Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I mean the door that Evrart asks you to open. Unless there's key I'm missing for that.

Did you get the key from the guy he told you to get the key from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did you get the key from the guy he told you to get the key from?

I clearly was not paying enough attention, then. I must be at the wrong door.

I mean this one:

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 19, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're at the right door but did you speak to Manana to get the key like Evart asked you to? :v He's the guy on the stairs watching the scabs

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're at the right door but did you speak to Manana to get the key like Evart asked you to? :v He's the guy on the stairs watching the scabs

Oh. I did not. I knew I missed something, thank you. I got it mixed up with another key.

e: And it still just rattles. Must be a bug.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
retrieved my gun. that was not the scenario i expected

when i saw Pigs my first thought was "in a different kind of game this lady would be a loving boss encounter"

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Basileus777 posted:

It's nice seeing this text slightly differ. I wonder what all the signs of being a high school gym teacher the game tracks.

i got a bunch of lines about a wrestler my harry admired

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if you're partial to substance abuse (whatever the flavor) i highly recommend being drunk/high/etc. while playing the game. it's like having 5 points in Shivers in real life

edit: it's like pairing the most delicious steak with the most transcendent wine

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Basileus777 posted:

It's nice seeing this text slightly differ. I wonder what all the signs of being a high school gym teacher the game tracks.

I got something like "That explains why you were so obsessed with gathering that FALN set.

Edit: Also, I think it commented on the jump on day one.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Davincie posted:

i got a bunch of lines about a wrestler my harry admired

Contact Mike? Yeah, I got that part too. I wish I had a screenshot as there were some other things referenced that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oxxidation posted:

when i saw Pigs my first thought was "in a different kind of game this lady would be a loving boss encounter"

that sequence made me sad and i made sure to tell the hardee boys as soon as possible to send someone to go get her

i also did it without kim

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Basileus777 posted:

More than slightly in my case.

Did anybody try not to pay for the room and sleep under a bench or something? Or under that tarped boat near the abandoned house with the swing.

Oxxidation posted:

She kinda was a boss encounter though. Like DE:HR's real bosses were the conversation matches.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 19, 2019

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Harrow posted:

This game feels extremely China Mieville. Getting big The City & the City vibes all over the place.

Right down to the communism.

RPS: That’s interesting…have you read the City and the City? Was that an inspiration?

Kurvitz: I have, I get that… It’s not an inspiration, no. Well, I’m a shockingly left-wing person, and so is China Mieville, so we have that in common, and we have a similar take on science fiction, too. But I started developing this world and these concepts when I was 15, and I published a novel set in it in 2013. Yeah, China Mieville got there with some slipstream ideas first, but I had no idea he existed!

I’ve read his stuff now, and when I read his stuff I think… This is a really bad career move right now, I understand I’m taking to a journalist, but I think… “Yeah, I’m way better than this”.

RPS: Ohoohohoo!

Kurvitz: (laughs) Yeah, I like his ideas with slipstream, though I don’t like the name “slipstream”. I like his approach to genre stuff, and there are a lot of similarities here. But ours is a complete otherworld, it’s hermetically sealed off, it’s like Lord of the Rings. We’re deep, deep geeks, this isn’t meant for people to go over and go “hnnnngr, what very interesting genre bending”. This is just D&D nerds who wanted to have a telephone in the game.

At the same time, personally I come from soviet science fiction authors, the Strugatsky brothers kind of stuff, who also do a lot of reality bending. I am aware of China Mieville though, yeah.

Jesus gently caress, did I just say in an interview that I’m better than China Mieville? Oh gently caress it, let’s go with it, whatever.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is thirty bucks the cheapest you can get the first night down to? i know you can get it to 100 and 30 depending on what you do but i couldnt find any way to get out of the drinks bill

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah i laughed at that rps interview too

the hosed up thing? he is better than china mieville.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Have the devs said anything about port plans?

Mac, mobile/tablet, Switch?

Now that they’ve got a hit on their hands and all, would be cool to play this on other platforms...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Al! posted:

yeah i laughed at that rps interview too

the hosed up thing? he is better than china mieville.

Yeah, honestly? Can't really argue with that.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
9pm on day 2 and oh my god I love this game. Been finding myself just utterly drawn in and it owns bones I had a plan for what I was going to say but there's too much. Got the union boys in the cafe to help me find Ruby and/or the real killer. Everything with Klaasje is just too good, the whole sequence with them just saying they killed the guy and slowly unravelling what actually happened was just incredible.
Still don't have my badge or gun. I hate the Evraret so much. My gut wanted me to convert to fascism.

Game good

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I asked someone out for coffee because electrochemistry told her voice was dripping with desire, not resentment.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

people keep saying that this game doesnt punish you for failing a skill check and theyre wrong

this game punishes you exactly once for failing a skill check

think long and hard before you reveal the answer

karaoke

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This game extinguished my excitement for Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk 2077 because after playing Disco Elysium it feels like you just went on a brilliant, extravagant vacation that made everything seem new and exciting again but now it's back to the same old and that same old feels even more uninspired and mediocre than it ever did before, and you know that you'll probably not have a vacation like that again for a long, long time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Have the devs said anything about port plans?

Mac, mobile/tablet, Switch?

