Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

General Olloth posted:

The tax is painting them.

Or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Tax dodging is a crime

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You cannot tax what isn’t built.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You can make endless spreadsheets about it though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Speaking of boring-rear end non-veteran Legion Tactical Squads and spreadsheets and hypotheticals and things unbuilt:

Legion Tactical Squad with bolt rifles: add chainswords or don’t add chainswords? Is this an obvious yes, an obvious no, or a depends-on-your-list?

(This concerns me as a modeler, obviously, because adding a nuncio-vox or a legion vexilla is as easy as building/painting another guy with it and swapping him out for one of the guys without, but the chainswords are unit-wide and on every model....)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Stephenls posted:

Legion Tactical Squad with bolt rifles

With what?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

With what?

Jesus loving Christ.

Anyway you know what I mean. “Not-bolt-pistols.” In my defence, regular bolters are rifle-shaped. I have somehow managed to divide the things in my head into “bolt pistols” and “bolt rifles,” with “bolter” as a generic term, which I know is wrong but have consciously remember is wrong any time it comes up.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 18, 2019

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Speaking of boring-rear end non-veteran Legion Tactical Squads and spreadsheets and hypotheticals and things unbuilt:

Legion Tactical Squad with bolt rifles: add chainswords or don’t add chainswords? Is this an obvious yes, an obvious no, or a depends-on-your-list?

(This concerns me as a modeler, obviously, because adding a nuncio-vox or a legion vexilla is as easy as building/painting another guy with it and swapping him out for one of the guys without, but the chainswords are unit-wide and on every model....)

Heinous primaris bolter terminology aside, it depends, but luckily both a chainsword and a 'combat blade' do the same thing rules wise. The combat blades are just little knives you can put on the belt in the mkiv and mkiii kits.

So it depends on your list, but you can glue some on their rear end later no problem if you want, and most people won't get close enough to your model to look for knives or not. We just tell our opponents the wargear at the start for those usually. It is somewhat hard to even see them at the battlefield level.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stephenls posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Anyway you know what I mean. “Not-bolt-pistols.” In my defence, regular bolters are rifle-shaped. I have somehow managed to divide the things in my head into “bolt pistols” and “bolt rifles,” with “bolter” as a generic term, which I know is wrong but have consciously remember is wrong any time it comes up.

Kid you better buckle up, you’re posting in a historical thread.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I pretty much always just take the extra close combat weapons, because you might as well. If the points are tight dropping them to get something more important to fit in isn't a huge deal. I just start with them added by default and go from their.

Some armies (read World Eaters) might just not take the Bolter to maximize guys on foot running across the table, or you might just have your troops with just bolters to sit on objectives and produce nothing else.

I think having a huge squad blast things apart with fury of the legion then charge in next turn is the peak of what 30k should be. Just do it.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Stephenls posted:

I always model my dudes with the extra ccw cause it looks rad, so long as you are very clear about what has what to your opponent and it shouldn't matter.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Completely dependent on the tacs intended roll. If you’re attaching a big character and trying to get into CC yeah absolutely throw in chainswords. If they’re just an objective grabber: they’ll probably just get shot a lot anyways so who cares keep them cheap.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Over here just chortlin' at anyone who doesn't put swords on their tacticals.

I have to otherwise my legion rules don't do anything positive.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Over here just chortlin' at anyone who doesn't put swords on their tacticals.

Its a shame sabre's are not swords.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

Your Legion rules are their own reward :colbert:

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
First heresy event in 12 months tomorrow, will take some pics as it’s a sick group of hobby dudes and report back.

Chonk List, 2500 points, only fatties allowed

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Stephenls posted:

A lot of the bolter kits come with cool chain-bayonettes. That being said, it is one of the few upgrades that people don’t care about being wysiwyg in my experience.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

"Aww, gently caress."
- Alpharius, 010.M31

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ghazk posted:

A lot of the bolter kits come with cool chain-bayonettes. That being said, it is one of the few upgrades that people don’t care about being wysiwyg in my experience.

IIRC, MKIII/MKIV kits come with enough sheathed chainswords/blades respectively.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

IIRC, MKIII/MKIV kits come with enough sheathed chainswords/blades respectively.

Indeed they do, and in the case of the MkIII kit, the sheathed swords are even slightly smaller than the unsheathed one, to make it easier to attach them to the MkIII rear end without dragging on the ground. Speaking of...

Significantly less happy with this guy a few days after the fact than I was when I first put him together. Proportions look off and all the crap I stuck to his belt sort of wrecks his silhouette.

