospodcast come join us to watch lucha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Listened to the latest JCE cause it had him talking about the HiaC finish on it but sadly it wasn't as savage as I had hoped.