Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I have about ~100k xp to go on the Seattle and I can't wait to get out of this ship. Those turret angles are so :negative:. Still, I've been getting games in the ~70k damage range, and over 100k too, so I figured it's good practice for the Worcestershire sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

Also Puerto Rico got a sigma buff from 1.9 to 2.2 on test so it might get the CC seal of approval now

It still has worse concealment than Conqueror/Thunderer, awful handling, a tier 9 radar for some reason, and battleship (not battlecruiser) dispersion.

It's legitimately a worse ship than Alaska.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Booyah random steel supercontainer.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Patch drops tomorrow morning, will include the Italian event and big nerfs to Hosho, minor nerfs to Vladivostok and Kremlin. Also, the long awaited reversion of the firing detection penalty mechanic!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Those Kremlin nerfs are hilarious, oh no, it does slightly less damage on a shot with AP, and a 3% less fire chance with HE.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

Those Kremlin nerfs are hilarious, oh no, it does slightly less damage on a shot with AP, and a 3% less fire chance with HE.

wait is that it? lmfao loving wargaming

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DonkeyHotay posted:

wait is that it? lmfao loving wargaming

The full notes are:
For AP shells, we’ve reduced the maximum damage from 15,500 to 14,500, and changed some other related parameters
For HE shells, we’ve reduced the maximum damage (from 6,600 to 6,500), the chances of causing fire (from 48% to 45%), and some other related parameters

But unless this somehow includes "reducing deck armor to actually take damage" or "making guns occasionally miss" its not really a huge change here.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Other related parameters us specifically the shells krupp value, which directly effects it's penetration, especially at range. It's possible that this cuts down on the "citadeled an angled Yamato at 20km" bullshit at least.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Very much wait and see on the Kremlin. The krupp value changes could genuinely be the real deal, Kremlins paper DPM is pretty average and only goes into the stratosphere due to the batshit velocity and penetration. Fully expecting it to have no difference though because fantasy Leninist boats are the golden children of WeeGee.

I'm looking forward to these pasta-botes. I expect i'll meet many a swift end trying to smoke-rush torp everything in sight.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Moral_Hazard posted:

I have about ~100k xp to go on the Seattle and I can't wait to get out of this ship. Those turret angles are so :negative:. Still, I've been getting games in the ~70k damage range, and over 100k too, so I figured it's good practice for the Worcestershire sauce.

Same but the Buffalo. I loved the Baltimore and was told that the Buffalo would be the same but more. NO IT'S NOT.

But at least the Des Moines is supposed to be good.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is it too soon to start getting hyped for British heavy cruisers?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

HAY GUYZ ITS ABOUT A MONTH UNTIL CLAM WARBLES AGAIN

Considering we were 1 win away from making it into Typhoon league last season, we seem to have renewed interest in BOATC clan battling. That said, this next season upcoming is Tier 10 and not Tier 8.

SO, if you do not currently have a T10 ship and you want to play clan wars: WORK ON GETTING ONE NOW PLEASE.

The following is kind of a short list of the most viable Tier 10s. If all you end up having is a Yueyang, well, we will all laugh at you but obviously you can still play. We are goons and we will field any group we can manage to get together. That said, these are probably going to be the most useful picks:

DDs:
Gearing*
Shimakaze (situational: spotting and herding with 20km torps)
Grozovoi

CA/Ls:
Des Moines*
Salem (situational: used to win 1v1 or even 1v2 vs other cruisers bow on with HE - superheal lets it outtrade)
Smolensk*
Stalingrad
Moskva (situational: used to win 1v1 vs bow in Stalingrad due to superior HE dpm)
Henri IV*

BBs:
Kremlin*
Yamato*
Montana (definitely inferior to the other two but if you're like on Iowa now then go ahead and grab it, it can certainly blap cruisers very well)

I put a * next to the ones that are probably extra good to have. In any event, just trying to get ahead of the curve here.

toadee fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 16, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I just picked up the Azuma, who at Wargaming thought that was a good idea for a ship? Yeah you've got a huge citadel but you've got gently caress you rail gun as the trade. It's mad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Montana should be ok ish if you have legendary mod, but the others are definitely better.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

toadee posted:

HAY GUYZ ITS ABOUT A MONTH UNTIL CLAM WARBLES AGAIN

Considering we were 1 win away from making it into Typhoon league last season, we seem to have renewed interest in BOATC clan battling. That said, this next season upcoming is Tier 10 and not Tier 8.

SO, if you do not currently have a T10 ship and you want to play clan wars: WORK ON GETTING ONE NOW PLEASE.

The following is kind of a short list of the most viable Tier 10s. If all you end up having is a Yueyang, well, we will all laugh at you but obviously you can still play. We are goons and we will field any group we can manage to get together. That said, these are probably going to be the most useful picks:

DDs:
Gearing*
Shimakaze (situational: spotting and herding with 20km torps)
Grozovoi

CA/Ls:
Des Moines*
Salem (situational: used to win 1v1 or even 1v2 vs other cruisers bow on with HE - superheal lets it outtrade)
Smolensk*
Stalingrad
Moskva (situational: used to win 1v1 vs bow in Stalingrad due to superior HE dpm)
Henri IV*

BBs:
Kremlin*
Yamato*
Montana (definitely inferior to the other two but if you're like on Iowa now then go ahead and grab it, it can certainly blap cruisers very well)

I put a * next to the ones that are probably extra good to have. In any event, just trying to get ahead of the curve here.

