Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

ptroll posted:

I can't stand how long the dumb animation on questing beast is. It covers the entire card and most of the screen, so you can't tell if it's actually attacking at first or not.

it's always attacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

it's always attacking

But what if I misclicked :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

that writeup also has a funny line about all the performance issues being partially caused due to magic being the most complex ccg in existence lmao

Is there anything in Magic that wasn't already doable on computers 20 years ago?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there anything in Magic that wasn't already doable on computers 20 years ago?

there's a lot of complex mechanics like food tokens and +1/+1 counters which make it completely impossible for modern graphics cards to create a 3d rendering of a 2d object for more than 45 minutes

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Shandalar never made my computer run slow, and that was back when desktops came with turbo buttons.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The game used to run rock solid back when it was just amonhket and ixalan. It's the cosmetics.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aranan posted:

Shandalar never made my computer run slow, and that was back when desktops came with turbo buttons.

Shandalar even ran faster on more modern CPUs. I was playing Shandalar at like 10x speed happily, accidentally sprinting past towns and getting ambushed by dragons coming outta nowhere like a true child of the 90s who didn't understand that game speed was tied to processor clock speed and it was a bug.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The hardest part of magic for computers is when you generate some bs combo with a million triggers but other than that its pretty simple.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

resistentialism posted:

The game used to run rock solid back when it was just amonhket and ixalan. It's the cosmetics.

It was trash when I first got in to closed beta with Kaladesh but improved pretty fast when they focused on optimization. I don't think it's cosmetics nearly as much as focusing almost all their dev resources on implementing new sets instead of improving the client or maintaining performance.

They're skimping on everything that doesn't directly make them money, to the point where it's indirectly costing them money. I know I've played a lot less than I would have with a game that ran smoothly and had some UX improvements.

edit:

AnEdgelord posted:

The hardest part of magic for computers is when you generate some bs combo with a million triggers but other than that its pretty simple.

This is exactly the sort of thing that should be literally trivial for a computer. Stacks are a basic data structure that can be used for much larger and more complicated processes and data sets, and event listeners are a well understood problem with a variety of good solutions.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 18, 2019

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Having something to detect/automate loops would make digital Magic in any form much more pleasant.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
For those wondering what to craft for Arena/play in standard, poorly optimised Rakdos Unlucky Fried Kitten beats optimised Cavalcade.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shout out to Bryan for finally disagreeing with GerryT on today’s episode of ADL.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I haven't really paid much attention to standard, but these Golos decks seem a bit good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Having something to detect/automate loops would make digital Magic in any form much more pleasant.

This is a Hard Problem for a variety of reasons from technical to UX. Some of the free clients attempt to do it which helps show why it’s difficult in their failures.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In theory couldn't you make a macro recorder where you goldfish with the deck and record your loop to "play back" when you recreate your combo in live play? If I were press ganged into interface design thats propose handling it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Which standard pro tour was worse? This one or the emmy one?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Giant Killer's adventure should cost less if it targets a Giant :colbert:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MrBling posted:

I haven't really paid much attention to standard, but these Golos decks seem a bit good.

they're ridiculous

Owlbear Camus posted:

In theory couldn't you make a macro recorder where you goldfish with the deck and record your loop to "play back" when you recreate your combo in live play? If I were press ganged into interface design thats propose handling it.

unfortunately you can't do that, because MTGO/MTGA are silly programs that sometimes just put the same object into random places on the battlefield - sometimes I can Ghostly Flicker my Mnemonic Wall and Prophetic Prism 3 times, and the Prism will continually go back into the stack of 4 Prisms on the battlefield, and then after the third Flicker I'll end up with a stack of 3 Prisms and 1 Prism for no apparent reason. Same with newly played stuff - sometimes my board will look like this - Mulldrifter, Mnemonic Wall, Dinrova Horror, Mnemonic Wall - why are the Walls seperated? Who knows?

