Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

herding dogs trying to herd children is one of the funniest things in the world

I have a ten month old GSD. My five year old nephew is visiting in a few weeks. I am very excited.

edit lmao awesome unintentional tax snipe

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

SpeakSlow posted:

On thet note, what would it take to get Trump at The Hague? In regards to crimes, as I assume there would be kicking and screaming from the entire Right.

If it doesn't get removed from office and somehow it gets elected again, the damage it has already done does might come close to being seriously considered.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

skylined! posted:

I have a ten month old GSD. My five year old nephew is visiting in a few weeks. I am very excited.

How much do german shepherds herd? I never noticed it much at all with them compared to other sheepdog breeds

E: cursory google suggest they are very herdy and I'm just not very observant, apparently.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1184897110736625667

WaPo with the hard hitting journalism.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
really does an injustice not writing 'toilet paper' in front of 'perspective'

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Otteration posted:

If it doesn't get removed from office and somehow it gets elected again, the damage it has already done does might come close to being seriously considered.

...so you're saying there's a chance.

Kidding. Kind of.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Daily reminder to cancel your subscriptions to WaPo and NYT lol.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dammerung posted:

I suppose I can see this as an explanation, but it seems like candidates like Klobuchar and Booker would be a lot more effective at that anyway.

The way I look at it, if you're worried about someone like Bernie or Warren winning there's no real downside to throwing extra candidates into the mix even if they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning. Between the party establishment alternating between going knives out under the table at the actual left wing in the Democrats and then buddying up to them in public afterwards (all while pretending there isn't a growing dissatisfaction with how they operate) along side all the corporate interests trying to protect their profits you've got a lot of folks that have a horse in that race. That also means a lot of opportunities for candidates of different backgrounds to throw their hat into the race.

If I were to approach the issue from a more cynical and manipulative perspective there's also the issue of hedging the vote later on in the campaign. Klobuchar and Booker might be a lot more effective at putting a friendly face on the status quo. But at the same time unless those candidates are actively working against each other and making their voters lash out at each other over the media (And you'll note that they decidedly aren't barring a few extremely small fringe groups.) there's no real downside to Tulsi running.

A percent turned off of Bernie/Warren/whoever out of resentment or being unable to let go of ____ candidate losing is going to hurt either way. And if each of those candidates draws a small amount off then they're all a "win" in the eyes of anyone with that political agenda. After all, the sort of person who latches on to Tulsi may not be the sort of person who latches on to Booker, and vice versa.

Or to put it in a more TL;DR: way: If your goal as a wealthy donor or political think tank/activist group/political group/whatever is to make sure that the progressive candidates lose then every person that runs and splits the vote has the chance of ensuring that just that many more people will never vote for the candidate you don't want to win come time for the general.

quote:

This has also been confusing me. She had a lot of cash on hand, why did she burn most of it in a race that she never had a prayer of even getting into the top 5 in? It's very confusing.

An easy way to solve this would be to see where her campaign donations are coming from. If it's of a primarily conservative or corporatist bent then you've got a pretty much probable explanation right there. In that case she's basically there to help spoil the vote. If not, then she's probably waaaay too high on her own supply or there's something going on there that folks will find out after the campaign is over and people start doing a post mortem examination of the process.

It isn't necessarily a loss in money if she's getting paid to do it too. And RWM hacks like Tucker are certainly willing to give her attention and paid appearances. That's money in her pocket depending on how the contract for appearing on stations like Fox News currently works. Not that I think it'll last beyond her usefulness to them, but it's not like politicians and pundits haven't made that mistake with folks like that over the past few decades. :shrug:

quote:

I've also experienced this, and it was a big part of the reason why I wanted to learn more about her. It isn't fair to judge somebody based off of (potentially) baseless rumors, and most of the praise I've heard for her has, sadly enough, come back down to her appearance. I find judging anybody by their physical appearance alone to be upsetting, dehumanizing, and extremely unfair to them as people with policies, dreams, aspirations, fears, etc. of their own.

