Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I think the official estimates were considering reading time because well, I can certainly see people taking a long time in a playthrough.

Personally, "game-reading" for me registers pretty fast and shallow, a lot of the information I know is mostly dressing or fluff that do not need background thought-digestion. Disco Elysium is something else: the game has a lot of certain literary cues to tell you "poo poo is important" (but I also appreciate that there is outright explicit BIG FLASHING SIGN HEY THIS poo poo IS IMPORTANT like with the Jamais Vu idea and it is always good policy to do stuff like that in a game), which makes me often stop for a break and let other parts of the brain do some work. These breaks can easily add up, and make a playthrough really massive, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

:allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Real talk if you go out on the balcony you can probably get it in about a minute.

You cant actually interact with the crate (only a shoe) so I reject this statement

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Kyle Hyde posted:

Maybe not for you, but as I said in the quoted post, this is going to be a highly subjective game in this regard. Frankly I think measuring entertainment value in "hours of enjoyment" is loving stupid in the first place, but that's another discussion.

Who is measuring value by hour count? The game is a perfect length, it'd be a worse experience if it were longer. If it were 3 times longer to get to that 60 hours, it would have had to be a completely different game. The small and intimate setting without a bunch of busywork fits with what they were going for far more than some epic length would.

Basileus777 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 19, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

taqueso posted:

You literally start inside a crate.

when you think about it, your eye sockets are really just crates that hold your eyeballs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I'm not "freaking out." I'm just curious about what to expect.

Its not just you, but sorry I was flippant. But everybody just relax and have fun :)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Just finished it. Holy gently caress how is this game SO GOOD.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The real question is when do you see the first barrel?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like the thought that just lets you zoom further out.

Just... why

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Just... why

If only there was a thought that let you scroll the map without moving the player character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Just... why

the little man on the screen, it moves! and then he gets farther and farther away

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Basileus777 posted:

If only there was a thought that let you scroll the map without moving the player character.

Oh god yes. i am only just getting used to this now.

Also i'm at 8 hours played and at the end of day 2, my to do lists just keep getting bigger and i'm barely knocking anything off them. The end game is triggered by doing something and not which day i'm on isnt it?

edit: also that planescape torment review and the comments are hilarious. the relentless forced fighting sequences which everyone playing high INT has to constantly run away from through the entire playtime pretty much guarantees it cannot be a 10/10. I wish there was a mod to remove all combat from PST.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 19, 2019

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Basileus777 posted:

Who is measuring value by hour count? The game is a perfect length, it'd be a worse experience if it were longer. If it were 3 times longer to get to that 60 hours, it would have had to be a completely different game. The small and intimate setting without a bunch of busywork fits with what they were going for far more than some epic length would.

Most people? But it sounds like you mean "it took me this long from start to finish" which is not the same thing as "there are x hours of content" which is more of a measure of time to experience everything the game has to offer. Something you cannot possibly do in a single play through.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Is the name and portrait the same every time?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Eat The Rich posted:

Is the name and portrait the same every time?

There is nothing procedural or random in the game except skill successes or failures. You are an established character with a name and a history but whether you find that information out is up to you to decide.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I measure value by hour count, but only in the sense that I want at least 10 hours of gameplay if Im spending 40+ dollars on a game, and DE blew past that mark on day 3. I think finishing in 10 hours is only possible if youre really speeding through the verbosity, especially since time only advances with dialogue

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I can't really see doing 10 hours without skipping all the text and already knowing what to do.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Kyle Hyde posted:

Most people? But it sounds like you mean "it took me this long from start to finish" which is not the same thing as "there are x hours of content" which is more of a measure of time to experience everything the game has to offer. Something you cannot possibly do in a single play through.

I've read and seen enough of other people's playthroughs to know that there isn't that much content that I've missed. The game is a lot smaller and less reactive than it seems once you start reading that most people had the same outcomes and experiences you did. I've seen no mentions of questlines I didn't interact with. I love this game, but it's not big and there's not a whole bunch of hidden stuff that takes long to interact with.

I'm not knocking the game for any of this, but there's nothing to justify a 60 hour tag on it. That's not the game they shipped. And thank god.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Basileus777 posted:

:hmmyes:

cubicle gangster posted:

Also i'm at 8 hours played and at the end of day 2, my to do lists just keep getting bigger and i'm barely knocking anything off them. The end game is triggered by doing something and not which day i'm on isnt it?

