Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vitamin P posted:

The old truism that a dictator negotiates better than a democrat has 100% held true this whole episode, when Johnson did his YOLO negotiation style and suggested he legit didn't give a poo poo about having no democratic mandate he has the power gently caress you, suddenly the deal that the EU said for almost a year was inviolate and couldn't be changed did get changed. Just like the original deal was pro-EU because T-May had to answer to a democracy and the EU didn't so the EU was stronger.

You're absolutely right that Boris being shameless has benefitted him. The left-wing critique of the EU hinges entirely on the question that where exactly is the point that the EU is even able to feel shame or democratic response? Where is the culpability and is there a specific interruption point in its processes? Hint it's nowhere, the EU is poo poo.

That's quite the take. Whose interests has the EU violated in dictatorial rampage when negotiating either of these deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
As for tomorrow, Portsmouth voted Leave but my Labour MP (the first Portsmouth South ever returned in an election) has said he's already going to vote it down so I know my representative is doing his part

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just as a palate cleanser for the horrific mutated monstrosities of pages past.

Cute little monster!

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Sulphagnist posted:

Psst, the EU basically didn't give an inch of ground in the new deal. It's just the May deal except instead of the entire UK being in the backstop (to avoid DUP opposing the deal) Northern Ireland is in the backstop instead, which for the EU doesn't really matter because either way Ireland isn't hosed. Also the political declaration was fine-tuned so that the future relationship got downgraded to a free trade agreement.

Yeah I was trying to point out how the EU did reopen what they explicitly called an unopenable deal but accidently implied that the Boris deal is at all better than Mays, it isn't better in any way beyond selling better at home.

The point was the EU lies literally every single day and there is no accountability mechanism when they do.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 18, 2019

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's quite the take. Whose interests has the EU violated in dictatorial rampage when negotiating either of these deals?

It's obviously impossible to know, that's my point. The European Commission and so the leadership of the European Council are entirely unelected, they have no link, even momentarily which would produce polls, to actual people and their actual interests. If the EU, and be real we're talking about the EC, is stepping on people then what is the mechanism by which the people would be able to voice their displeasure? There isn't any but if we then go to secondary indicators then the EC more often than not does not come off well.

If you want the most obvious specific example of peoples interests being stamped on despite their democratic stance being counter then Greece in the lead up to the Troika bailout and every single day the Greek people have suffered since.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

The European Commission and so the leadership of the European Council are entirely unelected
The European Commission is made up of people proposed by the democratically elected governments of Europe whose heads of state form the European Council.

The leader of the European Commission is proposed by the elected EC and is then voted in or not by the elected parliament.

Where are you finding the democratic deficit here?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

jBrereton posted:

BXP talking points.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

jBrereton posted:

The European Commission is made up of people proposed by the democratically elected governments of Europe whose heads of state form the European Council.

The leader of the European Commission is proposed by the elected EC and is then voted in or not by the elected parliament.

Even when trying to stan the EU as democratic you didn't even mention the EP lol.

You are proscribing a legitimacy-by-proxy to justify the EC. The makeup of the EC was not decided by democracy as the conception of it's most important roles were created between relevant national elections. The roles have since outlasted the democratic governments that rubberstamped them. The best allegory and also true conception was imagine jobs were given to people because Thatcherite or Blairite governments didn't nope them and didn't give their populaces any say. Then those jobs were passed along based on the internal structures those existing internal leaders created. It's a recipe for poo poo leadership with no system of accountability and that is exactly what the EU is, and the shittiness multiplies because the only interference the working class ever has is violence or democracy and the EC literally, explicitly does not have democracy but capital class lobbying is allowed and extremely influential.

Like oval office are you seriously trying to argue the citizen of France or Luxembourg has the same level of influence on the EU processes as they do on their own national processes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you think that the representative democracies we live in aren't particularly democratic then it seems like you'd have to have even more objection to institutions elected by the results of those flawed democracies.

Like at some point it's so abstracted away from people that it's not really democracy any more.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm glad someone explained that amendment thing because I was getting really confused about how Labour could possibly even consider not making this a "vote against or we launch you into the sun" issue

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

If you think that the representative democracies we live in aren't particularly democratic then it seems like you'd have to have even more objection to institutions elected by the results of those flawed democracies.

