Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
PVA-covered sand painted Goblin Green with a drybrush of Sunburst Yellow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finished another 3 tanks for the ol' Steel Legion army

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

adamantium|wang posted:

PVA-covered sand painted Goblin Green with a drybrush of Sunburst Yellow

I got my Elmer's glue and a tub of sand ready to go! Sorry for all the posts on this but I'm very excited to do this again.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 18, 2019

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I doubt its actually any good, but would there be any worth for 5 man jetpack assault marines as Salamanders? They can take a flamer and give the sarge a power weapon for ~90 points, giving a few things to use the reroll on and a little collection of other attacks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

I doubt its actually any good, but would there be any worth for 5 man jetpack assault marines as Salamanders? They can take a flamer and give the sarge a power weapon for ~90 points, giving a few things to use the reroll on and a little collection of other attacks.

If the goal is to burninate something T1 then you'd need to roll at least a 5 on the advance roll.

Assault Marines are also complete trash in melee because they only have 1 attack base.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The problem with Assault Marines is that anything you want them to do can be accomplished by almost anything for slightly more points but also literally double (or more) the effectiveness. Especially since they didn't get any cheaper when tactical marines did.

For example: 75 points gets you five Assault Marines, which get to do a total of 16 attacks on the charge at S4, AP-, 1 damage. 85 points gets you five Vanguard Veterans with two chainswords each, which get to do a total of 26 attacks on the charge with the same profile. A little over 13% more points gets you a little over 62% more attacks with the same weapons.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Yeast posted:

christ every time i pop in here there's always something gorgeous being posted

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Strobe posted:

The problem with Assault Marines is that anything you want them to do can be accomplished by almost anything for slightly more points but also literally double (or more) the effectiveness. Especially since they didn't get any cheaper when tactical marines did.

For example: 75 points gets you five Assault Marines, which get to do a total of 16 attacks on the charge at S4, AP-, 1 damage. 85 points gets you five Vanguard Veterans with two chainswords each, which get to do a total of 26 attacks on the charge with the same profile. A little over 13% more points gets you a little over 62% more attacks with the same weapons.

Yeah I was having the same thought, I was just wondering if it was a possible case. I like the idea of jetpack marines and I also feel the veterans are a bit blingy.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I've been using my regular Assault Marines as counts-as Vanguard for two editions now.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I have a fluff question:

How comes the emperor was never affected by the null fields put out by the sisters of silence?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Yeast posted:

These are awesome, they look like something straight out of the display cabinet at Warhammer World.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

notaspy posted:

I have a fluff question:

How comes the emperor was never affected by the null fields put out by the sisters of silence?

Being a Null is internal, you have no warp presence and can’t be affected. Using it disruptively is the field of a Culexus or Sister Oblivion Knight and is an active engagement they are trained to do. Those that had the ability just actively chose not to interfere.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Hey Goonhammer lads, just giving you a heads up, for the second time in a week I have had your site linked in a 40k chat.

Seems your getting popular :D

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Idk if you could null zone the emperor anyway.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Hey Goonhammer lads, just giving you a heads up, for the second time in a week I have had your site linked in a 40k chat.

Seems your getting popular :D

Same. I've seen goonhammer referred to in both a Swedish and Norwegian group chat I'm part of this week.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JBP posted:

Idk if you could null zone the emperor anyway.

In Eisenhorn the psychic power of a titan’s machine spirit is too much for a blank and it ends up causing them significant harm. Emps is surely more powerful than that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Question on basing dudes...I kinda wanna just paint my bases goblin green with no special texturing or anything, you think that's gonna get the "these are classic primaris dudes" across? I think it'll really sell the neo retro feel of my army

25mm square bases:

32mm rounds didn't exist back in the day, but anything bigger than 25mm would ship with a 40mm square base. (40mm round bases didn't happen until third edition IIRC.) That's absurd for primaris, but the bigger square bases were in fantasy and look very tight.

moths fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 18, 2019

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That pic almost got me. Good stuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

In Eisenhorn the psychic power of a titan’s machine spirit is too much for a blank and it ends up causing them significant harm. Emps is surely more powerful than that.

In Ravenor, Zael a psychic who turns out to be so bad rear end he literally becomes a grey Knight, manages to break an untouchable's null presence over time and wear it down.

Anything with the emperor though is just explained as "he's basically a god".

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Kitchner posted:

In Ravenor, Zael a psychic who turns out to be so bad rear end he literally becomes a grey Knight, manages to break an untouchable's null presence over time and wear it down.

Anything with the emperor though is just explained as "he's basically a god".

While they probably can't affect him in any way, in Master of Mankind it does mention that when the sisters of silence look at the emperor they don't see the incredible visions everyone else sees they just see a sad dude in a chair.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Being a Null is internal, you have no warp presence and can’t be affected. Using it disruptively is the field of a Culexus or Sister Oblivion Knight and is an active engagement they are trained to do. Those that had the ability just actively chose not to interfere.

Naw even untrained it has some effects. In the novels, Eisenhorn had to overcome his aversion to Bequin because her blank status made him feel so actively repulsed by her on a physical and emotional level despite personally having no issue with her.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DotyManX posted:

While they probably can't affect him in any way, in Master of Mankind it does mention that when the sisters of silence look at the emperor they don't see the incredible visions everyone else sees they just see a sad dude in a chair.

This is really cool.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw even untrained it has some effects. In the novels, Eisenhorn had to overcome his aversion to Bequin because her blank status made him feel so actively repulsed by her on a physical and emotional level despite personally having no issue with her.