Agreed. Sad as it is to say it though that isn't really an issue to at least a fair portion of the people who uncritically guzzle cable news media. Hell, if anything at least a few will use it as reasoning to double down if she loses. "She has such a nice face/body/whatever!" is the female version of version of "Well, he had such a folksy charm." like what Bush had attributed to him. Heck, just look at how Palin's defenders treated her even when she was clearly turning into a political firebomb for the campaign (and afterwards) if you want to see what I mean.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 19, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yes of course, billionaires noted for their generous use of funds in ways that directly affect poor people.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I fully believe billionaire will try and hurt people worse if they think their taxes will get raised.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

How much do german shepherds herd? I never noticed it much at all with them compared to other sheepdog breeds

She herds the poo poo out of my other small dogs and tries to herd me when we walk sometimes. If I run with her she tries to run in front of me and slow me down. It’s definitely innate but I think needs more training to bring out than other herders.

She’s a goddamn mess though and needs hours of exercise a day. I wish we had a herd of sheep. She was a rescue we didn’t plan on holding onto but grew on us.

Anyways that’s my GSD derail.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 19, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This should be impeachable in and of itself
https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1185229199017033728

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States#Constitutional_provisions

quote:

The notion that only criminal conduct can constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment does not comport with either the views of the founders or with historical practice.[1] Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 65, described impeachable offenses as arising from "the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust."[3] Such offenses were "political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself."[3] According to this reasoning, impeachable conduct could include behavior that violates an official's duty to the country, even if such conduct is not necessarily a prosecutable offense. Indeed, in the past both houses of Congress have given the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" a broad reading, finding that impeachable offenses need not be limited to criminal conduct.[4][1]

Says who?
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1185264036784553984

Can I rally against fear, but in favor of someone else?
https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1185362254822363138

Narcissists prayer in real time
https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1185286847385223173

:catstare:
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1185236096545935360

Is this a new proposal from Warren?
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1185290192875393025

Not only did they hug, they donated 50k!
https://twitter.com/bykowicz/status/1185227969905745920

:lol:
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1185301356359438336

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

skylined! posted:

She herds the poo poo out of my other small dogs and tries to herd me when we walk sometimes. If I run with her she tries to run in front of me and slow me down. It’s definitely innate but I think needs more training to bring out than other herders.

She’s a goddamn mess though and needs hours of exercise a day. I wish we had a herd of sheep. She was a rescue we didn’t plan on holding onto but grew on us.

Anyways that’s my GSD detail.

Sheepdog tip: get a heavy duty yoga ball and take it out into the yard and kick it and they'll herd it back. Like 'fetch' but for sheepdogs

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what weirdly bothers me the most is that he just doesnt give a gently caress. like he doesn't hate the kurds for a real reason, he hates them because he would have to do work to help them, so its easier to let them just get murdered. hell, hatred is too strong a word. he is just disinterested.

Kale
May 14, 2010

skylined! posted:

Good and fun times abound if you want to see the distinguished gentleman minority leader sweat a bit and lie a lot.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185220524500234240?s=20

Had the Democrats not won the house this guy would have been Speaker :stare:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea that anyone is supposed to read this paragraph and agree that, yes, taxing the wealthy is a bad idea:

quote:

Now, progressive Democrats seem determined to make the same kind of mistake, with sweeping soak-the-rich tax plans designed to punish greed, break up the concentration of economic and political power and raise vast sums to guarantee day care, health care, college educations and jobs for all Americans.

That said, I'll be fair and admit that this guy's argument is slightly more complex than "taxes bad!" The thrust of the article is that inequality can be curbed indirectly without wealth redistribution, which is a different argument that is nonetheless hilarious.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sheepdog tip: get a heavy duty yoga ball and take it out into the yard and kick it and they'll herd it back. Like 'fetch' but for sheepdogs

Hey good call. She likes her basketball sized indestructible toy but never thought about a yoga ball size. Thanks!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185330181210361857

priveledge is a hell of drug, even for amoral eunuchs like sackless steve.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

skylined! posted:

Hey good call. She likes her basketball sized indestructible toy but never thought about a yoga ball size. Thanks!

It can be a good way to train them to be gentler with their chase instinct, too

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

SpeakSlow posted:

...so you're saying there's a chance.

Kidding. Kind of.

Well it is the most great and powerful technicolor wizard ever. But Toto did some pretty good work with the curtain too, so there's that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kale posted:

Had the Democrats not won the house this guy would have been Speaker :stare:

1) McCarthy has a very good chance of becoming Speaker over the next few election cycles
2) He really is the best they can do

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185374394350215169?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

So is now pretending the Democrats don't have the votes in the HOUSE to impeach him?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Paradoxish posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at the idea that anyone is supposed to read this paragraph and agree that, yes, taxing the wealthy is a bad idea:

That said, I'll be fair and admit that this guy's argument is slightly more complex than "taxes bad!" The thrust of the article is that inequality can be curbed indirectly without wealth redistribution, which is a different argument that is nonetheless hilarious.