Also I made these...

...and the process of doing so sort of made me want to die, so I don't know if I'll be pursuing that line of inquiry anymore.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Also I made these...

...and the process of doing so sort of made me want to die, so I don't know if I'll be pursuing that line of inquiry anymore.

Have you ever considered making marines except..shorter?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

"Aww, gently caress."
- Alpharius, 010.M31

What kind of lame rear end Primarch gets killed by his own weapon?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I find that in a regular game tacs want to have just bolters or just bolt pistols and swords and only rarely want to spend the extra points to have both. ZM encourages th

Stephenls posted:

Indeed they do, and in the case of the MkIII kit, the sheathed swords are even slightly smaller than the unsheathed one, to make it easier to attach them to the MkIII rear end without dragging on the ground. Speaking of...

Significantly less happy with this guy a few days after the fact than I was when I first put him together. Proportions look off and all the crap I stuck to his belt sort of wrecks his silhouette.

Also I made these...

Cool bolt rifles.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, if you want truescale marines, it's less painful and probably faster to learn 3D modeling and print them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JcDent posted:

Yeah, if you want truescale marines, it's less painful and probably faster to learn 3D modeling and print them.

God drat it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've seen people add a 1mm spacer between the torso and hips, which is stupid easy and gets covered by the bolter most of the time.

The knees look a little low, but it beats producing your own line of miniatures.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
For Mark VI legs the options really are just the four in the 2008 plastic Tacticals, the five pairs of running/jumping FW resin legs in their MkVI kit, and the occasional random plastic MkVI leg pair scattered around for variety in stuff like the Assault Marines, right?

I feel like the freedom afforded by the Prospero/Calth plastics has given me unrealistic expectations the amount of variety that “ought” to be available for any given armor mark.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Mark V come with a total of 2 (two) different legs.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

adamantium|wang posted:

Mark V come with a total of 2 (two) different legs.

Really? Don’t they have one sprue of three and one of two?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I mean the FW resin ones. Wish I realised that before I bought ten.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

I mean the FW resin ones. Wish I realised that before I bought ten.

I think the mkv bolter mans and assault squad have different legs? Expensive but can mix those up I guess.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My mkV are stashed somewhere, but looking at the FW site it seems like they've got three leg types. Standing, stepping, and running. Might even be two running poses? Can't really tell.

The assault squad version is definitely just two sculpts though. Running and sass.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Safety Factor posted:

My mkV are stashed somewhere, but looking at the FW site it seems like they've got three leg types. Standing, stepping, and running. Might even be two running poses? Can't really tell.

Looks like two distinct standing poses as well—one with two feet planted firmly on the ground, one with the right foot down solidly and the left foot just touching the ground with its toes, but with the ankle up.

The two different running poses could be one running pose, with one of them reshaped a bit using hot water or a heat gun, but going from a solid stance to a stance with one foot just toes down is pretty difficult to re-pose, even for resin.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Well, that settles that. The resin MkVIs are about 1mm taller than the plastic MkVIs and only about one 1mm short of my scaled-up-2008-tactical-kit MkVI. Adding a 0.5mm spacer at the waist and neck would be both trivial and produce exactly the height I want, especially in conjunction with a slighty taller base. This did require a bit of re-posing the legs using a mug of hot water, but that'd be necessary anyway when using multiple resin kits.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord
Trip report

The lads at SEQsy Heresy here in sunny Brisbane down in Aus put on a great monthly event day at one of the local taverns so it was beers and heresy on the menu.
I took my Imperial fists in a 2.5k Pride ROW with a Gallant LOW choice to pad out the points because I have been a lazy piece of hobby garbage all year and needed more bodies.

Event day style is two games with random opponent, traitors vs loyalist and a 3rd casual pick up game if you are still keen after. This was a 2.5k Shadow Wars themed event with all the missions and scoring taken from that book. We have 24 dudes looking for heresy dates and got stuck in.
I played against Word Bearers and Night Lords and managed to scrap wins out of both even though I was rusty as gently caress by playing the missions. My opponents were super cool peeps and the hobby levels were fantastic of everyone who attended. Fully painted only and the tables were all top notch.

Some pics of my games

and some of random tables

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Is that metallic yellow? Very nice!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

Is that metallic yellow? Very nice!

Yes thank you sir, yes it is

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"Summoning demons, are you? WELL, I CAST FIST!" - Termie sarge, probably

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That table full of crashed drop pod terrain :captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

TTerrible posted:

That table full of crashed drop pod terrain :captainpop:

I think it might be an orbital assault