Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cave emperor posted:

Just watch the second episode, it's really solid so far. It also has an ED with the cast dancing along to the song, which is an automatic grade bump in my book.

https://twitter.com/yuyucow/status/1184932267996700674?s=21

This thread has some good gifs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The first simuldub ep of Cautious Hero's up and has Jamie Marchi going for broke as Ristarte :allears:.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh gently caress that's perfect.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Davincie posted:

there's a fair amount of stop motion anime out there! just gets 0 attention in the west
Including the best straight Lovecraft adaptation there has ever been.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh gently caress that's perfect.

As soon as I heard her voice I knew it was gonna be good. And it did not disappoint.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Wonder if the actual show will live up to this trailer for Mushoku Tensei:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx01pn9l-6g

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

Including the best straight Lovecraft adaptation there has ever been.

You got a link or something? I'm curious to see what this is.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

H. P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories which I have only found on pirate anime sites. No idea how to get it legally.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

H. P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories which I have only found on pirate anime sites. No idea how to get it legally.

Heya, this was near the end of the last page so you might have missed it, but would you be able to get me the name of the Russian train isekai?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unfortunately I do not remember the title. I'll let you know if I find it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Wonder if the actual show will live up to this trailer for Mushoku Tensei:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx01pn9l-6g

It's one of the most influential modern isekai, so... probably not. At least it'll have impressive production values.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So what are the chances that in Hataage! Kemono Michi the Ant guy is the Demon king? He just shows up with no introduction. He just knows Genzo is going to make life better for the Demon Beasts.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

That lovecraft claymation thing never got a sub right? Last time I checked there wasn't one or maybe it was a very bad one.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is one accompanying the uploads on the usual pirate sites. Though given that almost all of the dialogue and narration is directly lifted from the original books, it would be trivial to make a subtitle track.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's one of the most influential modern isekai, so... probably not. At least it'll have impressive production values.

Isn't it, like, the one played completely straight that all the modern iterations are loving homages to?

IE: it's the isekai story that all the isekai protagonists mean when they talk about isekai tropes. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 18, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Clarste posted:

Isn't it, like, the one played completely straight that all the modern iterations are loving homages to?

IE: it's the isekai story that all the isekai protagonists mean when they talk about isekai tropes. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Kinda. It's one of the first but it does do actual progression rather than spinning its wheels. And the storyline plays out more like a DQV isekai since he's not the chosen one, but his descendants are, so the story just literally ends with dying of old age, content in everything he's done, and his life gets its fair share of tragedy similar to DQV. Like I think the main thing other isekais copy is just being self-aware enough to try to exploit magic systems and getting a harem (though he actually marries them midway through), but otherwise it doesn't fall too deeply into the standard isekai template

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Clarste posted:

Not really. It showed up somewhere in the middle of the boom, with multiple titles including Knight's & Magic and Re:Zero preceding it. However, the author somehow managed to cook up the perfect blend or something, and it ruled the Narou ranking list for years and years, until the anime for Slime finally boosted that into first place. Maybe this Mushoku Tensei anime will put it back in its rightful spot again!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

darkgray posted:

Not really. It showed up somewhere in the middle of the boom, with multiple titles including Knight's & Magic and Re:Zero preceding it. However, the author somehow managed to cook up the perfect blend or something, and it ruled the Narou ranking list for years and years, until the anime for Slime finally boosted that into first place. Maybe this Mushoku Tensei anime will put it back in its rightful spot again!

Nay! Slime will Reign Supreme for ALL TIME!

Jokes aside, I think it might run into issues since it was on of the first and as such a lot of its story beats might be dated. Who knows though, like it was mentioned, the story is a bit different than what the usual setup has been.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 18, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first simuldub ep of Cautious Hero's up and has Jamie Marchi going for broke as Ristarte :allears:.
I just heard that. It was phenomenal!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Clarste posted:

Most isekai character meta-knowledge boils down to pop culture knowledge of Dragon Quest. In the same way that Meta-horror stuff in America in the 90s generally boiled down to parroting Scream.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Just watched the first episodes of Bookworm and it's really sweet. Main may have somewhat selfish motivations but using her isekai powers to make a flower for her sister was really cute.

It's a bit cheap-looking (the gradients look so bad) but I got over it by the second episode.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Honestly bookworm's world doesn't make a whole lot of logistical sense (densely urban population centers with little to no reading is weird though not impossible), but that isn't super important for the story. It does also mostly side step the problem of say Choyoyu does, where it assumes people only live in a medieval society because they're stupid and by extension assumes all people in the past were stupid except for special visionaries who pushed society forward. Instead it's just giving higher value to the protagonist's specialized knowledge/interests. Which is the heart of dad-fantasy alt-history stuff, your interest in distilling and accounting saves Rome, your interest in trains propels Russia into the world's leading super power in the 1400s, etc.

While bookworm has waaaaaay more work put into world-building than most isekai, you can't really look at it too closely from an alt-historical lens. The later parts of the story lean much more heavily into the political and magical side of things, and it turns out the world of Bookworm is so different from earth that a lot of comparisons break down.

That being said, while it's mostly good about trying to be realistic, having Myne's efforts not go perfectly, it does sometimes fall into the trap of having some innovations you'd think someone would have thought of before, or having things Myne comes up with be conveniently popular. Food stuff in particular. It's one of those series where a simple recipe made with widely available ingredients gets everyone monologuing about how it's the most delicious thing they've ever tasted.