Arena's placement of new permanents confounds me.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
A card I think people are drastically underestimating in terms of warping the metagame is Nissa. When Forest taps for twice as much mana as other lands, putting them in your deck looks a lot better, and she does the usual 5 mana walker thing of 'make a blocker, has a game-winning ultimate eventually' on top of that. Obviously you need cards like Krasis and Voracious Hydra as payoffs, and ramping into her with mana dorks and/or Oko to play defense, but she's a hell of a haymaker.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

A card I think people are drastically underestimating in terms of warping the metagame is Nissa. When Forest taps for twice as much mana as other lands, putting them in your deck looks a lot better, and she does the usual 5 mana walker thing of 'make a blocker, has a game-winning ultimate eventually' on top of that. Obviously you need cards like Krasis and Voracious Hydra as payoffs, and ramping into her with mana dorks and/or Oko to play defense, but she's a hell of a haymaker.
Oh for sure, gently caress Nissa entirely. Even if they ban Oko by some literal miracle, she'll continue to terrorise standard.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Green now has the same problem as Red had towards the end of Dominaria standard where 90% of the good cards in the format are in one color. Picking just one Green card that sees play and saying its broken is probably correct but its masking a bigger problem.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Green now has the same problem as Red had towards the end of Dominaria standard where 90% of the good cards in the format are in one color. Picking just one Green card that sees play and saying its broken is probably correct but its masking a bigger problem.
What was better than red? I played only red but never got past Diamond in ranked.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

What was better than red? I played only red but never got past Diamond in ranked.

Nothing was better than Red in Kaladesh-Dominaria standard because you got to curve bomat courier into heart of kiran into goblin chainwhirler into Hazoret into glorybringer and your opponent ate poo poo. There were also Teferi, HoD decks but they never managed to topple the R/x decks and mostly preyed on everything else.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AnEdgelord posted:

Nothing was better than Red in Kaladesh-Dominaria standard because you got to curve bomat courier into heart of kiran into goblin chainwhirler into Hazoret into glorybringer and your opponent ate poo poo. There were also Teferi, HoD decks but they never managed to topple the R/x decks and mostly preyed on everything else.

Yeah I don't think I had Kaladesh when it was on Arena.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

No. Or rather, you could, but that would be massively insufficient.

Hellasu's issue is sort of beside the point, they could do better object tracking/permanence and that would be fine. You could have each card in your deck have a permanent index, and check that to see if it's the same card regardless of zone, for instance. Indeterminate combos or stuff like Nexus/Kethis that involve different copies of cards or tokens are harder, but could be excepted. Or handled with an increase of complexity in code and either leaky abstractions or complexity in UI.

The main issues mostly have to do with going infinite in finite space. The way MTG handles infinite is you pick a number. The way a computer has to handle that is there is a max number. So everyone who isn't lazy picks the max number. But if the opponent then also has an infinite combo, they need to be able to go so over the top of the number that was picked that they can still otk. What if the first combo is copying infinite soul wardens? Now you're scaling exponentially, and scaling triggers exponentially. It's a mirror match. How are you storing these numbers? How are you displaying them? How are the client and UI handling the vast numbers of tokens? Oh, and anyone can respond at any point in this combo - N iterations, M triggers, etc. You also have to do unique stuff with maintaining and communicating state to avoid sending millions or billions of calls to and from the server. Does that open up client side hacks?

Edit: And that's assuming a smarter system that shortcuts to critical states instead of iterating through the loops. Naive macros with iteration have a huge number of other issues to deal with like object instantiation and cleanup, space issues, and time to execute the loop.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 18, 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

fadam posted:

Shout out to Bryan for finally disagreeing with GerryT on today’s episode of ADL.

Big fan of the AD but yeah that has been my main complaint since Bryan joined up. Bryan will sort of soft disagree, listen to Gerry’s argument and immediately be convinced to recant his position - even when Gerry’s argument has been a “yeah you’re wrong” with nothing to back it up. Whereas Gerry almost never can be convinced by any arguments on the podcast even when he is presented with a valid argument.

Sickening posted:

Which standard pro tour was worse? This one or the emmy one?

That or that pro tour where RB / mono red was running the tables and they broke the metagame down to red black aggro, red black midrange, red black vehicles, mono red, and big red where 90% of the non-land cards were the same between the decks - all because they wanted it to not seem like one strategy was dominating

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think every format besides pauper needs some good plansewalker removal. Right now they have become just too strong and almost never have a downside to just throwing them down besides counterspells. It's just ridiculous.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Amusingly I built a rig so I could do full-detail setting VR experiences and play new AAA games at QHD 60+ FPS... and I guess as a bonus it can handle digital wizard poker without a problem.

Also amusingly, I have the same computer setup and I was unable to play my Omni Flood deck last season. :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kjermzs posted:

Also amusingly, I have the same computer setup and I was unable to play my Omni Flood deck last season. :(

Only with a WotC digital offering could a computer card game be the next "yeah but will it run Crysis?"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

neaden posted:

I think every format besides pauper needs some good plansewalker removal. Right now they have become just too strong and almost never have a downside to just throwing them down besides counterspells. It's just ridiculous.

Agreed, and good PW removal means better than a 1-for-1, since PWs can always activate and get value before being removed. A big mana advantage for tempo is sometimes enough, but also kind of impossible to get against the 3 mana walkers. I suppose Questing Beast sort of qualifies, mostly for non green walkers though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Nope Rod 1
Artifact
All planeswalkers lose all abilities.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Oko's Defeat GB
Destroy target green or blue creature or planeswalker.
If it was an Oko Planeswalker, destroy all food and Elk your opponent controls, then exile all Elk you control and return those cards to the battlefield under you control.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 18, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

neaden posted:

I don't think the issue is the removal, the issue is that every planeswalker just shits out value to an extent that unless you can counter it or answer it immediately that you're going to be behind, and the decks that run the strongest planeswalkers can overwhelmingly capitalize on that fact. I mean, look at what's in Standard right now:

- Murderous Rider
- Fry
- Noxious Grasp
- Devout Decree
- Angrath's Rampage
- Assassin's Trophy
- Bedevil
- Elderspell

Like someone else said, there's just a critical mass in Green right now of good planeswalkers and value creatures with synergistic effects that is hard for anything else to punch through.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 18, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like Questing Beast was built to be the post-WAR planeswalker answer that gets you value instead of just 1-for-1'ing, but they couldn't print it and also wreck their biggest promo card (Oko) so they had to make Questing Beast unable to instantly nuke Oko and instead pushed it by loading ALL THE KEYWORDS on it.

Like imagine if Oko only got up to 4 loyalty. If you're on the play you could immediately kill him with a Questing Beast that busted past their chump blockers and wrecked Oko. That's a phenomenal position to be in, and would wreck Oko decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Questing beast should just be able to destory a planeswalker when it deals damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
PWs have seemed like the cards you aim for to seal the deal for a win. Like a midrange deck if you don't have an answer when they come down you're screwed.

I suppose I'm a midrange creature player and I can't handle because they need answers immediately.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The thing that really amazes me is how few plansewalkers from before WAR see any Modern or Legacy play now. It's pretty much big Karn, JTMS, and Ugin? For a permanent type that has existed for 12 years now I think there has been some clear powercreep.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's a few that hang on for second tier decks. 3 mana lili is still around, I've seen a few gideons, and sorin solemn visitor and the elspeths see some play in tokens.

narset, t3f3ri and 4 mana karn from war of the spark seem miles ahead of everything now though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

neaden posted:

The thing that really amazes me is how few plansewalkers from before WAR see any Modern or Legacy play now. It's pretty much big Karn, JTMS, and Ugin? For a permanent type that has existed for 12 years now I think there has been some clear powercreep.

There's a certain 3 mana walker missing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Turn around out 3 mana walkers are really loving dangerous (Karn counts too) and they printed 6 really really good ones