Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Harrow posted:

The ending of Crimson Flower is super I think the idea there is that either Byleth expended all of their Sothis power defeating the Immaculate One, or maybe having to help kill Rhea literally broke Sothis's heart (hence the Crest stone, which is her heart, shattering).
[/spoiler]

I tested that idea that on that route. Tested if that connection was truly broken. Sothis is still a marriage choice Still appears to byleth and still says they will be together forever even when byleth is back to blue hair instead of green hair. In the end she’s a goddess the rules don’t matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

I tested that idea that on that route. Tested if that connection was truly broken. Sothis is still a marriage choice Still appears to byleth and still says they will be together forever even when byleth is back to blue hair instead of green hair. In the end she’s a goddess the rules don’t matter.

Isn't she just a powerful alien

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Andrast posted:

the truth is out there

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Andrast posted:

Please share more about the hidden alien route I missed. :tinfoil:

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Sothis has a star motif going on. Her name is a Greek reading of Sopdet, the Egyptian name for Sirius (and its personified goddess), the brightest star in the sky. Her special in Heroes is also called Sirius, and the theme for Rhea, who's obsessed with Sothis, is "Gazing at Sirius". Solon also calls Byleth, who he likely saw as her reincarnation, "Fell Star".

Furthermore, Rhea explains that Sothis "came from somewhere far away and descended upon Fodlan".
So yeah, probably an alien.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

If I remember right, the lore for Fire Emblem has always been dragons come from outer space and were worshipped as Gods when they came to (Fire Emblem Planet). However, all dragons eventually go crazy unless they turn themselves into anime girls (bad part of lore).

You can kinda theorise that they're aliens gradually becoming sick due to the planet's different conditions and they need to acclimate in order to survive. This all basically fits in with Sothis too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wait what?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Look it's obvious they came through the dragon's gate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

If I remember right, the lore for Fire Emblem has always been dragons come from outer space and were worshipped as Gods when they came to (Fire Emblem Planet). However, all dragons eventually go crazy unless they turn themselves into anime girls (bad part of lore).

You can kinda theorise that they're aliens gradually becoming sick due to the planet's different conditions and they need to acclimate in order to survive. This all basically fits in with Sothis too.

They can also be anime boys

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Seteth is top tier husbando material, for real.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Basileus777 posted:

Great Lord has the best stats in the game and you're combining it with Dimitri, who is already the best unit statistically. It's probably the best of the lord classes as Edelgard's sucks (it's worse than great knight) and Barbarossa is just a Wyvern lord that's trading speed and axefaire for dex and bowfaire.

Emperor is terrible, 5 move and a -4 speed modifier? It doesn't even have Fortress Knight's inherent weight-5. Even if you didn't make Edelgard a Wyvern, Emperor is far worse than great knight. Why would anyone use this class? Magic might have salvaged it.

Enlightened One is actually a good class, it's just wasted on Byleth because his spell list sucks. If only Byleth had Manuela or even Ingrid's spell lists.

Great Lord has objectively worse stats than Barbarossa, unless you think that 3HP and 1Luck is worth 1STR, 5 DEX, 1 DEF, 2 MVT. Dimitri also has barely better stats than Claude and worst ones than Edelgard's.

Emperor having -4 SPD and 5 Move is kinda bad, and it having magic growth is a slap in the face given it doesn't have either magic casting or weight modifier. Still, it means Edelgard is the best lord both res wise, gambit wise, and for magic weapons, which can be useful. There is a solid argument for Emperor being the only lord final class being worse than an advanced class, though :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Great Lord has objectively worse stats than Barbarossa, unless you think that 3HP and 1Luck is worth 1STR, 5 DEX, 1 DEF, 2 MVT. Dimitri also has barely better stats than Claude and worst ones than Edelgard's.

Emperor having -4 SPD and 5 Move is kinda bad, and it having magic growth is a slap in the face given it doesn't have either magic casting or weight modifier. Still, it means Edelgard is the best lord both res wise, gambit wise, and for magic weapons, which can be useful. There is a solid argument for Emperor being the only lord final class being worse than an advanced class, though :(

Dimitri has 60/50 STR/SPD Growth, Edelgard is 55/40, Claude is 40/55. Dimitri's offense growths are really good

Great lord also gets 2 more speed than barbarossa. Like, it's still way worse than Barbarossa because of flying movement but otherwise Great lord is competitive.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 18, 2019

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

Dimitri has 60/50 STR/SPD Growth, Edelgard is 55/40, Claude is 40/55. Dimitri's offense growths are really good

Great lord also gets 2 more speed than barbarossa. Like, it's still way worse than Barbarossa because of flying movement but otherwise Great lord is competitive.

Great lord has the same speed as barbarossa when mounted. I don't think we can really go "We use unmounted barbarossa stats", here. It's not competitive, Barbarossa's just plain better.

Yeah, Dimitri's Physical Offense is really good... but not his MAG/RES, and that greatly limit how he can be used. You can't say "he is the best unit statistically" when you only count specific stats, here.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Great lord has the same speed as barbarossa when mounted. I don't think we can really go "We use unmounted barbarossa stats", here. It's not competitive, Barbarossa's just plain better.

Yeah, Dimitri's Physical Offense is really good... but not his MAG/RES, and that greatly limit how he can be used. You can't say "he is the best unit statistically" when you only count specific stats, here.

