Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Delacroix posted:

A dialogue choice that doesn't adequately portray the consequence is a big deal. I can't think of any other notable quest that did this, they were all flagged if not by prompt, then by tone. Fallout 4 was modded precisely for this reason in short order.

Yeah, 'shove dijkstra' in the context of dozens of other choices in the game that just result in Geralt being a dick to the person he's talking to and the scenario otherwise playing out does not lead the player to assume that the consequences will be any different.

Particularly as Geralt goes way beyond a shove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I didn't mind the shove deekstruh choice but I have an understanding with the people who do.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
It makes sense to me in a RPG that the designers might want the player to find out their decisions in game will have unintended consequences. But I think the real issue with stuff like Fallout 4 dialogue, "shove Dijkstra," and very funny coming out as "gently caress you" is that all of those are conversation options where there is a disconnect between how the option is described and how it actually plays out. The way your player character can interact with the game world should be described in accurate terms, and having unclear conversation options strikes me as being close to something like sloppy movement controls.

Plus, if the "shove Dijkstra" action said "break his ankle," I think many people would accept losing out on an additional quest with him a sensible consequence of that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
FO4 was patched bc the dialog choices didn’t match up to the substance of what your character actually said. That’s a bit different. Shove Djikstra results in you actually shoving Djikstra. I guess you could say breaking his leg is above and beyond that, but I also wouldn’t expect a shove like my young children shoving each other.

Yeah I agree it kinda sucks, but I don’t think RPGs need to tell you [this will prematurely end the quest]. I think it’s pretty clear that’s the Geralt saying “We’re done” choice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite things about the first Witcher game is how your actions will affect quests later down the road, possibly resulting in people dying or quests being closed off, without you knowing in advance what those repercussions might be. I wish more games did this.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
RPGs shouldn't have voiced main characters, that way you can circumvent the whole "we don't wanna write down the whole dialog option and just have a guy read it out again" issue.

chaosapiant posted:

One of my favorite things about the first Witcher game is how your actions will affect quests later down the road, possibly resulting in people dying or quests being closed off, without you knowing in advance what those repercussions might be. I wish more games did this.

Have you played Alpha Protocol? That probably has my favorite chocies & consequences in a game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrossMurpel posted:

RPGs shouldn't have voiced main characters, that way you can circumvent the whole "we don't wanna write down the whole dialog option and just have a guy read it out again" issue.

Have you played Alpha Protocol? That probably has my favorite chocies & consequences in a game.

Yep, multiple times! Love that game!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Look Sir Droids posted:

FO4 was patched bc the dialog choices didn’t match up to the substance of what your character actually said. That’s a bit different. Shove Djikstra results in you actually shoving Djikstra. I guess you could say breaking his leg is above and beyond that, but I also wouldn’t expect a shove like my young children shoving each other.

Yeah I agree it kinda sucks, but I don’t think RPGs need to tell you [this will prematurely end the quest]. I think it’s pretty clear that’s the Geralt saying “We’re done” choice.

Pretty sure there was a patch for this line as well, adding the word forcefully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Geralt being voiced works because everything he does and says is in line with his character. You have choices, sure, but they're all choices that fit with his character so he never sounds schizophrenic like you see with BioWare or Bethesda games with binary choices.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Eh sometimes it worked, but sometimes it was a bit random. They also had to insert flashback moments where Geralt speaks to the camera to tell you what just happened because it turned out otherwise players would have no idea what just happened. They iterated that concept well into Witcher 3 where you can make a choice for Geralt, but the game makes it clear that sometimes that's just Geralt's choice and the other characters in the game world still get to react to that in a way that the player might not want.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Alchenar posted:

They also had to insert flashback moments where Geralt speaks to the camera to tell you what just happened because it turned out otherwise players would have no idea what just happened.

