Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chris Cilizza is the dumbest person employed by CNN and I do not make that declaration lightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
100%

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1185022399416274945

https://twitter.com/nbeaudrot/status/1184927304058716160

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 18, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FuturePastNow posted:

Chris Cilizza is the dumbest person employed by CNN and I do not make that declaration lightly
Does he fall under any felonies or crimes for yellow journalism?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Edit: actually a lot of districts in that map were insane:

My parents live in Tonawanda. It was absolutely insane that they were lumped in with Rochester. Rochester is more than an hour's drive away via a pretty much direct interstate highway. They have nothing in common except that a lot of black people happen to live in Rochester, Niagara Falls and Kenmore. (Grand Island is all bougie white people, though. Bet they loved that.)

Also that loving Ithaca and Poughkeepsie were in the same district. :wtc:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ridiculous gerrymandering aside, I just love the concept of "if you don't run through it, you can't represent it". Looking forward to Trump running across America like Forrest Gump

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

gently caress off, Sellout Snake.

Also :lol: at that gerrymandering bullshit

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

That district is loving absurd and the GOP are rubbing it everyone’s faces that they’ve stollen our democracy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Stereotype posted:

That district is loving absurd and the GOP are rubbing it everyone’s faces that they’ve stollen our democracy

Stollen is delicious though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Stereotype posted:

I am not aware of a more blatantly gerrymandered region anywhere, when you look up the definition of gerrymandering it should be a picture of Dan Crenshaw's district.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I am extremely lost as to why the thread has taken such a hard turn for "Nothing Matters no matter what we do, give in to your despair" in a week where Trump's WH can't seem to stop shoveling directly actionable poo poo into an ongoing impeachment inquiry

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SpaceDrake posted:

I am extremely lost as to why the thread has taken such a hard turn for "Nothing Matters no matter what we do, give in to your despair" in a week where Trump's WH can't seem to stop shoveling directly actionable poo poo into an ongoing impeachment inquiry

The obvious answer is that the legal system and impeachment enquiry are so slow that it feels like we'll all be dead before anything is done.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, for starters, we watched a genocide playout in real time, then we watched the man who betrayed the Kurds negotiate their unconditional surrender (without their knowledge) and be celebrated as a hero by Fox News for it.

Also, looking the situation in the face and then admitting how dire things are isn't "nothing matters". It's just honesty.

This thread hasn't been full of people giving up imo, it's been full of people really letting themselves gaze into the depths of the Abyss for the first time- and contemplating what they see.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 18, 2019

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stereotype posted:

IIRC that Tweet came days after his Joe Rogan appearance where he argued that gerrymandering wasn't that big of a deal. He also claimed that terrorists 'hate us for our freedom' which is over a decade past its expiration point.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Quick question from a curious foreigner- is gerrymandering something that is, well, widely understood? Is it only politics nerds that care about it? Is anyone out there defending it?
Those maps just seem so egregiously awful.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

Well, for starters, we watched a genocide playout in real time, then we watched the man who betrayed the Kurds negotiate their unconditional surrender and be celebrated as a hero by Fox News for it.

Also, looking the situation in the face and then admitting how tired of things are isn't "nothing matters". It's just honesty.

This thread hasn't been full of people giving up imo, it's been full of people Trulia gazing into the depths of the Abyss and contemplating what they see.

I’m speaking for entirely myself here, but it’s like, my brain is not prepped for this massive loving nightmare that has been the eternal 2016. It is constantly forming new pathways to simply comprehend all that is going on while having to contend with a million other things I face on the day to day. It is loving stressful, the well of “this is so hosed up” is bottomless and yet one has to continue on. It’s uncharted territory for pretty much everyone, this whole...everything.

I remember seeing pics and footage from the concentration camps and crying on the train home, in front of others, because I couldn’t grasp this new depth of human cruelty - our brains aren’t loving made for this. Now multiply that but with a trillion different nightmares, and while it can be repetitive, the negativity around all of this is understandable. We’re all just trying to cope with our heads being unable to do so.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The thing that most boggles my mind that I can’t wrap my head around, is that people are still supporting him, vehemently so. Watching my parents just fall in line and continue to follow his every word is just painful in a way I can’t quite articulate.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

e.pilot posted:

The thing that most boggles my mind that I can’t wrap my head around, is that people are still supporting him, vehemently so. Watching my parents just fall in line and continue to follow his every word is just painful in a way I can’t quite articulate.

teen witch posted:

I’m speaking for entirely myself here, but it’s like, my brain is not prepped for this massive loving nightmare that has been the eternal 2016. It is constantly forming new pathways to simply comprehend all that is going on while having to contend with a million other things I face on the day to day. It is loving stressful, the well of “this is so hosed up” is bottomless and yet one has to continue on. It’s uncharted territory for pretty much everyone, this whole...everything.

I remember seeing pics and footage from the concentration camps and crying on the train home, in front of others, because I couldn’t grasp this new depth of human cruelty - our brains aren’t loving made for this. Now multiply that but with a trillion different nightmares, and while it can be repetitive, the negativity around all of this is understandable. We’re all just trying to cope with our heads being unable to do so.
To everyone who sees themselves in these posts:

I wish there was something I could tell you that would ease the pain or help you find a way forwords, but in truth no such wisdom exists. We are all being forced to grapple with the true depths of depravity that exist within the human soul, and at the end of the day that is ultimately (of necessity) a very lonely and personal journey. How each of us finds a way to keep our chin up and keep embracing hope when we can see just how dark Humanity really is- well there's no magic bullet for that. No verse of scripture or Buddhist koan or insightful folksy anecdote can help you.

You have to find your own reason, your own source of meaning, that's all there is to it.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 18, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tree Bucket posted:

Quick question from a curious foreigner- is gerrymandering something that is, well, widely understood? Is it only politics nerds that care about it? Is anyone out there defending it?

It's a politics nerd thing.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Prester Jane posted:

To everyone who sees themselves in these posts:

I wish there was something I could tell you that would ease the pain or help you find a way forwords, but in truth no such wisdom exists. We are all being forced to grapple with the true depths of depravity that exist within the human soul, and at the end of the day that is ultimately (of necessity) a very lonely and personal journey. How each of us finds a way to keep our chin up and keep embracing hope when we can see just how dark Humanity really is- well there's no magic bullet for that. No verse of scripture or Buddhist koan or insightful folksy anecdote can help you.

You have to find your own reason, your own source of meaning, that's all there is to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW--IGAfeas

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SpaceDrake posted:

it's weird flailings by people who never normally post here almost every time

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

e.pilot posted:

One of the less talked about effects of Trump (and Brexit over here in the UK) is how they're absolutely destroying families.

I limit how much I talk with my father now, and we both have very specific conversational lines we (usually I) don't cross, because we both know we'll probably fall out permanently if we actually discuss things. I make sure I leave the room whenever he starts talking politics or watches the news.

Going home used to be a relief for me, but now it's just constant, simmering tension.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

nsfw: turkey used white phosphorus

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/turkey-is-suspected-of-using-white-phosphorus-against-kurdish-civilians-in-syria-jp23jmqvv

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

But her emails.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Heads up: gross pic and loving paywall and gently caress ERDOGAN.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
And Now, A Musical Number - GIULIANI! (Here He Goes Again) - Randy Rainbow Song Parody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upBCQo5bkJc

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mr Interweb posted:

goddamn it

just found out cummings was only 68

trump on the other hand, will live to be a thousand

Trump isnt using up his "battery" with all kinds of exercise.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

teen witch posted:

Heads up: gross pic and loving paywall and gently caress ERDOGAN.

I had a quick look for this story in other UK papers and the BBC but I’m not seeing it yet. The Times is usually reliable though.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Beginning to wonder if Trump is the personification of Azathoth.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Barry Foster posted:

One of the less talked about effects of Trump (and Brexit over here in the UK) is how they're absolutely destroying families.

I limit how much I talk with my father now, and we both have very specific conversational lines we (usually I) don't cross, because we both know we'll probably fall out permanently if we actually discuss things. I make sure I leave the room whenever he starts talking politics or watches the news.

