Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

Does it entertain you? That's really what it boils down to. If it's a chore to watch, if it just makes you angry (& not in the good way of OOOH THAT BASTARD I HATE WON BY CHEATING) or bored it's bad.

There's more to it of course, but as a first step that's really what's important. Once you find what you like them you can worry about botches & heat & if the booking is logical & the selling. Just watch something & see if it vibes with you. If it doesn't, try something different. Try AEW. Try Impact. Try New Japan. Try Dragon Gate. Try CMLL. Try AAA. Try Gatoh Move. Try GCW. Try old poo poo. There's so much out there from the past and from the current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

i will let you know if something is good or bad, keep an eye out for my posts in the live threads

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

At anypoint did something happen that made you lift your feet off the ground, put your hands to your mouth and your eyes to go wide? If so then yes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Austin and Jericho in the ring after the show goes off the air. Austin throws a beer to Jericho to tries to catch it behind his back all cool. He misses.

Jericho and Austin freeze, Austin staring at Jericho, Jericho looking like a deer in headlights.

Austin tosses him another beer, Jericho drops it and immediately throws a tantrum, knowing what's coming.

Austin calmly walks over and does a baby toss to Jericho, who has the look of someone that knows he hosed up and is accepting the condescension but is still mad about it.

Jericho drinks beer, eats Stunner. Absolute perfection.

Quoting myself because I found the gif and it's even better.

https://i.imgur.com/5SYVnNS.mp4

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pollyanna posted:

If you forget (even for a little while) that they are play fighting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikegal posted:

only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS

This may still be my favorite Tony Schiavone call of all time, the only thing that comes close is probably,"Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell."

Tony Schiavone posted:

Wait a minute.....

:aaa:

THAT'S NOT CICLOPE!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

This may still be my favorite Tony Schiavone call of all time, the only thing that comes close is probably,"Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell."

straight to hell

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kennel posted:

If you forget (even for a little while) that they are play fighting.

I mean, I guess I see bits and pieces of good stuff then in this AEW Dark video, but I find it hard to care much about all these jabronis.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You know when people like AJ and Kylie Rae have belts built into their tights, like with belt loops and stuff? Are the belts functional or just for aesthetic purposes?

For example
https://twitter.com/BellToBelles/status/1181926094838079489?s=19

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Jericho's run as Undisputed champion was really bad but the lone bright spot was the leadup to his title defense vs Rock at Royal Rumble '02. Jericho losing his loving mind screaming his lungs out and demanding he not be dismissed, disrespected, or treated as a joke, only for the Rock to calmly stroll up the ramp, walk a little circle around Jericho, and confirm that he is, in fact, taking Jericho very seriously, and none of his usual Rock-isms about whooping candy asses and whatnot are in any way meant to be funny.

The few times Rock got quiet and serious were really effective. Jericho's run as a tantrum-throwing inept fluke champion less effective, but that particular promo was really good.

This was such a great moment. He cuts The Rock off, telling him he won’t look past him, and The Rock stands there for a moment, like “this son of a bitch interrupted me.” And instead of blowing him off, he slowly gets out of the ring, and cuts the promo you describe going up the ramp, walks around him, and then just stops right face to face to say “if you smell... what the Rock... is cooking.” with all seriousness, which is such an inversion of the catchphrase.

And then he put him over.

And then we got “Jericho babysits Stephanie’s dog” to build to a Mania main event. :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pollyanna posted:

I suggest watching Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from WrestleMania 6, followed by Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. The drastic difference in quality should be helpful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ll take a look at these - thanks.

The crowd starts chanting “holy poo poo” here: https://youtu.be/I7_nxdftYks?t=51m12s but I don’t understand the significance of the move. Why do they chant?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pollyanna posted:

The crowd starts chanting “holy poo poo” here: https://youtu.be/I7_nxdftYks?t=51m12s but I don’t understand the significance of the move. Why do they chant?