It's pay walled and there's no way i'm giving a rag like WaPo money as it is now so what's his solution? Invest in more social safety nets? Because hoo boy, do I have news for him about how billionaires and Republicans feel about letting them exist in a functioning manner if that's his idea of a fix.

Edit: The irony of a newspaper saying "don't tax the rich, it's a bad idea!" while pay walling the argument is pretty :allears:. Seriously, how on the nose can you be?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 19, 2019

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Fox News is this administration's Goebbels.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'm not going to be continuing this out of respect for fool_of_sound's post, but I did like your post, Archonex, and there was one aspect of it which I think qualifies as a more general issue that I'd like to discuss a bit more.

Archonex posted:

Agreed. Sad as it is to say it though that isn't really an issue to at least a fair portion of the people who uncritically guzzle cable news media. Hell, if anything at least a few will use it as reasoning to double down if she loses. "She has such a nice face/body/whatever!" is the female version of version of "Well, he had such a folksy charm" like what Bush had attributed to him. Heck, just look at how Palin's defenders treated her even when she was clearly turning into a political firebomb for the campaign (and afterwards) if you want to see what I mean.

I feel like folksy charm is the closest we see for male political figures, but it just doesn't compare to how frighteningly sexual discussions of female political figures can quickly become. It's frankly repulsive how political discussions I've had in real life and posts I've seen (thankfully usually not here) devolve into how female politicians are obviously sexually immoral or should be in erotic media or have pictures of them taken in revealing swimwear, etc. People aren't just pieces of meat, and I am always heartbroken and disgusted whenever a person's worth, in general, becomes determined only by their ability to excited male audiences. I'd still support politicians like Representative Ocasio-Cortez, Curtis, Hurd, and others who have policies I agree with even if they looked conventionally unattractive, and would never support policies which place children in concentration camps even if President Trump (or whoever supported it) looked unspeakably radiant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate this dehumanizing sexualization. I hate it so loving much.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can I rally against fear, but in favor of someone else?
https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1185362254822363138

Beto's really coming into his own as the candidate willing to say the "gently caress" word, among others.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What the gently caress is donnie even talking about. What impeachment votes have there been there, the ones brought up by a particular Congressman long before the Ukraine stuff?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Zwabu posted:

What the gently caress is donnie even talking about. What impeachment votes have there been there, the ones brought up by a particular Congressman long before the Ukraine stuff?

Probably, but it doesn't even matter. Trump and his admin can say anything and 35% of the voting population believes it, and most Republican Congresspeople parrot it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Archonex posted:

It's paywalled so what's his solution? Invest in more social safety nets? Because hoo boy, do I have news for him about how billionaires and Republicans feel about letting them exist in a functioning manner if that's his idea of a fix.

lol no you're giving him way too much credit, plus expanded social safety nets would require taxes for funding and all social safety nets are technically forms of wealth redistribution.

Anyway:

quote:

What Saez and Zucman seem to forget is that taxes are not the only, or even the main, reason, why the distribution of wealth, income and power has become so unequal. Nor are taxes the only instrument available for unrigging markets to make them more competitive and equitable. It is possible to significantly change the way the economic pie is divided by changing the rules of the marketplace — altering trade treaties, reforming labor laws, stepping up antitrust enforcement and financial regulation, and curbing the role of money in politics.

So... nothing, really. Some nebulous words about creating a more "fair" marketplace and then everything will fix itself, because markets are divine instruments incapable of failure.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Yes, that's exactly what he's talking about

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zwabu posted:

I think they're ones from the previous House, back when Republicans had a majority

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

lol no you're giving him way too much credit, plus expanded social safety nets would require taxes for funding and all social safety nets are technically forms of wealth redistribution.

Anyway:

So... nothing, really. Some nebulous words about creating a more "fair" marketplace and then everything will fix itself, because markets are divine instruments incapable of failure.

Unless the markets are gonna provide folks a wage that allows for upwards mobility all that'll do is hoard more wealth into the hands of a few. What he just suggested is rich neo-liberal/centrist.txt right there.

Dammerung posted:

I'm not going to be continuing this out of respect for fool_of_sound's post, but I did like your post, Archonex, and there was one aspect of it which I think qualifies as a more general issue that I'd like to discuss a bit more.