I'd hardly say they had to insert the flashbacks in, feels like they're mainly there to build up a 'hard-boiled detective narrating the consequences of trusting dames' type of feel.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Installing W2. Anything I should know going in? Any essential mods?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I ran with Two Talents Per Level and Double Potion and Oil Durations just for convenience. I don't think they're essential but they made it feel like less of a chore.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Play on Dark Mode

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Look Sir Droids posted:

Do the prologue in order. It'll become clear what that means when you see it.
The early fights are the hardest as you only have basic skills to use, the game has a steep curve but it does get easy later on.
There are QTE's
The story splits at the end of Chapter 1. Consider making a save before you decide which way to go so that if you decide after you want to play the other path you don't have to replay the beginning again and can just pick up from the save you made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Potion and blade oil prep is done before fights rather than as hotkey presses during combat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

Eh sometimes it worked, but sometimes it was a bit random. They also had to insert flashback moments where Geralt speaks to the camera to tell you what just happened because it turned out otherwise players would have no idea what just happened. They iterated that concept well into Witcher 3 where you can make a choice for Geralt, but the game makes it clear that sometimes that's just Geralt's choice and the other characters in the game world still get to react to that in a way that the player might not want.

Yea, those flashbacks and monologues from Geralt were one of my favorite parts, along with the oil style paintings that adorned those moments.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regarding reactivity, I've been playing my current run as "Geralt takes no poo poo" and it is fun seeing how people respond to him when he's made a name for himself butchering the Baron's men at the Inn. It overrides some choices down the line, such as suggesting a nonviolent solution to the bandits out for the Pellar's blood. They recognize him as a killer and pick a fight you can't get out of without resorting to axii.

Edit.
The Bloody Baron scenes are never not heartbreaking.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 20, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I asked in the witcher 3 subreddit but they didn't take my question very kindly, so I'll ask here:

Are there any mods that allow me to equip some sort of tactical firearm ? The game seems pretty good and I'm probably 10% finished, but I think I'd enjoy it more if I could Ghost Recon my way around. Maybe take out bandits and guards with a sniper rifle ?

The reddit people said that this game took 4 years to make and that I shouldn't be wanting guns.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is very unlikely there are any mods like that because the modding scene is much less flexible than an elder scrolls game

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It would be incredibly difficult to mod guns into the Witcher because there are no gameplay systems designed for guns in the game to begin with, they don't exist in the Witcher world so they don't exist in the game. Being a Witcher is about swords and magic.

I suggest you wait for Cyberpunk to be released which will have guns in it, or mod Geralt into Fallout or something.

edit: I was forgetting about the crossbow. Maybe there is a mod that beefs up the crossbow to give it longer range and more damage. I doubt you would find anything to give it a scope though.

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, gently caress firearms, I want a mod where Geralt of Rivia becomes a baseball player.

The Pitcher: Wild Bunt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man, gently caress firearms, I want a mod where Geralt of Rivia becomes a baseball player.

Be honest now, how long have you been holding on to that one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Be honest now, how long have you been holding on to that one

About three hours.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That was actually pretty good. Wild Bunt.

Anyways, I guess I'll just use magic and swords. I'm just in that first world. Nevel or whatever and the dogs are easy to kill but the loving deserters and bandits are too hard. This game is way different than iracing.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Theres a mod that makes the crossbow do a ton of damage with each bolt so it oneshots a lot of small enemies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ironically Breath of the Wild has bunting when bokoblins throw rocks at you

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

HORMELCHILI posted:

Theres a mod that makes the crossbow do a ton of damage with each bolt so it oneshots a lot of small enemies

I think this would be the best option for ~ghost recon mode~ but, honestly, why not just watch an LP if you don't like the gameplay? :shrug:

On the bright side: less than (:sun:) six months until Cyberpunk 2077 which will be Witcher with Guns. :woop:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think this would be the best option for ~ghost recon mode~ but, honestly, why not just watch an LP if you don't like the gameplay? :shrug:

On the bright side: less than (:sun:) six months until Cyberpunk 2077 which will be Witcher with Guns. :woop:

I like the adventuring. I'm just bad at the combat and the game in general. And I only have time to play it every so often so I end up forgetting what the buttons do. Currently chasing a ghost fetus around.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

I like the adventuring. I'm just bad at the combat and the game in general. And I only have time to play it every so often so I end up forgetting what the buttons do. Currently chasing a ghost fetus around.