You should probably watch the move again

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

dropping a human's head (or at least simulating it) onto the ring's apron is considered a top level gnarly as hell move with a higher danger factor than a regular move. Kenny does that snap-Dragon Suplex as a part of his normal moveset, so seeing on the apron made it look gnarly as hell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the apron area of the ring, where the mat meets the side, is the hardest part of the ring. it also makes for a dramatic place to do big moves because the opponent tends to then fly or fall off onto the floor, which is more visually interesting than laying on the mat.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Pollyanna posted:

Wrestling rings are basically just big frames that they place wooden planks on and then layer some (thin) padding and a mat over it. The further out toward the edges you go the less give/bounce the ring has, and the more it hurts. I think they slightly exaggerate it on commentary for the sake of drama.

As far as the move itself, there's been an increased awareness/concern for wrestlers' head and neck health in the last couple years due to guys like Daniel Bryan and Katsuyori Shibata being forcibly retired due them going a bit too hard on their own bodies and ending up with serious neck and concussion issues. The Dragon Suplex, obviously, lands you pretty much square on the back of your neck and head, so it's more likely to draw a more visceral reaction from wrestling fans, though as far as I know Kenny's never hurt anybody with it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Worth noting that the ring apron isn't that much harder than the regular mat (and arguably there's no difference other than the loss of springiness), but it still sucks to take bumps on, so guys doing moves on the apron is played up for dramatic effect and usually a huge turning point in the match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Incidentally, nothing makes it clearer that JR and Excalibur are calling that match in post than JR getting the name of that move correct.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's immensely harder than the rest of the ring as there is not anywhere for excess energy to go on one side. if you take a bump on the apron it heats up to 485-525 degrees fahrenheit for up to two full seconds depending on the strength of the impact.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

That was a really funny question to me. To me it's like, "So I'm listening to this song..how do I know if I like it?" Well, pal, just watch wrestling and if you like it then it's good, to you. If it's different than what I think, I'll without hesitation clown your rear end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, there is an element of self-awareness necessary if you're thinking about it for the purpose of learning your taste in a new hobby. Like, absolutely just watch a show and decide if you like it, but then maybe ask yourself what you liked ABOUT it, and why. Was it the presentation, was it a particular wrestler, or a certain kind of move or match, was it a promo... and then that can give you a grounding to explore more. But yes, it's similar to music or books or TV. Watch/read/listen to thing, figure out why you liked thing, ask people who know about thing if they can tell you where to find other things similar to thing you liked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I'm not asking whether I like something. I already know that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's been interesting to see all the people getting into wrestling as adults because of the increased ease of access and prominence of all these different promotions around the world. I started watching when I was 9 so I have zero frame of reference for what it's like to do that. It must be such a loving weird thing to try out for the first time in your 20s or 30s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

There are two elements that make a good wrestling match. Ideally both are combined, but you can have a good match with a minimum of one if the other is high enough.

The first is cool moves.

The second is acting like a bad rear end.

If the wrestlers are doing both you are watching a great match.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The answer is the wrestling is good if Chris Jericho is involved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gavok posted:

I suggest watching Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from WrestleMania 6, followed by Hulk Hogan vs. Ultimate Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. The drastic difference in quality should be helpful.

What I have learned is that Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are both Regrettable.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Notable good matches:
Macho Man vs Ultimate Warrior Mania 7
Benoit vs Angle Royal Rumble 03
The Shield vs The Wyatts Elimination Chamber 14

And of course, Triple H vs HBK in Hell in a Cell at Bad Blood 2004

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What I have learned is that Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are both Regrettable.

If you want to see Hogan be good at wrestling, watch his matches in Japan. For some reason he actually gave a poo poo there.

