Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
End game moment question for folks that beat it. Take a look at this moment, which is obviously a spoiler for a super rad end game moment:

https://i.imgur.com/wzpvj9M.jpg

Did anyone fail the checks in question? What happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pulsarcat posted:

I went from hating that moment to thinking it was the best moment in the game, the first time I encountered the phasmid I hadn't done the task associated with it so it just interrupted the climax of the investigation to provide a really stupid explanation (Bug pheromones turned his brain too jelly!), but then after the characters basically turned too the camera and went "Wow, you really should have followed up on that questline, huh" I reloaded an old save, went back, and realized that moment was the climax to Hobocop's story.

I love how it's at least somewhat ambiguous that scene is about just how much of that conversation is Harry projecting himself onto a really weird bug, and how much is an actual connection between two intelligent and sensitive beings.

On the one hand I don't think a big phasmid would particularly care about the plight of the working class.
On the other hand, the game straight out says weird poo poo is a known thing in this world, particularly the Pale, and the game makes a massive deal about Harry is genuinely sensitive to the world around him in ways no one else is, plus the whole encounter plays off like making contact with an intelligent alien creature rather than finding a cool bug.

And the best thing is, it doesn't matter, either you have the chance to make this ancient and wonderful monster very happy by telling it it's the kindest creature you ever met.
Or you are helping Harry by letting him say something good about himself that isn't false drug fueled bravado.

The only complaint I have is because the ending is a bit abrupt you don't get a scene where you and Kim can show the picture too Lena, I would have loved too see that.

The bug is a metaphor. It's the reason for going on living. Harry can see it even after his bender, but the deserter cannot after the revolution failed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah fair point, I just read the steam page for the first time. it does present it as possibly having a lot more action than it does.

the marketing around this game is pretty bad

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Will this run on integrated laptop graphics? We haven't had a Windows machine in a couple years (chromebooks), but this game could get me to buy one. Plus it just so happens that I'm looking into getting a Windows laptop for my wife since she needs one occasionally for work.

How does it run on below-recommended specs?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Will this run on integrated laptop graphics? We haven't had a Windows machine in a couple years (chromebooks), but this game could get me to buy one. Plus it just so happens that I'm looking into getting a Windows laptop for my wife since she needs one occasionally for work.

How does it run on below-recommended specs?

it would probably run ok but stuttery, there's nothing really graphically intensive here. mostly 2d backgrounds with a few 3d objects rendered on top. i could see some pain if you have an ancient low-rpm hdd

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Did I understand correctly that the boardwalk shooting site is in the Feld building? How do I get inside that drat thing?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Hot take: Kojimas writing doesn't come anywhere near close to DE's caliber, and while he's good at game design I have trouble imagining that Death Stranding as a whole will overtake DE as a whole.

That seems like a pretty reasonable take. Kojima can have sone good emotional peaks but I tire quickly of long political speeches. I never tire of being Commie Artcop of the Apocalypse who has to ignore his liver that keeps screaming about the perfidy of wömen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Did I understand correctly that the boardwalk shooting site is in the Feld building? How do I get inside that drat thing?

look up, or look below

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Davincie posted:

look up, or look below

I'm completely stumped :negative: I'm seeing no interactible that helps, beside the billboard and nearby visual calculus scene. Do I need a specific skill? Or maybe I'm bugged?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I'm completely stumped :negative: I'm seeing no interactible that helps, beside the billboard and nearby visual calculus scene. Do I need a specific skill? Or maybe I'm bugged?

the billboard helped me discover them so idk how you do it else, but theres a ladder right next to the billboard, and a big pipe underneath it that both lead inside, maybe if you get close to those you get a bubble?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Davincie posted:

the billboard helped me discover them so idk how you do it else, but theres a ladder right next to the billboard, and a big pipe underneath it that both lead inside, maybe if you get close to those you get a bubble?

These don't become interactable no matter what, not getting any bubbles, and my perception is decent at 7, so it's either another skill I need or it's a bug

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Unless they unlock later. I'm also locked out of getting my gun, since I can't open the door behind the whirling now.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

These don't become interactable no matter what, not getting any bubbles, and my perception is decent at 7, so it's either another skill I need or it's a bug

late game story spoilers its fairly late in the story, do you have a suspect yet? if all you have is a need to find a shooting spot you may not have all the needed info to go inside yet

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This game. This loving game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Load times are surprising considering its largely 2d and I'm on an SSD

Its my sole complaint so far

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Do you get any reactions to running around without any clothes on?

Are different cop archetypes mutually exclusive? i.e, can you be both a superstar cop and a hobocop?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Are different cop archetypes mutually exclusive? i.e, can you be both a superstar cop and a hobocop?

I'm a Sorry Hobo Cop of the Apocalypse so I don't believe so

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I think there's a couple mentions here and there, though the only one I've personally seen is a reaction to learning you don't have your badge and having the option to check your undies.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

As the hustler ultraliberal cop text says, if you got a side bitch ideocopology, it ain’t no thang.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Yeah kinda got stuck here too. My task is to just check the mural, which is a 20 difficulty shivers check and the vague "keep searching the coast".

Also can't find the boardwalk sniper.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 18, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone have any hints on the drug smuggling investigation? Just where to start. I'm supposed to interrogate the drivers in the traffic jam but I've exhausted all lines of dialogue with all three and there are no leads at all.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can you only play as a dude?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can you only play as a dude cop?

Yes. One very specific alcoholic amnesiac utter mess dude cop.

This isn't so much a game about playing "your character" as it is stepping into the shoes of a complete wreck of a man and feeling your way forward however you can.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Harrow posted:

Anyone have any hints on the drug smuggling investigation? Just where to start. I'm supposed to interrogate the drivers in the traffic jam but I've exhausted all lines of dialogue with all three and there are no leads at all.

Put pressure on the racist driver.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Carecat posted:

Put pressure on the racist driver.

Hm, maybe I haven't spoken to all the drivers, then. Is he the one who sells things? Otherwise there's one I apparently haven't found.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can you only play as a dude?

Unfortunately there is no character customization beyond your aptitudes or politics.

But its still a real good game. And there's lots of voice acting and its indie so I can forgive it, but yeah it is a little bummer.

Embrace your inner alcoholic cop man.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Harrow posted:

Yes. One very specific alcoholic amnesiac utter mess dude cop.

This isn't so much a game about playing "your character" as it is stepping into the shoes of a complete wreck of a man and feeling your way forward however you can.

yeah your character despite being an alcoholic amnesiac, isn't a complete blank slate. while it isn't as extreme as the witcher 3 where it's just varying versions of geralt, you still havea job that has to deal with the consequences of your actions and try to solve the murder. there's still a host of ways to approach it.

but the initial characterization is essential for the type of story it's trying to tell

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

Hm, maybe I haven't spoken to all the drivers, then. Is he the one who sells things? Otherwise there's one I apparently haven't found.
It's the guy standing by the Frittte. You can come back to him after interviewing the driver selling stuff to put more pressure on him.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Harrow posted:

The one outside the convenience store, Kim argues with him the first time you speak to him.

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm skimming this thread to avoid spoilers so I might've missed it but can someone explain what's up with all the "sit in a chair and die" deaths I see people talking about.

This game looks cool, but I might give it a pass if it has a bunch of random King' s Quest style deaths.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Load times are surprising considering its largely 2d and I'm on an SSD

Its my sole complaint so far
This gets particularly annoying with the little rooms that transition between zones, like the office in front of the loading docks or Klaasje's room. Seems like such an outdated way of handling level loading.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

mystery fluid posted:

I'm skimming this thread to avoid spoilers so I might've missed it but can someone explain what's up with all the "sit in a chair and die" deaths I see people talking about.

This game looks cool, but I might give it a pass if it has a bunch of random King' s Quest style deaths.

You don't really ever die if you keep a few healing items on you and all of the harmful actions are clearly telegraphed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

mystery fluid posted:

There is a "health" system, you have a set amount of physical and mental health, and failing certain checks (or doing inadvisable actions) might result in a health loss. You can stack up a bunch of healing items, so you very rarely run the risk of actually dying because of it, but a bunch of the deaths can be humorous, so people do it anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

It's the guy standing by the Frittte. You can come back to him after interviewing the driver selling stuff to put more pressure on him.

Hub Cat posted:

The one outside the convenience store, Kim argues with him the first time you speak to him.

Oh drat, for some reason I thought you couldn't actually talk to him. I must've misclicked. Thanks!

mystery fluid posted:

You have Health and Morale and you die if either drops to 0. You can lose them from a bunch of things, including sitting in a particularly uncomfortable chair or just being really stressed out, but you can always save yourself if you have some medicine you can take--your last Health or Morale point drains slowly to give you time to take medicine.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

mystery fluid posted:

TLDR of it is in the early game, if you have a character build that has low physical or mental health, it's possible to die from taking damage once and you might not have found any healing items yet, or realise you can use them to prevent dying. It's pretty easy to avoid by having some restorative items on hand or just not having your stats/skills that govern max hp at 1.

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok thanks all. Gonna pick it up tonight.

Funny how like three days ago I never even heard of this game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've only ever savescummed once and that was because I really wanted to get closure on Gary's deal

Other than that I've embraced the failures, they're fun.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The bigger issue with being below max Health/Morale is that you have a -X modifier to your Endurance/Volition checks for each missing point. This isn't communicated all that well, you'd have to look at your skill sheet to see what's modifying your total to catch it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'd also like to mention that having a low Phys isn't as bad as having a low Psych, since you can get a thought that raises your Endurance cap to 4 very early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hot take: Kojimas writing doesn't come anywhere near close to DE's caliber, and while he's good at game design I have trouble imagining that Death Stranding as a whole will overtake DE as a whole.

Yea but Death Strandings whole is going to be a completely different beast from DE.