If you're having trouble with bandits, don't forget bombs. Grapeshot and other bombs are really useful against humans and alchemy refills for one unit of alchemy, you don't have to pick a bunch of flowers.

There's also no shame in turning down the difficulty, it's not the meat of the game.

Ghost fetus is the first real :stonk: part of the game for me

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Ghost fetus is the first real :stonk: part of the game for me

Same. Not just that there's a ghost fetus, but how the writing handled it seriously without being absurd or melodramatic.

And yeah, just turn the difficulty down. Combat is not the best part of the game and there's no content locked behind difficulty except for an achievement and achivements are dumb. I was like just like you. I only played sporadically for the first 15-20 hours of the game and the value of the writing didn't really click until the exact moment you're in.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jonathan posted:

It can be tricky to get the hang of it if you are having to stop and start cause of life. Once you get the hang of dodging, that's 90% of the combat. For example drowners will always tag you with their third (4th?) swing if you only dodge backwards, so you have to learn to dodge to their right or left side and hit them in the back. After that you only get stronger as the game goes and it gets easier.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Had to take a break to make a decision in the Whispering Hillock quest. I hate metagaming, so I guess I'll think for a while and decide who to believe with the information Geralt has available to him at the time.

In other words, this is still a Good Game. :)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smol posted:

Had to take a break to make a decision in the Whispering Hillock quest. I hate metagaming, so I guess I'll think for a while and decide who to believe with the information Geralt has available to him at the time.

In other words, this is still a Good Game. :)

Don't worry too much, the only possible outcomes are "misery" and "also misery," there's no "good" resolution.

Also most of the big quest decisions are self-contained, they're not going to lock content or majorly change the rest of the game other than the final ending.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
LOL at firearms in a game like this

It would, however, have been nice if they didn't gimp the crossbow and given it some purpose other than killing poo poo in the water.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

It would, however, have been nice if they didn't gimp the crossbow and given it some purpose other than killing poo poo in the water.

Well, they wouldn't be entirely out of place. Gunpowder just isn't part of the setting, though.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

The DLC makes crossbows viable.

When you’re almost done with the game and then you have to respec.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pellisworth posted:

Well, they wouldn't be entirely out of place. Gunpowder just isn't part of the setting, though.

Sort of

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I found a ghost near Frischlow when I used the magic lamp. Dude was hacking away with a pickaxe. Are there any other ghosts you can find that aren't related to sidequests? I'm on the lookout for stuff that I haven't seen before. It also makes me wonder about what things either got cut or were scaled down for release.

Graden, for instance, is a very interesting character. He's a witch hunter but unlike the others, being level headed and even compassionate. He also has a very noticeable cough which makes me think his voice recordings were from an earlier draft where the plague subplot was still in the game rather than as a couple of incidental sidequests.

What I'm more interested in is the cannibal army squatting on the Velen coastline and the Nilfgaardian army camp surroundings. I'm almost certain there must have been a quest related to all those cannibal locations, since you can find a corpse you can examine Witcher style at one of their larger camps. So either it was a cut questline that was meant to be more than points of interest or it was a prototype for the Hanse bases in Blood and Wine with the large number of enemies and built up fortifications.

The Nilfgaardian army camp is pretty large for a place that only has three quests related to it. You can sneak into the officer's club if you wear Nilfgaardian clothes but there's nothing to do in there. The whole southeast portion of the map feels barren and you can't walk more than ten feet without hitting a world map edge and being teleported back. There must have been more to that area at some point but it got cut for time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Pellisworth posted:

False :colbert:
https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/School_of_the_Crane

Ok it's dumb tho, but not like extremely dumb.
It's black powder pistols I think.