Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Volition gives you one of the best sequences in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

[any skill] gives you one of the best sequences in the game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im loving that it feels like each one of my skills seems like its own unique character

I like how it isnt just zany personalities either, encyclopedia gives you incredibly detailed and useless information, and something like shivers gives you REVACHOL FOREVER

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Hot take: Kojimas writing doesn't come anywhere near close to DE's caliber, and while he's good at game design I have trouble imagining that Death Stranding as a whole will overtake DE as a whole.

Giving Kojima credit for everything the whole Metal Gear team did is not realistic. I'm not sure "he's good at game design" is something we can assume.

He definitely has creative ideas, but for all we know the games having good design is because of other people who worked on those projects.

Broken Cog posted:

I'd also like to mention that having a low Phys isn't as bad as having a low Psych, since you can get a thought that raises your Endurance cap to 4 very early.

Probably, but I don't care, failing is half the point :)

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
this game is extremely my poo poo.

lategame sidequest spoiler

where exactly is the girl in the village who directs you to the t-500 gloves?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oxford_town posted:

this game is extremely my poo poo.

lategame sidequest spoiler

where exactly is the girl in the village who directs you to the t-500 gloves?

inside the nearest building by the twins

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Everybody stop freaking out about the time limit, goons overthink game mechanics some times. Its like you've been trained that if you're not playing the game absolutely optimally you're wrong.

Just trust the game developers and do whatever feels right.

It seems intentional that you don't see EVERYTHING on a single playthrough so you maybe can enjoy the game a 2nd time with different stats and taking different choices?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I love Visual Calculus giving you CSI vision

Same, its the absolute best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have made a huge mistake. I shaved.

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody stop freaking out about the time limit, goons overthink game mechanics some times. Its like you've been trained that if you're not playing the game absolutely optimally you're wrong.

I'm not "freaking out." I'm just curious about what to expect.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hmm. I wonder if I forget the Homosexual Underground thought, Ill start obsessing again but even harder

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Finished the game. I had a 3/5/1/3 Harry with high Empathy/Volition/Perception/EDC, and I love how he turned out by the end.

A lot of stuff to say, but it's all spoilers. Maybe when the thread quiets down and more people have played it.

The end with the phasmid was pretty strong too, similar to the end of day 1. And it was fun shoving my accomplishments down Jean's throat. Man that incredibly sad guy (according to Empathy) guy comes off as a prick.

Small complaint: The ending/fade-to-black was kind of abrupt.

Maybe I'll go with a drunk and angry cop next playthrough.

And these moments were pretty great:

Would also work with a lot of the other ones.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 19, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Night10194 posted:

I've known him for all of 10 minutes but I can already tell Electrochemistry is going to be trouble.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Small spoiler question.

So, I found Ruby, started to head back to the Hotel and there was a massacre; most of the Hardy Boys dead. So, current major quest is the head to the island to figure out some ballistics.

For unrelated reasons I was asking about that (because I was stuck and didn't know how to continue.) I was told that heading to the island was pretty "End Game". I've only been playing for about 10 hours, and if I've gotten to end game after such a short of time, in a game thats supposed to be 35 hours if you're zipping through it, I think I've majorly hosed up somewhere.

So, have I messed things up somehow?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

OscarDiggs posted:

Small spoiler question.

So, I found Ruby, started to head back to the Hotel and there was a massacre; most of the Hardy Boys dead. So, current major quest is the head to the island to figure out some ballistics.

For unrelated reasons I was asking about that (because I was stuck and didn't know how to continue.) I was told that heading to the island was pretty "End Game". I've only been playing for about 10 hours, and if I've gotten to end game after such a short of time, in a game thats supposed to be 35 hours if you're zipping through it, I think I've majorly hosed up somewhere.

The play time estimates given are way overstated. There's probably some side quests you've missed but probably nothing major. I think 10 hours is about what I had.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

Small spoiler question.

Your doing fine I think. I don't know where anyone is pulling 30 hour games unless you count restarting a character a bunch of times or something.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am quite curious about the more mystical/supernatural undertones (and overtones) that the game slowly but surely keeps pushing, particularly in some skill check descriptions. I just finished Jamais Vu and I am like "OH poo poo MORE TO COME"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Caidin posted:

Your doing fine I think. I don't know where anyone is pulling 30 hour games unless you count restarting a character a bunch of times or something.

The numbers from the Dev I think.

35 if you're being quick, 60 if you're investigating every little nook and cranny.

If I may then, for future playthroughs;

Is the trigger for the the confrontation the day, or finding Ruby?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The game tells you when you're reaching a point of no return or something like it. I don't know how long I've played, but it must have been at least 20 or 25 hours.

