Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i'll never forget when i saw someone named marluxia (kingdom hearts) valentine (presumably ff7) and that was the worst name i ever saw in ffxiv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is it mandatory to do a firstname lastname i hate it for some reason

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

is it mandatory to do a firstname lastname i hate it for some reason

yeah

it makes it much easier to actually get the name you want though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

You're fighting a losing battle if you want RPG to mean that instead of being a meaningless collection of letters indicating "game with levelups"

I'm not trying to redefine it I'm just being clear what I mean when I'm saying its an RPG of this kind and not the other kind

I'm just being clear what kind of game Disco Elysium is was that not obvious from context?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not trying to redefine it I'm just being clear what I mean when I'm saying its an RPG of this kind and not the other kind

I'm just being clear what kind of game Disco Elysium is was that not obvious from context?

it's definitely an rpg far closer in it's lineage to tabletop games than to something like mass effect 3

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah

it makes it much easier to actually get the name you want though

There must be a ton of Sephiroths.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

to seriouspost explaining a shitpost:

My point was more that the word RPG doesn't even really encompass that genre anymore in the context of modern video game discourse (not that I've played Disco Elysium specifically so I'm extrapolating from how you described it). You would be far from the first person I've met to insist that RPG still means "a game where you roleplay" and that things like final fantasy aren't really RPGs and I kinda got the feeling that you were saying that by calling this game-without-levelups and emphasizing "ACTUAL roleplaying". It all felt very similar to people I've talked with in the past who more or less hold the position that JRPGs aren't RPGs, rather than accepting that the meanings of words change

all hiding behind the veneer of a shitpost which was not intended to be aggressive but just kinda jokey about how RPG is a meaningless set of letters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There must be a ton of Sephiroths.

I have seen:

Lightning Farron
Claire Farron
Eclaire Farron
Lightningcat Farron

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One thing that WoW does better than FFXIV is, of course, third-party add-ons are allowed and are a super duper active community

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

One thing that WoW does better than FFXIV is, of course, third-party add-ons are allowed and are a super duper active community

whats up elvui, maybe tukui?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I've heard that they're so prolific that Blizzard doesn't bother making functional UIs so 3rd party addons are basically people doing Blizzard's job for no money

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard that they're so prolific that Blizzard doesn't bother making functional UIs so 3rd party addons are basically people doing Blizzard's job for no money

They eventually just integrate all the best third party innovations into the base UI.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

whats up elvui, maybe tukui?

Elvui!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/?q=sephiroth

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

they definitely assume you're using DBM and all that junk

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Sick, that's what I used for almost the entire time I played. Great UI, especially if you disabled a lot of the stuff around the edges and filled with the standard raiding stuff like DBM/Omen/Clique&Grid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I run ACT during roulettes and act as toxic as possible.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ElvUI was awesome. I wish I didn't have brainworms that caused me to basically try and recreate its functionality using 26 separate addons that all broke every time they pushed an update lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

none of the many mini indies i have in my steam backlog speak to me so for some bizarre reason i find myself this friday night getting drunk getting high and playing... soul blazer for the snes?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cowcaster posted:

none of the many mini indies i have in my steam backlog speak to me so for some bizarre reason i find myself this friday night getting drunk getting high and playing... soul blazer for the snes?

Can you pet Turbo?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my MMO ui must always have as many buttons on the screen as possible, with as many of them filled up with emotes and mini pets as i can muster

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ive never had a ghost post before

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

not a bad choice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Can you pet Turbo?

well his bones for sure

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

my MMO ui must always have as many buttons on the screen as possible, with as many of them filled up with emotes and mini pets as i can muster

It’s beautiful

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

I have seen:

Lightningcat Farron

I met that one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

to seriouspost explaining a shitpost:

My point was more that the word RPG doesn't even really encompass that genre anymore in the context of modern video game discourse (not that I've played Disco Elysium specifically so I'm extrapolating from how you described it). You would be far from the first person I've met to insist that RPG still means "a game where you roleplay" and that things like final fantasy aren't really RPGs and I kinda got the feeling that you were saying that by calling this game-without-levelups and emphasizing "ACTUAL roleplaying". It all felt very similar to people I've talked with in the past who more or less hold the position that JRPGs aren't RPGs, rather than accepting that the meanings of words change

all hiding behind the veneer of a shitpost which was not intended to be aggressive but just kinda jokey about how RPG is a meaningless set of letters

I DID NOT INSIST THAT

You are being loving weird cheetah.

I don't care what RPG means. Define it however you wish! I'm just trying to say "disco is this". No part of saying what it is means I think the word RPG should mean THIS or THAT. Neither matters. Its completely irrelevant. You're crazy.

"You used a word that someone stupid used once so now I'm going to pretend you said what that person said" is hosed up! Stop this!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I DID NOT INSIST THAT

I don't care what RPG means. Define it however you wish! I'm just trying to say "disco is this". No part of saying what it is means I think the word RPG should mean THIS or THAT. Neither matters. Its completely irrelevant. You're crazy.

"You used a word that someone stupid used once so now I'm going to pretend you said what that person said" is hosed up! Stop this!

calm down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Disco Elysium is a Planescape-like with no combat gameplay mechanics

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

I DID NOT INSIST THAT

You're assuming a lot more hostility on my part than was present in either of my posts

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You're assuming a lot more hostility on my part than was present in either of my posts

Its not hostility, its putting words in my mouth in a really not cool way. Just don't do it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Disco Elysium has a lot in common with Dark Souls,

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this is constructive criticism, but if every time you post something you get into an argument about people you accuse of misunderstanding your post, maybe the issue is how you word your posts in the first place

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
That's the quickest meltdown yet iirc

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite video game genre is "number go up em up"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

this is constructive criticism, but if every time you post something you get into an argument about people you accuse of misunderstanding your post, maybe the issue is how you word your posts in the first place

This is exceptionally unfair. I've been posting all day and not had any problems with anybody. So, its hardly "every time". >_>

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Roth posted:

I have good news

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147690/NGU_IDLE/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Roth posted:

Jeff Gerstmann summed it up when discussing clickers, all games are literally about numbers going up, some are just more nakedly blunt about it than others

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Roth posted:

I like games where stuff blows up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Roth posted:

we call those incrementals, now