Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm doing my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/hotdealz2/status/1185336753764343814?s=21

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sagebrush posted:

Didn't Rosie O'Donnell do the "ching ching, wing wong" Chinese joke or was that also Roseanne?

Late 2006.

quote:

Rosie O'Donnell is sorry you don't get her sense of humor—and that she might have offended you. And she's pretty sure it won't happen again.

The loose-lipped View host has issued something of an apology for repeatedly using the phrase "ching chong" while speaking in mock Chinese tones last week, saying that she "never intended to hurt anyone."

"This apparently was very offensive to a lot of Asian people," she said on Thursday's show, going on to note that she didn't realize she had crossed a P.C. line until she chatted about the incident with an Asian staff member.

"So apparently 'ching-chong,' unbeknownst to me, is a very offensive way to make fun, quote unquote, or mock, Asian accents. Some people have told me it's as bad as the N-word. I was like, really? I didn't know that."

While O'Donnell said she was "sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground" with the taunt, she also claimed that, as far as her comments go, "there's a good chance that I'll do something like that again."

"Not on purpose," she added.

Unsurprisingly, the provisional mea culpa didn't sit well with at least one Asian organization.

Karen Lincoln Michel, president of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., told the Associated Press that O'Donnell's words "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

"I think by alowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," she said, adding that one of the comic's cohosts should have stepped in when the remarks were first made.

Last week, while describing the media sensation caused by Danny DeVito's seemingly drunken appearance on the show, O'Donnell hypothesized that the story had global impact.

"The fact is that it's news all over the world," she said on the Dec. 5 show. "You know, you can imagine in China it's like, 'Ching-chong, ching-chong. Danny DeVito. Ching-chong, ching-chong-chong. Drunk. The View. Ching-chong.'"

While O'Donnell's fellow coffee talkers were brought to chuckles by the commentary, some in the Asian community weren't.

New York City Councilman John C. Liu fired off a letter to View matron Barbara Walters, scolding the TV vet for allowing the "derogatory remarks" to be allowed on air. O'Donnell's words, he wrote, "have consequences beyond the stupidity of the person who made them."

The Asian-American Journalists Association also got in on the reproaching act, calling O'Donnell's ill-advised impression "insulting," and said it characterized Chinese as being "substandard to English-speaking people."

O'Donnell shot back, though in less apologetic tones than her latest on-air contrition.

"I certainly hope that one day they will be able to grasp her humor," the comic's rep, Cindi Berger, said earlier this week.

It's not the first time in recent weeks the former Queen of Nice has offended.

Last month, O'Donnell engaged in a headline-grabbing tiff with Kelly Ripa over Clay Aiken. Responding to an incident on Live with Regis and Kelly in which the guest-hosting American Idol alum covered Ripa's mouth, prompting Ripa to crack that she didn't know where his hand had been, O'Donnell blasted Ripa for making what O'Donnell deemed a homophobic comment.

Ripa defended herself by calling in to the View, saying O'Donnell's claims of homophobia were "outrageous." In that case, O'Donnell failed to offer a formal apology, with the twosome apparently agreeing to disagree.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If only she'd waited another decade she could have parlayed that incident into a speaking tour about the dangers of cancel culture.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mind the walrus posted:

I'm doing my part.

I'm doing my part!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i literally thought volcel was a posadist joke but here we are

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I didn't know making fun of a language was making fun a language! And people find being mocked disrespectful? Crazy world! Guess I'm sorry or something." -Rosie O'Donnell

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
To add to Rosie O'donnell chat: around the time of the election, she posted on Twitter that she wondered if Trump's youngest kid may have autism, which a lot of folks felt was in poor taste. Whether he is or is not, publicly armchair-diagnosing a child with autism seems a little unnecessary.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I had half an rear end in a top hat response typed out until I remembered Barron.

Poor kid. :(

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Barron is the only Trump i feel any sympathy for at all. i hope he can get out of his family's shadow somehow.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

razorrozar posted:

Barron is the only Trump i feel any sympathy for at all. i hope he can get out of his family's shadow somehow.

I'm sure that feeling of sympathy will be a comfort to you when he's in his mid-20s grifting his way to being a trillionaire while the rest of us scrounge for scraps in a drowning world.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I can't be assed to do more research, but I believe a lot of the "signs of autism!!!" that folks point to in Barron are either him just being shy, or..you know...a kid who gets tired and/or bored during long political ceremonies.

Remember when folks came after the Obama daughters for having "nasty looks" on their faces during his inauguration or whatever that was? Because apparently a teenager (who no doubt feels they have "better things to do", real or imagined) not sitting through an hours-long ceremony with a perma-grin the entire time is apparently completely unheard of and a sign of our failing country.

