Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Freezer posted:

It's a new world now, a Trump world. Anything can happen.

Trump is more likely to kick out the Baltics than Turkey, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
NATO is powerless about Turkey because you should never get involved in a land war in Asia Minor.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The reason Trump backstabbed the Kurds is that this way Erdogan can make a safe border and make the Kurds pay for it.

Orange Devil posted:

Trump is more likely to kick out the Baltics than Turkey, imo.

Don't forget about the "very aggressive" Montenegrins!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you kick Turkey out of NATO what's the point of it? It was set-up to limit Russian influence so if you let Russia leak through Turkey into the ME then the whole things bust. Maybe it's too late anyway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

It would be nice to have hard numbers. Without them however we can still use less reliable kinds of evidence to make loose inferences. Your statement was not consistent with the best attempts to estimate hard numbers or with what else is known about the Syrian civil war.

If you don’t think it is possible to make reasonable estimates of the number and cause of civilian casualties then you should have just kept quiet, rather than make baseless claims.

I like how the thing that has happened in literally every civil war since the dawn of mankind is now some weird baseless claim that must be assumed false. Guess it must be weird to live in some kind of eternal now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Flayer posted:

If you kick Turkey out of NATO what's the point of it? It was set-up to limit Russian influence so if you let Russia leak through Turkey into the ME then the whole things bust. Maybe it's too late anyway.

NATO does still have some value for keeping Russia from rolling into the Baltics. On the other hand, I'm not seeing much evidence that Turkey is interested in doing anything in service of NATO's goals.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

NATO does still have some value for keeping Russia from rolling into the Baltics. On the other hand, I'm not seeing much evidence that Turkey is interested in doing anything in service of NATO's goals.

Baltics or Balkans?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SimonCat posted:

Baltics or Balkans?

Baltics, of course.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1185173924155404288

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1185198357788135426

https://twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1185187331650850819

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1185147861589266433

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 18, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That was such a poo poo letter, every time I've read it I can't believe how dumb it is.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Squalid posted:

Actually the USA is not allied with IS. Little bit of trivia here, but in fact the US has spent the last five years waging a brutal war that has killed tens of thousand of IS soldiers and cost billions of dollars. THE MORE YOU KNOW!!!
You should look up who some of those "Turkish proxies" are and where they come from

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Flayer posted:

That was such a poo poo letter, every time I've read it I can't believe how dumb it is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1185184801814396930

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
That's a pretty good and well deserved burn.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

I like how the thing that has happened in literally every civil war since the dawn of mankind is now some weird baseless claim that must be assumed false. Guess it must be weird to live in some kind of eternal now.

look there's nothing wrong with being mistaken sometimes. However if you're wrong you need to learn to be able to accept it and move on. Getting indignant like this isn't going to change what we know.

Bob le Moche posted:

You should look up who some of those "Turkish proxies" are and where they come from

I really don't know why I feel compelled to respond to this. While I am speaking in terms of observable reality, I can tell when you make a statement that suggests the USA is allied to IS, you don't mean it LITERALLY. You are instead talking about higher truths. As a materialist I've always had a hard time understanding this kind of perspective. When people like you talk about issues through the lens of what is spiritual, moral, and metaphysical it always comes across as strange and foreign. I don't think you believe you are lying, but I will always have a hard time distinguishing those who believe in this kind of emotional logic from those who do mean to lie.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

Squalid posted:

I really don't know why I feel compelled to respond to this. While I am speaking in terms of observable reality, I can tell when you make a statement that suggests the USA is allied to IS, you don't mean it LITERALLY. You are instead talking about higher truths. As a materialist I've always had a hard time understanding this kind of perspective. When people like you talk about issues through the lens of what is spiritual, moral, and metaphysical it always comes across as strange and foreign. I don't think you believe you are lying, but I will always have a hard time distinguishing those who believe in this kind of emotional logic from those who do mean to lie.

I don't give a poo poo about "higher truths". I'm talking about the observable material reality of the US military getting out of the way of, and facilitating the actions of, ISIS and ex-ISIS fighters on their way to commit genocide in Northern Syria / Kurdistan. It's the US government itself (and other NATO members) who is calling these people their allies.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Big protests across Lebanon today (and in Beirut, yesterday evening as well). Hard to say how it will play out, although typically for Lebanon I would expect it to fizzle out by Monday, but you never know. Protests are nominally against the proposed WhatsApp tax of $6/month (holy poo poo that's a huge tax) although there's a lot underlying it, like corruption (and perception of corruption), the tenuous peg of the LBP to the USD, youth unemployment, etc. Today was a day off in most (all?) of the country for schools and many offices due to the start of the protests last night. Everything seems more or less good natured now, although I was watching MTV (Lebanon, not the American MTV) and the protests in Hawraa looked to be more serious. I heard some shops in Beirut got smashed up last night, but not sure exactly where -- whether it was the high-end shopping near Nejmeh Square / Parliament, or at other major intersections.

Also it's better for one's mental health to not reply to Bob, FYI.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

I don't give a poo poo about "higher truths". I'm talking about the observable material reality of the US military getting out of the way of, and facilitating the actions of, ISIS and ex-ISIS fighters on their way to commit genocide in Northern Syria / Kurdistan. It's the US government itself (and other NATO members) who is calling these people their allies.

If you have a problem with those who will work with ex-IS I have bad news regarding where the SDF and Syrian Arab Army have been getting new recruits as they've occupied more territory

there's also a thing where you are equating organizationally distinct salafi militant groups with IS. Obviously you know this is not logically true but I'm sure it FEELS real to you.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Squalid posted:

If you have a problem with those who will work with ex-IS I have bad news regarding where the SDF and Syrian Arab Army have been getting new recruits as they've occupied more territory

there's also a thing where you are equating organizationally distinct salafi militant groups with IS. Obviously you know this is not logically true but I'm sure it FEELS real to you.
Looks like it didn't take too long for what I said to happen

Bob le Moche posted:

If this deal happens, watch as this thread drops any pretense that it ever gave a poo poo about the Kurds in the first place

https://twitter.com/FoundationKevok/status/1185188998811181057

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Bob le Moche posted:

Looks like it didn't take too long for what I said to happen

wow we've got a real Nostradamus on our hands here.

I admit I can find it frustrating at times when you or other people come into a thread to post ecstatic truths or to practice rhetoric. I guess I just have a different purpose. I like talking about these issues so I can learn new things and share information. So when you make statements that make a false equivocation between IS, "ISIS Groups"(what does that mean?) and HTS I find it distracting and confusing. I feel like I can't engage with you when you make statements that make no logical sense based on a common sense understanding, and which you will simply redefine to mean something else if pressed. What is the point of such exercises? Are you just here to practice rhetoric? Do you even want people to respond or do you just want these posts to go out and disappear quietly into the void of the internet?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

Squalid posted:

I admit I can find it frustrating at times when you or other people come into a thread to post ecstatic truths or to practice rhetoric. I guess I just have a different purpose. I like talking about these issues so I can learn new things and share information.
I come in threads like this one to share relevant information and immediately get labeled a "tankie" because I refuse to genuflect to the consensus that "US intervention = good", which apparently is a prerequisite before you're allowed to say anything on any topic.
I've backed up the information I shared here with source references and research, wich is more than 99% of the shitposting in this thread, as in this post:

Bob le Moche posted:

The YPG was never allowed to have access to anti-tank and anti-air weapons the would need to defend against an invasion by Turkey. The US promised Turkey it would never happen. It was always an alliance of circumstance, and the plan was to let Turkey run over them when they stopped being useful to US interests.

The high tech weaponry that Turkey relies on for their invasion are supplied by Germany, the UK, France, etc. The gunships, tanks, etc are continuously maintained, inspected, repaired, replaced, by military contractors from America, Germany, the UK, Italy, etc.

Turkey's military is the second-largest in NATO. It guards the Eastern borders of Europe. The EU relies on the violence of Turkey's police and security forces to halt refugees fleeing Middle Eastern wars from making it to Europe. It is paid millions of Euros for this.

PKK was added to NATO's list of terrorist orgs at Turkey's demand, just as the PKK was attempting to enter into peace negotiations. The PKK is not listed as a terror org by the UN, China, Switzerland, etc.
But all it takes is a couple manipulative bad-faith actors to dismiss someone as an "assadist putin bot" or whatever for their perspective to be automatically rejected as siding with the enemy.
Never mind that now everyone is talking about Turkey's membership in NATO. When I tried bringing it up as something relevant it was just proof of my posting "ecstatic truths" or whatever else your problem with me is.

Squalid posted:

What is the point of such exercises? Are you just here to practice rhetoric? Do you even want people to respond or do you just want these posts to go out and disappear quietly into the void of the internet?

Bob le Moche posted:

I want the violence to stop. I want people to stop giving a blank check to their governments for doing whatever the gently caress they want all over the world and to start offering some resistance.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's not why people are calling you a tankie, tankie.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if only the american citizenry had had the moral fortitude to stand up years ago and demand we let Turkey ethnically cleanse the Syrian Kurds, the violence in Rojava would be over by now

thank god for Donald Trump's integrity, courage, and commitment to peace

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if only the american citizenry had had the moral fortitude to stand up years ago and demand we let Turkey ethnically cleanse the Syrian Kurds, the violence in Rojava would be over by now
What the hell are you even on? You think the US-led intervention was about preventing Turkey from invading Syria in any way shape or form?? What is this absolute bullshit. And I'm the one practicing "rhetoric" here???

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That's not why people are calling you a tankie, tankie.
Please enlighten me then because I still have no idea what the gently caress this word is supposed to mean. You'll find that my posts very much take a consistent position *against* sending in any tanks anywhere.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That post of yours you quoted was good Bob. You should keep making posts like that.

I guess my problem that set me off is that you sounded like you weren’t really here to talk to people. Instead you were just repeating propaganda. That doesn’t make for a good conversation, if I wanted to hear that I’d better just break down and get a twitter account.

And please don’t pull that talking truth to power bullshit. You’re far from the only person against US intervention in the thread. If you were against arming and training the SDF that might make you stand out but if it’s not a majority of posters here who are/were against a US intervention against Assad it’s at least close to 50/50. It’s off the top of my head there’s me, you, Frond, the American Alawite guy, that Anglo-Iranian who was also pro killing Sunni women and children, the list goes on. So stop posturing like your the lone voice of reason.

But yeah it is kinda bullshit when people drag grudge matches in from other threads

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The SDF/SDC keep getting called as "The Kurds", but more than half the SDF is Arab, and the whole point of what they were fighting for was to create a free society where ethnic, gender and religious divisions did not oppress the people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bob le Moche posted:

What the hell are you even on? You think the US-led intervention was about preventing Turkey from invading Syria in any way shape or form?? What is this absolute bullshit. And I'm the one practicing "rhetoric" here???

Please enlighten me then because I still have no idea what the gently caress this word is supposed to mean. You'll find that my posts very much take a consistent position *against* sending in any tanks anywhere.

leaving our leftover dudes sitting around in Rojava was in fact to present an obstacle to prevent Assad and Turkey from invading Rojava and squashing our allies, because it was cheap and easy to do

you may have noticed that the instant we removed them, Assad and Turkey invaded Rojava, and your position is that we should have removed them long before this or ideally never assisted against ISIS at all, with the result that Assad and Turkey would invade as soon as they had their ducks in a row and Turkey would ethnically cleanse the place

so congratulations, you finally got what you wanted :toot:

OctaMurk posted:

The SDF/SDC keep getting called as "The Kurds", but more than half the SDF is Arab, and the whole point of what they were fighting for was to create a free society where ethnic, gender and religious divisions did not oppress the people.

yeah it's difficult to come up with a perfectly accurate shorthand, which is why I'm leaning on 'Rojava'

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I have heard St Nicholas is a Turkish thing so Santa is Turkish.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

I have heard St Nicholas is a Turkish thing so Santa is Turkish.

Anatolian, anyway! 3rd-4th century, so a while before the Turks themselves showed up, but there's still a bunch of Anatolian blood in modern Turkey.

Santa Claus apocryphally punched a dude over a theological dispute, or rather the theological dispute - the victim was a fellow named Arius, who claimed that Jesus was separate from and subordinate to God the Father, rather than a coequal part of the trinity :ohdear:

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress thy mother.

Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw thine own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- Koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Apparently the Turks have been using White Phosphorus too.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes, yes indeed

::nms::nms::nms::nms::nms::nms:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7587357/Distressing-footage-emerges-children-chemical-burns-Syria.html

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

look there's nothing wrong with being mistaken sometimes. However if you're wrong you need to learn to be able to accept it and move on. Getting indignant like this isn't going to change what we know.

Cool, your opinion is noted, but on the other hand all of recorded history.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
For what it's worth I'd guess the share of posters in this thread who support a US intervention to overthrow Assad at less than 2% at this point, the share who favored a military intervention to overthrow Assad at any point at maybe 35%, and the share who at some point supported limited strikes against Assad to defend the prohibition of chemical weapons use against civilians at around 50%. Personally I can only support the last option. And SA has gotten more left wing over time at the same time US politics have gotten more anti-interventionist. Criticizing Conservatives for supporting a reckless abandonment of Iran diplomacy and war against Iran would be dramatically more sensible but granted there aren't many of them to argue with on SA.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

Blame nationalism. People are unable of conceiving of state politics functioning in any way outside of the nationality framework. For most of history and for many people today a collective Sunni identity was far more important than ethno-linguistic background. It's why Kurdish speaking groups massacred christians during WW1. The idea that the member of an ethnolingistic group might have greater loyalties and might belong to imagined communities that pit them against other members of the same group seems impossible. Someone a few weeks ago uploaded a picture of a Iraqi peshmerga to reddit saying "our brave Kurdish allies being slaughtered by the Turks," ignoring the fact that the KRG is literally trained by Turkey.

Everyone basically has a hitlarian conception of nationality now, it guarantees that massive genocides will happen as climate collapse comes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think people refer to "The Kurds" as a no explanatuion way to relay who they are talking about. I Say Turks or Turkey instead of TFSA or SNA because there's so many loving acronyms in this war It's difficult to keep track of who is who and avoid miss-labeling groups. No one here uses the SNA or TFSA acronym for the most part.

Here is a good Map of the Situation in Northern Syria so far

The Blue highlighted areas are under nazi occupation.

However control of the M4 highway is fluid, Turkey is starting to setup more permanent outposts etc in and around the highway as it is a main supply route for most of Kurdish Syria.

This is the focal point this week, as we have yet to see the shelling cease in this encircled Kurdish town as per the agreement between Turkey the US and Russia, Neville Chamberlain 120hr peace isn't stopping the Turkish shelling.

Also, Rest in peace to these Kurdish fighters, who died in the service of the freeworld, against Nazi occupation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 19, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm honestly curious how close the tfsa are to being turkish little green men.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eh thry are motivated by the turks promising land after their invasion

Little green men usually referre to nondesignated forces, the TFSA by name are alignment designated.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flayer posted:

If you kick Turkey out of NATO what's the point of it?

The point of NATO is to counter the influence of the USSR and resist an hypothetical invasion by the forces of the Warsaw Pact.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Not very, the whole thing about the little green men was that they officially didn't exist, while Turkey proudly announces its alliance with Al Nusra for all to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Polite green men" are regular soldier who cut off their flags and other identifying markers from their uniforms. They were 100% Russian Army soldiers, going on a mission given to them by the Kremlin, just without the things mandated by the Geneva Conventions to identify soldiers as being soldiers so as to be the most transparent attempt at plausible deniability ever in recorded history.

Vasukhani posted:

Blame nationalism. People are unable of conceiving of state politics functioning in any way outside of the nationality framework. For most of history and for many people today a collective Sunni identity was far more important than ethno-linguistic background. It's why Kurdish speaking groups massacred christians during WW1. The idea that the member of an ethnolingistic group might have greater loyalties and might belong to imagined communities that pit them against other members of the same group seems impossible. Someone a few weeks ago uploaded a picture of a Iraqi peshmerga to reddit saying "our brave Kurdish allies being slaughtered by the Turks," ignoring the fact that the KRG is literally trained by Turkey.

Everyone basically has a hitlarian conception of nationality now, it guarantees that massive genocides will happen as climate collapse comes.

Curse Hitler for inventing the Westphalian model of nation states and bringing an end to the Thirty Years' War! No massive genocides back then, that's for sure.

Or at least, it was the correct kind of genocide, the one where Kurdish speaking groups massacre Christians during WW1 for example, that's a good genocide because it's a sectarian genocide, not a Hitlerian nationalist genocide. Right?