Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

lurksion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoLvZfW7rw
New ROTK14 trailer.

Looks like ROTK11 with a hex grid.

I would be perfectly ok if it's just a modern version of ROTK11 with less micromanagement and more quality of life features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdiicv_DKgw

ROTK X was the best game in the series and the fact that that'll probably remain so for a very long time makes me sad. :(
It has been so many years since that Even game came out and the next one just couldn't match up.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also some more info on the website.

https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/rtk14/system-domestic.html

Encirclements from zones of control/supply lines are a thing now, though I think this might play really weirdly turn based.

Also "council" seems to be more important with options only available through character/council interactions.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Still no updates about the Dynasty Warriors movie.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just Platinumed Dynasty Warriors 9 last weekend. And knowing nothing about One Piece, I just picked up Pirate Warriors 3 because this thread said it was real good. Before I start it, is there anything I should know?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Not that I can think of. Some later levels (one immediately comes to mind) can get a little tedious, though.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Uncle Ulty posted:

I just Platinumed Dynasty Warriors 9 last weekend. And knowing nothing about One Piece, I just picked up Pirate Warriors 3 because this thread said it was real good. Before I start it, is there anything I should know?

I got the game recently and asked the same so I’ll pass on what I learned.

Utilize the hero powers and your allies with kizuna attacks and whatnot. Try to get everybody on your team activated too. Helps with raising crew levels and unlocking some of the skill posters.

Good to pay attention to kizuna levels with NPCs especially throughout story mode when you have the chance. Straw Hats will be fully leveled out by the end but once you get to the dream logs, it can be a gamble who you get as an ally.

Also, really utilize the dash mechanic to bounce around and keep combos going. If an enemy gets this bright aura around them, that’s a counter attack. just mash dash and attack to break their charge. It’s a pain if you get hit because you’re stunned for 3-5 seconds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also just dash a lot in general to cancel attacks. Every move effectively is a short cooldown, and some (like Luffy's grab) becomes a setup for more combos if you dash it in the middle, instead of it being a launcher.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Uncle Ulty posted:

Use your kizuna special to finish off enemy bosses or mid bosses to get more coins.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm mildly surprised that there hasn't been a Final Fantasy Warriors yet. Once a franchise gets big enough I kinda just expect it to be a thing now.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm mildly surprised that there hasn't been a Final Fantasy Warriors yet. Once a franchise gets big enough I kinda just expect it to be a thing now.

Dissidia... exists? That's probably why there hasn't been one yet. But who knows, maybe Koei and Squeenix are in top-secret talks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's bound to happen one day and Omega Force in particular are very in with SE (DQH/2, DQB2), as are Team Ninja (NT/AC).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ardryn posted:

Dissidia... exists? That's probably why there hasn't been one yet. But who knows, maybe Koei and Squeenix are in top-secret talks!

Dissidia is nothing like a warriors game though?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

lurksion posted:

Dissidia is nothing like a warriors game though?

It has the cast variety though, which a Fantasy Warriors game would likely rely on, see Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors. Never said it was a good substitute either.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
If a Final Fantasy musou ever becomes a thing, I implore its developers to include a FF6 magitek armor soldier as a playable character.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Chachi posted:

If a Final Fantasy musou ever becomes a thing, I implore its developers to include a FF6 magitek armor soldier as a playable character.

Vicks and Wedge of course!

Viva la English SNES translation!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chachi posted:

If a Final Fantasy musou ever becomes a thing, I implore its developers to include a FF6 magitek armor soldier as a playable character. make Rydia the strongest character and have all of her combos be summoning something.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

WoL musou attack where they nod then punch their palm, releasing a giant shockwave.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Just give me a Dragon Quest Heroes III. Maybe give me the ability to have a full party with customized jobs.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Can we not ask for both? Why you gotta cross out the other one :smith:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Dynasty Warriors series is on sale on Steam right now (just DW, no Samurai Warrior games on sale).

Ashamedly, I haven't played any Musou games recently (people warned me about getting burned out, and I think that's what might have happened). Last thing I was playing was Warriors Orochi 3 on PS4, though I had only made it to the second or third chapter.

With the sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, but the reviews cite a lot of issues with the port. I played Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, and that was fun, though I was a little disappointed with the character customization options. Still, it's fun creating a bunch of characters/factions and making up goofy scenarios.

I notice that Dynasty Warriors 7 got ported over a while back, but as someone who started out with DW8, is there anything about DW7 that's worth checking out versus just picking DW8 up again?

Also, I read that DW9 went free-to-play, but...it sounds like it's still pretty bad...

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 18, 2019

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Max Wilco posted:

The Dynasty Warriors series is on sale on Steam right now (just DW, no Samurai Warrior games on sale).

Ashamedly, I haven't played any Musou games recently (people warned me about getting burned out, and I think that's what might have happened). Last thing I was playing was Warriors Orochi 3 on PS4, though I had only made it to the second or third chapter.

With the sale on Steam, I thought about picking up Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, but the reviews cite a lot of issues with the port. I played Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, and that was fun, though I was a little disappointed with the character customization options. Still, it's fun creating a bunch of characters/factions and making up goofy scenarios.

I notice that Dynasty Warriors 7 got ported over a while back, but as someone who started out with DW8, is there anything about DW7 that's worth checking out versus just picking DW8 up again?

Also, I read that DW9 went free-to-play, but...it sounds like it's still pretty bad...

DW9 is pretty good, actually. You just have to adjust your expectations. It is not like any other DW game.

No reason to go back to DW7 if you've already played DW8.

I had no issues with the port of DW8 Empires (78 hours played an no crashes or bugs). I can't remember if this game required a fan patch to make an Xbone controller work properly/add xbox prompts.

Edit: Yea, there's a nice mod that adds xbox prompts if you need it. Not sure if it's easy to get, but I still have it so I uploaded it for if you decide to get the game. It doesn't have a readme, but I believe you just put the files in the games folder and run the .bat.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 18, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 9 is a weird mess. I 100%ed it some time back and posted a bunch of impressions of doing so in this thread if you'd like more of a spiel about it. I liked it though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Max Wilco posted:

DW7 does have a more compelling/cinematic take on the storyline, if you're into that sort of thing.

The gameplay should be mostly the same, with a few tweaks and unique move sets missing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

PureRok posted:

I had no issues with the port of DW8 Empires (78 hours played an no crashes or bugs). I can't remember if this game required a fan patch to make an Xbone controller work properly/add xbox prompts.

I use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows, which I remember worked okay with DW8 (thought the button prompts weren't that helpful, if I remember right). There was some weird bug (?) where if I clicked both analog sticks down, it would instantly send me back to the main menu.

I ran DW8 fine on my computer, so I imagine Empires would probably be okay. I just tend to be a bit skeptical/paranoid when the Steam aggregate scores are mixed or negative, and there's mention of crashes and graphical issues.

Is any of the DLC worth getting? If I remember right, I think some of it also get applied to DW8 as well.

PureRok posted:

DW9 is pretty good, actually. You just have to adjust your expectations. It is not like any other DW game.

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9 is a weird mess. I 100%ed it some time back and posted a bunch of impressions of doing so in this thread if you'd like more of a spiel about it. I liked it though.

Honestly, I was really hyped for DW9. I know 'open-world' has become a bit of red flag nowadays, but I was hoping it would be set up where you'd could pick a character and play through the whole timeline of events, traveling all throughout China; sort of like with the RotTK games, but with less strategy and mini-games and more combos and air-juggling. :black101: It sounds like it didn't pan out that way, but I am still interested in it.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Based on everything I've seen, I got the impression the game was just a complete mess. It's got mostly negative reviews on Steam, and I think I saw it WalMart at one point for like $10. :10bux:

wielder posted:

DW7 does have a more compelling/cinematic take on the storyline, if you're into that sort of thing.

The gameplay should be mostly the same, with a few tweaks and unique move sets missing.

I remember hearing that, and I think I just ended up looking up the cutscenes on YouTube. If I remember right, while the story and cinematics had a stronger focus, it eschewed the 'what if' scenarios.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2019

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
From what I understand, DW8/E's DLC is shared between them (at least, for costumes). Buy on one and it works for the other (so don't accidentally buy it twice).

If you're really unsure about DW9 I believe it's now limited Free-to-Play, so you could always give it a try and see if you like it at all.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
DW8 is kinda the weird 'stories that weren't told' follow-up to DW7's straight update to the core Three Kingdoms story. DW8's the better game in pretty much every aspect otherwise, but if you're a big fan of the campaign in 8 and you want to get the Big Epic Beats version of the central plotline, DW7 is worth a go.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

DW9 is...fine? Like, there isn't anything aggressively bad about it, it just also didn't really do anything that made me go "oh wow, I'm so glad to be playing this new game I paid 60 dollars for instead of just replaying DW8 again!"

I would probably be nicer to if it I hadn't bought it at launch

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
I have been thinking of getting DW9, but I’m a little confused as to how the DLC and character unlocks work. Any chance someone could give an idiot-proof explanation. Do I need to buy every character, do I get any free characters with the game and have to pay for the rest, that sorta thing.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Shinji117 posted:

I have been thinking of getting DW9, but I’m a little confused as to how the DLC and character unlocks work. Any chance someone could give an idiot-proof explanation. Do I need to buy every character, do I get any free characters with the game and have to pay for the rest, that sorta thing.

the free trial version gives you three 'free trial tickets" that you can use to unlock the story modes for those three characters. You can then either purchase additional characters at like, 3 bucks each, or pay the (currently on sale for 30 bucks) full price for everyone. The DLC is separate, and is mostly additional characters, weapons, costumes, just like any other version. DLC can be purchased and used in either the free trial mode or the full version of the game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard that DW8 Ambition is a lite Empire version. How much different is it from Empires?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 18, 2019

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
DW9 was ugly, the voice acting was awful (flat, not fun awful), the world was sparse and I hated the control scheme.

Maybe I should give it another spin just to see if my initial impressions were a bit harsh, but I'd probably rather play some version of DW8, SW4 or OW3 or 4.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had to switch the VA to Chinese because I couldn’t stand the English version, yeah. I don’t speak Chinese so I have no idea if that VA is any better, but at least it’s appropriate to the setting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I had Chinese VA for the whole game but some of it is really, really bad. Cao Cao sounds atrocious, like his voice acting is routinely drowned out by music and he sounds like he's mumbling all the time.

Shoutouts to Sima Yi though, who did a pretty drat good impersonation of JP Sima Yi's laugh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I played in Chinese for a bit for 'authenticity' (even though Cantonese rather than Mandarin would be closer to what they spoke back then) but there are about four voice actors in the whole game and so bad I could even tell through the language barrier so I just switched back to Japanese as usual.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Question about DW8E: can you seed campaigns with more than just the custom guy you're playing as?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Azran posted:

Question about DW8E: can you seed campaigns with more than just the custom guy you're playing as?

Extremely yes. I believe you might have to page through the available officer roster with the shoulder buttons - it's been a while since I played, but you absolutely can throw an entire army of weirdos into a campaign, either as independents or as associated forces.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

Chachi posted:

I think Final Fantasy would be amazing for a musou but they can't half-rear end the roster, Dissidia already barely quarter-assed that. If it does come to pass I want a level that's more or less not unlike Hu Lao Gate except it's Alexandria where Garnet is the Dong Zhuo to beat, and Beatrix is the Lu Bu to not pursue :colbert:

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
You can also overwrite existing officers, generic or not. So if you want give Liao Hua something other than the generic officer face, go wild. Or be incredibly dumb and make Jin Zhou Tai a super fat weeb cosplayer of the Wu version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
One of the first things I did in DW8E was turn He Man into He-Man.