Because everyone is bringing Kremlins, IFHE Hindenburgs were common in King of the Sea last weekend, too, plus a few Yoshino. Darlings and Somers were the most common dds by a large margin.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Velius posted:

Because everyone is bringing Kremlins, IFHE Hindenburgs were common in King of the Sea last weekend, too, plus a few Yoshino. Darlings and Somers were the most common dds by a large margin.

Somers I feel is just a varying flavor of Shima, and it's very rare at the moment so didn't really bother with it. IFHE Hindy and Yoshino I think had more viability in KotS, where every match you were seeing 2 Kremlins, in clan battles with only 1 BB per side it seems like a lot of investment just for that.

Daring is a good utility choice as well for sure - very good at torp screening, and very good at re-lighting fires on demand for sure.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Also, goddamnit, clan battles are coming on Oct 23rd, so, never mind that whole month thing. Get your asses in gear anyone who doesn't have a T10

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Got the T5 and T6 Mario Cruisers from the weekly free crates :stoked:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress me, I've loaded the game and now I've got the Tarantella napoletana stuck in my head on a loop.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Pasta bote verdict: :discourse:

But I have no idea how to spec the 17 point commander :iiam:

PT, EM, AR, Super, CE for sure but that's what 5 (7 when at 19) left over.

Torp acceleration? For the memes?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Purr Objectives posted:

Pasta bote verdict: :discourse:

But I have no idea how to spec the 17 point commander :iiam:

PT, EM, AR, Super, CE for sure but that's what 5 (7 when at 19) left over.

Torp acceleration? For the memes?

Torpedo acceleration would be missing the point, it replaces your comedy stealth firing sea mines with comedy sea mines that can't be stealth fired. If you want a meme the increased smoke radius skill is right there.

I think the Italian cruiser skill build is the same as for British cruisers, get the standard 10 point cruiser commander and then take whatever because none of the skills matter (except massive AA and torp acceleration, which nerf your ship).

If you have one of the premium cruisers you could take IFHE and share the captain.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

James Garfield posted:

Torpedo acceleration would be missing the point, it replaces your comedy stealth firing sea mines with comedy sea mines that can't be stealth fired. If you want a meme the increased smoke radius skill is right there.

I think the Italian cruiser skill build is the same as for British cruisers, get the standard 10 point cruiser commander and then take whatever because none of the skills matter (except massive AA and torp acceleration, which nerf your ship).

If you have one of the premium cruisers you could take IFHE and share the captain.

ifhe on the italian premiums means you can't use it on the tech trees, which feels like a waste tbh

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You can use it, it just doesn't do anything except saves you levelling another captain. Although there's a special commander coming next patch so you'll probably have another captain anyway. I might take Radio location on the tech tree ships though, since SAP vs DDs is pretty fun, and EL for the quick swap to AP sometimes.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Whats with the green ships?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

ifhe on the italian premiums means you can't use it on the tech trees, which feels like a waste tbh

I think his point is that past 10 points there's very, very little return on any skills for an IT cruiser captain anyway. RPF for DD hunting I guess, but, it won't cripple you without it. But like, after the basic 10 - what do you take? You can't use DE, the fire prevention/survivability stuff is pretty meh on a cruiser that dies under focus fire anyway, You could take a bunch of consumable stuff like JoaT and High Alert but, meh? MAA nerfs you, AFT/BFT do nothing. It's not the biggest waste in the world if you really like playing the premiums to just leave IFHE there instead of RPF

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Got Genova on the 5th random bundle. Initial SAP impressions are mixed, but I did manage to get an 8k volly on a bow in Dunkirk, which was something. I also somehow citadeled a Kirov with it, do they have an actual external citadel? :o Lost rudder in both games so far, despite Steering gears mod 1.

The patch note about a spotted ship remaining spotted for 2 seconds seems to be incorrect, because I had a Smol flickering in and out of existence in my only T10 game so far.

E: Somehow managed to get 2 overpens with SAP :confused:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know what feels good?

Pushing an enemy Minotaur who's camping in smoke, in my Minotaur. Got to 5km and spotted him sitting still broadside to me. Dodged torps, landed several citadels into him and blew the motherfucker up. THEN I took over his smoke and used it to terrorize his Yamato buddy who was trying to push up behind him.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 17, 2019

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Darkrenown posted:

I also somehow citadeled a Kirov with it, do they have an actual external citadel? :o

Kirov citadel armor might be thin enough to penetrate with SAP, at least it wouldn't be surprising.

You can probably also citadel an Emerald if you hit the lowered section of deck in the back half of the ship, where the torpedoes and catapult plane are. I think it was buffed to not get HE citadeled by cruisers but SAP might still do it.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

James Garfield posted:

Wound up with the basic 10 plus EL, PM, IFA, EM, and LS because my rudder and engine were getting knocked out enough.

