Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Oakland goons, what is up with the Raiders?

They beat Indy, they smacked Den around in the opener, they out muscled the Bears, but they looked completely flat against the Vikings and KC.

Are they good? Is their secondary just bad? I cant get a handle on them tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
With the way KC has been trotting him out on that ankle I worry about them rushing Mahomes back. Hopefully they give him the time he needs and then some instead of jeopardizing the next 15 years of the franchise for one or two more games with Mahomes that likely won't make a difference for the Chiefs making or missing the playoffs.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

That's awesome that Mahomes isn't as hurt as feared, but how do you avoid coming back and that thought in the back of your mind? "Better play tentative, cause if I tweak this again, it's gonna be worse" and all that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

so as it turns out getting blackout drunk on a weeknight and feeling like death at work the next day wasn't exactly necessary

Because it turned into a pikey funeral last night

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Usually that's is the last and hardest part of returning from injury.

The first time you get hit and get up and realize your OK, and just trusting your body again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
KC should definitely be cautious and hold him out until after the bye

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I dont have any doubts the Chiefs will make the playoffs but they were really trying to get homefield.

now they'll almost certainly have to go to Foxborough after the Patriots finish knocking down the rest of the strawmen on their schedule.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OxySnake posted:

They beat Indy, they smacked Den around in the opener, they out muscled the Bears, but they looked completely flat against the Vikings and KC.

Their defense is good enough to play really well against inferior offenses but can also give up big plays against better offenses.

On offense they're inconsistent but often do just enough. Given the weakness of the AFC they're surely in contention for a wild card spot. They've got a few tough games coming up (Green Bay, Detroit, Houston) but after that it's mostly smooth sailing assuming the Chargers are still dogs

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ketchup vs catsup posted:

That's awesome that Mahomes isn't as hurt as feared, but how do you avoid coming back and that thought in the back of your mind? "Better play tentative, cause if I tweak this again, it's gonna be worse" and all that.

That's just being a professional athlete. Everybody has to deal with recovering from injury, feeling out when they can do what they can. Work with your trainers, trust your body, and hope for the best.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I thought this was a joke, but no. He played his entire career short an ACL.

What the actual gently caress?
There's a (former) NBA player who played his entire professional career without either ACL, too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OxySnake posted:

It's a real mystery, but they play the Packers this Sunday which is probably going to tell us a lot.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalli posted:

It's a real mystery, but they play the Packers this Sunday which is probably going to tell us a lot.

Packers will likely be trotting out a whole lotta UDFA wrs as Adams deals with his turf toe injury and MVS deals with a leg injury.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I was thinking about that, but GB might also he down there top 3 WRs.

I will probably watching to see if Josh Jacob's can continue to look good against the GB run defense which has been suspect at times, but I'm not sure if it's so much a bad Run D, or the Packers selling out against the pass against a few teams.

(See Kerryon going 13/34 last week vs Dalvin cook earlier)

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Packers will likely be trotting out a whole lotta UDFA wrs as Adams deals with his turf toe injury and MVS deals with a leg injury.

Thank god we have jimmy graham to drop passes in the endzone

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Derrick Carr would be a decent KC backup QB

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Time to establish the run.

I want to see a lot of 2 TE packages with Vitale playing lead blocker.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OxySnake posted:

I was thinking about that, but GB might also he down there top 3 WRs.

I will probably watching to see if Josh Jacob's can continue to look good against the GB run defense which has been suspect at times, but I'm not sure if it's so much a bad Run D, or the Packers selling out against the pass against a few teams.

(See Kerryon going 13/34 last week vs Dalvin cook earlier)

I think Green Bay is going to have problems getting pressure and may well be gashed a little bit by the run. The Raiders have the fattest offensive line in the league and the Packers aren't that large along the defensive line. If it happened to the Bears then Green Bay should be a victim too. The defense is feisty as well.

It'll all be on Aaron Rodgers to make something happen, with not a lot of resources. I'm not sure if the Raiders will win outright but I really like them against the spread

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Time to establish the run.

I want to see a lot of 2 TE packages with Vitale playing lead blocker.

I haven't seen Vitale much at all this year. Have I just not noticed him?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

I haven't seen Vitale much at all this year. Have I just not noticed him?

Nah he hasn't been on the field much. He's only gotten 77 offensive snaps all season. He usually gets played for special teams.

edit: Kenny Clark has played 85% of defensive snaps :stare: I hope he doesn't get worn out...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

adaz posted:

Schefter says 3 gmes which is about perfect. Gives his ankle and stuff time to heal too

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1185241733992452097

So now his ankle gets to heal too

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

So now his ankle gets to heal too

There are several reasons I'm glad I didn't walk into oncoming traffic.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/10/18/20921157/seven-reasons-for-optimism-following-patrick-mahomes-report

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vengarr posted:

I thought this was a joke, but no. He played his entire career short an ACL.