Going home used to be a relief for me, but now it's just constant, simmering tension.

I am picking up what you are putting down. I stopped using facebook because I was sick of seeing my family members post their blind loyalty for someone that is obviously a grifter. It gets worse though. After his presidency is over they will never admit they were wrong and actually take it a step farther. They are ready to vote for the next charlatan that comes along with a FYGM platform with a dose of racism. They do not learn. I see the relationship with my aunt in your relationship with your dad. I used to really like talking to her but our relationship profoundly changed when Trump was elected. Now when we are together which happens a few times every week its tense and we cannot talk about what is going on in the world because she gets so defensive because she views everything as a slight against trump. The thing that really got me to look at her in a different way though is that she complained about interracial couples in TV commercials. I think Trump gives her the cover to express her racist beliefs. Now that I know how she really feels I just can't respect her anymore.

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 18, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

ManBoyChef posted:

I am picking up what you are putting down. I stopped using facebook because I was sick of seeing my family members post their blind loyalty for someone that is obviously a grifter. It gets worse though. After his presidency is over they will never admit they were wrong and actually take it a step farther. They are ready to vote for the next charlatan that comes along with a FYGM platform with a dose of racism. They do not learn. I see the relationship with my aunt in your relationship with your dad. I used to really like talking to her but our relationship profoundly changed when Trump was elected. Now when we are together which happens a few times every week its tense and we cannot talk about what is going on in the world because she gets so defensive about her vote for Trump. The thing that really got me to look at her in a different way though is that she complained about interracial couples in TV commercials. I think Trump gives her the cover to express her racist beliefs. Now that I know how she really feels I just can't respect her anymore.

Basically, this. All this poo poo did was remove the mask. People that I already suspected being a certain way, but had no proof, all but confirmed it in recent years.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

It's been explained to just about everyone. Very few are confused what you mean when you use the word. But a huge percentage of people either put it into the "both sides" bucket and condemn politics in general rather than the Republican party specifically, or they just-world-fallacy it and assume that the explanation they got exaggerated the problem or didn't explain it properly because it is just too absurd that such a thing could be allowed to such a crazy extent.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

There are some things that will continue to work against more liberal agendas like the SC and gerrymandering and the GOPs absolute readiness to ratfuck the Dems any chance they get, but I just don’t see how this general party line exists for another decade.

The way I see it was what pushed Trump was essentially the last gasp of boomers and people who are in economic/health situations that were conned into thinking schoolyard toughness and projecting strength were the answer. The first group is just going to continue to die off and get overtaken by younger voting blocs and the latter will realize the extra 2k per year or whatever the hell they want to claim from Trump isn’t going to save them from their hardships when the economic cycle goes south again. Of course that will probably happen under Dem leadership so watch out for the dead cat bounce and one of the chambers to go Red mid-cycle

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Path just keeps curving around to the right, lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pkay posted:

Basically, this. All this poo poo did was remove the mask. People that I already suspected being a certain way, but had no proof, all but confirmed it in recent years.

It took the mask off of their predisposition for bigotry/racism and vulnerability to propaganda, but it is crazy to conclude that Trump hasn't made it worse. Think about how people spiral into the alt-right cesspool - at first they usually agree with one or two (bad) opinions being expressed and just kind of put up with the other stuff, but soon they get used to the other horrible opinions and eventually they are all in. Spend some time around garbage and you stop smelling it, spend enough time lounging around garbage and you might actually start to like the stink.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

White flight district lines

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Taerkar posted:

White flight district lines

Vision dreams of passion
(Blowin' through my mind) And all the while I think of you

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1185143021798592512

Not even a day. President Deals - mission accomplished!

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Mattis has this weird cult following in the service I never really understood. Even the Hilliary supporters I know on this base are all in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1185143021798592512

Not even a day. President Deals - mission accomplished!

LMAO that clown was parading around the 'deal' like he was the great peacemaker only for the rest of the world to ignore him yet again.

Whenever Americans say that 'Trump made the world respect us again' I can't help but laugh. The exact opposite is true.