Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is Vicky 2 worth getting into at this point? Or is it too clunky and old to get started on in 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Paradox knew people would go crazy about Vicky 3 when they announced that there was going to be an announcement of a new game with no other hints. They have only themselves to blame.

I think what'd be coolest is Paradox trying to do some kind of out there sci-fi or fantasy setting map game, but not a totally zoomed out perspective like Stellaris is.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Good. The revolution cannot triumph without the deliberate execution of Gamers.

I mean I already know where I'd be in revolutionary executions since I wear glasses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is Vicky 2 worth getting into at this point? Or is it too clunky and old to get started on in 2019
Many will chime in to say its worth it, but I am here to tell you that I personally think it is not. Make your own decision, but the fanbois are going to pump it up. Its janky as gently caress.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Game is janky as all hell but it's interesting. The good thing is that since there's been no patches in a decade, all the tutorials you can find online are still up to date. I'd check those out and see if those grab your attention before you dive in and hate it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's one of those "deeply flawed but also there is nothing else quite like it" sorts of games

The interface is mostly fine, except the trade screen, which is inscrutable.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fortunately the trade screen is also completely ignoreable

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Magissima posted:

Can we make this the permanent thread title?

It's just a hair too long. I can only get as far as "Paradox Grand Strategy: I'm going to die of disappoint if they don't announce Vicky 3"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's just a hair too long. I can only get as far as "Paradox Grand Strategy: I'm going to die of disappoint if they don't announce Vicky 3"

That should be fine, since that state is also everlasting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the best paradox game

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

If Vicky 2 had some of the more modern developments like being able to see what land you’re demanding in peace deals it’d be hard to go to other games. As it is it’s just janky enough to eventually get too frustrated with it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Victoria 3 but it's a F2P mobile game with cartoon graphics.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Why are you reading my nightmare journal

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Civ 6

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Serious note: Soviet gaming existed. By that time Soviets decided to stop making their own PCs and just copied IBM. Same happened with videogames. Like the most popular handheld game was a copy of this thing: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/45/36/624536f08e2f7e909fcd672ced7bbedb.jpg with a wolf from a Soviet cartoon but even the egg theme was still there. PC game copies were more like localized pirated games made by an enthusiast.

So I'd say communist videogame market wouldn't look that different from modern mobile games made by all those cheap development companies.

What is that wolf called? Getting some mad vague nostalgia for the cartoon here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beet Wagon posted:

How about :
"Paradox Grand Strategy: I will die of disappointment if they do not announce Vicky 3"
?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

GrossMurpel posted:

What is that wolf called? Getting some mad vague nostalgia for the cartoon here.

He's... Wolf. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well,_Just_You_Wait! It's like Soviet Tom & Jerry, kinda.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ilitarist posted:

He's... Wolf. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well,_Just_You_Wait! It's like Soviet Tom & Jerry, kinda.

Except there are only 16 of them (but they are pretty good).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Ah right, Hase and Wolf (hare and wolf).
Thank you very muchly.

OddObserver posted:

Except there are only 16 of them (but they are pretty good).

Looks like there were a couple more made after 1990 which apparently were poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mantis42 posted:

Vaguely anime looking 8-bit pixel art

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Vaguely anime looking 8-bit pixel art

With inconsistent pixel sizes.

*edit* since the big sale is on, is Imperator: Rome any good yet? If not, does it seem like it could be good at some point in the future?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 18, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How about :
"Paradox Grand Strategy: I will die of disappointment if they do not announce Vicky 3"
?

I already did the other one but if y'all have more Vicky 3 jokes just let me know when you want a title change and I'll swoop in and do it, reading a bit more of the OP each time until I can seamlessly complain about uhhh pops and stuff. Dang I need to play more Stellaris.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

*edit* since the big sale is on, is Imperator: Rome any good yet? If not, does it seem like it could be good at some point in the future?

I'd say yes. It will never have the same replayability as EU IV and CK II (because there aren't as many interesting countries or different playstyles), but there are some really cool ideas in it and it's certainly enjoyable. The updates have been great as well.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No. It was free on PC Gamepass last I checked though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Beet Wagon posted:

I already did the other one but if y'all have more Vicky 3 jokes just let me know when you want a title change and I'll swoop in and do it, reading a bit more of the OP each time until I can seamlessly complain about uhhh pops and stuff. Dang I need to play more Stellaris.
Oh man, if you hang around long enough you will see some zingers.

But mostly just people begging for Victoria 3, which they already got in HoI4 anyway.

And yeah I need to play more Stellaris too.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh man, if you hang around long enough you will see some zingers.

But mostly just people begging for Victoria 3, which they already got in HoI4 anyway.

And yeah I need to play more Stellaris too.

wut

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you are a mechanics driven player it is in a decent starter shape. Where the game is lacking is in flavor and just making different governments and religions play differently. As well the character stuff doesn't work for me. It's too little to be enjoyable like ck2 but too much to entirely ignore it. Very bad middle ground.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
PDXcon is live now, announcement(s?) due in 10 minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hour and a half until I die.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
ONE MINUTE

I’m not staying up to watch though.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

First announcement: Surviving the Aftermath. Surviving Mars but you are actually the minutemen from Fallout 4.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, this Iceflake Studios has done nothing but small and mobile games. Explains the EGS exclusivity.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Available today, 19.99 early access. EGS.

Next:

Stellaris: Federations, and rockmen race pack. Leaks were real.

Oh, the race pack comes out on Thursday?

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 19, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like the rock music joke.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

toasterwarrior posted:

I like the rock music joke.

Same.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Wonder how much it'll be?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

Wonder how much it'll be?

Race pack? 7.99, it's on Steam already.

Next up:

Battletech: Heavy Metal

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Free update alongside Heavy Metal will have official mod support

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hearts of Iron 4: La Résistance has me hyped!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Hearts of Iron 4: La Résistance has me hyped!

Includes focus on the Spanish Civil War, niiice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

canepazzo posted:

Race pack? 7.99, it's on Steam already.

Next up:

Battletech: Heavy Metal

I think you mean £5.49! I didn't realise it was up already.

I hope this battletech expansion is a PROPER one and not loads of money for gently caress all.