Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

As for clothes, the unfortunate and only response to the cheapening of clothes and fast fashion is 'buy used', but I'll see all of you at the local thrift store the day Americans magically get over their extreme fear of 'appearing poor'.

Also it takes more effort to sort through the sizes and so most people nope out at the inconvenience. But you're gonna find the older, better clothes at these places than if you bought new.

I started doing this a few years ago when I realized I was buying more shirts again that were not particularly old because they fell apart, meanwhile I still have like, cheap t-shirts I bought in Hot Topic or wherever like 20 years ago that are still fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Meatball posted:

I think about this all the time. Write some 200 page book about how you were a hard leftist then trump helped you see the light. Say some alt right pablum and bam you're on fox news within a few weeks. Theyd buy the book by the truckload.

Do they? This thread always seems to have extreme fantasy of wingnut welfare but it always seems like a made up thing used to protect a defeatist worldview claiming when someone loses their job for being racist or whatever that getting on fox once means they are a billionaire now so nothing mattered.

Is there evidence that a significant number of these losers actually leverage their fox appearances into riches?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kevinctyler2/status/1184936498514350094
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1185008631839969281
https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1184989664790351872?s=20

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 18, 2019

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
There's a mall in San Bernardino that is nearly entirely abandoned except for some weird antique store and a food court right out of the mid 1980's. I remember the place being huge too and I'm not sure if it was ever completely filled with stores. It just feels ancient.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do they? This thread always seems to have extreme fantasy of wingnut welfare but it always seems like a made up thing used to protect a defeatist worldview claiming when someone loses their job for being racist or whatever that getting on fox once means they are a billionaire now so nothing mattered.

Trump's reelection campaign collected over $100m last quarter.

Dnesh Dsouza still makes money at appearances.

It's a thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dinesh is funny because he's obviously still angry that the respectable media/thinkers rejected him once his second book was published (his first was well received) even though he's likely richer than he ever would've been as a normal pundit.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

He's very sorry about how it was perceived.

:jerkbag:

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Toebone posted:

A new super-mall is opening here in New Jersey next weekend. It's been under construction since 2003, undergone multiple owners, bankruptcies and lawsuits, and was recently renamed American Dream :911:

That place is completely nuts. Indoor ski slope, helicopter pads, etc.

Oh and it was originally called Xanadu.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure what is so bad about this?

I can't really do an explanation with justice, but I also can't think of a link that explains it well off-hand so here goes:

The 'Main Street' style use, especially in old suburbs, works because not only because of the density, but walk/driveability and access. It is also not stuffed to the absolute brim with retail.

If you look at the satellite photo, you'll see that it is cut off from the rest of the world, it only has a couple of access points to get in, and it is not realistic to get in without a car- even for people who live nearby! So, cars are forced into a couple of different places to get in from roads with probably three lanes in each direction- so basically not only is there a lot of traffic forced through an area, but it's a greater distance from other folks wanting to access it.

Then there's the parking: parking on the 'street' isn't really feasible. Because of an over abundance of stores, there's going to be more cars than those streets can hold. Already you've taken away one of the big conveniences to people going there: parking close to the store(s) you want to go to. Most people are forced into a parking area, where they have to walk to the stores.

With a mall, you have dozens of entrances to the structure and you can reasonably expect to be able to park close to the stores you want to go. You have one 'avenue' with 'branches' to walk down where the stores surround you.

With an old/core suburb, parking in front of the store is as limited as the 'Main Street' mall, but there are options to park on a side street or even limited parking behind the store. If you live nearby, walking there is easy as you can just walk down any sidewalk that will take you there.

That doesn't touch on all of it, but gives an idea how they aren't great for people who don't live 'in' the actual thing.

Living there isn't that great either- because access works both ways.

These faux 'Main Street' (or, lifestyle centers) are built for folks with money to throw around. People who shop and live there pay a bunch for the privilege. Once you're 'in', its really inconvenient to go somewhere else to shop or eat afterwards- and the rents for these places are pretty high for retail, so things are expensive.

What's kind of funny though is that since these lifestyle centers have hemmed themselves in to hard boundaries, parking expansion is not possible so parking isn't free.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered

thegalagakid posted:

There's a mall in San Bernardino that is nearly entirely abandoned except for some weird antique store and a food court right out of the mid 1980's. I remember the place being huge too and I'm not sure if it was ever completely filled with stores. It just feels ancient.

I grew up in Fontana and we visited the Carousel Mall a LOT in the mid-early 90s. I don't live in the area anymore but didn't it close a couple of years ago? Are you talking about Inland Center Mall?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Man.

We really get a sense how committed we all are to the impending doom of climate change when malls are brought up.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

He's very sorry about how it was perceived.

:jerkbag:

If he has any decency within him, he'll be apologizing for a lot more than that.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Wow, the head of a "small business" association in Ohio is a racist piece of poo poo? Who would have thought?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dammerung posted:

If he has any decency within him, he'll be apologizing for a lot more than that.

So no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Malls are terrible investments, and were largely used to launder funds through investment.

There's an entire series, both Dead Mall and Retail Archaeology where they cover had bad malls are as retail.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

VH4Ever posted:

What if they bomb an Amazon fulfillment center instead?
EDIT

Amazon related dog taxes

Ironically the dead mall that kicked this entire discussion off, (Rolling Acres Mall), is being turned into an Amazon fulfillment center as we speak.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skylined! posted:

Man.

We really get a sense how committed we all are to the impending doom of climate change when malls are brought up.

Aren't a centralized pedestrian shopping area much much better than individual items delivered everywhere on demand within two days?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Aren't a centralized pedestrian shopping area much much better than official items delivered everywhere on demand within two days?

utterly, in every way

online retail is god awful for the environment

CommieGIR posted:

Malls are terrible investments, and were largely used to launder funds through investment.

this isn't really true

folks like easy Big Secret answers that unlock complex and tangled societal issues that unfold over decades like "what the hell is wrong with the american built environment"

this is also why people still believe in a secret conspiracy to destroy streetcars

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

I listened to this against my better judgment and we're all loving hosed. Her major identified problems for 2020 include hacking and the Russians. She very clearly still thinks it was "stolen" from her, and that the election was hers until someone took It from her.

Anyone but Bernie is going to think like this and loving lose. It's a chilling look into the mind of establishment libs. She still has no insight, or at least isnt prepared to publically acknowledge, what the gently caress happened in 2016

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm just so absolutely ashamed. There was no good reason for him to tweet something like that out, especially now of all times. None.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I miss the arcades in the local mall. It got killed by console gaming catching up I suppose, but gently caress it, there was nothing like journeying to the mall, maybe doing some browsing, and then getting to show off in front of a crowd of strangers just how good you were at Street Fighter

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Dammerung posted:

Seriously, that comment was like half of his non-apology.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185208056667344897

this is pretty remarkable

"It sounds like you agree with nancy pelosi's assessment?"
"Well, there's a lot of things I've agreed with the Speaker on"

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

E-Diddy posted:

I grew up in Fontana and we visited the Carousel Mall a LOT in the mid-early 90s. I don't live in the area anymore but didn't it close a couple of years ago? Are you talking about Inland Center Mall?

Carousel was the place. I haven't been there since summer 08 but I vividly remember the feeling of that place.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

i was wondering if this guy was some secret moderate or retiring so i checked his wikipedia page

quote:

Deep state comments
Rooney has made statements suggesting that he believes in the existence of a Deep state in the United States.[45] In a December 26, 2017 MSNBC interview, Rooney, while calling into question the integrity of the FBI and Justice department, who are conducting an investigation into Russian State interference in the 2016 elections and any possible collusion between Russia and the Donald Trump presidential campaign along with any related crimes, alluded to a "Deep state", presumably seeking to undermine the Trump presidency. Rooney stated there ought to be a "purge" within those departments.[46] Rooney suggested this is evidenced by the fact that there were isolated incidents among members of those agencies who were documented as having been demoted or, where relevant, removed from the Mueller probe for having expressed anti-Trump bias and/or pro-Hillary Clinton bias.

Advocacy of purging the FBI
Rooney attracted national attention in December 2017 when he suggested that the FBI be purged of agents that he believed were "politically compromised", and saying he felt "pretty frustrated" with FBI officials in their investigation of Trump; and by doing so, Rooney is putting himself squarely in the corner of Donald Trump, according to several sources.[47][48][49]

not what i was expecting to see (also, he is not retiring)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

We visited the West Farms mall in New Britain exactly once to find that they also don't have a food court, so at least we know we'll never have to go back there again either.

You can, uh, buy pretzels at Westfarms, but I think that's about it.

Most of the malls in CT seem to be doing surprisingly well, but it also seems like 90% of the people in them aren't really buying anything. The Post Mall always seems to be in an endless state of expansion and it's busy as hell on weekends, but you never see people with piles of bags from multiple stores like I remember from when I was a kid. It's always people just walking around or who are apparently going to one store and getting out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

i was wondering if this guy was some secret moderate or retiring so i checked his wikipedia page

not what i was expecting to see (also, he is not retiring)

he's also from the district just south of venice FL that's incredibly old and incredibly pro-trump, so I'm sure it's still well within the realm of possibility that dude could get primaried by trumpists if he keeps this up

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

eke out posted:

Wonder if he delivered any similar messages at town halls over the break?

Trial balloon and the GOP will start polling his district in a week?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185219643432230913

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Double secured

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Love that capital Oil

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185220552254017537

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Aren't a centralized pedestrian shopping area much much better than individual items delivered everywhere on demand within two days?

Consumerism in general needs to be curtailed dramatically for us to have any chance to stay under 3C at this point, so while yea you're correct, we kinda need to stop buying poo poo in general.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I miss the arcades in the local mall. It got killed by console gaming catching up I suppose, but gently caress it, there was nothing like journeying to the mall, maybe doing some browsing, and then getting to show off in front of a crowd of strangers just how good you were at Street Fighter

This exists still, if you can put up with everything that comes along with e-sports or the vape clouds at your locally owned gaming shop.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You see, it's fine that we abandoned the Kurds to be murdered by turkey because they're terrorists. But turkey and the Kurds will work together to contain the terorrists. That turkey just released. While murdering the Kurds. Makes perfect sense.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Very telling that he's still silent about Ukraine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1185220892286173184

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

empty whippet box posted:

You see, it's fine that we abandoned the Kurds to be murdered by turkey because they're terrorists. But turkey and the Kurds will work together to contain the terorrists. That turkey just released. While murdering the Kurds. Makes perfect sense.

It's fascinating seeing the switch between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist" being thrown overnight when it comes to the Kurds. Three weeks ago they were fighting against tyranny and terrorism, now they are both

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Good and fun times abound if you want to see the distinguished gentleman minority leader sweat a bit and lie a lot.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185220524500234240?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Erdogan means mass murder all the Kurds when he talks about defeating terrorism and Trump is too stupid to know that