Now that they’ve got a hit on their hands and all, would be cool to play this on other platforms...

nothing i can find but i feel like it could make a perfect portrait mode smartphone port with some ui work and willingness to give up on some graphical fidelity

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Al! posted:

people keep saying that this game doesnt punish you for failing a skill check and theyre wrong

this game punishes you exactly once for failing a skill check

think long and hard before you reveal the answer

karaoke

Failing that rules, though??? I mean, so does succeeding. But even so.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I, what

I just reached for something fundamental with Joyce and WHAT

WHAT IS THIS PLACE

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This game extinguished my excitement for Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk 2077 because after playing Disco Elysium it feels like you just went on a brilliant, extravagant vacation that made everything seem new and exciting again but now it's back to the same old and that same old feels even more uninspired and mediocre than it ever did before, and you know that you'll probably not have a vacation like that again for a long, long time.

i feel this exact thing entirely. but i invite you to cspam, where if you enjoy this game u might find like minds

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm glad that the game just simply lets you lie to Evarat about opening the door. So few games give you the option to lie. I was able to bluff my way past his check. He implied that I wouldn't find my gun unless I help him get some people to hand over their property. The project sounded reasonable, but he's such a slimy prick that decided to turn him down. Are my instincts right?

Most of the rest of my Day 2 was consumed going upstairs and downstairs in the Whirling-in-Rags getting the new new updated story of what REALLY happened, but I eventually, finally wore them all down and got what seems to be a reasonable account. ...Man, where would I have been in this investigation if I hadn't discovered the bullet? I could take another stab at solving the drug case, but other than that, I think I've just about done all I can do in this area.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm glad that the game just simply lets you lie to Evarat about opening the door. So few games give you the option to lie. I was able to bluff my way past his check. He implied that I wouldn't find my gun unless I help him get some people to hand over their property. The project sounded reasonable, but he's such a slimy prick that decided to turn him down. Are my instincts right?

i didnt lie to him about it because i wanted him to know i was on to his game and found the things he expected me to find, and once again the game didnt disappoint

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I, what

I just reached for something fundamental with Joyce and WHAT

WHAT IS THIS PLACE

yeah that poo poo is terrifying bro

this is one weird rear end setting

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Evarat does seem mega slimy, but empathy tells me he's really looking out for the little guy. And himself. But also the little guy.

Also lmao if you do his task and dont take just a little peek.

What could it hurt?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Starting a new game cleared up that issue with the door, so it's definitely a bug.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Evarat does seem mega slimy, but empathy tells me he's really looking out for the little guy. And himself. But also the little guy.

What could it hurt?

one of the things i love about kim is that despite his straight laced bullshit this is exactly how he feels too

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm near the end of the 4th day so I'm going to just chill out and wait for a patch to hopefully fix that door before I finish my run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al! posted:

one of the things i love about kim is that despite his straight laced bullshit this is exactly how he feels too

Kim is really fun because he's just straightlaced enough to be a foil but just willing enough be a dumbass to lead to enjoyable situations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No one can deny the call of cryptids

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I cannot imagine intentionally trying to be a dick to Kim.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I cannot imagine intentionally trying to be a dick to Kim.

theres and achievement for it and i wish everyone on steam who has achieved it would be automatically added to my block list

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I wasn't asking about Everart's first task, I was asking about his second one. Here is my question: Is it possible for me to get my gun back without dancing to Everart's tune?

Al! posted:

i didnt lie to him about it because i wanted him to know i was on to his game and found the things he expected me to find, and once again the game didnt disappoint

Everart could have had any one of his men do the task he asked of me himself. He just wanted the power rush from having a cop do it for him. Screw that guy. I didn't want to do that, and Kim didn't want to either.

Synthbuttrange posted:

What could it hurt?

lmao if you DARE to do things differently than I would. I can't believe someone would roleplay differently than me lol.

But you've piqued my curiosity, so I reloaded to take a look. ... It filled in maybe one small piece of the puzzle, but ultimately, an unimportant piece.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wasn't asking about Everart's first task, I was asking about his second one. Here is my question: Is it possible for me to get my gun back without dancing to Everart's tune?

You can forge the signatures, which tricks him for long enough but as soon as he starts trying to enforce the contract, it'll fall apart upon being disputed.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Everart could have had any one of his men do the task he asked of me himself. He just wanted the power rush from having a cop do it for him. Screw that guy. I didn't want to do that, and Kim didn't want to either.

this realness is why im in love with this game

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kim is really fun because he's just straightlaced enough to be a foil but just willing enough be a dumbass to lead to enjoyable situations.

I love Kim, there are so many situations that are like

Player: I'm going to kick down that door!

Kim: You probably shouldn't kick down the door

Player: I'm a superstar cop of the apocalypse baby!

*Kicks down door*

Kim: Well, that door isn't going to get any less kicked down, so we may as well see what's behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zoracle Zed posted:

RPS: That’s interesting…have you read the City and the City? Was that an inspiration?

Kurvitz: I have, I get that… It’s not an inspiration, no. Well, I’m a shockingly left-wing person, and so is China Mieville, so we have that in common, and we have a similar take on science fiction, too. But I started developing this world and these concepts when I was 15, and I published a novel set in it in 2013. Yeah, China Mieville got there with some slipstream ideas first, but I had no idea he existed!

I’ve read his stuff now, and when I read his stuff I think… This is a really bad career move right now, I understand I’m taking to a journalist, but I think… “Yeah, I’m way better than this”.

RPS: Ohoohohoo!

Kurvitz: (laughs) Yeah, I like his ideas with slipstream, though I don’t like the name “slipstream”. I like his approach to genre stuff, and there are a lot of similarities here. But ours is a complete otherworld, it’s hermetically sealed off, it’s like Lord of the Rings. We’re deep, deep geeks, this isn’t meant for people to go over and go “hnnnngr, what very interesting genre bending”. This is just D&D nerds who wanted to have a telephone in the game.

At the same time, personally I come from soviet science fiction authors, the Strugatsky brothers kind of stuff, who also do a lot of reality bending. I am aware of China Mieville though, yeah.

Jesus gently caress, did I just say in an interview that I’m better than China Mieville? Oh gently caress it, let’s go with it, whatever.

:worship: :worship: