Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Weedle posted:

Selling any new computer with a platter drive in 2019 should be a jailable offense.

Agreed and charging more than $100 for the option (especially if its less than 256GB) should get you a time extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

16“ MBP leaked in the 10.15.1 beta, unsurprisingly its the same as the old 15“ but with thinner and now oddly asymmetrical bezels.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/18/16-inch-macbook-pro-macos-10-15-1/

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
All these leaks but no event announced?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There's nothing wrong with 17" stop teasing apple. No one gives a poo poo about the size of the previous 17" MBP.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hopefully it doesn’t suck or a lot of us sitting on 2015s and older might be forced to wean off macOS.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

There's nothing wrong with 17" stop teasing apple. No one gives a poo poo about the size of the previous 17" MBP.
17" laptops suck rear end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

American McGay posted:

17" laptops suck rear end.

Not the 17" macbook pro.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I have a feeling they're gonna skip having an event for the 16-inch rMBP; they'll send out press releases on Tuesday, the Store gets closed for 20 minutes then comes up again with another MacBook Pro in the model choices, maybe someone on CNN will mention it in passing.

Kinda makes sense if you look at it as if Apple were still concerned about the ego of Jony Ive.

"Hey folks here's a laptop that WASN'T designed by that dopey limey, buy it now it's great!"

eames
May 9, 2009

Pivo posted:

Hopefully it doesn’t suck or a lot of us sitting on 2015s and older might be forced to wean off macOS.
+1

I think it’s gonna suck but I also think we’ll see a major redesign next year, probably in form of a stupid expensive halo product that will trickle down over time. There was talk about a miniLED Display, going back to scissor hinge keyboards, redesigned cooling, etc. Hey maybe they’ll take note from Microsoft and make the SSD removable.

This upcoming 16“ is not going to be that, it’s just a refreshed 15“ with an upgraded screen and probably revision n+1 of the butterfly keyboard.

Shaocaholica posted:

Not the 17" macbook pro.

Yeah it did. I had a 17“ Powerbook G4 and MBP, the matte 1200p screen on the latter still looks good. Current 14nm chips could really use the extra room for cooling too.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 18, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I have a feeling they're gonna skip having an event for the 16-inch rMBP; they'll send out press releases on Tuesday, the Store gets closed for 20 minutes then comes up again with another MacBook Pro in the model choices, maybe someone on CNN will mention it in passing.

Kinda makes sense if you look at it as if Apple were still concerned about the ego of Jony Ive.

"Hey folks here's a laptop that WASN'T designed by that dopey limey, buy it now it's great!"

You're the only person obsessing over this kind of stuff. Did Ive design the latest iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPad Pros? Does anybody really care?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Regardless of what the 16" will or will not be, smart money waits for gen 2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eames posted:

16“ MBP leaked in the 10.15.1 beta, unsurprisingly its the same as the old 15“ but with thinner and now oddly asymmetrical bezels.

poo poo, I thought you meant asymmetrical left/right

Wouldn’t surprise me at this point really

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pivo posted:

Regardless of what the 16" will or will not be, smart money waits for gen 2.

the gen2 of the macbook pro was a long time ago

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m just waiting for the touchbar to die.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

:yeah:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just don’t hold your breath at the same time.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

somebody pointed out that the leaked icon shows hints of a separate ESC button, almost impossible to see at that angle but that'd be a decent compromise if true.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I dunno, I have a few friends now who have had dead touchbars, doesn't seem like you have to wait long!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Dr. Despair posted:

I dunno, I have a few friends now who have had dead touchbars, doesn't seem like you have to wait long!

On the other side, I have three 15” MBPs and they’re doing fine. Two for work, one for personal.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but GoldenChaos-BTT makes the TouchBar awesome and I couldn't imagine not having one at this point (admittedly, I also have an entire set of turbo keyboard shortcuts that also let me switch my volume/brightness/media right from the keyboard, too).

https://community.folivora.ai/t/goldenchaos-btt-the-complete-touch-bar-ui-replacement/1281

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 19, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pivo posted:

I’m actually pretty excited to eventually downsize to a quad (or ideally hex-?) core 13” model once they get the keyboard fixed. Otherwise it seems like a good upgrade if you carry your old 15” MBP everywhere.

I kinda miss the existence of the 12” MacBook as a spiritual successor to my OG 2007 polycarbonate BlackBook, but the 13” space gray MacBook Pro is like if the BlackBook and my 2013 15” MBP did a fusion dance (very good) and got slapped with a bullshit keyboard (very bad).

