Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve got a gripe that I really need an explanation for.

Why in the ever loving gently caress does it take a full 7 seconds (I counted) to take a picture from the messages app? This is on the iPhone 11 Pro Max so the phone shouldn’t be an issue.

Like it’s nearly impossible to take a quick snap because if the picture is hosed up you’ll have no idea for 7 seconds.

This must be a phone thing because its less than a second on my XR. Same with accessing the camera from the lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TheWevel posted:

This must be a phone thing because its less than a second on my XR. Same with accessing the camera from the lock screen.

I'm on an 11 and it takes a solid second for it to actually bring up the camera, then another second for the viewfinder to actually start, and then once you snap it doesn't do anything for like 2 seconds while it processes the photo. Seems like there could be room for improvement there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My parents don't love me, so I don't have to deal with text from them, thankfully.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheWevel posted:

It takes 0 time to access the camera. I mean when you press the capture button.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm on an 11 and it takes a solid second for it to actually bring up the camera, then another second for the viewfinder to actually start, and then once you snap it doesn't do anything for like 2 seconds while it processes the photo. Seems like there could be room for improvement there.

This is significantly faster vs my Pro Max

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MarcusSA posted:

It takes 0 time to access the camera. I mean when you press the capture button.

This is significantly faster vs my Pro Max

I'm also on a Pro Max and not noticing this. Heres a screen recording of me doing it.

http://i.imgur.com/ruviU9v.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brain Issues posted:

I'm also on a Pro Max and not noticing this. Heres a screen recording of me doing it.

http://i.imgur.com/ruviU9v.mp4

Wtf!
This is what it looks like on my pro max

https://imgur.com/a/p17xkZ0

Imgur is annoying how do you get the direct link?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

MarcusSA posted:

Wtf!

Wow that’s wack. Not even close to the same as mine.

Long press the video and press copy link.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hey people holding onto SEs for dear life like me: a new battery basically makes it a new phone again, spend $100 and you're good for another two years until apple gets their head out of their rear end

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Or a lot less than $100 if you’re marginally handy. I’ve done two SE screen swaps and taking them apart is a breeze

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Wtf!

Turn off Live Photo. it’s taking so long because it’s recording after the photo for that effect.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arivia posted:

hey people holding onto SEs for dear life like me: a new battery basically makes it a new phone again, spend $100 and you're good for another two years until apple gets their head out of their rear end

lol Apple isn't making any smaller phones anymore. The new SE is going to be the size of the iPhone 8 and the only thing "SE" about it is the $400 price tag.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Gay Retard posted:

lol Apple isn't making any smaller phones anymore. The new SE is going to be the size of the iPhone 8 and the only thing "SE" about it is the $400 price tag.

$400 dollars for an Iphone 8 sized phone with 11 Pro internals sounds fairly small and reasonable for the price next year. I wonder if they'll bump up the Mah more than they did between the 5s and the SE considering the se stomps the Iphone 8 in battery tests.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MarcusSA posted:

Why in the ever loving gently caress does it take a full 7 seconds (I counted) to take a picture from the messages app? This is on the iPhone 11 Pro Max so the phone shouldn’t be an issue.

Like it’s nearly impossible to take a quick snap because if the picture is hosed up you’ll have no idea for 7 seconds.

I’m on 13.1.3 and can’t seem to reproduce this... anything weird I should do? Or just hit the camera button from within Messages?

If it’s just what I said, then it seems fine in my 11 Pro. But that means nothing and we all know that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

$400 dollars for an Iphone 8 sized phone with 11 Pro internals sounds fairly small and reasonable for the price next year. I wonder if they'll bump up the Mah more than they did between the 5s and the SE considering the se stomps the Iphone 8 in battery tests.

Why not get a discounted iPhone 11 at that point? I saw a lot of $450 XR deals within 6 months of them being released.

Edit: Duh, might be a little too big for some people. I can't imagine the SE having a dual-camera system.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Turn off Live Photo. it’s taking so long because it’s recording after the photo for that effect.

Holy poo poo... that reduced the time down to 2 seconds.

