Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

namesake posted:

Yeah no deal is very bad but the economic models adopted by the UK and the EU are also extremely bad, it's about what's the best way of changing that?

Yes they are, but if you can’t see the degree of difference between getting scalded by a hot mug and tripping into a volcano, I don’t know what to say. In terms of changing that, maybe a good UK government pushing for progressive policies in the EU rather than being responsible for a lot of the poo poo might help. People are saying that some of the more neoliberal stuff might be up for changes once the U.K. is gone because they’ve always been a block to it and any idea of the social chapter. We could do more inside the EU than outside it, where any changes the U.K. makes are likely to be for the much much worse.
Edit: 167 - the Marcommani tribe wars against Ancient Rome, which Trump calls the Macaroni Wars and that they helped the Romans win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, this is going to be closer than Mays vote, but I doubt it will pass, the press is playing it up, but that's to sell papers/get clicks. Unless there is a good number of Labour defectors, then we should be back to plan A - extension then crushing the Tories.
Sat night is going to be fun though!

Bohnson needs about 30 MPs to change their MV2 vote from No to Aye. While some of the No votes from then are ERG / current front bench MP's who will change, it's also worth keeping in mind that quite a few of the 21 expelled MP's (like Hammond) voted Aye. They could well flip the other way if they still hate Boris enough.

edit: Gyimah is still voting No

https://twitter.com/SamGyimah/status/1185095692366336000

xtothez fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 18, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
These are grown rear end adults in kings cross lol

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
My real worry is that it goes through, and it goes through on Labour votes, in which case the party gets destroyed at the next election.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MikeCrotch posted:

A lot of people in the party are *really* hosed off with McDonnell for the Campbell interview, both for just doing it at all and saying Tony Blair isn't a war criminal, and (to them) opening up the can of worms that is Corbyn's replacement, not to mention the possibility that Labour might actually lose the ability upcoming election.

yea, but they're not out there calling for McDonnell's head - they're just silently nursing their grudges and biding their time until some opportunity comes to put a boot in

except Skwawk

hence, bellwether

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pesmerga posted:

My real worry is that it goes through, and it goes through on Labour votes, in which case the party gets destroyed at the next election.

As with all the previous votes, the threat of handing the Tories an election win will keep all but the worst of the Labour twats onside.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ThomasPaine posted:

always in the way between me and the real magic of a place to sit down and have a beer before falling asleep and missing my train because drinking just makes me sleepy god how old am I

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

xtothez posted:

Bohnson needs about 30 MPs to change their MV2 vote from No to Aye. While some of the No votes from then are ERG / current front bench MP's who will change, it's also worth keeping in mind that quite a few of the 21 expelled MP's (like Hammond) voted Aye. They could well flip the other way if they still hate Boris enough.

edit: Gyimah is still voting No

https://twitter.com/SamGyimah/status/1185095692366336000

most of the ex-Tories that are still Independent have come out and said they're voting for the deal because the biggest concern to them was a no-deal Brexit. Live play-by-play spreadsheet is currently forecasting the deal passing on the backs of the Labour-for-a-deal lot
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ktqCioirDDTRnnWd-1WHuA-7mvjuA5C3rTTrYpZ7mkA/edit#gid=58425768

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThomasPaine posted:

Nationalise Hogwarts, IMO.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Doccykins posted:

most of the ex-Tories that are still Independent have come out and said they're voting for the deal because the biggest concern to them was a no-deal Brexit. Live play-by-play spreadsheet is currently forecasting the deal passing on the backs of the Labour-for-a-deal lot
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ktqCioirDDTRnnWd-1WHuA-7mvjuA5C3rTTrYpZ7mkA/edit#gid=58425768

All "rebels" are for it. what a loving surprise

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ThomasPaine posted:

READ ANOTHER BOOK FFS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

'"Your a Pokemon master Harry" - Francis Weetmans" - The Joker

IrvingWashington posted:

always in the way between me and the real magic of a place to sit down and have a beer before falling asleep and missing my train because drinking just makes me sleepy god how old am I
That's what those office pods are really for.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Everyone knows that parliament won't pass the deal just as everyone knows he wouldn't get a renegotiation etc. etc.

If you go an look at the headcounts it's a absolute knife edge; wish I had the confidence some of you have.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rustybear posted:

Everyone knows that parliament won't pass the deal just as everyone knows he wouldn't get a renegotiation etc. etc.

If you go an look at the headcounts it's a absolute knife edge; wish I had the confidence some of you have.

I have no control over the situation so I'd spend my time waiting for the result in a positive way rather than feeling miserable :shrug:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Looks like the ERG are going to be in support.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Samovar posted:

READ ANOTHER BOOK FFS

I'll have you know Harry Potter is the perfect allegory for modern life. Now let me put these sorting-hat calipers on your skull and arbitrarily sort you into a group based on the measurements.

Rustybear posted:

It'll pass, or it won't. The optimal hope is that it fails, Johnson has to ask for an extension, and then an election is called. If it passes, we're most likely hosed. But whatever the Brexit outcome we'd be hosed, it's just a matter of how severe, and this has been known since leave won, and the Tories had to try and enact their impossible fantasy - we just have to play things as they land.

It's no comfort, I know, but better to expect the worst, hope for the best.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 18, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is the second NEC member after lansman to say this

https://twitter.com/hudaelmi_/status/1185128236105261056

arron banks has split with farage too

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1185129631751393280

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Getting a EU FTA is really easy guys, just look at the Mercosur one, they started discussions 20 years ago and they still haven't signed anything lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
poo poo kicked off big time in mexico

https://twitter.com/DavidWolf777/status/1184983397728428034?s=20
https://twitter.com/BZR924/status/1184988036448374784?s=20
https://twitter.com/corp_main/status/1184998782754263040?s=20

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Our fears will come true and Kate “skeletor cuntface” Hoey is going to give us a lovely brexit with a singular vote to break the tie.

loving gently caress

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

the destruction of workers rights and everything else under a tory government that would almost certainly win a majority immediately after any form of their brexit is a worthy left wing goal to be free of the EU's constraints

Its still Labour party policy to try and get a deal themselves? Imagining how things can go beyond the end of this week is important to prevent knee-jerk responses to everything.

Pesmerga posted:

Yes they are, but if you can’t see the degree of difference between getting scalded by a hot mug and tripping into a volcano, I don’t know what to say. In terms of changing that, maybe a good UK government pushing for progressive policies in the EU rather than being responsible for a lot of the poo poo might help. People are saying that some of the more neoliberal stuff might be up for changes once the U.K. is gone because they’ve always been a block to it and any idea of the social chapter. We could do more inside the EU than outside it, where any changes the U.K. makes are likely to be for the much much worse.
Edit: 167 - the Marcommani tribe wars against Ancient Rome, which Trump calls the Macaroni Wars and that they helped the Romans win.

I don't think we need to go through the whole remain and reform argument but it's at least as difficult as Lexit while also requiring massive international collaboration to get anywhere. It's by no means the better option here.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1184865892632530944

Like Stephen Bush says there's nothing all that surprising here, but it's an interesting a breakdown of probably the major strategic difficulty for Labour, one that's (unfortunately) largely unique to them compared with all the other parties. Definitely worth a read

quote:

The root of the strategic dilemma is that, on the one hand, a majority of Labour MPs (61%)[1] represent constituencies that had a majority leave vote in 2016, whilst on the other a clear majority of Labour voters (68%) supported Remain in 2016. Interpreting this difference appears to have been extremely important in guiding Labour strategy, dividing opinions among Labour MPs.
Even in strong Leave Labour seats (where leave vote exceeded 60%) the number of potential Labour voters who would vote Remain (62%) is more than twice the number who would vote Leave (26%).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Diet Crack posted:

Our fears will come true and Kate “skeletor cuntface” Hoey is going to give us a lovely brexit with a singular vote to break the tie.

loving gently caress

I think Hoey is with the DUP in being against this time, in fact

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

urgh. phone driving.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Farage really seems to have cracked, can't explain it at all.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ratjaculation posted:

urgh. phone driving.

:agreed:

Very dangerous. I hope that idiot got penalty points :mad:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Congrats to leave campaign for using words like war and battle in an already heightened environment. loving political provocateurs.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rustybear posted:

If Brexit happens the press have no more need of him.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Get ready for round 2" say the same people who "just want it to be over."

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Noxville posted:

If Brexit happens the press have no more need of him.

Nonsense, he can kickstart the 'campaign to leave the eu (deal)' immediately.

Reactionaries don't disappear simply because you've lurched to the right.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
If getting brexit done constitutes round 1 I shudder to think what round 2 entails but I can imagine

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Rustybear posted:

Nonsense, he can kickstart the 'campaign to leave the eu (deal)' immediately.

Reactionaries don't disappear simply because you've lurched to the right.

Nah his whole gravy train is perpetual Brexit betrayal so he can have his loving frog face everywhere stirring up poo poo. Farage would absolutely have preferred a narrow Remain win so he could carry on stirring the poo poo in the media, he became incredibly irrelevant pretty quickly for a while after the referendum, with the Brexit Party and the shitstorm that Brexit has been providing his new shilling vehicle.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Bundy posted:

Nah his whole gravy train is Brexit perpetually happening so he can have his loving frog face everywhere stirring up poo poo.

Peoples lives will still be poo poo; he can still have his frog face everywhere saying it's all the fault of the surrender deal etc.

Expected his take to be 'it's a start but [hardest possible brexit] would be better' not blubbing about 'but but but the Benn Act!!!'.

Anyway not worth expending too many brain cells wondering exactly how the poo poo flows within his brain, just a loving weird take is all.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rustybear posted:

He's a grifter whose the figurehead of the Brexit party. If Brexit is seen as "done", there's no point in it as a party, and he's back looking for another grift.

Why do think after the referendum he looked like someone had poo poo on all his Christmasses? Like Johnson, he's not neccesarily ideologically tied to Brexit - it has always been a means to an end. Perpetually promising the moon on a stick, never for it to become a reality...only for it to come crashing down with a big grimacing Theresa May face on it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Isn't he also still an MEP? I doubt he wants that gravy train to end any sooner than it has to either.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Merkel says if the deal doesn't pass there should be an extension.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I think France will be the ones to piss and moan against an extension again, before grudgingly agreeing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rustybear posted:

Well, he's out of a job if we actually Brexit.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bundy posted:

Isn't he also still an MEP? I doubt he wants that gravy train to end any sooner than it has to either.

Yeah still an MEP. And still doing less than the bare minimum of work for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/marklobel/status/1185141828338798592