What the actual gently caress?

RA Dickey won a Cy Young without a UCL

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

iospace posted:

RA Dickey won a Cy Young without a UCL

RA Dickey won a Cy Young without a second pitch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sweet thursday posted:

Technically he had several pitches before his knuckleball relevation!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Mariano Rivera became the first unanimous hall off fame inductee without a second pitch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So Tom McMahon is the Bronco's special team coordinator who came up with that hilariously designed fake punt.

You know what other team he was special teams coordinator for?

https://mobile.twitter.com/therealhflo/status/1185019174046912517

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I've read / listened to so many explanations of what the Colts were trying to do there and it still all just boils down to 'lol'.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

seiferguy posted:

Technically he had several pitches before his knuckleball relevation!

I remember his first start as a knuckleballer for the Rangers, when he gave up 6 home runs in like an inning or two and immediately got demoted to AAA.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
RA Dickey had an insurance policy on his arm that he got before college. He could have cashed it out when he found out he didn't have a UCL for $1 million, but decided to keep pitching anyway. Dude's life is bonkers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kalli posted:

I've read / listened to so many explanations of what the Colts were trying to do there and it still all just boils down to 'lol'.

please show me them, because what the absolute heck. so they're not supposed to snap the ball, right? because it looks like absolutely nobody away from the ball for the colts moves at all

e: my brain will not rest until this is solved and already i have more questions than answers

Pat McAfee posted:

"The whole idea there was on fourth-and-3 or less, we shift to an alignment to where we could catch them misaligned," he said. "They tried to sub some people in. Catch them with more men on the field -- 12 men on the field. And if you get a certain look, you have three (or) two yards to make a play."

"So, you're trying to manipulate the (receiving team) into thinking they have to sub their defense back on," he said. "We are sprinting to the sideline in hopes to make the other team think we are subbing our offense back onto the field. So, when they think the offense is coming back on the field, your hope is that they think their defense has to come back on the field. As soon as their defense comes back on the field, we snap it, steal 5 yards and we get a first down."

why did this have to happen.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 18, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Colts' plan was to paralyze their opponent with pure stupidity, but they're too stupid to realize the Patriots are always prepared for their opponent to make the dumbest move possible.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aye Doc posted:

please show me them, because what the absolute heck. so they're not supposed to snap the ball, right? because it looks like absolutely nobody away from the ball for the colts moves at all

e: my brain will not rest until this is solved and already i have more questions than answers

why did this have to happen.

In addition to what Pat said, the worst case scenario is you have no intention of snapping the ball, so you just take a 5 yard delay of game of illegal formation penalty and that's that.

But they had an injury during the game, so the wrong snapper was in, AND on top of that, they decided at the last minute to add a hardcount fake to try and draw an offsides somehow?

Anyway, instead the guy snaps the ball and... something much worse then expected happens.

In general a well prepared team can and should show the opposing team something super weird when a 5 yard penalty won't cost them anything, because if you get them confused, you either get a lane for a big gain or get them to blow a timeout or do some fuckup. The problem is when you aren't a well prepared team.... that can happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The GDT went nuts when that happened.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kalli posted:

In addition to what Pat said, the worst case scenario is you have no intention of snapping the ball, so you just take a 5 yard delay of game of illegal formation penalty and that's that.

But they had an injury during the game, so the wrong snapper was in, AND on top of that, they decided at the last minute to add a hardcount fake to try and draw an offsides somehow?

Anyway, instead the guy snaps the ball and... something much worse then expected happens.

and god, the poor guy taking your snap (Colt Anderson, who plays safety), he knew it so fast.

https://twitter.com/ErickFernandez/status/655942188337991680

i guess you commend him for remembering to clench his cheeks and secure the ball

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The GDT went nuts when that happened.

Found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747432&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39

Athanatos posted:

are you gently caress rear end kidding me

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I like how they told him under no circumstances ever snap that ball it's 100% a bluff play, never snap it.

Then he runs out there and snaps it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Athanatos posted:

I like how they told him under no circumstances ever snap that ball it's 100% a bluff play, never snap it.

Then he runs out there and snaps it.

no, they literally never told him that. the intended snapper was out with an injury, so they just subbed in a guy that never practiced the play

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

no, they literally never told him that. the intended snapper was out with an injury, so they just subbed in a guy that never practiced the play

Thinking that's a bad coach.

Didn't the Jets try somethign similar to this with a field goal unit. It was like pathetic jets.jpg but got overwritten by - I think the same year - the buttfumble

e: nevermind it was the redskins. of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4

adaz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 18, 2019

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

adaz posted:

Thinking that's a bad coach.

Didn't the Jets try somethign similar to this with a field goal unit. It was like pathetic jets.jpg but got overwritten by - I think the same year - the buttfumble

e: nevermind it was the redskins. of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4

Jim Zorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
That thread had Big Dogs chat, making it a good thread.