I like Live Photo’s tho :(

Thanks for the explanation!!!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Arivia posted:

I did it for $30 when Apple got poo poo for the reducing performance thing :smug:

...although it seems to be draining faster again now so debating another swap soon.

Gay Retard posted:

I'm all about that 5.4" Pro rumor...which will probably be about the size of the 8 anyway still, but if I'm forced to get a bigger phone I want all the new poo poo.

(Also my eyes are getting old and don't mind a bigger screen at this point. But not too big! I have an iPad for that crap...an iPad mini)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I’m legit about to lose my poo poo with Apple Music.

Let me start by saying I love (well loved) AM and have had it since it launched but this stealth update they did is seriously making me consider dropping it.

I have a HomePod which is pretty awesome and frequently I’ll say “hey Siri play some indie radio” and it plays the AM curated Indie station. Awesome right?

Well that was until yesterday... I say the exact same thing and what does she say back? “Now playing the Tune In indie radio” at first I was like wtf? I let it play for two songs till a bunch of ads started and I was like wait what the gently caress I don’t pay for this poo poo....

I then tried saying “Play the Apple Music indie radio station” and she said “I can’t do that”... ok?

At first I thought it was the HomePod having issues so I tried it on my phone and I get the exact same thing!

AM has curated stations for every genre and I for the life of me can’t figure out how to play a single one of them without going into the app itself. If you ask for the rock radio station it plays the local FM rock radio station? gently caress that I’m paying not to hear ads....

I love my HomePod but don’t love it enough to listen to ads on the loving thing.

What the gently caress??

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Let me start by saying I love (well loved) AM and have had it since it launched but this stealth update they did is seriously making me consider dropping it.

I have a HomePod which is pretty awesome and frequently I’ll say “hey Siri play some indie radio” and it plays the AM curated Indie station. Awesome right?

Well that was until yesterday... I say the exact same thing and what does she say back? “Now playing the Tune In indie radio” at first I was like wtf? I let it play for two songs till a bunch of ads started and I was like wait what the gently caress I don’t pay for this poo poo....

I then tried saying “Play the Apple Music indie radio station” and she said “I can’t do that”... ok?

At first I thought it was the HomePod having issues so I tried it on my phone and I get the exact same thing!

AM has curated stations for every genre and I for the life of me can’t figure out how to play a single one of them without going into the app itself. If you ask for the rock radio station it plays the local FM rock radio station? gently caress that I’m paying not to hear ads....

I love my HomePod but don’t love it enough to listen to ads on the loving thing.

What the gently caress??

That's kinda hosed up, I did notice that AM got support for local radio stations but if it's really going to use those over the AM ones that's no good.

I looked into it and it seems like something that was announced at WWDC? https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/01/apple-homepod-radio-stations/

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 19, 2019

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I correct in my understanding that the only difference in the cameras between the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro is the addition of 2x optical zoom in?

I have a Pixel 1 and desperately need to upgrade. The only thing I want is a great camera and good battery life. Obvs it doesn't look like the Pixel 4 will have good battery life, but the camera may be equivalent to Apple's, and it has 2x optical zoom in like the Pro.

I can get a Pixel 4 128 for $450. I could buy it and move up to an iPhone in a year or two once the battery becomes unusable.

I can get a iPhone 11 128 for $650. I'd probably always wonder "What if I had 2x optical zoom!"

I can get a iPhone 11 Pro 256 for $1050. I'd probably always wonder "Did I pay too much for a goddamn phone?"

I use a lot of Google services but am otherwise platform agnostic.

What would you do?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blk posted:

Am I correct in my understanding that the only difference in the cameras between the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro is the addition of 2x optical zoom in?

I have a Pixel 1 and desperately need to upgrade. The only thing I want is a great camera and good battery life. Obvs it doesn't look like the Pixel 4 will have good battery life, but the camera may be equivalent to Apple's, and it has 2x optical zoom in like the Pro.

I can get a Pixel 4 128 for $450. I could buy it and move up to an iPhone in a year or two once the battery becomes unusable.

I can get a iPhone 11 128 for $650. I'd probably always wonder "What if I had 2x optical zoom!"

I can get a iPhone 11 Pro 256 for $1050. I'd probably always wonder "Did I pay too much for a goddamn phone?"

I use a lot of Google services but am otherwise platform agnostic.

What would you do?

I have the 11 Pro but I think really really the iPhone 11 is a good entry point. Telephoto isn't as important to me as the ultra-wide is.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
On the flip side, I have an 11 and I really, really miss telephoto from my 7+. I find the ultrawide significantly less useful and distorted. Even landscapes look weird.

Otherwise, I love the phone. Battery is so insanely good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Takes 2 seconds on my 8. That’s weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Takes 2 seconds on my 8. That’s weird.

It’s Live Photo causing the delay. Which is weird because in the camera app it goes right in :shrug:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cozmosis posted:

On the flip side, I have an 11 and I really, really miss telephoto from my 7+. I find the ultrawide significantly less useful and distorted. Even landscapes look weird.

Otherwise, I love the phone. Battery is so insanely good.

Just crop the shots from the main camera - that’s all the 7 Plus does most of the time anyway (the telephoto camera needs absolutely perfect lighting to work)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

blk posted:

Physically, yes. If you were to put the telephoto lens onto the iPhone 11, they would have the exact same hardware for cameras.

In practice, more difficult to say one way or the other. iOS uses all available sensors to supplement computational things like Portrait Mode (and maybe Night Mode and Deep Fusion, when that goes live,) but that's as far as my knowledge goes on that topic. This is a good question for someone like Tim Cook or Phil Schiller (they will reply to your emails) but at the end of the day, you'd be hard-pressed to conclude that one model takes objectively better pictures than the other (2x zoom notwithstanding!)

If having the telephoto lens is the only thing you're on the fence about, I'd recommend the plain iPhone 11 all day. It's finally no longer the parlor trick it was on the iPhone 7+ and iPhone X, now that it can pump out a halfway decent photo in lower lighting. But unless you're like super into wildlife photography or something of that nature, I'd rather take a few steps forward for a shot than pay $400 more.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 19, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Finally ditching a tired old (only because all my coworkers loving jumped ship months ago) 7 for an 11 Pro, so I believe I can enter the world of wireless charging.

Is there a thread favorite for Qi wireless charging? I have nothing else to charge wirelessly and am a cheap bastard.

Also, my 7's battery is maybe in sad shape because I used to keep it plugged in all the time, AppleInsider says I should get a wireless charger anyway because its less wear and tear on the battery.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I got this one from Anker for work and it is perfectly adequate: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0753Z4PGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: before you harp on me that it's 5W: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/iphone-faster-wireless-charging/

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2019

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binary Badger posted:

Finally ditching a tired old (only because all my coworkers loving jumped ship months ago) 7 for an 11 Pro, so I believe I can enter the world of wireless charging.

Is there a thread favorite for Qi wireless charging? I have nothing else to charge wirelessly and am a cheap bastard.

Also, my 7's battery is maybe in sad shape because I used to keep it plugged in all the time, AppleInsider says I should get a wireless charger anyway because its less wear and tear on the battery.

The long term ramifications of wireless vs wired charging are negligible enough to not concern yourself with, but leaving your phone plugged in all the time is maybe a bad idea. I used to do this with my 2015 MBp, thinking saving battery cycles would preserve the battery as long as possible. Turns out, those saved battery cycles aren't worth much when the constant unnecessary on-off power delivery leads to a swelling battery! Just a single anecdotal event, yes, but the Genius at the Banana Stand definitely facepalmed when I told him I had been doing this. Then again, it took about 4 years for this to happen, and most of us don't keep phones for 4 years.