I’d much rather have 8+ cores in a desktop and go more for portability in a notebook. If the Air came with a quad core I’d get that. If the 15” gets bigger with the screen size increase then I probably won’t want one. Mixed thoughts if it means the 13” eventually gets upped to 14” too. I’d rather they shrink the chassis around the 13” screen.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 19, 2019

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but GoldenChaos-BTT makes the TouchBar awesome and I couldn't imagine not having one at this point (admittedly, I also have an entire set of turbo keyboard shortcuts that also let me switch my volume/brightness/media right from the keyboard, too).

https://community.folivora.ai/t/goldenchaos-btt-the-complete-touch-bar-ui-replacement/1281

i totally agree. i was on the touchbar hate train until i tried this and now i actually use it all the time !!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pram posted:

i totally agree. i was on the touchbar hate train until i tried this and now i actually use it all the time !!!

Ok this is actually cool and good

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If they just included a physical row of ESC + F-keys below the TouchBar it would be fine IMO

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just got my iMac 27 5k back from repair at Apple store
(Bad drive) and I get home and the stupid thing has weird light and dark splotches all along the bottom of the screen. Guess I gotta lug that bitch back down. Good times.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Feenix posted:

Just got my iMac 27 5k back from repair at Apple store
(Bad drive) and I get home and the stupid thing has weird light and dark splotches all along the bottom of the screen. Guess I gotta lug that bitch back down. Good times.

They didn’t power it on at the store when you picked it up?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

eames posted:

I’m surprised Apple isn’t going with Ice Lake. The integrated GPU performance is definitely going to be a noticeable improvement.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shaocaholica posted:

They didn’t power it on at the store when you picked it up?

No. And that’s on me, I guess. But no they didn’t.

Also, fwiw I swear those stores are lit to hide flaws. :/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Feenix posted:

No. And that’s on me, I guess. But no they didn’t.

Also, fwiw I swear those stores are lit to hide flaws. :/

If you power on at pickup and it’s not 100% then you have them by the balls.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What does it mean to have them by the balls? When my iMac wasn't completely fixed they just apologized and said they would call me when it's done which they did the next day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

What does it mean to have them by the balls? When my iMac wasn't completely fixed they just apologized and said they would call me when it's done which they did the next day.

You had them by the balls!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I had them by the balls I'd expect some old ipod socks

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

eames posted:

Are we sure that's an actual 16 inch MacBook Pro and not simply MacBookPro16,1 aka model number 16? (I think the current ones are MacBookPro15,1 aka model number 15).

Gay Retard posted:

Will give this a try. (EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.)

Is there a way to turn it off for certain apps? I definitely need the function keys for, say, Xcode.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Small White Dragon posted:

EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days

Like. At all? You only use Apple apps?

eames
May 9, 2009

(EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.)

That's funny. I have no concerns downloading experimental software from github, but I feel rather reluctant to install first-party updates on my Mac these days :eng101:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Tab8715 posted:

I’m surprised Apple isn’t going with Ice Lake. The integrated GPU performance is definitely going to be a noticeable improvement.

There's no 45 watt six or eight core Ice Lake processors to use. Ice lake is currently available in the 15 watt range usually used in Macbook Airs.

Has anyone gotten their keyboards replaced on their 13 inch models lately and know what the turnaround time is? Thinking about replacing the keyboard in my 2018 and then selling it when the 14 inch comes out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are we sure that's an actual 16 inch MacBook Pro and not simply MacBookPro16,1 aka model number 16? (I think the current ones are MacBookPro15,1 aka model number 15).

Will give this a try. (EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.)

Is there a way to turn it off for certain apps? I definitely need the function keys for, say, Xcode.

BTT is insanely full-featured and available on the Mac App Store, you can modify your trackpad gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and even enable WIndows-like snapping to the left/right of the screen. You can select what you want the touchbar to display on a per-app basis, so yes, you can have Xcode only display the function row.

I even have my BTT setup for custom app gestures in Chrome/Safari - 3 finger swipe left/right to switch between tabs, 3 finger swipe down to close a tab, and 3 finger tab up to open a tab. I also set it up to triple click to the touchpad to open links in a new tab, too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel rather reluctant to install third-party apps on my Mac these days.

That’s funny, I find myself nowadays not even installing apps at all. I rather use the browser for everything.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

kefkafloyd posted:

There's no 45 watt six or eight core Ice Lake processors to use. Ice lake is currently available in the 15 watt range usually used in Macbook Airs.

Has anyone gotten their keyboards replaced on their 13 inch models lately and know what the turnaround time is? Thinking about replacing the keyboard in my 2018 and then selling it when the 14 inch comes out.

Had my 2017's keyboard replaced about 3 weeks ago. Took two days (dropped off Weds, done Friday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

That’s funny, I find myself nowadays not even installing apps at all. I rather use the browser for everything.

It's sad, my Applications folder is kind of pointless.

Although I guess Dropbox and Google Drive are apps and occasionally I'll use Pages. I use more apps on my iPad, hence the rationale for porting those over to MacOS.