Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DS9 has transporter rooms mentioned in dialogue, we just never see them because staff use the ops pad. Civilians probably use the rooms if they need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
My favorite thing about transporter rooms circa late Voyager is that they seem to be completely obsolete. The amount of times a site-to-site transport has been used, on or off a ship, just using the ship's transporter as a relay is pretty high. Not to mention beaming people from the surface to sick bay, which hasn't seemed to have a transporter pad built into it in any ship shown so far.
It's not even a Voyager thing, Menage a Troi does it on the Ferengi ship too, when Lwaxana and Deanna are beamed from the brig to whatever weird sex dungeon that Ferengi captain had in his...quarters? And all the times that a boarding party has beamed directly onto the bridge for a quick intro to a fight scene.

Why do the transporter rooms even exist if the simple existence of the transporter is enough to use it? I would ask why there isn't a transporter pad in every room for quick access to escape pods or beaming officers directly to their battle stations in emergencies but this is the Federation we're talking about, safety is at the bottom of the priority list.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

Why do the transporter rooms even exist if the simple existence of the transporter is enough to use it? I would ask why there isn't a transporter pad in every room for quick access to escape pods or beaming officers directly to their battle stations in emergencies but this is the Federation we're talking about, safety is at the bottom of the priority list.

The narrative reason is that all the characters coming together in the transporter room gives an opportunity to provide some dialogue.

In universe, I'd say it's probably a safety thing. Maybe site to site is the risk equivalent of two separate transports, and also gives more wear and tear on the equipment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Transporter rooms are good for receiving dignitaries.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it can work fine, but when something goes wrong, it's better to have a clean area with designated spots and one side of the transportation is directly in front of the guy at the transporting controls.

Normally nothing goes wrong, but when it goes wrong, hoo boy, crazy stuff I tell you.

No, none of the malfunctions will ever be further examined for their greater ramifications on the human condition, technological applications, or what have you.

There's also a constant inflation of technological ability to do things as the franchise goes along, especially as limits are rarely established, and even occasionally exceeded where they are. Clever writers always want to do something cooler and greater than what came before, so they cut down on things that might slow them down. It's a similar effect to how a lot of fictional series constantly inflate the scale of problems, and all of a sudden you have an exhausting bombardment of universe-level threats.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

curiousTerminal posted:

Maybe it's like how even if there is an escalator and elevator, buildings are required to also have stairs? The transporter room is maybe equipped to still work in bad times in a way the site-to-site can't.

Just saw DS9 The Wire, Garak was awesome in this episode holy smokes. They got a little goofy with how the plot was resolved but the character stuff made up for it. I do think they ignored a big opportunity to explore Garak's addiction and dependence, his implant was basically on demand heroine and he had been non-stop hitting that poo poo for 2 years.

Do they ever do a space drug addiction plot in a Trek? I assume so but I can't recall any specifically off the top.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khanstant posted:

Do they ever do a space drug addiction plot in a Trek? I assume so but I can't recall any specifically off the top.

Enterprise does it. I don't remember it in another one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

TNG:"Symbiosis".

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it can work fine, but when something goes wrong, it's better to have a clean area with designated spots and one side of the transportation is directly in front of the guy at the transporting controls.

Normally nothing goes wrong, but when it goes wrong, hoo boy, crazy stuff I tell you.

No, none of the malfunctions will ever be further examined for their greater ramifications on the human condition, technological applications, or what have you.

There's also a constant inflation of technological ability to do things as the franchise goes along, especially as limits are rarely established, and even occasionally exceeded where they are. Clever writers always want to do something cooler and greater than what came before, so they cut down on things that might slow them down. It's a similar effect to how a lot of fictional series constantly inflate the scale of problems, and all of a sudden you have an exhausting bombardment of universe-level threats.

I mean, I guess one big benefit is that when someone is using the pad, that's one less lock you have to worry about getting on somebody, and cuts in half the chances that human(oid) error will send them materializing into a wall.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I seem to remember the TNG tech manual saying transporter rooms are safer and the transporter cycles faster. Site to site is supposed to be emergencies only. But there's really nothing on screen suggesting that to be true other than the fact that they don't just site to site transport all the time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

DS9 has transporter rooms mentioned in dialogue, we just never see them because staff use the ops pad. Civilians probably use the rooms if they need to.

probably added by Starfleet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

TNG:"Symbiosis".

Oh yeah, good ol' season 1 TNG, kind of a mess from various angles all around.

DS9 Crossover: The sexual tension between Kira and Kira is really great, I was really not expecting that angle once mirror universe was revealed. The weirdest thing about this episode is how everyone kept pronouncing Terran completely different, sometimes the same actor from scene to scene. Terran, tear-on, tehran, terron. There was also a lot of dunking on O'brien, his little speech about how he was inspired to hear a lil ol' O'brien can get the big boy jobs in the mirror universe was too much, leave the man alone. Evil Odo was fantastic, never seen him so happy so often. It's a shame they didn't bring back someone from the mirror universe, though, that woulda been fun.

DS9 Tribunal O'brien tries to go on a vacation but is sent to be executed in bizarro court. Haven't finished it but this is crazy, is this all Cardassian courts or are these some splinter faction of bad justice logic goons?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 18, 2019

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Khanstant posted:

Oh yeah, good ol' season 1 TNG, kind of a mess from various angles all around.

DS9 Crossover: The sexual tension between Kira and Kira is really great, I was really not expecting that angle once mirror universe was revealed. The weirdest thing about this episode is how everyone kept pronouncing Terran completely different, sometimes the same actor from scene to scene. Terran, tear-on, tehran, terron. There was also a lot of dunking on O'brien, his little speech about how he was inspired to hear a lil ol' O'brien can get the big boy jobs in the mirror universe was too much, leave the man alone. Evil Odo was fantastic, never seen him so happy so often. It's a shame they didn't bring back someone from the mirror universe, though, that woulda been fun.