About wireless chargers: try to make sure they are compatible with the iPhone 11 before buying. My old RAVPower Qi charger that I used with my iPhone X doesn't recognize my iPhone 11 as a valid device, but my old first-gen Samsung Quick Charge stand still works (at non-quick charging wattage, mind you.) Anker and RAVPower are affordable favorites when it comes to resting assured you won't set your phone on fire.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 19, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Whoever conducted that test neglected the crucial detail that to get 7.5W wireless charging on an iPhone, you need a charger capable of delivering 7.5W to an iPhone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Another option is IKEA. They sell these wireless charging pads for $5. It’s only 5W and doesn’t come with anything but the pad but for only $5 I have a few sitting around the house in convenient places I might want to set my phone down. The best (or worse, depending on how you look at it I guess) part is that they use USB-C so it’s like the future is here.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Siri calls 911 even when you say it while you’re dreaming. Whoops

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

enojy posted:

The long term ramifications of wireless vs wired charging are negligible enough to not concern yourself with, but leaving your phone plugged in all the time is maybe a bad idea. I used to do this with my 2015 MBp, thinking saving battery cycles would preserve the battery as long as possible. Turns out, those saved battery cycles aren't worth much when the constant unnecessary on-off power delivery leads to a swelling battery! Just a single anecdotal event, yes, but the Genius at the Banana Stand definitely facepalmed when I told him I had been doing this. Then again, it took about 4 years for this to happen, and most of us don't keep phones for 4 years.

iOS 13 supposedly has a feature where it learns your patterns and when sitting on a charger will automatically minimize the amount of time it's at 100% charged until you need it.

I haven't noticed any difference in battery charge when I wake up in the morning, so either it's working so awesome I never notice or it's not working at all. :iiam:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

MarcusSA posted:

:words:

I don’t have a HomePod, but could it be a an update to that which is causing you grief? I have Echos, and I choose all the default apps for things like Radio through the Alexa app. Is it possible that a recent update added similar functionality?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XBenedict posted:

I don’t have a HomePod, but could it be a an update to that which is causing you grief? I have Echos, and I choose all the default apps for things like Radio through the Alexa app. Is it possible that a recent update added similar functionality?

It's an Apple Music thing, I don't use a Homepod and when I tell Siri the same triggers it'll default to TuneIn Radio.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/01/apple-homepod-radio-stations/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

It's an Apple Music thing, I don't use a Homepod and when I tell Siri the same triggers it'll default to TuneIn Radio.

Thanks this kinda helps but what the loving poo poo is this??

quote:

Siri is a bit picky about the phrasing of your request; without key words like ‘radio station’ in the question, Siri algorithm falls back to Apple Music searches. However, if you are careful to phrase it appropriately, many stations are now available. Of course, Apple could tweak the voice recognition understanding by the ‘official’ fall launch.

Even if you specifically state the Apple Music station it doesn’t play it.

You can’t say radio either.

gently caress......

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 19, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks this kinda helps but what the loving poo poo is this??

Even if you specifically state the Apple Music station it doesn’t play it.

You can’t say radio either.

gently caress......

I think Apple hosed up the implementations when they added the TuneIn stuff. I can't find anything on Macrumors or Reddit about the specific issue but I'm thinking this is a bug.

Edit: So sorry that it decided to play a clipping track.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Skeezy posted:

This has to be a push from the record companies to get their lovely playlists back into the mix. My 70 year old dad doesn’t even listen to terrestrial radio any more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

XBenedict posted:

This has to be a push from the record companies to get their lovely playlists back into the mix. My 70 year old dad doesn’t even listen to terrestrial radio any more.

Or they are tying some ad revenue from it because you can’t specifically say to play the Apple Music version.

If you want to listen to an Apple Music curated station you have to say “play some xxx (genre) music” and then it does. Which is dumb.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

iOS 13 supposedly has a feature where it learns your patterns and when sitting on a charger will automatically minimize the amount of time it's at 100% charged until you need it.

I haven't noticed any difference in battery charge when I wake up in the morning, so either it's working so awesome I never notice or it's not working at all. :iiam:
It’s an option under battery settings that I think is off by default. You can see it working (...if it’s working) by the battery graph. I think my late nights recently have hosed it up since it looks like it just charged fully normally, but I remember a while ago it did what it said it’d do. Like it’d charge to 80% or so after plugging in for the night, hold that level, then resume fully charging at some point to finish it off around 6 AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It comes up on the lockscreen while charging that it's enabled and says the time it's going to finish charging by