Pwnstar posted:

The endgame happens on Day 6 if you don't trigger it earlier.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 19, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
getting double sixes to ace the 3% chance on the last inspection on the body in the giant bear freezer was the best victory Ive felt in any game for a long time

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Oh poo poo i better get a move on. Not really been trying to solve the case yet... i wish i hadn't wasted a full half of day 2 talking to the woman on the boat.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It always feels great when you ace some impossible poo poo you just tried because it was there and Kim is loving dumbfounded the whole time.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The script for the game is about a million words. I imagine it could take 60 hours and multiple playthroughs to see all of that. (for reference Witcher 3 with expansions is around 800,000)

Also there's about 100 quests in the game. So if you didn't finish 100 quests there's still stuff to see.

Also 70 characters. So if you didn't talk to 70 characters, again more to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game feels extremely China Mieville. Getting big The City & the City vibes all over the place.

Right down to the communism.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm on Day 2 and I'm pretty much stuck for leads. My attempt to find a lead on drug smuggling has failed. I can't go anywhere else and it's a long time until night with nothing I can think of to make progress on. So, am I essentially railroaded into helping Evarat Claire bust down a door for the union?

But anyway, if you want to make some extra cash in a new game, avoid clicking on any green bubbles until after you have talked to Joyce Messier on her boat about the history of the White Pines company. You want to internalize the thought "The Fifteenth Indotribe" - it gives you 10 cents for every green dot you click on and raises the learning cap for Savoire Faire. It's not a lot, but those bubbles will add up if you get a lot of them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm on Day 2 and I'm pretty much stuck for leads. My attempt to find a lead on drug smuggling has failed. I can't go anywhere else and it's a long time until night with nothing I can think of to make progress on. So, am I essentially railroaded into helping Evarat Claire bust down a door for the union?

But anyway, if you want to make some extra cash in a new game, avoid clicking on any green bubbles until after you have talked to Joyce Messier on her boat about the history of the White Pines company. You want to internalize the thought "The Fifteenth Indotribe" - it gives you 10 cents for every green dot you click on and raises the learning cap for Savoire Faire. It's not a lot, but those bubbles will add up if you get a lot of them.

there's a guy who I kept walking passed leaning on a lorry south of the racist dude. he breaks the drug thing wide open.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

abigserve posted:

there's a guy who I kept walking passed leaning on a lorry south of the racist dude. he breaks the drug thing wide open.

If you mean the Tommy LeHomme, the poet by the FALN truck, that's no good. I locked all those checks already, and I have higher priorities than boosting Empathy and Conceptualization.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If you mean the Tommy LeHomme, the poet by the FALN truck, that's no good. I locked all those checks already, and I have higher priorities than boosting Empathy and Conceptualization.

Try harassing the racist truck driver

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Do you even need to remove the body from the tree to start/finish the whole Hardie Boys chain? Its likely that you could finish the game without talking to Evrart at all

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How do I open the door behind the greenhouse? It just rattles.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ending spoiler:Bigger question can you finish the game without doing anything at all? The tribunal happens no matter what and all you do is push up the time.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i just bought the game, it crashes shortly after launch. it loads into a screen then freezes and i dunno how to fix it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

wiegieman posted:

How do I open the door behind the greenhouse? It just rattles.

Dont worry about it unless youre explicitly pointed to it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Ending spoiler:Bigger question can you finish the game without doing anything at all? The tribunal happens no matter what and all you do is push up the time.

If you scrounge up 50 real, that would be enough to cover the required hotel costs and a book, so you can certainly attempt it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hub Cat posted:

Try harassing the racist truck driver

Thanks, but after leading me in circles for a bit, that all ended up going nowhere. I don't have close to enough Half-Light. Oh well.

EDIT: ...Now that I think about it, the guy was really insistent that I not pay attention to the speakers... Time to shop? That went nowhere.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 19, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Dont worry about it unless youre explicitly pointed to it.

I was, and I still just get a rattle.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

wiegieman posted:

I was, and I still just get a rattle.

Did you pick up the key?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm loving the end-game wrapup of Harry; it's like the endings for fallout except instead of all the locales you've passed through its your psyche.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm loving the end-game wrapup of Harry; it's like the endings for fallout except instead of all the locales you've passed through its your psyche.

It's nice seeing this text slightly differ. I wonder what all the signs of being a high school gym teacher the game tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I mean the door that Evrart asks you to open. Unless there's key I'm missing for that.