It’s even implied that she had a degree of this effect on non-Psykers in the scene where they meet for the first time. Something about her being unable to integrate with people and basically alienating everybody she’d ever met.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

moths posted:

25mm square bases:

32mm rounds didn't exist back in the day, but anything bigger than 25mm would ship with a 40mm square base. (40mm round bases didn't happen until third edition IIRC.) That's absurd for primaris, but the bigger square bases were in fantasy and look very tight.

Oh that's right! They also came with little horde enemies (like snotlings and nurglings)I think I used my last one as a base for the base of my old kharn model.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Yeast posted:

Hell yeah so good

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

For Space Marine players who use named characters from chapters other than your own, do most of you normally paint them up in their original scheme and run them along side, or in your chapter's scheme (i.e. Booley's yellow Fierros).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mef989 posted:

For Space Marine players who use named characters from chapters other than your own, do most of you normally paint them up in their original scheme and run them along side, or in your chapter's scheme (i.e. Booley's yellow Fierros).

Chapter scheme. If I'm playing Not Iron Hands, we're ALL playing Not Iron Hands, because having an actual Iron Hand in with my Not Iron Hands is just silly. :colbert:

Though honestly, I tend not to use "counts as" at all. My marines are Storm Eagles (small marines dating back to 3rd) and Void Knights (mostly big marines dating back to...well, now) and I always play them as successors. I was this close to breaking that rule because Iron Father Feirros was that good, but with the new nerfs I think I can live without him.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

This is really cool.

It’s even implied that she had a degree of this effect on non-Psykers in the scene where they meet for the first time. Something about her being unable to integrate with people and basically alienating everybody she’d ever met.

They say it about Bequin and Frauka several times in Eisenhorn and Ravenor, and they say it about Jurgen in the Caiphas Cain novels too. People don't like blanks, because they feel weird.

Eisenhorn is probably the most inconsistent because he is like physically repulsed by Bequin and then later he's just leading a different untouchable around by the hand like it's no big deal. I think Bequin kisses him on the cheek or holds his hands later on at some point. I think at one stage she's pretending to be a prostitute and she like literally lies on top of him and he just looks at the police searching the room like "Yeaaaaah boy".

He basically never mentions the physical repulsion after the first book, which you could explain as the character not repeating themself because they essentially are telling the story to the reader, but Abnett repeats other stuff so I think he just realised its loving hard to write a pair of characters where like literally one of them feels sick if they even touch.

The bit about the Sisters of Silence seeing the golden throne for what it is seems cool though. Makes sense that like the emperors psychic aura would make people be in awe of his rotting corpse on life support, but when you're immune to that you see a corpse being pumped with souls of sacrificed psykers.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The way I understand it, which may or may not include some baseless assumptions on my part is like this:

Everyone has a natural revulsion for blanks. In most cases it's not something you're aware of, it just manifests as an instant dislike for a person and a desire to not be close to them. Like the feeling you get around some game store visitors irl.

Psykers feel those effects much stronger.

Spending time with the blank, if you manage to overcome the revulsion long enough in the first place, lessens the effect.

The same is true if you're a psyker, it just takes more effort.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Groetgaffel posted:

The way I understand it, which may or may not include some baseless assumptions on my part is like this:

Everyone has a natural revulsion for blanks. In most cases it's not something you're aware of, it just manifests as an instant dislike for a person and a desire to not be close to them. Like the feeling you get around some game store visitors irl.

Psykers feel those effects much stronger.

Spending time with the blank, if you manage to overcome the revulsion long enough in the first place, lessens the effect.

The same is true if you're a psyker, it just takes more effort.

I see what you did there.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Now now, Cain is very clear that a big part of the revulsion is Jurgen's personal hygiene.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but thats just like an instinctual revulsion, its not a NULL FIELD or whatever.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
EDIT : Wrong thread...

That death strike miss le looks ace!

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 19, 2019

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kitchner posted:

The bit about the Sisters of Silence seeing the golden throne for what it is seems cool though. Makes sense that like the emperors psychic aura would make people be in awe of his rotting corpse on life support, but when you're immune to that you see a corpse being pumped with souls of sacrificed psykers.

I think that's referring to the Horus Heresy period, when Emps was still up and around. There's been a number of brief flashes of Emps in those books where people see past his glaring psychic power and see a fairly mundane, tired, old man. Whether the whole Giant Golden Anatolian God thing is completely an illusion, a form he can adopt, or whatever hasn't (afaik) ever been fully laid out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Desiden posted:

I think that's referring to the Horus Heresy period, when Emps was still up and around. There's been a number of brief flashes of Emps in those books where people see past his glaring psychic power and see a fairly mundane, tired, old man. Whether the whole Giant Golden Anatolian God thing is completely an illusion, a form he can adopt, or whatever hasn't (afaik) ever been fully laid out.

He's basically made out of psychic energy the same way a chaos god is, so you'd expect that if you could see through the golden visage that you'd witness his core emotion or whatever and appearing to be a tired old dude makes sense. Kind of like have a high energy spin class instructor who is always happy and smiling but gets home at night and slumps into their couch and cries :(

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In the Dark Imperium novel Guilliman states that without his glamour he speaks in a monotone stilted way, with none of the charisma he used to.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

In the Dark Imperium novel Guilliman states that without his glamour he speaks in a monotone stilted way, with none of the charisma he used to.

Because he's chained to the chair? Poor bloke, he tried his best and stupid failsons ruined it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

The emperor is a loving awkward nerd

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It's kind of his own fault for being a bad leader.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

People say we Eldar hosed up by crazy sex orgying a chaos god to existence but at least we didnt make a giant incel our god leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hihohe posted:

People say we Eldar hosed up by crazy sex orgying a chaos god to existence but at least we didnt make a giant incel our god leader.

Maybe you should have :colbert: