Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:unsmith: I told Kim that I thought I was sent here by my precinct because I was a gently caress-up, and he told me that he didn't think that, and that if they really did do that, I'll surprise them.

Day 1 accomplishments:
  • Interviewed Hotel Manager.
  • Interviewed Sylvie
  • Noted tire tracks indicating a car collision with fence near lynch site.
  • Examined footprints, determining number of subjects and some distinct features.
  • Located victim's clothing in dumpster
  • Located case notes in dumpster
  • Noted mystery about who put victims clothes in dumpster.
  • Threw up repeatedly.
  • Examined body from ground. Noted strange tattoos
  • Identified boots as being expensive - highly unusual. Located serial number on boots. Called serial number in to station.
  • Shot down body with my hand/eye coordination.
  • Performed field autopsy while trying not to gently caress up.
  • Missed vital clue, but didn't bag body because something was bothering me.
  • Helped a little girl in off the cold.
  • Using above to convince girl's mother to let me poke around in back room.
  • Located fridge, reexamined body. Found what I missed the first time.
  • Found antique gun
  • Examined bullet retrieved from body
  • Easily identified the type of weapon used - highly unusual.
  • Interviewed White Pines Rep
  • Successfully negotiated a "donation".

I think that's a solid first day's investigative work.

Um, how do I go to sleep? I passed a 28% check and got some money for the room (I had to redo that interview anyway because I went back for the fridge). I paid my bill, Kim suggested we call it a day, but I don't know how. All my bed says is that it's not time to rest yet, even though it's past 22:30. Is there some other thing I need to do before then? EDIT: Reloading fixed the bug.

Aha! So that's what happened to my gun. I didn't just lose it. I pawned it, and some woman calling herself "pig" got it. The only one I can think of similar is Cindy(?) the Skull! The problem is that I can't prove it yet.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Um, how do I go to sleep? I passed a 28% check and got some money for the room (I had to redo that interview anyway because I went back for the fridge). I paid my bill, Kim suggested we call it a day, but I don't know how. All my bed says is that it's not time to rest yet, even though it's past 22:30. Is there some other thing I need to do before then?

Did you do the end of day debrief with Kim yet? If not you might have a little bug, try reload or restart game?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I want to praise this games lack of rpgness. I've never found anyone I can convince that their opinion/political leaning/racism is wrong in-game so far. In so many RPGS you go up to someone and be like "your bad and morally wrong, change your opinion!" and they're like "okay, you've convinced me by passing a skillcheck. I will no longer think/behave like that"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Shocked that the vision of the shooting of revolutionaries in the far west isn't an exact recreation of Goya's The Third of May 1808. Close enough that I'm pretty sure it was an homage, though.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Related to the autopsy, can someone give me a hint that isn't too explicit or spoilery about finding the fridge. I feel like I've talked to everyone who makes sense, and the journal is telling me to talk to a person who doesn't have anything new to say about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I became staggeringly rich in the endgame because of two things.
1. A stupidly high encyclopedia stat.
2. This dumb thing:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

hemale in pain posted:

I want to praise this games lack of rpgness. I've never found anyone I can convince that their opinion/political leaning/racism is wrong in-game so far. In so many RPGS you go up to someone and be like "your bad and morally wrong, change your opinion!" and they're like "okay, you've convinced me by passing a skillcheck. I will no longer think/behave like that"
As the devs said in the skills preview, high Rhetorics is not for convincing people: it's for making new enemies and making your beliefs calcify.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

The Bramble posted:

Related to the autopsy, can someone give me a hint that isn't too explicit or spoilery about finding the fridge. I feel like I've talked to everyone who makes sense, and the journal is telling me to talk to a person who doesn't have anything new to say about it.

it might be time for a bookshop curtain call and don't forget your flashlight

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there a way up to the roof of the Hostel? I can see someone smoking up there but I think it might be part of one of the rooms and not the common areas of the hostel itself.

I'm on the second day and I pumped maybe too many points into Inland Empire and I'm starting to meander in more ways than one. I need to mix some paint with some petrol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Bramble posted:

The people at the bookshop could point you in the right direction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Is there a way up to the roof of the Hostel? I can see someone smoking up there but I think it might be part of one of the rooms and not the common areas of the hostel itself.

I'm on the second day and I pumped maybe too many points into Inland Empire and I'm starting to meander in more ways than one. I need to mix some paint with some petrol

You'll be directed up there in the course of your investigation.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm just finding out about the pale!

This is giving me some serious warhammer/event horizon/stephen king vibes. It's very metal disco

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I *suspect* who has my gun, thanks to their distinctive verbal tic, but that alone wasn't enough to trigger something by talking to them, it seems. Pity. I would have liked to have it on hand before talking to Everat Claire - I imagine it would be hilarious to pull it out mid-conversation when he says "lost gun" and go "you mean this gun?", but I doubt recovering it will be that easy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did you do the end of day debrief with Kim yet? If not you might have a little bug, try reload or restart game?

Reloading helped.

The Bramble posted:

Did you talk to everyone? Like a local kid? No, not those ones... EDIT: Beaten, but I was trying to not be too explicit.

Ephemeron posted:

As the devs said in the skills preview, high Rhetorics is not for convincing people: it's for making new enemies and making your beliefs calcify.

I didn't like how it was described on the page because it sounded useless the way it was described. The positive effect it has is as a subtext translator. When someone says something in a certain way, Rhetoric pipes up with "in other words, ...".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I can only stress to the greatest degree that you shouldn't give a gently caress about your stat spread out, because I had 3423 as my spread and the end game indicator had me as a highly physical sort due to the skill ups I threw in there over time [I personally found my stats and clothes made me immune to a lot of morale damage hits, so I was initially more worried about physical damage and rolls. So by the time end game rolled around that stuff ended up being nearly my highest]. Stats are just what you want to start out as, literally keep yourself in the mindset of a dude that destroyed his sense of self. You can make yourself whatever you want to be after that.

I would say that my favorite skill is Shivers, because it just goes places the others don't. The other would be Espirit de corps, for similar reasons. Every single one of them is real real good though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wyhats the best result people have gotten in (late game spoiler) the tribunal? i haven't managed it without at least a few people getting shot, 6 to be exact

Davincie fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 18, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

oh god, at the village i shaved my chops off what have i done.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Davincie posted:

wyhats the best result people have gotten in (late game spoiler) the tribunal? i haven't managed it without at least a few people getting shot

I hit on a really high hand/eye coordination roll and shot the main merc, but it didn't seem to change the end result much. 3 of Hardies still died. I wonder how much you can really change the outcome. A peaceful outcome didn't seem possible at all

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

My only disappointment with the game is that your signature skill really doesn't have an effect besides increasing the max level cap for that category of skills and starting the skill off with an extra skill point. Near the end through my first playthrough with 4323 and rhetoric signature, I realized I didn't hit the cap on my intellectual skills while I had hit the cap of lots of my physical skills. I think for my next playthough I'm going to run a 4422 social/int powerhouse but put my signature skill in a motorics skill since the game throws skill points at you.

I also managed to fill up all of my starting thought cabinet before the tutorial thought, you can get a shocking number in the first 15 minutes of the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What do those little "linking lightning bolts" between thoughts in the Thought Cabinet do/represent/mean?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

How do you get through to Egg head? I need him to do something but I can't figure out how to communicate with him.

e: nvm! literally just tried again and worked it out. can't believe i didn't get there sooner

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What do those little "linking lightning bolts" between thoughts in the Thought Cabinet do/represent/mean?

I think it’s purely aesthetic.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

I think it’s purely aesthetic.

I was hoping that was the case. When you click around on them the lightning stuff jumps around, so I wasn't sure if I was "linking" poo poo or whatever, but I couldn't see a change in stats or skills.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Well I just binged my way through the game with the psychological-cop archetype and went maximum sorry-cop - it was sure an experience. I'm really curious what changes happen with different behaviors/stats. Despite having very low motor and intellect skills i ended up using thoughts and cigarettes and savescumming to flesh them out a lot and bruteforce some checks, so by the end I was kinda an omni-cop because i couldn't handle big intriguing plot hooks like the church being left unresolved. I'm unsure what would have changed if i had gone all in on another type or gone deeper into them - and i'm curious if there's some shivers/inner empire stuff i missed because i left them hanging around 7-9 even though the skill points would have let me go as high as like 16+.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm slowly working my way through this game. I'm about 3-4 hours in, still on Day 1. I'm playing a lovable but dumb/non-athletic doofus who's basically The Dude and it's going ok. The writing is both extremely natural and quite possibly elevated over every other RPG I can think of. I mentioned this in a previous post, but the writing and setting is reminding me more and more of The Longest Journey in that it's got some extremely melancholy notes that are constantly peppered with a great sense of humor. And somehow I think the humor, especially that of my sad-sack character, make the sad parts of the game even sadder. Also, the soundtrack is loving phenomenal so far. It reminds me a lot of Arcanum.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Davincie posted:

wyhats the best result people have gotten in (late game spoiler) the tribunal? i haven't managed it without at least a few people getting shot, 6 to be exact

I got 6 people dead as well, all mercs and 3 of the hardi boys. I have a suspicion that if you manage to peacefully arrest Ruby you might be able to save more, since only having one bullet in that encounter is kind of a big deal.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

I got 6 people dead as well, all mercs and 3 of the hardi boys. I have a suspicion that if you manage to peacefully arrest Ruby you might be able to save more, since only having one bullet in that encounter is kind of a big deal.

I got the same.