Clarste posted:

There's not really any one solid "original" isekai. It existed as a trope long before it turned into a whole genre, with stuff like Fushigi Yugi, El Hazard, Rayearth, Spirited Away, .hack, etc. If you expand your definition out of anime you can fit in stuff like Narnia, Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, etc. It only really coalesced into a proper genre in the early 2010s.

There were a bunch of early successes that launched around 2012-2013 that were late enough to have some combination of the genre tropes, but still early enough that they weren't getting into self referential territory like later titles such as Konosuba, Kumo Desu Ga Nani Ka, and I Said Make My Abilities Average.

Mushoku Tensei was in that early group, was moderately well written compared to many of its competitors (despite having a few fairly skeevy bits), and sat on top of the rankings for a long time. IIRC it doesn't have any of the videogamey stats most of its competitors have, and took itself comparatively seriously. It was successful as a Light Novel, but one of the reasons Slime dethroned it was it didn't have as much success breaking into other media. Its manga was never near as popular as Slime's was.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kabukicho sherlock still has some issues but hell, i like it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

kabukicho sherlock still has some issues but hell, i like it

Not a fan of tighty-whiteys, but that apron is choice. :3:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

No Guns Life moving things along, even if the love-tap knockout was a bit anticlimactic until they explained the sub-brain.

"I gotta stop taking bullets just to look cool."

The sub-plot about cigarettes was a great single-episode payoff.

Didn't watch the outro until now. Just noticed the Unreal Engine logo which is obviously how they're doing the CG backgrounds so well.

Yeah there's a lot of great stuff in this episode. It's amazing how comicly overt and cleverly subtle it can be at the same time.

On Unreal... It's not like you have to use Unreal for high quality cg work. It's actually pretty weird that the Unreal logo is so prominently displayed in the credits, especially since Unreal isnt a modeling/texturing tool... I guess Epic is trying to push into more Japanese industries now they're pretty solidly in the Japanese gaming industry. FF7 Remake is probably a solid enough sell honestly.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Except Unreal's lighting engine can make even middling models and textures look absolutely amazing.

If anything, lots of stuff looks really fake and synthetic in recent Unreal games because the engine is so good that artists need to 'unlearn' a lot of the detail cheats they were using before, like shading under a character's arm where better occlusion and new implementations of self-shadowing now do it for you. PBR makes good texture art redundant or even counterproductive.

Randomly caught this silliness in the outro while scoping out all the grimy limited-animation shots that are in it:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Except Unreal's lighting engine can make even middling models and textures look absolutely amazing.

If anything, lots of stuff looks really fake and synthetic in recent Unreal games because the engine is so good that artists need to 'unlearn' a lot of the detail cheats they were using before, like shading under a character's arm where better occlusion and new implementations of self-shadowing now do it for you. PBR makes good texture art redundant or even counterproductive.

Randomly caught this silliness in the outro while scoping out all the grimy limited-animation shots that are in it:

Holy poo poo that's amazing :swoon:

I guess. But again, Unreal is only ever gonna be a portion of the actual pipeline. It's great for assembling the final product and plastering it with baked lighting and post-processing galore, but all the actual product has to come from somewhere.

I'm also curious how their licensing works. Usually they just take a 5% cut of every copy sold... But we aren't dealing with sales of a game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kickstart Unreal putting their engine into the anime industry?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I thought FF7 Remake would be all they needed to break out in Japan but I guess this could help do that too.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Grouchio posted:

We're already talking about No Guns Life, an anime. Madhouse would be the ones to leverage good tech.

The very first thing I noticed about NGL was the very impressive CG backgrounds, and they make no mistake in panning them a bunch in establishing shots, but then once they have a 2D character on screen the background is still CG but 'static' so it doesn't clash. Very clever.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 19, 2019

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Kaguya-sama S2 announced

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1185434005182676992?s=20

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress yea

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

How cute.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hope they keep the same staff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1185481195179532288?s=19

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
:pray: please be 2 cour

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

This man was overjoyed enough to randomly start shadowboxing for no reason!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No Guns Life is now no longer No Threads Life

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice :toot:

quote:

No Guns Life
Madhouse | Naoyuki Itou | Yukie Sugawara | Action, Sci-Fi, Seinen | Manga | Oct 11, 2019
Ex-soldier Juuzou Inui has one question—who turned him into a cyborg and erased his memories? After the war, cyborg soldiers known as the Extended were discharged. Juzo Inui is one of them, a man whose body was transformed, his head replaced with a giant gun! With no memory of his previous life—or who replaced his head and why—Inui now scratches out a living in the dark streets of the city as a Resolver, taking on cases involving the Extended. When a fellow Extended showed up in Inui's office—on the run from the Security Bureau with a kidnapped child in tow and asking for help—Inui should have just thrown the guy out. But Inui's loyalty to a brother Extended makes him take the job. Keeping the child safe won't be easy, since everyone seems to want to grab him, from street punks to the megacorporation Berühren, who have sent out a special agent that knows exactly how to deal with the Extended...
PV
Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

2020 is going to give us new Nadeshiko Noises and new Chika Noises, what a blessing, what a bounty