Like at some point it's so abstracted away from people that it's not really democracy any more.

I think the representative democracies are much, much better than the EU systems justifying themselves as legitimate downflow of them. You're absolutely right that at a certain point the democratic legitimacy is abstracted and disenfranchised to the extent that it's not democracy anymore.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

lmao at the ERG calling themselves spartans though, it's like they're exploring the outer limits of wank. yeesh :rolleyes:

Orrrrr. Have you seen excellent recent TV series 'Harlots'? :gonk:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think part of the problem is how you define democracy.

Like I think most people would say it's 'Give the people a say, innit?' But the issue with that is that too many people are easily led idiots, and I'm not just talking about the far right press and parties lying in order to bet on the destruction of the UK, I mean in terms of the simple mechanics of mob mentality.

Ironically the roots of the political system we tend to call democracy were instituted to get around mob rule - each area appoints an expert, that expert goes and negotiates on their behalf / advocates for their interests at the big council of experts. Everyone feels represented and everyone feels as though they have a chance to vote out their expert if they turn out to be a douche.

And then you have the modern system which has been going on for so long, it's mutated into a form where most people have forgotten the reasons behind these systems. People don't vote, and MPs in safe seats don't have to do poo poo to appease their constituents because the people who do vote just vote for the party and not the person. They've forgotten that they're advocating on behalf of their constituents which is how you end up with the absolute state of Michael Gove, a man supposedly appointed to act as an expert advocating for his community, saying that the public has had enough of experts; or Boris talking about traitor parliament subverting the will of the people when he is the least democratically appointed man in there.

It just seems like so many people are throwing the word 'democratic' around while subverting the underlying ideals of it that it's kind of starting to acquire a sort of nebulous meaninglessness as a result, it's an abstract like patriotism or morality that people are invoking to strengthen whatever their point is.

Ultimately it's a failure in education teaching people that democracy is important, but not why.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mob mentality and being easily led are features, not bugs.

Because a lot of the criticsm I have with democracy as it exists is that it exists in a space where money buys support for an idea, where money can get an idea advertised to shitloads of people, where people are conditioned to listen to advertising. Where the supposed counterpoint to this is a variety of bourgeois publications staffed by, at best, middle class gobshites who will sell you a million different flavours of reactionary thought, and tell you the entire context and scope of politics is just arguments between those tendencies.

Capitalist society is fundamentally at odds with democracy, there's no way the two can coexist, because capitalism is fundamentally antidemocratic, you have no democracy at work, or in most aspects of your life, it's most alive, I'd argue, between peer groups, but even those are taken away from us and replaced with media figures to consume, to form parasocial relationships around, robbing even that of its democratic basis.

Consumption is not democracy, and our lives are built around superficial and limited choices in consumption, of stuff, of information, of politics, and we're told this is meaningful. Is it any wonder people are not good at democracy?

As a specific caveat I would also point out that the roots of the current system of democracy were very much not rooted in everyone electing an expert and feeling represented, because the majority of democratic systems that serve as models did not begin with universal suffrage. They were rooted in the moneyed classes having a say, which also explains the notion of the press being a guardian of the public interest, because when the public constitutes people of the class that owns the press, that makes a lot more sense.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 18, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Actually capitalism is the most democratic system of economics possible, because you just vote with your dollars :smug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Social media also is bad at it because the whole way it's structured is to encourage people to be angry and screaming and to grade their social performance purely by the amount of engagement it generates, via the gamified system of likes. People exposed to that as their model of socialization are going to end up as loving nutcases.

Roll on the genZ lot who've had to adapt their brains to it because that poo poo's like loving heroin for genX and older.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

Even when trying to stan the EU as democratic you didn't even mention the EP lol.
You mean the elected EP that we had elections of about 5 months ago, which you could vote in, which I mentioned? That one?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

jBrereton posted:

You mean the elected EP that we had elections of about 5 months ago, which you could vote in, which I mentioned? That one?

the ep can't produce legislation it can only yay or nay legislation, legislation is only produced by the 100% unelected ec you dumb bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

How is the debate going to be?
Is it gonna be good? With twists and all that, like last time? Is Bercow gonna yell at people? Are people gonna steal ancient weapons or appliances, or invoke some old secret rituals?
How long is it going to last?