DS9 Tribunal O'brien tries to go on a vacation but is sent to be executed in bizarro court. Haven't finished it but this is crazy, is this all Cardassian courts or are these some splinter faction of bad justice logic goons?

How DARE you suggest there is such a thing as...bad...Cardassian...Justice? Why, we brought the very CONCEPT of justice to the benighted fundamentalist savages occupying the mudball that this once-great space station Terok Nor orbits, and I was HONORED to fill my key role in the machinery of the state. I remember once...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

It would clearly be a miscarriage of justice for an innocent person to be arrested and punished. The Cardassian government is a fair one, so anyone they arrest must be guilty.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khanstant posted:

comedy option: TNG - The Game

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There are plenty of addiction plotlines across trek, I think the only explicit drug addiction for a main character is in ENT.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
People seem to be pretty down on it, but I thought it was a interesting twist on T’Pol’s character

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

TNG's Symbiosis, which coincidentally featured Merritt Butrick and Judson Scott.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was one of Merritt Butrick's last roles too, dying less than a year later from AIDS.

Judson Scott was also the Romulan that Voyager beamed to the Delta quadrant from the past in "Message in a Bottle."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Finally got around to First Contact on our quest to watch every Star Trek thing. Solid movie, fun, but I can see now why Frakes earned that "Two Takes" nickname. Every shot is serviceable, but it's clear that everything was ahead of schedule and under budget because Jonathan said "Good enough! Next!" Also there's a disappointing lack of establishing shots of the new Enterprise. We got a brand new Enterprise and we don't even get some glamour shots? I feel like every Star Trek movie except for this one has a few scenes where we're just staring at the lines and contours of the ship. Oh well, it's an ugly piece of poo poo anyway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I used to think the enterprise-e was super cool as a kid but as I got older all I could think was man the whole thing looks like knives also it fucks the design lineage for no reason

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

How DARE you suggest there is such a thing as...bad...Cardassian...Justice? Why, we brought the very CONCEPT of justice to the benighted fundamentalist savages occupying the mudball that this once-great space station Terok Nor orbits, and I was HONORED to fill my key role in the machinery of the state. I remember once...

Epicurius posted:

It would clearly be a miscarriage of justice for an innocent person to be arrested and punished. The Cardassian government is a fair one, so anyone they arrest must be guilty.

I look forward to finishing the episode after work but hearing it like this hammers in that even on our world there are bad courts and governments even in our world so it's not so whacky so much as it is scary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I look forward to finishing the episode after work but hearing it like this hammers in that even on our world there are bad courts and governments even in our world so it's not so whacky so much as it is scary.

Cardassia provides perfect justice to all for the protection of the public, what could possibly be scary about that? You're sounding a little... disloyal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Animal-Mother posted:

Finally got around to First Contact on our quest to watch every Star Trek thing. Solid movie, fun, but I can see now why Frakes earned that "Two Takes" nickname. Every shot is serviceable, but it's clear that everything was ahead of schedule and under budget because Jonathan said "Good enough! Next!" Also there's a disappointing lack of establishing shots of the new Enterprise. We got a brand new Enterprise and we don't even get some glamour shots? I feel like every Star Trek movie except for this one has a few scenes where we're just staring at the lines and contours of the ship. Oh well, it's an ugly piece of poo poo anyway.

I've said it before. Frakes was the Nimoy of TNG movie directors: Got along with everyone, got everything done on-time and under-budget (well, not Insurrection, that went wildly over-budget due to re-shooting like 25 minutes of the movie on-location), everyone got to go home early, etc., but produced the most bland, boring, workmanlike output in terms of camerawork and blocking.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 18, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Which is surprising kind of, his tv episodes has generally more interesting composition than stock

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Frakes is a big man but he's not made for the big screen. :smuggo:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Someone give me a solid example of Frakes' supposed mediocre directing and how it could have been better. I'm not necessarily arguing, but it's a criticism I've never really understood.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How about the Enterprise-F from STO:

e: *shouting* HELM! FULL STOP! *echoes*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s just the unholy pregnant love-child of the Sovereign and Nova classes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

To be fair, the textures are hosed up there, it's meant to have black defining regions on it like the sovereign that make it look a little less blobby.

It's still not great, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 18, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Feels like they were going for Excelsior with that belly.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Looks like a version of the Enterprise that got put through a giant space rock tumbler.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

I always loved how insanely huge the "sets" were in that game.

I mean, I get why, but I can never stop imagining the captain having to scream orders to the poor ensign stuck over on tactical, or maybe a megaphone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I kinda like the idea of a bigass bridge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like the Alliance bridges in LOGH which are so enormous that the captain has to bawl orders to his subordinates like it’s the age of sail

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

skasion posted:

I like the Alliance bridges in LOGH which are so enormous that the captain has to bawl orders to his subordinates like it’s the age of sail

I was thinking that STO one reminded me a bit of an Imperial bridge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

I was thinking that STO one reminded me a bit of an Imperial bridge.

Yeah, the dais for the captain’s chair kind of gives it that vibe

Though the imperial fleet would never have a first officer or counselor’s chair beside the captain’s. little people can stand.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 18, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
At least they all have chairs so your tactical officer won't be the first one struggling to stand back up during a firefight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Cardassia provides perfect justice to all for the protection of the public, what could possibly be scary about that? You're sounding a little... disloyal.

I can hear this in that smug Cardassian tone with their twisted little smirk and I just want to scream. Going to bed mid-episode leaving it hanging over my head was a bad choice.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A sperm with split ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That Ent F looks fine to me, not great, but fine.

Of course, it can't match the majesty of the J: