Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hoey, again as a prime example.

e: not mine but they are youtube kitties:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

gently caress this weekend imho

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Olewithmilk posted:

gently caress this weekend imho

I'm looking forward to the early morning rugby

Pjs and a coffee sport is the best kind (then a nice nap early afternoon)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Got me a party, imma drink my woes away and maybe do some drunk dancing.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhatEvil posted:

Well we found out who Pissflaps' alt is pretty quick.

sup bro

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
when’s the vote

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Julio Cruz posted:

like I know this is the thread where "nothing matters" became a meme but dear god the blackpilling that's going on ITT today is on another loving level

Who’s saying nothing matters? Some of us are angry because it does matter, and could be avoided.

We can go back to talking about crisps if you prefer.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Considering that the strongest prediction for what happens next in Brexit is "whatever is the most farcical outcome that still drags this bullshit on for a longer time", the deal passing tomorrow and then being faced with a ticking clock to No Deal Brexit by the end of 2020 (with BoJo winning an election in the interim) doesn't feel that impossible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Why do English police always yell GET ON THE FLOAH GET ON THE FLOAH GET ON THE FLOAH at people even when they are outside in the open. You only have floors in buildings and on transportation and that.

Otherwise it's just the ground.

crispix fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 18, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

bump_fn posted:

when’s the vote

Tomorrow afternoon

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what’s the logic of giving the tories a win by voting for their deal for any labor mp

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

bump_fn posted:

what’s the logic of giving the tories a win by voting for their deal for any labor mp

gotta get elected in a strongly Leave area

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Diet Crack posted:

Hoey, again as a prime example.

e: not mine but they are youtube kitties:

Nice shithead.

And Haku and Nagi.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ronya posted:

but they didn’t vote for mays deal right

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

bump_fn posted:

1. Might help them keep their seat in a leave area.

2. Will help ensure Labour goes down in flames at the next election, and Corbyn quits.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean I'm upset and annoyed about it, it's badly dented my mood, and worst of all I don't really feel like there's anything I can do about it. And worst of all is the fact that Boris is going to be parading around talking about a victory.

I mean acknowledging that this situation is both crushingly depressing and probable is hardly blackpilling.

bump_fn posted:

Not getting Jo Coxed by fascists? I also read on twitter some MP using the astonishing logic that they were going to vote for the deal because 'It's not going to pass anyway so it doesn't matter.'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 18, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ronya posted:

I mean, they could have spent the last 3 and a half years telling their constituents why Leave was a loving awful idea, but why would they want to do that?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how is “yes i support leave but not with this poo poo deal” a difficult message

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
really though, i'm surprised any labour mp would find boris brexit appealing, it doesn't even have the pretense of regulatory alignment and not racing to the bottom that may's deal did

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In case you haven't noticed a lot of MPs only care about themselves.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

bump_fn posted:

but they didn’t vote for mays deal right

it was going to fail anyway, because the ERG rejected it, and if rejected it then one can hardly be less Brexit for also rejecting it

on the CON side, it does look like bribery cabinet or leadership roles have been sufficient for Johnson to corral the ERG

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

really though, i'm surprised any labour mp would find boris brexit appealing, it doesn't even have the pretense of regulatory alignment and not racing to the bottom that may's deal did

kinda the point - we all assumed that it would be the threat of no deal that incentivized people to flip, it turns out the threat of no brexit was far more motivating.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh don’t worry, Gloria received ‘reassurances’ from Boris Johnson regarding workers rights, and he’s notoriously trustworthy.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I also read on twitter some MP using the astonishing logic that they were going to vote for the deal because 'It's not going to pass anyway so it doesn't matter.'

So Brexit is going to be the plot of Putney Swope

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I don't really buy the idea that getting the deal through solves boris's problems. Because it doesn't actually mean we brexit immediately, it means we're in a transitional arrangement with the end result still to be determined.

Which means that the liberals no longer have a policy, because their policy has only ever been "don't do it". The tories don't really have a policy either because they're the opposite, whereas Labour have a shitload of relevant policies still. Also Farage is already saying it's poo poo.

So the next election seems like it'd be fought on "what do you want to do next" and while "boris got a deal" is nice for him I guess, you don't vote to reward people.

If it's between boris "dealer with the EU" and farage "burn everything down no transition raaaagh" liberal "uhhhhh" and labour "plan to make the country function after brexit" I know who I'd pick?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 18, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ronya posted:

it was going to fail anyway, because the ERG rejected it, and if rejected it then one can hardly be less Brexit for also rejecting it

on the CON side, it does look like bribery cabinet or leadership roles have been sufficient for Johnson to corral the ERG

That's not what's winning them over. It's the fact that they can still No Deal at the end of 2020 by not agreeing the next stage.

Plus, Johnson delivering a 'deal' means he's more likely to succeed in an election and be here at the end of next year than if he had failed in his ' do or die' promise.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OwlFancier posted:

Also I don't really buy the idea that getting the deal through solves boris's problems. Because it doesn't actually mean we brexit immediately, it means we're in a transitional arrangement with the end result still to be determined.

Which means that the liberals no longer have a policy, because their policy has only ever been "don't do it". The tories don't really have a policy either because they're the opposite, whereas Labour have a shitload of relevant policies still. Also Farage is already saying it's poo poo.

So the next election seems like it'd be fought on "what do you want to do next" and while "boris got a deal" is nice for him I guess, you don't vote to reward people.

If it's between boris "dealer with the EU" and farage "burn everything down no transition raaaagh" liberal "uhhhhh" and labour "plan to make the country function after brexit" I know who I'd pick?

I increasingly don't think that conservatives / right wingers vote based on policies. Its just a vote for "not Them" (insert Them of choice)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Voters absolutely vote to reward or punish parties.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

Nice shithead.

Poki owns

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

True. He's also concentrated SHITHEAD* type cat.

* Reference: YOSPOS cat thread.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I want to make sure I have these points right.

1. Boris brexit is largely a rehash of May brexit with a few differences that economists have projected would be worse for the UK.

2. Tomorrow Boris will give a statemement on this deal and the attorney general is expected to advise on whether No Deal would be the default position if this deal were accepted and then no trade agreement agreed between the EU and the UK by the end of the transitional period stated in the deal.

3. Tomorrow parliament is voting on whether to approve this deal but first, if selected by the speaker, will vote on any number of the the following amendments:

-(b) Angus Brendan MacNeil: Replaces the entire motion with with revoke article 50

-(c) Ian Blackford and 34 other MPs: Replaces the entire motion with the requirement to extend until at least January 31st

-(a) Oliver Letwin, Hilary Benn, Jo Swinson and 8 other MPs: Effectively replaces the entire motion with text that would ensure it is recorded that consent is not given to this deal for the purposes of the Benn act, requring Boris to take an extension as in the Benn act.

4. After the first vote they will vote on whether to approve a No Deal exit on the 31st with no amendments tabled for this vote.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
lmao at the ERG calling themselves spartans though, it's like they're exploring the outer limits of wank. yeesh :rolleyes:

I'd pay good money not to see that 300 remake

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

this doesn’t matter because every single tory rag will be able to say look his bill passed we did brexit you never have to worry about it again congrats boris

which is why its so loving insane that anyone who isnt a tory would vote for it

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
So, apparently that whole £39b we totally weren't going to pay the EU! is now going to get paid, and that'll be up until 2060-ish. I would've thought that might've come up at some point. :confused:

It's certainly a hell of a stick to beat the horse with, paying the EU for up to the next 40 years, and having gently caress all to show for it.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1185181718489251840

thank god we passed the benn amendment lmfao

just lmfao

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

bump_fn posted:

how is “yes i support leave but not with this poo poo deal” a difficult message

This times a million, other than the 4 or so ideological super brexiteers I don't understand this at all, surely Labour Brexit voters are going to say "why did you vote for a lovely deal that makes the Tories stronger"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Benn act has been passed but the amendment not.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I want to make sure I have these points right.

1. Boris brexit is largely a rehash of May brexit with a few differences that economists have projected would be worse for the UK.

2. Tomorrow Boris will give a statemement on this deal and the attorney general is expected to advise on whether No Deal would be the default position if this deal were accepted and then no trade agreement agreed between the EU and the UK by the end of the transitional period stated in the deal.

3. Tomorrow parliament is voting on whether to approve this deal but first, if selected by the speaker, will vote on any number of the the following amendments:

-(b) Angus Brendan MacNeil: Replaces the entire motion with with revoke article 50

-(c) Ian Blackford and 34 other MPs: Replaces the entire motion with the requirement to extend until at least January 31st

-(a) Oliver Letwin, Hilary Benn, Jo Swinson and 8 other MPs: Effectively replaces the entire motion with text that would ensure it is recorded that consent is not given to this deal for the purposes of the Benn act, requring Boris to take an extension as in the Benn act.

4. After the first vote they will vote on whether to approve a No Deal exit on the 31st with no amendments tabled for this vote.

Bercow is not likely to pick (b) or (c) because neither will plausibly succeed (at least, with the number of signers reported)

(a) only works as a wrecking amendment, since if Johnson has the votes for the bill he could just bring it back on Monday, assuming he has the extension

Kyle and Wilson have proposed that if the deal fails, then the Commons votes again on whether to allow the govt to leave with no-deal (obviously, to reject it). It seems likely to be picked (they claim they have at least 90 MPs signing it) but it also seems certain to fail a vote if Letwin is already in the bag. Both Letwin and Kyle-Wilson assume that the deal fails, in that sense

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 18, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i have to admit labour mps voting for a poo poo bill and wrecking any chance of labour winning an election is a hilariously dark outcome even i didn’t see coming lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ronya posted:

Kyle and Wilson have proposed that if the deal fails, then the Commons votes again on whether to allow the govt to leave with no-deal (obviously, to reject it). It seems likely to be picked (they claim they have at least 90 MPs signing it) but it also seems certain to fail a vote if Letwin is already in the bag. Both Letwin and Kyle-Wilson assume that the deal fails, in that sense

According to tomorrow's order paper they're voting on whether to approve a no deal. What you've described as Kyle and Wilson's amendment was what I had assumed was happening: both votes appearing on the order paper and then Bercow to clarify tomorrow that the second vote on the order paper is conditional on the failure of the first.