Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/btln/status/1183780137646477312?s=19

Giulia quit by LINE message and Battle News got the Ice Ribbon roster to recreate the moment they read it for this photograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thank you for not being one of the several people on twitter who apparently believe a photojournalist happened to catch the exact moment all four of them saw the same surprising news on the same iPhone (e: except Banny, who has her own phone)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom have issued an apology for Giulia's appearance on the show yesterday which makes it sound like she actually is still under some form of Ice Ribbon contract.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/1184040611860471808

"We apologize profusely for any confusion and distress that may have arisen from Giulia appearing and speaking at our Korakuen Hall show yesterday. Shortly, we will have Giulia resume discussions with the promotion, in hopes of reaching an amicable solution."

Followed by a bunch of replies real mad about how it's been handled in general, and several mad about how it reads like Stardom is putting full responsibility on Giulia in particular

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 15, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Well I hope for her sake they work it out because if she can't work for Stardom, I'm not sure Ice Ribbon will be happily taking her back any time soon.

The Ice Ribbon President did tweet out something more conciliatory this morning that said he wasn't angry but disappointed they couldn't give her a proper send off or something along those lines.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Two updates on Ice Ribbon

1. The President has said Giulia is still a Neoplus (their parent company) employee and is absent from work without leave. They haven't been contacted by Stardom yet.

2. Tequila Saya has postponed her retirement until Ribbonmania on December 31st.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anything to this rumor of NJPW buying/investing in Stardom?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'd sum it up as there being a lot of smoke; but we haven't seen the fire yet

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

IceAgeComing posted:

I'd sum it up as there being a lot of smoke; but we haven't seen the fire yet
And I can see there being firewood to fuel the fire, i.e. Rossy's age and health.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/bushi_PR/status/1184652817203482624?s=19

IT'S HAPPENED

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Get rid of Rossy, pls

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Chris James 2 posted:

Get rid of Rossy, pls

The article mentions that they "expect a gradual shift to a new corporate structure, including Rossy." That's not explicitly saying he won't be involved, but that's the implication. There'll likely be more information in a couple hours.

e: nevermind, he's still going to be Stardom CEO

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 17, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bushiroad are holding a live conference at 2pm JST (in 1. 5 hours)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

1: As reported today on the front cover of Tokyo Sports newspaper, Stardom is now a part of Bushiroad. Stardom is no longer a corporation and becomes part of the Bushiroad group “Kix Road”. Kickboxing promotion “Knock Out” is also a part of Kix Road.
2: On December 1, 2019, the company name will be changed from Kix Road Co., Ltd. to Bushiroad Fight Co., Ltd. Rossy Ogawa (Hiroshi Ogawa) will remain the Chief Executive Officer of Stardom. The name of the wrestling promotion remains Stardom.
3: BS Nippon Television broadcasting, advertising and global development will begin shortly thereafter. The first big show will be held on April 29, 2020 at Tokyo’s Ota Ward Gym. In 2021 there will be a big 10th anniversary show.
4: in 2020 Stardom will run Korakuen Hall 14 times. August 8 & 9, 2020 Stardom will run Korakuen Hall on consecutive days. Details will come later.
5: December 7th and 8th, 2019 Stardom will take part in "CharaExpo USA 2019" held at the Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim ,CA. Stardom will put on the following tag team match: Mayu Iwatani & Tam Nakano vs. Sumie Sakai & Nicole Savoy.
6: A TV program will air on BS NTV and TOKYO MX beginning in January 2020. On BS NTV (every Thursday 24: 30 ~) and TOKYO MX (this one is a 30 minute program). Stardom World will remain as it is.
7: Bushiroad in regards to contracts: “We will create contracts with each wrestler. We want to create an environment where the wrestlers can concentrate on pro wrestling, and we are expecting to bring in excellent wrestlers from all over the world.
8:”We would like to listen to the thoughts of each wrestler and take those thoughts into account when creating this new work environment.”
9: Advertising / Global marketing Strategy by Bushiroad will begin starting in January 2020 to include more "Weekly Pro-Wrestling" coverage, traffic advertisements, TV spots, etc., in addition to guest appearances at events hosted by Bushi Road.

Starting here: https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1184696555317497858

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hana Kimura will be appearing on Terrace House (a very popular Japanese reality show).

I don't understand the decision to have Bea beat her. She has a lot of crossover appeal, and she's almost single handedly shifting the demographics at Stardom shows away from the creepy old men. Pretty much every young woman I see at those shows is wearing Hana's merch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1184727632576831495?s=19

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if what eventually happens is that Rossy is sort of put in a ceremonial position that has no real responsibilities and they put others in charge - I don't think that they'll toss him to the curb unless something major happens though.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hana Kimura will be appearing on Terrace House (a very popular Japanese reality show).