I feel like folksy charm is the closest we see for male political figures, but it just doesn't compare to how frighteningly sexual discussions of female political figures can quickly become. It's frankly repulsive how political discussions I've had in real life and posts I've seen (thankfully usually not here) devolve into how female politicians are obviously sexually immoral or should be in erotic media or have pictures of them taken in revealing swimwear, etc. People aren't just pieces of meat, and I am always heartbroken and disgusted whenever a person's worth, in general, becomes determined only by their ability to excited male audiences. I'd still support politicians like Representative Ocasio-Cortez, Curtis, Hurd, and others who have policies I agree with even if they looked conventionally unattractive, and would never support policies which place children in concentration camps even if President Trump (or whoever supported it) looked unspeakably radiant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hate this dehumanizing sexualization. I hate it so loving much.

Beto's really coming into his own as the candidate willing to say the "gently caress" word, among others.

Pretty sure Fool of Sound just wanted the slap fight between posters to stop. Though maybe I missed something.

But yeah, it's creepy as gently caress. If you really want to rage then google Ocasio Cortez's first few months in office and how folks reacted to her. Conservatives alternated between trying to turn her into some sort of socialist boogeyman out to kill America and salivating over her body. I remember there was even that one creepy journalist/blogger/whatever the heck he was that was following her around and posting pictures he surreptitiously took of her on twitter. Pretty sure he just straight up took a picture of her butt while she was wearing a skirt and posted it up there too. And of course he did all this while trying to criticize her.

I really don't get why some folks are like that. Maybe no one ever taught them not to treat people like disposable objects?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 19, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

"Because the House has already voted against the Impeachment Proceeding..."

Why are we pretending that it is not loving lying?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"We should not punish the billioniares, instead we should implement other policies that they'll still fight tooth and nail"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/carynrose/status/1185382154244706304

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

"We should not punish the billioniares, instead we should implement other policies that they'll still fight tooth and nail"

Even the interpretation of taxing the wealthy as punitive instead of corrective is problematic. It implies that there's nothing wrong with rampant wealth inequality and that we're just taxing rich people because we're mean.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunkher:

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1185239874800144385

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I have important news.

Great Pyrenees are not herding dogs but farm yard guardians. They patrol their territory and protect their charges, read penguins, from predators. It makes them somewhat difficult to train because their job demands such independent thinking.

That is all.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure Fool of Sound just wanted the slap fight between posters to stop. Though maybe I missed something.

But yeah, it's creepy as gently caress. If you really want to rage then google Occasio Cortez's first few months in office and how folks reacted to her. Conservatives alternated between trying to turn her into some sort of socialist boogeyman out to kill America and salivating over her body. I remember there was even that one creepy journalist/blogger/whatever the heck he was that was following her around and posting pictures he surreptitiously took of her on twitter. All while trying to criticize her.

I really don't get why some folks are like that. Maybe no one ever taught them not to treat people like disposable objects? Who the gently caress knows.

This was what really did it for me. I used to be way more into alt-right discussion spaces back in my younger, wilder, and stupider days, and that was one of the behaviors that I am sincerely ashamed that I helped legitimate (not by participating but by not speaking out) among those circles. Man, the stuff that was claimed and joked/memed about with regards to Representative Ocasio-Cortez, and, curiously enough, Representative Omar, was painful to read. It definitely comes down to power relations and ordering the world in a coherent way. The squad isn't tight-knit because they share goals, it's because they're all doing... things together. Female politicians in general aren't popular because of their policies and leadership abilities, it's because of the favors they offer male politicians to secretly lead their efforts, or just because they can't control themselves. I can't apologize for what I've done, because I don't think it's something that can be forgiven. The only thing I can do now is try to speak out against it and make the world a better place however I can.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have important news.

Great Pyrenees are not herding dogs but farm yard guardians. They patrol their territory and protect their charges, read penguins, from predators. It makes them somewhat difficult to train because their job demands such independent thinking.

That is all.

I support these strong and independent guardians!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have important news.

That is all.

Dog Blart Yard Cop is a mentally taxing job after all

(I'm being disingenuous, I know it does and that's awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have important news.

That is all.

And as pretty as they are, they don't make great pets.

They got a job to do!

I have a Newfoundland and she tries to "save" people whenever there is a splash fight. I think it's funny, my daughter getting hauled to the beach by her ponytail less so.