Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I'm pretty neutral on the Lion but reading about Crane getting their poo poo pushed in will always put a smile on my face.

We see the split in the Lion clan too now. So to tally

Imperial: Sotorii vs Daisetsu
Scorpion: Shoju vs Kachiko
Crane: Hotaru vs Kuwanan
Lion: Tsuko vs Toturi

Someone said there's a split in the Dragon, too? Maybe something do to with the Perfect Land Sect?

What about the others; Phoenix, Crab, and Unicorn?

I don't think it would happen but it would be cool see this game start with 7 clans and then break apart into the number of factions that were kicking around in Gold edition of the old game. Or at least strongholds.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I'm pretty neutral on the Lion but reading about Crane getting their poo poo pushed in will always put a smile on my face.

We see the split in the Lion clan too now. So to tally

Imperial: Sotorii vs Daisetsu
Scorpion: Shoju vs Kachiko
Crane: Hotaru vs Kuwanan
Lion: Tsuko vs Toturi

Someone said there's a split in the Dragon, too? Maybe something do to with the Perfect Land Sect?

What about the others; Phoenix, Crab, and Unicorn?

I don't think it would happen but it would be cool see this game start with 7 clans and then break apart into the number of factions that were kicking around in Gold edition of the old game. Or at least strongholds.

Hiromi and Mitsu both have a different Imperial heir each, if that counts.

Shono vs Chagatai has been shown in the novella. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tsukune vs Tadaka, or O-Ushi vs Yakamo (lotta options for Crab though really).

As for the Crane being beat on, I get the joy from nerds seeing the popular kids get dunked on but it's beating a dead horse at this stage (not that Tsuko's actions make for good drama). Though I am saying that as someone who is a fan of the Crane, and someone who has seen them get beat a thousand times (though rpg campaigns and fictions).

That said, the male/female ratio with these divides is pretty interesting.

Terratina fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 15, 2019

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Terratina posted:

As for the Crane being beat on, I get the joy from nerds seeing the popular kids get dunked on but it's beating a dead horse at this stage (not that Tsuko's actions make for good drama). Though I am saying that as someone who is a fan of the Crane, and someone who has seen them get beat a thousand times (though rpg campaigns and fictions).

As a fellow Crane fan, I have to agree. It was refreshing, even as a fan, to see the Crane get a comeuppance -- years and years ago. But now it's more like "oh, a new story/arc/set/rpg edition/set of fiction, how are the Crane taking it to the face this time?" and it's gotten kind of old.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'm more of a Crane fan but watching the Lion actually be dangerous instead of a punching bag that everyone else can run circles around of was really nice.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually, there is no amount of making GBS threads on the Crane that is too much making GBS threads on the Crane. Not until the infallible perfect so honorable Clan stops having amazing duelists AND amazing courtiers AND amazing hard soldiers AND amazing ruthless ninjas AND probably amazing shugenja AND the most money AND the best land AND etc.

I have my qualms about what the writers are writing but I'm on record as being very down for Balkanization of the Clans and loosening of the tight, Champion-focused control structure. Makes for a more pliable game world.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That was probably the first and last Crane fiction I ever read. What a douche. I'd be totally down with girls vs the world with Kachicko and Hotaru doing their own thing. Also I get the feeling that this Unicorn negotiation is going to go very badly but ultimately lead Crane back into a more powerful position as that's where they'll find the prince and get their hooks into him.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

SuperKlaus posted:

Actually, there is no amount of making GBS threads on the Crane that is too much making GBS threads on the Crane. Not until the infallible perfect so honorable Clan stops having amazing duelists AND amazing courtiers AND amazing hard soldiers AND amazing ruthless ninjas AND probably amazing shugenja AND the most money AND the best land AND etc.