Last two points will go into meme smoke I suppose :shrug:

I'm legit enjoying these boats. The smoke generator is amazing but look out for that firing in smoke bloom.

E: and I get 2-3 torp hits a match by just firing on cool down in an area where I think the bads will be.

Purr Objectives fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 17, 2019

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I was only 85k xp from the Worcestershire and just free xp'd to it and holy poo poo what an improvement over Seattle. I got 4 kills and top rank in my first game. It's like an Atlanta on crack.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Moral_Hazard posted:

I was only 85k xp from the Worcestershire and just free xp'd to it and holy poo poo what an improvement over Seattle. I got 4 kills and top rank in my first game. It's like an Atlanta on crack.

Yeah it's almost as good as the Smolensk.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Big McHuge posted:

Yeah it's almost as good as the Smolensk.

I am cursed in good cruisers:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's better at some things than the Smolensk is, it's just that most of those things are niches to the US cruiser line and are anathma to the Smolensk playstyle.

And the other thing is being able to get tons of citadels in a knife fight, of which I have never seen a smolensk participate in willingly (either because they're too busy running away or dying horribly because of tiny healthpool.)

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

Blindeye posted:

Having the exact same issue in the Smolensk and DM. Zao good, Hinden good, Smol / DM a catastrophy winrate-wise. Guess Im just selectively horrible...

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
I have a 35% win rate in Kronshtadt despite a solo cruiser average of 58% (and 62% in Alaska). Some ships are just cursed.

edit: Similarly, my first ever game in Yoshino was a 260k damage loss.

davejk fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 18, 2019

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Blindeye posted:

I've felt that way and I haven't checked my stats in a long time because I took a break from the game, but I think playing high tier cruisers well, positioning is king, followed by knowing when to commit. First rule is don't charge in. Second is always keep looking at that mini-map. Someone (I think here) said once, cruisers become more powerful as the game progresses and a DM with better than 50% health in the late game is a murder machine and I agree with that.

I'm running up the French and Russian BB lines too. I'm thinking about going comedy secondaries on the Frenchies and tankiness on the Russians. Playing the lower tier ships is funny sometimes because I see players making mistakes I used to make. Last night some Omaha charged my Ismail and the player must have been thinking, "I'll torp him," but he got devstruck at 11km.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Moral_Hazard posted:

I've felt that way and I haven't checked my stats in a long time because I took a break from the game, but I think playing high tier cruisers well, positioning is king, followed by knowing when to commit. First rule is don't charge in. Second is always keep looking at that mini-map. Someone (I think here) said once, cruisers become more powerful as the game progresses and a DM with better than 50% health in the late game is a murder machine and I agree with that.

I'm running up the French and Russian BB lines too. I'm thinking about going comedy secondaries on the Frenchies and tankiness on the Russians. Playing the lower tier ships is funny sometimes because I see players making mistakes I used to make. Last night some Omaha charged my Ismail and the player must have been thinking, "I'll torp him," but he got devstruck at 11km.

There are only 5 ships in the game where secondaries are a good idea:
- Massachusetts
- Graf Zeppelin
- Bismarck, Friedrich, and G Kurfurst, but only because the ships are so bad in general that you may as well have fun with it

French secondaries may be numerous, but they're positioned such that only a small number can shoot at any given time, and the vast majority of them are 100mm and won't pen anything. The ships are also very vulnerable to HE spam, and a secondary build rules out taking vital survivability skills like fire prevention and basics of survivability.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

davejk posted:

There are only 5 ships in the game where secondaries are a good idea:
- Massachusetts
- Graf Zeppelin
- Bismarck, Friedrich, and G Kurfurst, but only because the ships are so bad in general that you may as well have fun with it

French secondaries may be numerous, but they're positioned such that only a small number can shoot at any given time, and the vast majority of them are 100mm and won't pen anything. The ships are also very vulnerable to HE spam, and a secondary build rules out taking vital survivability skills like fire prevention and basics of survivability.

I used my JB to do some secondary hits directive recently in COOP. I literally sat facing away from a Georgia bot 4km away, while it focused on my teammate. I sat there and got alot of hits, but the damage never went up unless i started a fire.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Is there any point in buying the non-premium italian chests?
i.e. can ships drop from normal crates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

ReapersTouch posted:

I used my JB to do some secondary hits directive recently in COOP. I literally sat facing away from a Georgia bot 4km away, while it focused on my teammate. I sat there and got alot of hits, but the damage never went up unless i started a fire.

Yes, especially at that range you will never do anything but bounce secondaries off of their belt armor - the AI targets all secondary guns at the middle of the enemy ship - it will land all of them right on the middle of the main belt at that range. Even with IFHE and the larger secondaries of Massachusetts or the German BBs, you aren't going to pen belt armor ever. The other BBs get better using IFHE against cruisers, like they can start to pen the bow and deck of a lot of them with IFHE, but against Battleships secondaries basically only set fires, and maybe when you're farther away dispersion will land some shells into their superstructure/deck and get you a few pens. And the 100mm French secondaries will never pen anything other than DDs, and even then only with IFHE, which is why it's not really a good idea on them.