My favourite Jericho moments are "ME WANT TITLE MATCH" and the breakup of Jeri-Show (where he was stood outside the arena at RAW with his conspiracy sign as he had been moved to Smackdown.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLq1-8pvnOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8CfOxXRxsI

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 19, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly, like 99.5% of old school wrestlers are/were awful garbage trash people. The amount of those has thankfully decreased in the modern times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which reminds me of the first two minutes of this (you can stop watching at that point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBunjK8Xg5A

"Chris is really smart, he's a good guy!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extradite THIS! posted:

Honestly, like 99.5% of old school wrestlers are/were awful garbage trash people. The amount of those has thankfully decreased in the modern times.

Hogan wouldn't even make a top 100 list of worst people in wrestling history.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

There are two elements that make a good wrestling match. Ideally both are combined, but you can have a good match with a minimum of one if the other is high enough.

The first is cool moves.

The second is acting like a bad rear end.

If the wrestlers are doing both you are watching a great match.

Don't listen to that new school poppycock. The sign of a good match is psychology and building to a finish by working a body part. To show this here is a youtube series about the headlock....

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catching up on AEW, and I would like to say one thing

I missed Tony Shiavone so bad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Randaconda posted:

Catching up on AEW, and I would like to say one thing

I missed Tony Shiavone so bad

Tony is a perfect case study for how much the overall product can elevate or sink an announcer. WCW's dying days were bad for everyone and it definitely sapped the passion out of Tony, who was simply done with wrestling by the time WWE bought them out. He stayed out of the business for a long-rear end time and we all thought he was done for good, even when he dipped his toes back in with a podcast and some MLW appearances.

Then AEW came calling, used him on the beloved Control Center segments, and suddenly he loved wrestling again and is calling shows on TNT every week like he never skipped a beat. It's amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Tony is a perfect case study for how much the overall product can elevate or sink an announcer. WCW's dying days were bad for everyone and it definitely sapped the passion out of Tony, who was simply done with wrestling by the time WWE bought them out. He stayed out of the business for a long-rear end time and we all thought he was done for good, even when he dipped his toes back in with a podcast and some MLW appearances.

Then AEW came calling, used him on the beloved Control Center segments, and suddenly he loved wrestling again and is calling shows on TNT every week like he never skipped a beat. It's amazing.

I'm in the middle of the third episode right now, and it's like... all the good parts of Nitro*? Tony being good, a mixture of styles, and a main event stable running wild on everybody.

(and this is a shoot! comments)

Now if only Tony Khan would grow an epic mustache like his dad

*I was always a NWA/WCW person growing up, so WWF/WWE never quite scratched the itch.

EDIT: I have no idea who Riho is, and she's tiny and adorable, but I'm afraid she's gonna killed, being that small :ohdear:

EDIT: The Jim Ross retirement tour is still better than anybody in WWE, do not @me.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 19, 2019

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
As it turns out, wrestling shows are better when you aren't ashamed of wrestling and don't treat it like a joke

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

As it turns out, wrestling shows are better when you aren't ashamed of wrestling and don't treat it like a joke

Right? It's great not having it be an ordeal to get through, with Vince's open contempt for the money paying public on display.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
So, we all know that a) Vince McMahon has total control over creative, and b) his ideas are absolutely insane. Despite that, there must have been some angles over the years that have been so batshit that people have managed to veto them. What are the ones we know of? I've heard of the Steph incest angle, but there's gotta be more that have leaked out...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Answers Me posted:

So, we all know that a) Vince McMahon has total control over creative, and b) his ideas are absolutely insane. Despite that, there must have been some angles over the years that have been so batshit that people have managed to veto them. What are the ones we know of? I've heard of the Steph incest angle, but there's gotta be more that have leaked out...

Somebody once pitched a wrestler being a thawed out Nazi soldier. Apparently when the idea was pitched, Vince just stood up and walked out of the room in complete silence.

Edit: Foley once wrote what I pray/assume/desperately hope was a fake angle he pitched about incest cannibal serial killers or something. I'm fairly certain he was just trying to prove a point in his book about one of the censorship groups of the time who was trying to get WWE banned for being bad for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’s been waiting 13 years for the perfect moment to deploy the greatest idea he’s heard in his entire life