I don't understand the decision to have Bea beat her. She has a lot of crossover appeal, and she's almost single handedly shifting the demographics at Stardom shows away from the creepy old men. Pretty much every young woman I see at those shows is wearing Hana's merch.

All I can think is that they want her win to be on a major stage - but in that case then why book that match at this time? Unless they think "she won the 5 Star GP!" is enough to elevate her so they can save the title change for later.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

gently caress yeah!!! I'm hooting at 5:30am about this. hoot

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Meltzer saying WWE made an offer too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Misread that as WWE trying to get somebody onto Terrace House for a moment there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

hope even with separate streaming services they start live streaming under new ownership. glad they're not doing the "new japan women's division approach" at least.

IceAgeComing posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if what eventually happens is that Rossy is sort of put in a ceremonial position that has no real responsibilities and they put others in charge - I don't think that they'll toss him to the curb unless something major happens though.

All I can think is that they want her win to be on a major stage - but in that case then why book that match at this time? Unless they think "she won the 5 Star GP!" is enough to elevate her so they can save the title change for later.

i don't get how they can really get a bigger stage than "korakuen hall after winning the 5 star"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should make Stardom World a part of NJPW World.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

IceAgeComing posted:

I don't get it either. What better setup do they need than the Korakuen show after she won the 5*GP?

I can, however, think of some things why they didn't:
1) They shifted to a holding pattern with the Bushiroad deal and are not going to change things up until it's fully in effect/saving the title change until then.
2) They think Bea getting exposure through AEW is still better business.
3) They don't really trust Hana with long singles matches. I haven't seen the title match yet, but I thought the 5*GP final suffered from this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hana feuding with some other girl and poo poo talking behind each others backs and she falls in love with a musician or model who is also only there to promote their brand hell yeah forever

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should make Stardom World a part of NJPW World.

They can't. NJPW World is part owned by TV Asahi, and Stardom's new TV deal is with a rival station.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I’m happy that I can see Stardom on Nittele now. I can’t help but think that Japanese promotions are seeing the threat that WWE poses to their market and are trying to cut it off at the pass. I’m definitely glad that Stardom wasn’t bought by WWE either.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

some insight on the Stardom negotiations from Dave Meltzer and Fumi Saito from this weeks Pacific Rim - worth a listen.

The big take away is that WWE were comically underprepared in negotiations with Stardom. They didn't have any plan and when they were asked questions about basic things like "who will run NXT Japan?"; "when will you launch?"; "will the schedule be part time and full time?"; "what will our wrestlers do if its a part time schedule?" and "when will this PC open" they had no answers which left the impression that they were buying just to shut them down and cannibalise bits they want. They're big push was to offer a spot in the Hall of Fame to Rossy Ogawa who apparently considered it but then realised it was silly.

Had been in discussions with Bushiroad since February and those intensified in August; and clearly he thought they have the better plan and went with them. I can't imagine it was better financially but they went with them anyway which says something about WWEs approach in Japan and might explain why apparently no one really wants to work with them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's the difference between the US and UK scenes, where the promoters are largely WWE fanboys who are giddy that Vince has in some small way noticed them and are delighted to have 'made it' and Japan where WWE doesn't quite have that monopoly over the industry and promoters are looking to grow their business, their brand and their talent.

Edit: Meiko's apparently for sure working for WWE at this point, per Dave.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 18, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Arisa & Tam's official team photo is something else

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1182546239599988736

:allears:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

frankenfreak posted:

Arisa & Tam's official team photo is something else

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1182546239599988736

:allears:

Fuckin' perfect.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When did Tam get sad?

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Arisa and Tam's one sided feud is the best thing going in STARDOM.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What's their feud about?

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
When Arisa came back from an extended absence from wrestling, she was immediately inserted back into her old tag team with Mayu and moved up to basically be the second in command of STARS. Tam, who had been teaming with Mayu, got very adorably annoyed by the "new girl" and went on a world tour of trying to avoid interacting with Arisa (including when they team together). Arisa thinks Tam is great and wants to be friends, and will stop at nothing to get a hug/handshake/high five from her.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

They had a match in May which was basically the two of them kicking the poo poo out of each other and Arisa earned grudging respect from Tam but she still doesn’t like her.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

oh man I almost forgot that maki itoh is gona win the title tonight

:yayclod:

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

ItohRespectArmy posted:

oh man I almost forgot that maki itoh is gona win the title tonight

:yayclod:

She is not in the main event so I may have some bad news for ya

Also, I love Maki but Yuna has unbelievably good entrance music and I'll kinda be sad if she loses???

Nani????

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 19, 2019

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Extremely blessed Friday night

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im so proud of her oh my loving god she did it.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1185417377367805952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
That main was sloppy as heck but dang it I had fun.