That's not true. Barbarossa has +2 speed when mounted (and nothing when dismounted) while Great lord has +4 by default.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Andrast posted:

That's not true. Barbarossa has +2 speed when mounted (and nothing when dismounted) while Great lord has +4 by default.

You are correct, I somehow misread what serene forest said. I still don't think 3HP/1Luck/2SPD is competitive to 5Dex/1DEF/2MVT, but it's not as big a gap as I thought.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arkeus posted:

You are correct, I somehow misread what serene forest said. I still don't think 3HP/1Luck/2SPD is competitive to 5Dex/1DEF/2MVT, but it's not as big a gap as I thought.

Well yeah, the movement alone makes barbarossa way better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Given how much this game rewards specialization I can't lose too much sleep over Dimitri, of all units, having bad Magic. Being really great at physical offense is significantly better than being "pretty good" across the board.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

anime girls (bad part of lore).

???

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think people are arguing at cross purposes. Dimitri has better character stats than Claude, but Claude has a better final class. (And weapon focus and battalion, imo)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fangz posted:

I think people are arguing at cross purposes. Dimitri has better character stats than Claude, but Claude has a better final class. (And weapon focus and battalion, imo)

Well if we are going into weapons and battalions then we should acknowledge Dimitri's absolutely busted Battalion vantage + Battalion Wrath skill combo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arkeus posted:

I’d argue that Emperor is worse than Armored Lord because Edelgard’s custom armor gown is a very good look.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Why is the class named Barbarossa when his beard is quite clearly black and he will not return from death to lead Almyra into a new golden age?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Harrow posted:

Given how much this game rewards specialization I can't lose too much sleep over Dimitri, of all units, having bad Magic. Being really great at physical offense is significantly better than being "pretty good" across the board.

I do think there is something to be said for being able to use a bolting axe to trounce highly armored opponents with Edelgard. I don't know enough about maddening but my impression is that being able to target opponent's weaknesses is a good way to be good against everything. It would be better if Emperor could cast spells, though.

No matter what, though, Edelgard's 35+5% Res growth rate actually helps a lot compared to Dimitri's 20%.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Wait

Does this make the Slithers XCOM, down to the MEC troopers and recruits who fail to do anything before dying

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait

Does this make the Slithers XCOM, down to the MEC troopers and recruits who fail to do anything before dying

kind of

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Cuntellectual posted:

Seteth is top tier husbando material, for real.

It's kind of funny how you would not expect him to be such a nice person from initial impressions, but Seteth really is just a good dude. All his supports are great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Seteth is extremely dad

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Even his weird overprotectiveness makes sense when you realize that yes, there really are a bunch of no-goods looking to harvest Flayn's delicious blood.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess it's more like XCOM 2 since they lost already

quote:

Even his weird overprotectiveness makes sense when you realize that yes, there really are a bunch of no-goods looking to harvest Flayn's delicious blood.

New research project:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess it's more like XCOM 2 since they lost already

New research project:

Actually FE3H is XCOM 3 after all, being set long after the xcommers ruined everything by overthrowing Advent, with Rhea etc being the remaining chosen trying to hold everything together and Sothis being an ethereal. Byleth literally has the glowing hair of an avatar.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Andrast posted:

Seteth is extremely daddy

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Seteth and Flayn are awesome characters who are a lot of fun to be around. IMO the twist that they're father and daughter is really cool and but the twist that they're dragon saint gods doesn't work as well for me. I dunno, I just feel like it takes away from Rhea's backstory a bit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Seteth and Flayn are awesome characters who are a lot of fun to be around. IMO the twist that they're father and daughter is really cool and but the twist that they're dragon saint gods doesn't work as well for me. I dunno, I just feel like it takes away from Rhea's backstory a bit.

That's the most generous usage of the word "twist" I have ever seen

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought the father and daughter thing is incredibly obvious, the Saint thing is much more amusing and it's mostly a bit annoying that nothing comes of it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still working through my first run (GD). I finished the War at Grondor mission, Ch 17 I think it was, this morning. How close to the end am I?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The immortal saint thing is plot-relevant in Church, outside of that it mostly just provides further context to Flayn's fellow kids routine and Seteth's wise councillor schtick in their supports

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

The immortal saint thing is plot-relevant in Church, outside of that it mostly just provides further context to Flayn's fellow kids routine and Seteth's wise councillor schtick in their supports

It's more fun if they're just weird. They're weird enough to just be weirdos but they don't really act weird enough to literally be figures of worship walking around on earth

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm still working through my first run (GD). I finished the War at Grondor mission, Ch 17 I think it was, this morning. How close to the end am I?

You have about 6 missions left.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing I appreciate about Seteth and Flayn secretly being church saints is that it's never harped on or even really brought up directly unless you go out of your way to make them do poo poo like fight the other saints in paralogues. It's just a neat setting detail you can pick up on and go "oh huh that's cool" without it being some huge plot bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

It's more fun if they're just weird. They're weird enough to just be weirdos but they don't really act weird enough to literally be figures of worship walking around on earth

Nah, that's like the entire point. The Slithers and Edelgard see the whole War in mythic Man vs God-alien terms but the presence of Flayn and Seteth show that ultimately the Children of the Goddess are just a bunch of goofs like everyone else, and the entire ideology and thousand year grudge of the slithers is dumb. Whatever the real issues are with the Systems, the race war they are super into doesn't actually exist. The framework would be rather different if the sole representative of the children is Rhea.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 18, 2019