Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

This may not be the best metaphor for the president to use

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/friendship-tree-planted-by-president-trump-and-macron-has-died/

thegalagakid posted:

Mattis has this weird cult following in the service I never really understood. Even the Hilliary supporters I know on this base are all in on it.

He was supposed to be the 'adult in the room' forcing trump to do the right thing and showing that a grizzled war vet would work for trump therefore trump should be respected or something. I worked with a chud who had this 'saint mattis' picture up on his cube wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ewiley posted:

He was supposed to be the 'adult in the room' forcing trump to do the right thing and showing that a grizzled war vet would work for trump therefore trump should be respected or something. I worked with a chud who had this 'saint mattis' picture up on his cube wall.

The_Donald subreddit was filled with Chuck Norris-like adulation of Mattis every other day right up until he quit. To prevent their minds from shattering they fled to 'His job is done and he needs to make way for other people' before eventually turning on him. Its a fascinating place.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

gently caress :smith:

Turkey should genuinely be kicked out of NATO for this poo poo

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ewiley posted:

As explained to me by a servicemember:

He made it a point to be seen as treating everyone down to the lowest private equally, taking care of his men his utmost priority. In an institution where it's well known that leadership will probably treat you like poo poo and also half of them are incompetent idiots, his desire to listen to the concerns of all his men and also always appear that he knew exactly what was going on made him well-liked. His insane quotes like 'be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet' and his, uh, work in Iraq (gaining him the 'mad dog' nickname) made him a legend.

He was revered way before trump because he made it a point to be seen as the everyman general - you know, a general who told it like it is and also made it clear he was always on the knife's edge ready to kill you. Marines love that poo poo. Trump's admin just propelled him to popularity outside the armed forces.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beaten

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 18, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

gently caress :smith:

They're completely taking advantage of their situation as a buffer state; their removal from NATO sets up some real nasty theoreticals wrt Russian attempts at annexing more land and kinda makes NATO obsolete.

edit not so say I don't agree; the whole thing is hosed because trump and pompeo and pence are loving morons who employ morons and are actively trying to end the world. There are no good options anymore.

Also Fahrenthold deserves a pulitzer

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1184911926050078721?s=20

skylined! fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 18, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

strategic taco meat reserves

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tree Bucket posted:

Quick question from a curious foreigner- is gerrymandering something that is, well, widely understood? Is it only politics nerds that care about it? Is anyone out there defending it?
Those maps just seem so egregiously awful.

it's reasonable well understood, but it falls squarely in the "well, what can we do about it" side of things.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's reasonable well understood, but it falls squarely in the "well, what can we do about it" side of things.

It’s also convoluted because it’s something both sides legitimately do, but often for different reasons, which is why you get resistance to fixing it. In blue states there’s often internal gerrymandering to produce minority-majority districts because that’s about the only way to bet minority representation in Congress, because even White democrats rarely vote for black representatives.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vichan posted:

LMAO that clown was parading around the 'deal' like he was the great peacemaker only for the rest of the world to ignore him yet again.

Whenever Americans say that 'Trump made the world respect us again' I can't help but laugh. The exact opposite is true.

Almost everyone in the world thinks we are a joke, and that we are a bunch of fat racist idiots that elected a side show clown.

Even as as historian I have never seen a time in modern history where American clout mattered so little, and frankly if our leaders are this loving stupid, we deserve that

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

In today's impeachment news:

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1185156948427264000?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like you could say, "Their testimony could prove damaging to Trump," about anyone who had been around him for more than five minutes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Grouchio posted:

Is Pennsylvaia the only recent state to undo its gerrymandering?

I think NC kind of did? I forgot where we left off with that. I remember something along the lines of it's not as good as we hoped for, but still better.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Edit: stupid reply

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 18, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TulliusCicero posted:

Even as as historian I have never seen a time in modern history where American clout mattered so little

Good. What the gently caress is so great about this country anyway?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

"BUT AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM!" :byodood:

I completely agree btw. We have only proven how completely stupid and insane we are

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It's a little bit late, and it might not be as much help as I'm hoping, but for everyone who's feeling lost that there could be so many people who have undying support for dear leader, the truth is a little more complicated than simply "they're horrible cultists." Some of them are, sure. There are diehard far right extremists who do hate everyone and everything that isn't them, but most of what we see as the GOP's hard floor of 37% isn't Trumpist ride-or-die chuds, they're just people who are privileged enough and isolated enough to have no stake in the system at all.

A huge majority of the country has very little interest in its actions and its operations, and really do treat their party affiliation as a sports team and it goes no deeper than that. It's fair to say that a lot of those people are as incurious as Trump is, but the maliciousness and cruelty aren't the draw for them -- they honestly don't know it's there. Most people don't watch the news at all, couldn't tell you who the speaker of the house was (if they even knew there was such a person) and don't do anything other than vote every 4 years purely based on party affiliation that they've likely inherited.

So.... I don' t know that this really makes you feel any better, but I do take some comfort in the fact that the image is very skewed by being well-informed, among other well-informed people, and looking at Twitter where all the bad people are really loud. Granted, it's not that comforting that most people are the quintessential White Moderate who don't care and can't be made to, but it's a little better than slavering death cultists. A little.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gort posted:

The obvious answer is that the legal system and impeachment enquiry are so slow that it feels like we'll all be dead before anything is done.

Things are moving between ten to twenty times faster than they did in the Watergate investigation. It literally can't go any faster.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gort posted:

It's a politics nerd thing.

People understand it, or referendum banning it would not succeed when but before the electorate, and it does.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stereotype posted:

That district is loving absurd and the GOP are rubbing it everyone’s faces that they’ve stollen our democracy

I don't think Crenshaw is that smart. He doesn't see gerrymandering there because he doesn't understand what it is

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCJonSopel/status/1185173924155404288

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Pollyanna posted:

Music.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ershalim posted:

It's a little bit late, and it might not be as much help as I'm hoping, but for everyone who's feeling lost that there could be so many people who have undying support for dear leader, the truth is a little more complicated than simply "they're horrible cultists." Some of them are, sure. There are diehard far right extremists who do hate everyone and everything that isn't them, but most of what we see as the GOP's hard floor of 37% isn't Trumpist ride-or-die chuds, they're just people who are privileged enough and isolated enough to have no stake in the system at all.

A huge majority of the country has very little interest in its actions and its operations, and really do treat their party affiliation as a sports team and it goes no deeper than that. It's fair to say that a lot of those people are as incurious as Trump is, but the maliciousness and cruelty aren't the draw for them -- they honestly don't know it's there. Most people don't watch the news at all, couldn't tell you who the speaker of the house was (if they even knew there was such a person) and don't do anything other than vote every 4 years purely based on party affiliation that they've likely inherited.

So.... I don' t know that this really makes you feel any better, but I do take some comfort in the fact that the image is very skewed by being well-informed, among other well-informed people, and looking at Twitter where all the bad people are really loud. Granted, it's not that comforting that most people are the quintessential White Moderate who don't care and can't be made to, but it's a little better than slavering death cultists. A little.

Okay. So what do we do about them?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Gettin' owned by every lovely dictator to trigger the libs

Pollyanna posted:

Okay. So what do we do about them?

PJ has hit on it a lot -- one of the things that needs to change is that we need leadership that can speak to people with something for them to believe in. It's unlikely to come from the leadership we have now, but it's not like that's impossible. It might take outside actors like activists or even weird places like youtube stars, but it's definitely possible to change complacency and indolence to something useful, if temporary.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao Turkey straight up threatening Trump and disregarding NATO.

Trump will do nothing of course.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1185173683373035525

https://mobile.twitter.com/jbiehlvt/status/1185173228832088070

https://mobile.twitter.com/starrcongress/status/1185162580018581505

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Kinda getting The Last Mohican vibe here. Where the Brits surrender their fort and are allowed safe passage only to be massacred on the way to safety

"You elect a racist moron. It's gotta crime. Get that extra time -- we'll have more crimes crimes crimes."

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 18, 2019

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

[url]https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1185173683373035525[url]

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/3ev7jqh.jpg[timg]

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/TGbly1W.jpg[timg]

https://mobile.twitter.com/jbiehlvt/status/1185173228832088070

https://mobile.twitter.com/starrcongress/status/1185162580018581505

Trump always liked Andrew Jackson, now he gets his own Trail of Tears in Syria

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

My heart is broken for these people. I think what has happened in N. Syria is a pretty good representation of the Trump presidency. Basically because of Trump's ignorance and impulsiveness people have lost their lives and their homes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Turkey yesterday said that they had not agreed to a ceasefire so I’m not sure why the media is surprised

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Turkey yesterday said that they had not agreed to a ceasefire so I’m not sure why the media is surprised

yes, but they agreed to stop shooting kurds in the territory they are conquering for 120 hours and they're not even doing that

Erdogan is literally denying the attacks they've done since that agreement, so it's pretty obvious they are pretending to be following it publicly

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"The FAKE NEWS is reporting about the bombs, but my good friend Erdogan, in a perfect call, told me he wasn't doing anything. Your favourite president (me) delivers. WITCH HUNT"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

yes, but they agreed to stop shooting kurds in the territory they are conquering for 120 hours and they're not even doing that

Erdogan is literally denying the attacks they've done since that agreement, so it's pretty obvious they are pretending to be following it publicly

Ya it's pretty much fascism 101 at this point, and our own fascists were too dumb or too happy to agree to let them do it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I was relating a personal anecdote about how severely economic are activity in the area dried up in the wake of the Great Recession. And it is kind of relevant because Chapel Hill Mall is only about 10 miles away from the infamous Rolling Acres Mall, the mall that became basically the simple of dying malls in the Midwest. ( also a place I spent thousands of happy hours of my childhood/teenage years goofing around in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_8jLBX-2k

I think a bigger reason that those malls are dying (have died) in addition to malls just dying everywhere is that the Summit Mall is like 10 miles away and wayyyyyy nicer. And its ALWAYS busy. (I saw LeBron there once...I guess that makes me Very Ohio)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Their stupidity is its own psyop. Just loving amazing.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185182842143334400?s=20

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't think there is any mechanism wherein a country can be kicked out of NATO.

The only way is to dissolve NATO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

skylined! posted:

Their stupidity is its own psyop. Just loving amazing.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185182842143334400?s=20

This is how you know someone is trying to pull one over on you and the media is a bunch of loving suckers for not kicking their asses over this poo poo.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

skylined! posted:

They're completely taking advantage of their situation as a buffer state; their removal from NATO sets up some real nasty theoreticals wrt Russian attempts at annexing more land and kinda makes NATO obsolete.

edit not so say I don't agree; the whole thing is hosed because trump and pompeo and pence are loving morons who employ morons and are actively trying to end the world. There are no good options anymore.

Also Fahrenthold deserves a pulitzer

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1184911926050078721?s=20
It's possible that this is just due to old-fashioned tax fraud. Throughout 2016, Obama was still in office and it was expected that Hillary would take over shortly. In 2017, they became the fox guarding the henhouse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think there is any mechanism wherein a country can be kicked out of NATO.

The only way is to dissolve NATO.

Monnkkeeyyyyyssss pppaaaawwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

I think a bigger reason that those malls are dying (have died) in addition to malls just dying everywhere is that the Summit Mall is like 10 miles away and wayyyyyy nicer. And its ALWAYS busy. (I saw LeBron there once...I guess that makes me Very Ohio)

yeah, dead malls aren't often a sign of general economic decline, because malls tend to be built around population centers which have economic inertia

the biggest causes of dead malls are 1) too many malls built in the 1980's and 90's, so there are surplus malls now and 2) internet retail

if a mall is the only mall in an area, and there are adequate people, and the people have a decent amount of money, then something will fill that mall, even if it's a bible camp go kart track or something