Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Good news the rugby 9s on foxtel only have betting ap ads between games. Not during.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Gridlocked posted:

Good news the rugby 9s on foxtel only have betting ap ads between games. Not during.

Lots of good earnest lols goin around tonight thanks everyone

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

fauna posted:

quality goonmeet concept

Jogging! Are you mad?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I did this.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of tradies it's a loving crime how much TAFE costs now. That should be like 500 bux a year max not in the 6k region.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

hooman posted:

Speaking of tradies it's a loving crime how much TAFE costs now. That should be like 500 bux a year max not in the 6k region.
i will do it. i will achieve the hecs high score

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Need reasonable gatekeeping on all this stuff to keep poors out of the jobs they don't want according to scormon

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my local tafe just hired a million admin assistants, like at least ten admin assistants with slightly different titles. at my last two tafes (perpetual student lol) teachers were visibly distraught at the amount of paperwork they had to complete now, they all said it took them multiple hours per day and most weren't personalities prone to exaggeration. this paperwork inundation seems to be very recent, definitely an abbott thing; combined with funding cuts, and basically at the moment tafe is spending all its money on admin assistants to work through unnecessary paperwork to meet bizarre regulations imposed on them by the government

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

One thing that surprised me with the horse racing thing is the implied assumption that people think that all working/pet animals retire to a home for the rest of their lives once their useful period has passed. I assumed everyone assumed that most horses that can no longer show jump / horse race / give pony rides / pull carts ends up at the glue factory / knackery and have always done so.

I guess I should have realized from the seemingly strong resistance to destroying the Mount Kosciuszko horses that are tearing up the environment there that there is a romanticism of horses that is only increasing as people interact with the environment less and less.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

people really are weird about horses. the number of people who get a bit of money and randomly buy a horse when they've never actually cared for a horse or interacted with horses in any meaningful way and have no idea how to take care of them, it's insane. then you see them trying to sell the horses on gumtree for $400

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

JBP posted:

I represent the lurkers or as I call them "the quiet posters" of this thread

citation needed

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

I represent the lurkers or as I call them "the quiet posters" of this thread

Bigly wrong.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

fauna posted:

people really are weird about horses. the number of people who get a bit of money and randomly buy a horse when they've never actually cared for a horse or interacted with horses in any meaningful way and have no idea how to take care of them, it's insane. then you see them trying to sell the horses on gumtree for $400

Had an insane wife-and-kids beating psycho living next door to me for most of my childhood that bought a horse for one of his daughters when they all lived on the side of a hill and had absolutely no space for it, and kept it roped up in a close by park for a short while. No idea what ended up happening to it but knowing the kind of person he was I have nothing but unpleasant guesses.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

fauna posted:

and then they become the editor of Meanjin

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Ya its bad, but its not the worst and got to watch something when I eat dinner :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Electric Wrigglies posted:

One thing that surprised me with the horse racing thing is the implied assumption that people think that all working/pet animals retire to a home for the rest of their lives once their useful period has passed. I assumed everyone assumed that most horses that can no longer show jump / horse race / give pony rides / pull carts ends up at the glue factory / knackery and have always done so.

I honestly thought the horse destruction issue was worse that what 4Corners said. My belief is that only horses like Winx ever make it to an actual retirement (Even then, she's been screwed for all she's worth for breeding right now before she gets a pasture) and only 1% of race horses escape the glue factory in their prime. Most anything else gets sent for breeding before becoming glue after their usefulness there is over.

And I'm certain all those people coming forward from the industry blubbering about how cruel and only a few rotten trainers etc etc etc know quite drat well how it really works while bowing down to the Holy Gambling Dollar.

Ban the whole industry, destroy Randwick and Flemington, turn the racecourses into public space. Oh and while I'm at it, Alan Jones gets put on trial for being a piece of utter rephensible poo poo. Sentence if found guilty will be thrown off the Harbour Bridge.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ban the whole industry, destroy Randwick and Flemington, turn the racecourses into public space. Oh and while I'm at it, Alan Jones gets put on trial for being a piece of utter rephensible poo poo. Sentence if found guilty will be thrown off the Harbour Bridge.

Lol

If

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ban the whole industry, destroy Randwick and Flemington, turn the racecourses into public space.

They'll be converted to 10% public housing and 90% 2-4 million dollar town houses. Maybe some green on the side walks. And no public transport changes either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just tarmac the tracks and get some NASCAR races over here, people would love that

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I like to think we’ve come a long way from ‘kill yourself’ to ‘someone should kill you’, at least from a legal standpoint

What has happened while I've been away?

You finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Oh, drat you! God drat you all to hell!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Comstar posted:

They'll be converted to 10% public housing and 90% 2-4 million dollar town houses. Maybe some green on the side walks. And no public transport changes either.

And still would be far more of a good use of that space.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/nick__w/status/1185314759635161088

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

"Drowning woman flails arms desperarely at crowd of disengaged spectators"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Real hosed up grift here

https://mobile.twitter.com/ginarush/status/1184937939064643584

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Comstar posted:

JBP posted:

Just tarmac the tracks and get some NASCAR races over here, people would love that

The Newcastle experience summed up pretty well here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The Newcastle experience summed up pretty well here.
Yep...

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Newcastle and Bathurst are the only two places I can think of where people know and care about what brand of tyres they have

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What do Fair Dinkums argue about now that we don't build cars?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

What do Fair Dinkums argue about now that we don't build cars?

race

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

horse races and racists are bad

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why would they argue about something they've always agreed on?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Burning it all down on the way out, I see.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

What has happened while I've been away?

You finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Oh, drat you! God drat you all to hell!

Hi BB! Welcome home. How have you been mate?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I honestly thought the horse destruction issue was worse that what 4Corners said. My belief is that only horses like Winx ever make it to an actual retirement (Even then, she's been screwed for all she's worth for breeding right now before she gets a pasture) and only 1% of race horses escape the glue factory in their prime. Most anything else gets sent for breeding before becoming glue after their usefulness there is over.

And I'm certain all those people coming forward from the industry blubbering about how cruel and only a few rotten trainers etc etc etc know quite drat well how it really works while bowing down to the Holy Gambling Dollar.

But more to it than that, I expected most people go to the races and assume that the horses end up as glue - i.e. they are comfortable with that being the case.

I see the ABC is actively trying to gee it up as a big thing and it might prove successful. I am not sure what the purpose of the campaign is apart from stroking the ego of the ABC / journalist team that was able to change and sway public opinion on something otherwise inconsequential to the lives of the journalists.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Most punters don't give a poo poo. Why do you think they have a special tent to slaughter them in ready to go.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I'm curious what people actually thought happened to these horses. Giving an animal a name is pretty much always just prolonging the inevitable.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm curious what people actually thought happened to these horses. Giving an animal a name is pretty much always just prolonging the inevitable.

Tbf this applies to humans too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who would have thought "Money Winner" and "Lucrative Investment" would be shot in the head after losing.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Government is horrible, but I need to fight the power somehow. I have dollars but little time. Who should I donate to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bee posted:

Government is horrible, but I need to fight the power somehow. I have dollars but little time. Who should I donate to?

https://www.alp.org.au/donate/