Oh, you mean the Crane Clan that started off this reboot three years into cascading crop failure, impending famine, the erosion of their influence at court and in the social scene, the Lion chewing on their faces even before these latest events, the Clan Champion doing basically nothing but Be Sad, and the dissolution of their finances to the point of selling off artworks once on display in Kyuden Doji just to try to stay afloat while they have no entrants in the Emerald Championship at all let alone a chance to win? Along with the impending Clan civil war because the Champion's brother is a prat, the only other notable duelist even noted in the fiction started off the entire game a "guest" of the Lion as yojimbo of another "guest" and was primed to stay that way until a story win forced the writers' hands, and the only politician seen in fiction is shockingly incompetent? That so-called "infallible perfect" Crane?

Maybe pull your head out and pay some attention, it might help?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yes but, have you considered that the Crane are actually lame and deserve to suck?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

As someone who has only ever cared about the rpgs, almost every person I've ever met who loves the crane has driven me to hate them entirely because of them. This has not changed in recent years.

That said, I don't think most people hate them for being pretty popular people, but for the former setting place of 'we have the best prettiest greatest everything'

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dick Burglar posted:

Yes but, have you considered that the Crane are actually lame and deserve to suck?

As a Lion Clan player, this guy makes a really solid point.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
All Clans suck. All Clans are the worst.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terratina posted:

Yes, but I can see the shadow of Toku on the horizon, so it will not always be so.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

taichara posted:

Oh, you mean the Crane Clan that started off this reboot three years into cascading crop failure, impending famine, the erosion of their influence at court and in the social scene, the Lion chewing on their faces even before these latest events, the Clan Champion doing basically nothing but Be Sad, and the dissolution of their finances to the point of selling off artworks once on display in Kyuden Doji just to try to stay afloat while they have no entrants in the Emerald Championship at all let alone a chance to win? Along with the impending Clan civil war because the Champion's brother is a prat, the only other notable duelist even noted in the fiction started off the entire game a "guest" of the Lion as yojimbo of another "guest" and was primed to stay that way until a story win forced the writers' hands, and the only politician seen in fiction is shockingly incompetent? That so-called "infallible perfect" Crane?

Maybe pull your head out and pay some attention, it might help?

"This is Crane poo poo posting. I'm taichara...and this is my Masterclass."

:bravo:

I've also never met a devoted Crane player that wasn't an arrogant prick.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Terratina posted:

This is only because Mantis isn't a great clan yet.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tsilkani posted:

This is only because Mantis isn't a great clan yet.

Mantis are awful, what are you talking about. Monkey aren't much better.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

As someone who has only ever cared about the rpgs, almost every person I've ever met who loves the crane has driven me to hate them entirely because of them. This has not changed in recent years.

That said, I don't think most people hate them for being pretty popular people, but for the former setting place of 'we have the best prettiest greatest everything'

Yeah, basically; the way the past stuff presented them was obnoxious and seemingly designed to engender hate. "They're the prettiest, the best negotiators and diplomats, the most artistic, and if they ever don't get what they want they have the best duelists and thus are always right anyway."

There's some interesting stuff to them but boy did the writers not make you want to see it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
One of my friends from our wargaming club ran a trial RPG sessions for us and I really liked the setting.

As a newcomer, though, it's weird to even consider that the Crane were supposed to be bigshots. Feels like everything that was supposed to be their hat was just assigned to someone else before I even came around.

Political mastery? Scorpion ran away with it.
Big proud navy? you mean Mantis, right?
Wealth that makes others envious? Mantis again. Also there was a tsunami.
Peerless dueling prowess? Eh, Dragons win, and iaijutsu is borked anyway.

Speaking of dueling, our group was confused about something. What is the point of Iaijustsu: Rising Blade? It's shorter reach than the other cut, does LESS damage. All it has is the situational "compromised can't defend" mechanic. so i guess it's to easy-hit a duelist that won't unmask?

And why do the iai opportunities let you unsheath extra weapons? what's the point of that? This is not Mirumoto dual-wield style and readied blades cannot be used for more iai.

It's...weird.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Iaijutsu techniques can be used for things other than capital-D Duels. If you're in a skirmish and your opponent closes in too close to use your naginata or whatever, you can drop it and iai-draw your katana, wakizashi, or knife and make an attack all in one turn. Rising Blade is great for Duels, because you can strife out your opponent and then use Rising Blade to crit them, which will win a duel to first blood. It's also very handy for assassinating people--get them to blow their top, and you can iai your waki or knife and crit them.

As for unsheathing extra weapons with iai techniques: you can use iai for more than just Duels, but even in Duels you may be fighting to incapacitation or death, where one single iai strike won't end the duel.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Oh hey, I used Rising Blade to great effect in a skirmish a few days ago. It made me appreciate holding a sword in one hand more. And I finally got to take advantage of my ambidexterity in combat.

A++ technique, would iai again.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Crab just yell about the Wall
Crane are smug masters of the arts
Dragon spout out ice cream koans
Lion would love to tell you about their marine days (HOORAH)
Phoenix spam Fury of Osano-Wo
Scorpion actions are always acordding to Keikaku
Unicorn ride horses, eat red meat, wear furs and ignore all social norms
Monkeys cheese the system
Fox are all furries (there are no kistune in the kistune mori)
Ox are all Kolat
Tortoise all caress their store of gaijin pepper
Sparrow are all hobo Cranes
Wasps are all shite swordsmen
Badger only care about the path of the swole
Cat are all ninjas
Centipede all femnazis
Mantis all yarr harr pirates
Hare all stabby yokels
Dragonfly all gatekeepers to the Dragon
Falcon all ghostbusters
Deer all shippers on deck

Fact is, all of the clans can be reduced to a stereotype and the type of player that stereotype attracts is pretty bad. Edgelord Scorpions who use Skulduggery for everything comes to mind but at the same time, all clans have the potential to be good, even if the Crane are tanking a tsunami to the face or the Lion are given a win due to them having a sad losing streak and then given a win. Just a clan at its base stereotype isn't interesting - this is why the Greats have all the families going on there.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I feel proud that I've gained enough trust with my Scorpion that the group trusts me to cook for them in the field. I'm guarding a spoiled shugenja, she wouldn't settle for rations. Everyone reaps the benefits of my perceived obligations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, the Crane had a big navy? Anyone besides the Mantis had a navy of any significance? I need to pay more attention I guess; haven't been keeping up on the new stories, and had assumed that besides the Mantis most of the clans had little to no naval presence.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I only know the Crab had some boats because the Mantis are dicks and attacked them. No idea if anybody else has anything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dick Burglar posted:

I only know the Crab had some boats because the Mantis are dicks and attacked them. No idea if anybody else has anything.

Not just boats: Korean-style Turtle Boats.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Just to deal with the Sea of Shadows.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

IIRC, the Crane actually have the largest navy in terms of ships, it's just that most of them are small cargo vessels and traders rather than dedicated warships. They still were the ones that won the day during the naval portion of White Stag, because it turns out even small cargo vessels and traders can deal a lot of damage when they're all concentrated in one place and backed by Asahina magic and Daidoji/Kakita troops.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, the Crane had a big navy? Anyone besides the Mantis had a navy of any significance? I need to pay more attention I guess; haven't been keeping up on the new stories, and had assumed that besides the Mantis most of the clans had little to no naval presence.

Again, I'm a newcomer. But several people from my group have played for several editions and according to them, it was a thing. And seeing how much coast the clan owns, it does make sense.

Maybe because I don't reallt have much baggage, i quite like the Crane, pretty aristocrat scum as they may be. Scoprpions are the faction I like least, and even those I can see working if the edgerlord "But see, even my defeat was according to MY plan and me torching the continet is because I'm so -loyal-" angle can be strangled in the crib.

Well, from what I heard the actual worst may be the Spider Clan, but they're apparently not a thing anymore, and few people seem sorry to see them go.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Well, from what I heard the actual worst may be the Spider Clan, but they're apparently not a thing anymore, and few people seem sorry to see them go.

Spider clan was pretty awful. They introduced them to iron out the problems with Shadowlands as a faction but their introduction was awful from a player perspective because they seemed to just do something better than almost every other clan.

Artistans as good as the Crane? Check.
Commanders on par with the Lion? Check.
Monks that are better than Dragon? Check.
Courtiers and Ninja better than Scorpion? Check.
Giant characters with blank test boxes better than Crab? Check.
Fear abilities on par with Mantis ranged attacks? Check.

I think only the Unicorn didn't have a toe stepped on and that was mostly because Unicorn stuff was mostly Battle Maidens and movement tricks; neither of which was that great.

I think my Scorpion dishonor deck had at least 3 Spider courtiers in it because they were so strong.

It also didn't really help that Emperor edition tried to introduce new themes for all those clans so there was like Crab dishonor, Dragon and Scorpion because magistrate centric, Phoenix got the summon literal dragon gimmick.

I didn't keep up with the fiction back then so I have no idea what the Spider actually did in the story.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PaybackJack posted:

I didn't keep up with the fiction back then so I have no idea what the Spider actually did in the story.

The explanation I got was something like," The shadowlands are supposed to be all about power and victory, right? Well, they kept losing to the Empire, so the reasonable thing to do would be to negotiate a way to join the winning team."

This went about as well as could be expected for everyone involved.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

The explanation I got was something like," The shadowlands are supposed to be all about power and victory, right? Well, they kept losing to the Empire, so the reasonable thing to do would be to negotiate a way to join the winning team."

This went about as well as could be expected for everyone involved.

The only good thing to come of the Spider is an extremely obvious warning sign that you should 100% not let someone into your game. Spider lovers should go explode.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I'm still pissed that they stole the iconic sohei look.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Non-tainted Spider Monks only Spider.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qa9hGwb1n0

Multiplayer box expansion announced. I can't complain that they spent another year developing it from when we first heard about it.

I'm curious to see how these deals work in action.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Terratina posted:

Non-tainted Spider Monks only Spider.

I think in New5R that’s just the monks of the new heretical Shinseist sect whose name I can’t remember

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mors Rattus posted:

I think in New5R that’s just the monks of the new heretical Shinseist sect whose name I can’t remember

Perfect Land Sect

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

And even then the Perfect Land Sect has some actual nuance, as a populist revolt fighting against the established aristocracy that you can sympathize with. (So far as anyone can tell they're based primarily on the Ikko movement and its Ikko-Ikki offshoot.) In contrast the Spiders were just Blackjack and Hookers all the way down.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Ikko-Ikki being a faction to fight becomes even more funny when you consider that Jodo Shinshu is the most widely practiced branch of Buddhism in Japan, while the caste system is gone, meaning in our world, they more or less won (or lost the least).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Ikko-Ikki being a faction to fight becomes even more funny when you consider that Jodo Shinshu is the most widely practiced branch of Buddhism in Japan, while the caste system is gone, meaning in our world, they more or less won (or lost the least).

The RPG has been treating them pretty respectfully and as a valid religious group. Their main threat is to the social order - besides being wildly popular among the peasantry, they're also popular among Unicorn and younger Lion samurai, and that plus their collection of armed monks means that when the Dragon and Phoenix inevitably start the fight with them, they're going to be shocked at how hard it is.

(Well, half the Dragon. The other half think it's pretty neat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dick Burglar posted:

Iaijutsu techniques can be used for things other than capital-D Duels. If you're in a skirmish and your opponent closes in too close to use your naginata or whatever, you can drop it and iai-draw your katana, wakizashi, or knife and make an attack all in one turn. Rising Blade is great for Duels, because you can strife out your opponent and then use Rising Blade to crit them, which will win a duel to first blood. It's also very handy for assassinating people--get them to blow their top, and you can iai your waki or knife and crit them.

As for unsheathing extra weapons with iai techniques: you can use iai for more than just Duels, but even in Duels you may be fighting to incapacitation or death, where one single iai strike won't end the duel.

Is there any cool advice for Being Good at Duels in 5e? I'm going to be playing either the classic Kakita nerd or a rowdy Dragon Niten boy in a game soon and I'd rather not get donked on when my deal is meant to be doing the donking.