Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Keldroc posted:

The game is a lootbox bullshit nightmare but I'm not gonna lie, the end of this trailer made me smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3naa0X4r4&t=1075s
Ah good, a gorgeous trailer for a nightmare gambling mobile game, just like all the other nightmare gambling mobile games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

probably the worst thing about stealth bomber megatron in the idw comics is all he does in that form is beat up starscream then intentionally get captured by optimus, then later jacks off in the wilderness and then gets rebuilt into his regular form again! what the heck!

edit: im in two minds about whether i want to preorder the mp soundwave reissue or wait for the fans toys one

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 18, 2019

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

All that trailer does is make me want a series of crossover figures with G.I.JOE vehicles. Like the Star Wars ones they did way back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Except, y'know, not poo poo garbage like the star wars ones

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I’d settle for more TF-themed joe vehicles like the convention exclusives

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

probably the worst thing about stealth bomber megatron in the idw comics is all he does in that form is beat up starscream then intentionally get captured by optimus, then later jacks off in the wilderness and then gets rebuilt into his regular form again! what the heck!

edit: im in two minds about whether i want to preorder the mp soundwave reissue or wait for the fans toys one

The THF Soundwave is like $80 and fantastic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I see you've scrubbed the entire Chaos/D-Void thing from your brain. Well done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I really liked about that trailer was giving Skywarp such a prominent spot- though he's on the wrong side!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am an irresponsible child

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Did anyone see the Powertrain and Highjump micromasters yet?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which Megatron is that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Which Megatron is that?

The Flame Toys model kit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I see you've scrubbed the entire Chaos/D-Void thing from your brain. Well done.

noooooo why did you remind me that exists? its so bad. why did the d-void only mind control decepticons? galvatron was never a decepticon in that timeline. his own army had autobots and decepticons in it. why did the tiny gun megatrons turn into stupid armour for regular megatron? his new body's armour was way stronger than his old one, and the gun megatrons were made from his old body.

the whole story was somehow a stupider version of 'the return of optimus prime', and that story involved magic space spores that make you evil.

although imo i would have liked it if the g1 cartoon had ended with that story. the hate plague is over, the matrix is empty, and galvatron is returned to sanity. if they wanted to do another season they could have had the autobots and decepticons team up to take on the quintessons. i realise nobody will ever do a transformers story where the war is over (the idw continuity got there, then they blew it up
)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was so glad they nerfed the Matrix in that story.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I am an irresponsible child

RUMBLE, HUH? 😈

(Also where did you order those from and for how much.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Did anyone see the Powertrain and Highjump micromasters yet?

I grabbed them a couple days ago and wasn't impressed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

RUMBLE, HUH? 😈

(Also where did you order those from and for how much.)

TCP, they sold out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The leadup to the D-Void was also explicitly Galvatron rounding up a bunch of prewar cybertronians, so it's not all Decepticons. Also they somehow all turn into Sweeps, whose bodies are scattered across the new Cybertron, but it's never clear whatever happened to the original Scourge. Megatron was also exempt from the control of the D-Void because reasons. I kinda felt the whole thing seemed like something I've heard about from the G2 comics, but I don't really know enough to be sure.

And of course, the whole crazy thing was interspersed with Prowl doing low-down policework back on Earth. His characterization was really inconsistent to the stuff postwar where they established Prowl as one of the masterminds of Autobot High Command, willing to do the dark and dirty things that Optimus wasn't.

It's weird how ending the war was this gateway into all sorts of interesting things for IDW, but their idea to do a totally prewar story is totally uninteresting because they've characterized nuCybertron as frustratingly peaceful and stagnant with very few major tensions.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

G2 had liege maximo, who was like non-unicron transformers satan, and made a big devouring swarm thing of like sparkless transformer nanobot things

the d-void is basically just The Warp from warhammer 40k, and the whole chaos storyline was written by dan abnett, who is one of the main warhammer 40k writers.

the end of the idw universe is pretty lovely, with the now-good megatron going to jail and whatnot. it doesn't really make much sense as its established that both sides did hella war crimes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly having time and distance

And importantly NO nostalgia because I only ever read them recently

I think the Marvel G2 comics were actually pretty good and a great send off for the original comics

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

why did the tiny gun megatrons turn into stupid armour for regular megatron? his new body's armour was way stronger than his old one, and the gun megatrons were made from his old body.
More armour is always stronger than not more armour.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

the end of the idw universe is pretty lovely, with the now-good megatron going to jail and whatnot. it doesn't really make much sense as its established that both sides did hella war crimes

I’m ok with RoboHitler incarcerated forever, despite the face turn.

Getaway was right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't want to plunge the thread about plastic fightmen into a three page discussion about [RELATIVELY RECENT LARGE CONFLICT] so I'd just point out that it is fairly common for combatants on both sides of a war to engage in or tolerate war crimes, and yet only the losing side is prosecuted for those crimes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Megatron was imprisoned and later executed for his crimes against organic lifeforms. The Autobots did do horrible things in this continuity, but mostly to other Cybertronians, with any exceptions being smaller in scale compared to the Decepticons; Megatron personally launched a campaign of genocide against organic lifeforms across the galaxy because he believed them to be the next great threat against machine life. That's what the Council imprisoned him for; the Autobots weren't their priority because they'd done comparatively far less.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of his redemption was kinda cheapened because they never really connected the worst thing that happened in the war with his leadership or his ideology. Of course, the Autobots and NAILs never really acknowledged the negative aspects of the prewar order, and its implied that the only saving grace of the whole war is that in the mess, Cybertron had largely forgotten old biases around class, being constructed cold, or functionalism, and only knows the new biases around wartime alignment. Tyrest kept his old prejudice because he skipped the entire war to enact his genocide.

There is something neat about the Megatron and Optimus putting aside their differences to fight one big threat, but the comics kinda wore that out between the D-Void, Nova Prime, Abominus, Trypticon, Thunderwing, Bludgeon, Zeta Prime, the Ammonites, and Shockwave.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DrChud posted:

All that trailer does is make me want a series of crossover figures with G.I.JOE vehicles. Like the Star Wars ones they did way back.

I'm honestly amazed they haven't done that yet

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I'm honestly amazed they haven't done that yet

Me too, and there are so many badass G.I. Joe vehicles to choose from. I know they made Snow Cat -- was it during the Energon line? I didn't collect any of those, but thought it was cool.

There's some new third party Optimus Prime based on the G.I. Joe Rolling Thunder that looks pretty rad, especially if they release it in Army green.
https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/02/tfc-toys-storm-commander-stc-01nb-nuclear-blast-version-prototype-397387

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

I think the Marvel G2 comics were actually pretty good and a great send off for the original comics

It's pretty much the only g1 comic I read in full and I think it's a great one.

Beast wars got it's lore from g2, might mention

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Megatron Did Nothing Wrong

he should have accepted optimus' peace offer when he was captured in his stealth bomber body, and stipulated amnesty, THEN had his redemption arc. if you don't plan your redemption arc right it always ends in suffering.

Burkion posted:

i think people judge the g2 comics on the very 90s art style and not the story quality

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i think people judge the g2 comics on the very 90s art style and not the story quality

Having read most of the G1 Marvel comics, and I don't think this is going to be that controversial, G2's art is at least on par with most of it and has a more consistent tone.

The 80s art was hilariously slipshod at times.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wildman and Senior are both really good Transformers artists, and were kind of it until some of the IDW folks like Milne. Like Don Perlin was really good on other Marvel comics but I don't think his heart was quite into the robots turning into stuff.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Burkion posted:

Having read most of the G1 Marvel comics, and I don't think this is going to be that controversial, G2's art is at least on par with most of it and has a more consistent tone.

The 80s art was hilariously slipshod at times.

i think its less the quality of the art and more the kind of 'edgier' style

(the last one is megatron after being thrown to earth from orbit by jhiaxus)

I think it worked fine, that style is just tarnished forever by all the lovely 90s superhero comics with garbage writing and REALLY bad art in a similar style.

i liked that g2 megatron a lot, possibly just cause he was my first megatron i owned (i was too young to get the g1 megs, and he was never reissued here). the toy had very poor articulation, but was pretty huge, and had a cool cannon. i think the design looks pretty cool, and i'd buy an MP-scale version if anyone did one (they will not do one).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Me too, and there are so many badass G.I. Joe vehicles to choose from. I know they made Snow Cat -- was it during the Energon line? I didn't collect any of those, but thought it was cool.

There's some new third party Optimus Prime based on the G.I. Joe Rolling Thunder that looks pretty rad, especially if they release it in Army green.
https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/02/tfc-toys-storm-commander-stc-01nb-nuclear-blast-version-prototype-397387

Yeah, the snowcat was in the Energon line, he was a nice looking robot.

I’ve always wanted transforming GI Joe vehicles, but sized for the 3/4 joes. They’d be huge and expensive but worth it. There were so many vehicles in that toyline I’m surprised there hasn’t been at least a few more customs done on the concept.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

a big g2 megatron would be a good gi joe tie-in, since that body was a collaboration with Cobra in the comics.

i am very tempted by the g2 masterpiece sideswipe, with the gigantic guns and edgy snarling face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tell me not to drop $250 on one of my most sought after TFs that is exceptionally hard to find.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Tell me not to drop $250 on one of my most sought after TFs that is exceptionally hard to find.
You're going to blow the money on robots you stick in a glass casket anyway so what's the difference?

I mean you probably shouldn't buy anything while concerned about your basement and having issues with home ownership, and compounding money problems will just sour the purchase and taint it if not literally taint it with concrete dust, but you know yourself right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

How's your leak situation

unrelated

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rhyno posted:

which tf is it? i will judge on that basis

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

How's your leak situation

unrelated

Repair plan is sorted and begins next week. No longer cutting up the basement, all work will be done outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

which tf is it? i will judge on that basis