Did you find your gun? I'm wondering if using your own gun rather then Ruby's gun changes it.

Failing the check to save Ruby from committing suicide was such a gut punch. I had specced in rhetoric and rolled low enough that it didn't matter. It did make me glad I stuck my "No save scumming" rule though, made it much more impactful.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zikan posted:

I got the same.

Did you find your gun? I'm wondering if using your own gun rather then Ruby's gun changes it.

Failing the check to save Ruby from committing suicide was such a gut punch. I had specced in rhetoric and rolled low enough that it didn't matter. It did make me glad I stuck my "No save scumming" rule though, made it much more impactful.

Yeah, the union boss isn't lying, he can help you find it if you help him with the signatures. I *think* having my own gun gave me a small bonus to the first reflex shot, but don't quote me on that.
I let Ruby escape, but she took her gun with her, I imagine that if you manage to disarm her, you might be able to take the bullets she has.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Failing the check to skip out on the room bill (Early/mid day 1) is the most I've laughed at a game in a while. Was getting a little frustrated after going mad a few times and losing progress, but I'm still really enjoying this.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it's been kind of weird for me, because while my dude initially got the option of picking a bunch of monkey-cheese type of conversation responses, it appears that over the course of three days my dude has more or less calcified into a regular cop (albeit one with a distinctly disco flair for his fashion choices) and it doesn't seem like i'm even being presented with as many zany-off-the-wall conversation options.

is it just that there's fewer forced wackiness dialogue options as the game days progress, or that the game is actually reacting to whatever options i tended to select and preferentially removing options that i seldom selected? i was quite enjoying seeing the potential LOL RANDOM choices i could have picked, even though i never did, but those seem to have entirely dried up by day 3.

also lol-ed hard at the meta joke Kim makes if you ask him why he's always standing behind you. "if i were to stand in front of you, i might get trampled. cops from jamrock have a reputation for moving about crimes scenes rather erratically; we call it the jamrock shuffle. it seems to be based on rapidly bouncing between whichever objects look like containers."

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, the union boss isn't lying, he can help you find it if you help him with the signatures. I *think* having my own gun gave me a small bonus to the first reflex shot, but don't quote me on that.
I let Ruby escape, but she took her gun with her, I imagine that if you manage to disarm her, you might be able to take the bullets she has.

I don't think the game will even give a choice to shoot again. Reading all this makes me think the whole scene isn't very reactive.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Basileus777 posted:

I don't think the game will even give a choice to shoot again. Reading all this makes me think the whole scene isn't very reactive.

Oh trust me, that scenario can go way worse.

Edit: I also failed the second reaction roll and got shot, might have an impact as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Death/re-roll question: Are ya'll just starting the game over when your hobocop does something stupid and dies, or do you just reload your last save and try again? I'm taking a "middle of the road" approach where if a failed check means death, I just don't do the thing I was trying and go elsewhere. But this might be the perfect game to ironman.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Oh trust me, that scenario can go way worse.

Edit: I also failed the second reaction roll and got shot, might have an impact as well.

You always get shot, even if you succeed every roll.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Basileus777 posted:

You always get shot, even if you succeed every roll.

That's interesting. Is it possible to arrest Kaatje (or whatever her name was) perhaps? I imagine having either her or Ruby present might help de-escalate the situation.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I think having the t-500 chestpiece equipped actually blocked one shot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Last night had a discussion about geography with Joyce and now I'm overwhelmed with existential dread.

And had a follow-up with an old lorry driver and so that dread is also tinged with wistfulness.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Basileus777 posted:

it does, if you fail shot one

Also i saved ruby (but didnt arrest, just broke her machine and let her go) and it still gave me 6 dead so i doubt that makes a difference. Maybe if you arrest klaasje?

Davincie fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 18, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
How to make an RPG like Disco Elysium ~ Rezzed sessions 2019

Robert Kurvitz and Argo Tuulik currently live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m8HfpgNcuo

EDIT: Both are suitably artsy and attractive looking.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

chaosapiant posted:

Death/re-roll question: Are ya'll just starting the game over when your hobocop does something stupid and dies, or do you just reload your last save and try again? I'm taking a "middle of the road" approach where if a failed check means death, I just don't do the thing I was trying and go elsewhere. But this might be the perfect game to ironman.

I know people keep saying "don't reload", but I don't think they mean "don't reload ever even if you die". And you can die a lot. There are a lot of unintuitive traps, and you can get bad rolls. I think starting over from Day 1 every time you read a book which is too boring, or sit in a chair which is too uncomfortable or kick a mailbox would be pretty tiresome.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's 00:10 of the first day (second?), Kim offered his car pimping accessories to me so I can sell them and pay my debt to the hotel. Is there anything I can do to avoid selling his things and get a place to sleep? I feel really guilty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://steamcommunity.com/stats/632470/achievements

Judging the 0.4%