I haven't read all the books, and I haven't done some stuff I know I could've. There's probably more I'm not aware of.

The devs are possibly counting multiple playthroughs.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 19, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Well, whatever does it I need to know to plan next time.

If it's finding Ruby I need to leave that off as long as possible. If it's a time based thing then I need to rush finding her

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finding Ruby triggers the end. The day might trigger the end as well but I've only run through it once.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Finding Ruby triggers the end. The day might trigger the end as well but I've only run through it once.

Second run speed run, then.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Most official estimates are way above mark, but still, at 10 hours you must have rushed something fierce.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No it doesn't. Finding Ruby triggers the shootout which closes some things in the harbor, but going to the isle triggers the actual ending.

It may be also time limited, but if it is I haven't reached it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

itry posted:

No it doesn't. Finding Ruby triggers the shootout which closes some some things in the harbor, but going to the isle triggers the actualy ending.

the shootout closed off a few side quests in my game so it's basically the start of the endgame imo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Most official estimates are way above mark, but still, at 10 hours you must have rushed something fierce.

I get the feeling he didnt even break down doors completely unrelated to his investigation. :thunk:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zikan posted:

the shootout closed off a few side quests in my game so it's basically the start of the endgame imo

Well yeah, but only in the harbor. There's stuff to do beyond the water-lock.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I get the feeling he didnt even break down doors completely unrelated to his investigation. :thunk:

Everything's related. :tinfoil:

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

::(:

drat it. It didn't feel like I was rushing. It's only been 5 days. And since the passage of time of day isn't up to me, I don't understand how I could have screwed up this bad.

itry posted:

No it doesn't. Finding Ruby triggers the shootout which closes some things in the harbor, but going to the isle triggers the actual ending.

It may be also time limited, but if it is I haven't reached it.

What day are you on? Because thinking I had a 5 day time limit is what informed most of my decisions.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

Small spoiler question.

It's a 15-20 hour game, you're just playing it a little fast, which is normal.

I beat it in 16 hours and could have shaved off a bunch of time if I was going quickly.

A 2nd run through the game would probably only take me like 6-8 hours.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 19, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It sends the player into the endgame where the ending is available. I'm not here to argue semantics.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

OscarDiggs posted:

::(:

drat it. It didn't feel like I was rushing. It's only been 5 days. And since the passage of time of day isn't up to me, I don't understand how I could have screwed up this bad.

What day are you on? Because thinking I had a 5 day time limit is what informed most of my decisions.

I was on the fifth day when the shootout happened, then I woke up on the seventh day.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
kind of hard and dumb to estimate the length of something when the speed you go through it is almost entirely based on how fast you read

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The endgame happens on Day 6 if you don't trigger it earlier.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Regarding playtime: my first run lasted approximately 20 hours. The thing is this games playtime is heavily dependent on a ton of subjective factors, not the least of which is your personal reading speed. Complicating that is the fact that some builds have WAY MORE reading to do. I'm on my second run now and I'm encountering side quests and poo poo I was completely oblivious to the first time (as a result of skill choices) so that is also a factor.

When the devs say this is a 100 hour game or whatever I get the impression they mean "to see all the content" and not necessarily that a single playthrough is as long as Witcher 3, for instance.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Kyle Hyde posted:

Regarding playtime: my first run lasted approximately 20 hours. The thing is this games playtime is heavily dependent on a ton of subjective factors, not the least of which is your personal reading speed. Complicating that is the fact that some builds have WAY MORE reading to do. I'm on my second run now and I'm encountering side quests and poo poo I was completely oblivious to the first time (as a result of skill choices) so that is also a factor.

When the devs say this is a 100 hour game or whatever I get the impression they mean "to see all the content" and not necessarily that a single playthrough is as long as Witcher 3, for instance.

There's not 60 hours of content in this game. It's just the typical inflated nonsense hour count you always get from devs.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think the devs just overestimated the playtime for their first game release its not really a big deal there is plenty of game there for $40.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what is this game's start-to-crate time?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There are at least 2 playthroughs in this game, and that's already about 40 hours. :shrug:

Regardless, I think I got my money's worth.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You literally start inside a crate.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Al! posted:

what is this game's start-to-crate time?

If you take your time in the hotel, about 30 minutes

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Basileus777 posted:

There's not 60 hours of content in this game. It's just the typical inflated nonsense hour count you always get from devs.

Maybe not for you, but as I said in the quoted post, this is going to be a highly subjective game in this regard. Frankly I think measuring entertainment value in "hours of enjoyment" is loving stupid in the first place, but that's another discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Control Volume posted:

If you take your time in the hotel, about 30 minutes

Real talk if you go out on the balcony you can probably get it in about a minute.