We are considering eating /drinking with friends and watching the stream, but only if it is not boring.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

the ep can't produce legislation it can only yay or nay legislation, legislation is only produced by the 100% unelected ec you dumb bitch
The EC is elected by people across the EU. It is as elected by you as an MP who isn't an MP in the parliamentary seat where you live. Or an MP that you didn't vote for in your own district who won. That doesn't mean nobody voted for them, it means you didn't. You're not so important humanity has to run everything by you personally.

If you think Boris is going to help you realise your dreams of a more personally accountable world, you are just another person he told was special, hosed, and is going to walk away from after getting his ego trip.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Oh man wait until this guy finds out about the democratic way the UK can select a new Prime Minister

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ms Adequate posted:

Actually capitalism is the most democratic system of economics possible, because you just vote with your dollars :smug:

1 man, 0-100bn votes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Doccykins posted:

Could be the dam breaking for Labour MPs in Leave constituencies
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1185230043766763520

how come the inbetweeners guy is a journo now?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Friday Night Dinner > Inbetweeners fyi

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Good news but it boils my piss that the bbc have two articles on this where they don't go into the issue beyond "lgbt people are upset about chick fil a donating to these charities" without actually outlinging whats objectionable about those charities but they sure did print the poo poo chicken peoples full statement on the matter (which does exactly the same dance around the issue).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ratjaculation posted:

Friday Night Dinner > Inbetweeners fyi

That programme is awful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1185323306641174530?s=21

lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:hmbol: This is... wow

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Hes a man with nothing to lose, dangerous.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That programme is awful.

More antisemitism from the thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I'm reading reform or revolution and, just... holy loving poo poo who is this lunatic who thinks that loving fluid credit and cartels are things that make capitalism more stable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 19, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

So I'm reading reform and revolution and, just... holy loving poo poo who is this lunatic who thinks that loving fluid credit and cartels are things that make capitalism more stable.

Eh, they cause some crime but something like Sinaloa could just supplant a government at least locally if they really wanted to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She means as in, the things we have anti trust laws to prevent the formation of nowadays :v: Collusion between massive capitalist enterprises. She's arguing against some absolute nutter who apparently thinks that unrestricted access to credit between capitalists and collusion between them will create a perfect self regulating and crisis free form of production.

And apparently he's some sort of center left guy???

1900 must have been loving wild.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm glad someone explained that amendment thing because I was getting really confused about how Labour could possibly even consider not making this a "vote against or we launch you into the sun" issue

It also seems to have halted jabby's sprint towards the cliff edge, so that's nice.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

loving lol.

https://twitter.com/KeejayOV2/status/1184954058278424577?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I seriously can't get enough of this brexiter/irish nationalist crossover act.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

She means as in, the things we have anti trust laws to prevent the formation of nowadays :v: Collusion between massive capitalist enterprises. She's arguing against some absolute nutter who apparently thinks that unrestricted access to credit between capitalists and collusion between them will create a perfect self regulating and crisis free form of production.

And apparently he's some sort of center left guy???

1900 must have been loving wild.

I did suspect you meant the megacorp kind of cartel not the druglord kind but, you know :v:

Also wow that's a take for sure lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We need the daily express to get their psychic to tell us that Bobby Sands came back from beyond the grave and he wants us to vote for Boris Johnson.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tarnop posted:

It also seems to have halted jabby's sprint towards the cliff edge, so that's nice.

All the amendment does is delay the actual meaningful vote by a few days.

My concern is that former allies like Ronnie Campbell and Melanie Onn have said they'll vote for the deal out of some ridiculous lexiter plan/desire to keep their seats, and that might be why Corbyn is refusing to kick out any rebels. When the future of the whole country hangs on one vote I can't help wishing we had a slightly more ruthless leader. Hard to imagine Big John taking the same position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jabby posted:

All the amendment does is delay the actual meaningful vote by a few days.

Not necessarily, once johnson goes for the extension it's quite possible the opposition will go straight for a VONC.

It also changes the nature of the vote even if it does go to one because it means the deal has to go through piece by piece and basically everyone's gonna say it's clearly just may's deal again.