Kids of politicians (like, literal kids, not Trump's adult shitheads) get way too much scrutiny and I always sympathize with them. Although...

Memento posted:

I'm sure that feeling of sympathy will be a comfort to you when he's in his mid-20s grifting his way to being a trillionaire while the rest of us scrounge for scraps in a drowning world.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

razorrozar posted:

Give him a big enough train and he'll have a better shadow to sit under.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Picnic Princess posted:

"I didn't know making fun of a language was making fun a language! And people find being mocked disrespectful? Crazy world! Guess I'm sorry or something." -Rosie O'Donnell

Up there with Roseann after she called a black woman an ape her apology was, "I thought the bitch was white!"

And also ambien?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Memento posted:

look, if and when that happens then ill adjust my opinion. im not made of stone. but im not gonna poo poo on a kid whose only crime is being related to a bunch of pond scum in human form. he's done nothing wrong as of yet.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

razorrozar posted:

look, if and when that happens then ill adjust my opinion. im not made of stone. but im not gonna poo poo on a kid whose only crime is being related to a bunch of pond scum in human form. he's done nothing wrong as of yet.

So you're saying you're a 'Wait till baby Hitler grows up, commits the crimes against humanity and then kill him' kind of guy?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wouldn't that imply being Baby Hitler and being aware of it though?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

razorrozar posted:

Nahh that's cool, I'm a pretty big pessimist but I'm not going to poo poo on you for not being one.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MariusLecter posted:

So you're saying you're a 'Wait till baby Hitler grows up, commits the crimes against humanity and then kill him' kind of guy?

not at all. but we know what hitler would grow up to do. Barron deserves a chance. everyone does.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

Baby Hitler was shaped by his material conditions. If you go back and drown Baby Hitler Prime there’s probably about a dozen other potential Hitler babies that will crawl up to take his place.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

christmas boots posted:

Baby Hitler was shaped by his material conditions. If you go back and drown Baby Hitler Prime there’s probably about a dozen other potential Hitler babies that will crawl up to take his place.

tv show: a dimension-hopping assassin gets into wacky situations as he gets rid of a new baby hitler every episode

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

i remember being like 7 and my older sister was taking high school French and she had, like, Le Petit Prince which is in cursive and also in French, so i thought cursive was French writing (like how Arabic and Chinese and Russian etc have their own writing) and was super impressed that my mom was like writing her shopping list in French and poo poo. my dad doesn't write in cursive and also doesn't know french so that tracked for a while

Funnily enough I saw this on FB earlier today.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

christmas boots posted:

Hell every Proud Boy and similar dry dog turd is a potential Hitler baby, just now the English and Russians would be on his side so it'll surely work for him this time around. :downs:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Probably today's best meltdown. She may not have a chance at the Presidency, but she did get to be Twitter's main character.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1185289626409406464

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You missed the best part: she kept the people at her rally waiting for god knows how long so she could go on Tucker Carlsons lovely show instead.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
for some reason this came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6i-gYRAwM0

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

christmas boots posted:

sorry for those people who felt hurt

Seriously, how hard is it for people to just say "sorry to the people I hurt" instead of "sorry if you were offended"?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, how hard is it for people to just say "sorry to the people I hurt" instead of "sorry if you were offended"?

Because admitting fault ever means you forfeit any and all claim to authority and respect.

(actually it makes you better liked and respected but some people never learn this their entire lives)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Weird Al had a really good apology about using 'spastic' in one of his songs. I always look at this as a pretty solid mea culpa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alyankovic/status/490724534513700864

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Antioch posted:

Weird Al had a really good apology about using 'spastic' in one of his songs. I always look at this as a pretty solid mea culpa.

he's such a wholesome guy

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

razorrozar posted:

he's such a wholesome guy

Getting to meet him after a concert is one of my best memories. He's genuinely happy to meet fans.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah the main thing in an apology is to show that you understand that your reasons for doing the thing- as excusable as they may be!- matter way less than the harm inflicted by the thing you actually did, and that remedying that harm matters to you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Baby Hitler was shaped by his material conditions. If you go back and drown Baby Hitler Prime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqUdga7jCQ

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

99% of these online blowups could have been solved with a simple:

I'm sorry. I said <some things, not repeating the actual slur> that were offensive.

I should have realized they were offensive but I messed up.

I'm sorry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Antioch posted:

There used to be a Transformer called Spastic. It did not make it to the UK.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Seized at the border?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL mais bien sûr

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1185407428248006657

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Antioch posted:

Frank Zappa next?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Eschenique posted:

Frank Zappa next?

That would be quite a trick. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eschenique posted:

It's not really satire anymore when 99% of readers are right wingers that agree and share it.

Especially that antifa one is well within the realm of straight faced right with content.

This is just a left-wing "Yea its fake but it makes u think", friend.